Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

Initial results from this new campaign where I'm putting almost everyone towards their secret bonus class are mixed. Felix and Sylvain are both thriving as mages, and Mercedes is doing well as an archer with a magic bow.

Rodrigue and Annette, though, are turning out mediocre. They're both natively magic characters, but I'm putting them into physical classes, and the result so far is that they're both gaining okay-ish amounts of both STR and MAG without doing well at either.

Time will tell whether cavalier Flayn and brigand Hapi will follow suit.

Annette with her hero axe Crusher is incredible because it uses her magic stat to calculate damage. Best Wyvern Rider.

What are secret bonus classes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Azure Gleam ends up being worse then Silver Snow and that’s a fuckin accomplishment

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

Annette with her hero axe Crusher is incredible because it uses her magic stat to calculate damage. Best Wyvern Rider.

What are secret bonus classes?

Every character gets an extra trait from finishing one particular master rank class, usually one you wouldn't typically associate with the character, and some of these secret bonuses are very strong.

Gatekeeper's gimmick as a character is that he gets a secret bonus from every master class.

The secret classes for each character:

Shez: Dark Knight

Dimitri: Great Knight
