Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FeatherFloat
Dec 31, 2003

Not kyuute

DrakePegasus posted:

Tho’ Clouds of Discourse threaten

and Hot Takes shall be quote

no Goonly Soul will dare to miss

the Update that Sang wrote!

:golfclap:

I am already so excited to see where this goes, just based on the trailer analysis! Those are some very interesting points, and I do agree with you that the Stormblood trailer has a different mood and feeling than the two that came before it. I could never really put my finger on the exact intent behind it, but you've given me something to think on regarding that. We're off to a great start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Time to go on the offensive. :clint:

At least you don't have to deal with Raubahn Savage right out of the gate like most of us did!

Ibblebibble posted:

Fun fact: noone knew it was Lyse/Yda when the first preview trailer dropped. Also, everyone thought it was a sign that Dancer was coming.

This was completely me when the trailer dropped. And then I was slightly miffed about it until the Shadowbringers trailer dropped.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
Hell yeah, excited to see you start this.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Just as a Public Service Announcement, there will be a degree of delay before any further updates come along. My last news in the HW thread was that you could expect this thread in about a week because I'm taking advantage of my vacation to write ahead. But since today was my 1st Anniversary I decided to just go ahead and put the thread out there as a bit of a celebration. So, sorry about the wait :)

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

Roluth posted:

And here we go. I'll leave the story bits aside for now, but I will say one thing.

Stormblood was the first time that the job system was reworked in the history of the MMO.
The mechanical changes introduced with Stormblood were utterly fantastic, bringing in so much quality of life stuff that made a world of difference. Shadowbringers would do more of the same, and even Endwalker added a few nice things to our plate... but Stormblood was probably the biggest leap.

One small change that amuses me: The penalty for being raised. Before Stormblood, it lowered all your stats... including Vitality, lowering your health and making it easier for you to die again. 4.0 changed that.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Thundarr posted:

Stuff

I'll be honest as someone who first-timed this stuff in recent years: The community meme of "Raubahn (Extreme)" sounds like it's a huge spoiler for something, even though it's just a nostalgic nickname for the servers melting down during launch, an obstacle those of us who follow will have no memory of. Maybe people will have memories to share whenever we reach that meltdown chokepoint, but since this thread is even more spoiler-sensitive than most FF community threads, I just want to share that clarification because great googly moogly did I get grumpy the first time somebody used that phrase around me and made me think I was being spoiled about something.

Yapping Eevee posted:

The penalty for being raised. Before Stormblood, it lowered all your stats... including Vitality, lowering your health and making it easier for you to die again.

How very Asheron's Call of them.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Sanguinia posted:

Just as a Public Service Announcement, there will be a degree of delay before any further updates come along. My last news in the HW thread was that you could expect this thread in about a week because I'm taking advantage of my vacation to write ahead. But since today was my 1st Anniversary I decided to just go ahead and put the thread out there as a bit of a celebration. So, sorry about the wait :)

Excellent. More .gif making training time.

Archive footage of a Warrior readying for the war.

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Whoooo, ground floor! Really excited to see more quality analysis of the game's writing as we move into probably the most contentious expansion.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

I have A Lot of Opinions ready to go, and I genuinely look forward to seeing how yours compare. :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i'm pleased to be looking forward to it, yes yes.

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Finished my own journey through the 4.0 MSQ a few days ago, so I'm interested to see how you end up feeling about it or if your analysis can change my mind about some of the rougher bits.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

trying to contemplate how much the thread icon actually applies to stormblood

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Kerrzhe posted:

It's always time for Metal Wolf Chaos.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Kerrzhe posted:

The title's got me wondering.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Attack on Titan had been mentioned to me several times as a really good show and so I'd gone out of my way to not learn anything about it. I'd heard that it was a dark gritty show about war and so I naturally assumed that it was a sci-fi show and that Titan referred to the moon of Saturn and there were going to be spaceships and space battles.

Imagine my surprise just now when I watched those opening credits, then. On the plus side after skimming the start of the Wikipedia entry I now, sort of, understand why the credits featured a bunch of naked guys.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Jun 9, 2022

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015
Anyway the opening post was great and I continue to look forward to your analysis. I'd never heard anyone talk about the relationship of the temple of Rhalgr to Vishnu and Shiva, for example.

I'm sure you'll fit it in at the appropriate time, but I'm really looking forward to seeing you go through the Monk quests. I think you'll really enjoy them, especially the ARR ones.

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

That expansion trailer definitely sold me on being a MNK, no doubt about that. It’s the job I point to as being my favorite in the modern day after its Endwalker revisions, and my character’s aesthetics wouldn’t be complete without the ability to simply punch.

bladeworksmaster fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Jun 9, 2022

wokow6
Oct 19, 2013
LET'S GOOOO!

So hyped to see you go through this expansion.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Some people don't like Stormblood, and those people are wrong. This is going to be good.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

FuturePastNow posted:

Some people don't like Stormblood, and those people are wrong. This is going to be good.

It introduced the best class, Samurai, how could people not like Stormblood.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Allarion posted:

I wasn’t around for the HW trailer drop, so I can’t quite comment on that, but a note on the SB trailer. It actually has two different releases, and this pattern would continue with Shadowbringers and Endwalker, where there’s a teaser version before everything from the current final patch is done, and then the full version later after all event have been resolved. The teaser version dropped before the second half of 3.5 dropped so it was before the reveal that Yda was Lyse, as well as her new look. It might be worth looking up the teaser version just to sort of see what they decided to save for the big reveal with the full version, since the original teaser only had the statue fight. So before HW fully ended, we had an idea that we were headed for Ala Mhigo, but didn’t know the exact events that would lead to it, as well as not knowing who Lyse was. The full trailer reveal then was a big hype moment when it made that sudden jump over to the East to reveal we were also headed there, alongside the samurai job reveal.

My personal favorite part of this: Lyse's outfit here, and the fact we didn't get the monk stuff, meant that lots of people thought she was a dancer and it was a tease for that class.

Anyway, Blood of Storms time!

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Here we go. It's gonna be interesting to see how this lands in 2022.

Staggy
Mar 20, 2008

Said little bitch, you can't fuck with me if you wanted to
These expensive
These is red bottoms
These is bloody shoes

Really looking forward to your take on this!

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
LET'S GOOOOOO

Always a pleasure to see you around Eorzea. Looking forward to this!

Kerzoro
Jun 26, 2010

Welcome to Stormblood! Hope you enjoy your adventure.

I began playing FF14 by the tail end of Heavensward. I cleared the MSQ just before SB was announced. By the time it was, I was pretty drat hype about the game.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
Storm of blood.
So much blood.
Whys there so much blo-ood?

Words I heard once that now live rent free in my head and pop out whenever I hear certain tunes or just think about the expansion. Anyway, looking forward to this!

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i'll never get tired of the STORM OF BLOOD BORN FROM BLOOD chorus

Zanael
Jan 30, 2007

Finn 3:16 says I just licorice
whipped your peppermint ass
Welcome to Stormblood :yeshaha:

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Allarion posted:

I wasn’t around for the HW trailer drop, so I can’t quite comment on that, but a note on the SB trailer. It actually has two different releases, and this pattern would continue with Shadowbringers and Endwalker, where there’s a teaser version before everything from the current final patch is done, and then the full version later after all event have been resolved. The teaser version dropped before the second half of 3.5 dropped so it was before the reveal that Yda was Lyse, as well as her new look. It might be worth looking up the teaser version just to sort of see what they decided to save for the big reveal with the full version, since the original teaser only had the statue fight. So before HW fully ended, we had an idea that we were headed for Ala Mhigo, but didn’t know the exact events that would lead to it, as well as not knowing who Lyse was. The full trailer reveal then was a big hype moment when it made that sudden jump over to the East to reveal we were also headed there, alongside the samurai job reveal.
While we're waiting, now's an opportunity to give a bit of a timeline of information being released to the public in the lead-in to the expansion (keeping unseen content details vague or outright removed if they're not part of the expected pattern):

The Final Fantasy XIV Fan Festival (FanFest for short, generally) is their preferred avenue to reveal new expansions (though COVID's done a bit of a number with the regular scheduling in the past years, so this broke tradition for Endwalker) - conventions held in North America, Europe, and Japan where they do a bit of a live letter to kick off ceremonies featuring more and more details as they progress until by the third FanFest they've shown off enough to get the basic shape of the expansion, if not the hows or whys. (They also do a lot of panels to talk about behind the scenes stuff and so forth, and sometimes have special fights set up for participants to try and clear in a limited amount of time - as mentioned in the Heavensward LP, Proto Ultima from Dun Scaith was one of these.)

Patch 3.4 was released September 26th, 2016. This was the showdown with the Warriors of Darkness, as you recall, and also catching up with Yda/Lyse and Papalymo and meeting the (false) Griffin.

North America FanFest 2016 was held on October 14-15th, 2016. Things of note announced at this FanFest: Stormblood was revealed the name of the expansion, the first part of the trailer was played (the monk portion), one of the new towns was shown off (in concept art, at least), a 4th housing district was stated to be on its way (at the time, there was only The Lavender Beds, Mist, and the Goblet), an inventory expansion was promised (we actually have extra storage space from Heavensward's time, but Kheris has already had the expanded space since beginning her quest), they mentioned the skill system rework (talked up earlier, how we went from cross-class abilities to role actions), and that this would mark the end of PS3 support. YoshiP was wearing a Scarlet Witch t-shirt. (Teasing but not actually yet revealing Red Mage as one of the new jobs.)

Patch 3.45 was released November 1st, 2016. This added the post-Edda floors of Palace of the Dead, and some further steps of the Anima weapon.

Japan FanFest 2016 was held on December 24-25th, 2016. Things of note announced at this FanFest: Red Mage was shown off, as well as one of the trial bosses and the themes for the expansion's Normal Raid series (e.g. Alexander) and Alliance Raid series (e.g. Shadows of Mhach). YoshiP was wearing a Sam Raimi Spider-Man t-shirt. (Teasing but not actually revealing Samurai as one of the new jobs. There was actually some hot debate on what the shirts meant at the time, with some people not actually believing that "Sam Raimi = SAM(u)RAI" and thinking that Spider-Man was the real hint.)

Patch 3.5 was released January 17, 2017. This actually only covered up until immediately after the events at Baelsar's Wall, while Papalymo's spell was still visible in the sky. (Notably, Gosetsu had not yet made his appearance.)

Europe FanFest 2017 was held on February 18-19th, 2017. Things of note announced at this FanFest: The full cinematic trailer was played, Samurai was shown off, another one of the trial bosses was displayed, as well as several new zones and what the new housing district would be. They also showed off the Benchmark Demo (which got released fairly soon afterwards - these are, of course, meant to benchmark performance for how well your computer can play the game, but also show off in-game zones, features, battles, music, new abilities, etc. They're fun because you can import your character appearance data so that the REAL Warrior of Light can do a trailer once in a while. But it should go without saying that these Benchmarks are also somewhat spoilery for the purposes of the LP.)

Patch 3.56 was released March 28th, 2017. This was the conclusion of the Main Scenario Quest until Stormblood's release.

June 7th, 2017 was the when they showed the Launch Trailer - definitely not to be confused with the Cinematic Trailer because it's all in-game cutscenes and definitely has a lot of (out of context) spoilery reveals. Don't watch these if you want to go in blind :v:

June 16th, 2017 was when they published the Dungeon Crawl - these are fly-throughs of at least a number, if not all, of the dungeons that will be part of an expansion's base game. Obviously spoilery here, too.

June 20th, 2017 was Stormblood's official launch date (though every expansion has an early access period for pre-ordering, so people were already playing on June 16th).

(As an extra, if belated, bonus, my notes on the Heavensward FanFest info:
North America FanFest 2014, October 17-19th: Announced Heavensward. Teaser version of the Trailer (obviously they couldn't show the Banquet scenes because that hadn't happened in-game yet). Teased Dark Knight (YoshiP was wearing a Batman t-shirt). Teased a new player race (showed a Bunny race then a big red X). Showed concept art for the Sea of Clouds and Chocobo Forest.
Europe FanFest 2014, October 24-25th: Revealed Dark Knight Job, flying mounts (Black Chocobo and Manacutter), Vanu Vanu tribe and Bismarck Primal, Gnath tribe and Ravana Primal, and teased Machinist (YoshiP was wearing a James Bond 007 t-shirt)
Japan FanFest 2014, December 20-21st: Revealed the Au Ra player race, the full cinematic trailer, Machinist and Astrologian jobs, and had the Benchmark demo for Heavensward. (If you're interested in running them for the history there's websites you can download the old benchmarks from, but Square replaces them with the newest expansion's on their own site.))

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
That's a really cool writeup! I didn't really get into the fanfest storm of speculation and hype until the next expansion, so it's a nice look back at things I missed.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

You know, your trailer reaction makes me realize that when I started proper a bit over a year ago now (I had played off and on since 1.0 but never reached level 20), I went into each of the expansions completely cold. :v: The only clues I had were the expansion name and what the patch MSQ gave me.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

a cartoon duck posted:

This, so goddamn much. Always gets my blood pumping.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

a cartoon duck posted:

You're in luck then!

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

It's Stormin Time!

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"Negotiations were going well. They were very impressed by my hat." -Issaries the Concilliator"
"Comin' out of nowhere
Drivin' like rain
Stormbringer dance
On the thunder again..."

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Sharp like an edge of a samurai sword
The mental blade cut through flesh and bone
Though my mind’s at peace, the world out of order
Missing the inner heat, life gets colder

Also nth’ing the folks looking forward to seeing your impressions of Stormblood, especially your reactions to two of the main antagonists when you first meet them.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

All I can say is...

yes yes

SMaster777
Dec 17, 2013

I wish this was my Smash main.
And so the adventure begins anew, I see.

Infected
Oct 17, 2012

Salt Incarnate

The greatest tragedy of this all is that Sanguinia won't get to experience Hissatsu: Kaiten

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Infected posted:

The greatest tragedy of this all is that Sanguinia won't get to experience Hissatsu: Kaiten

I’m sure every Samurai main will explain it when we get to Samurai.

Maybe we’ll be lucky and by that time they’ll have undone their mistake.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Jun 10, 2022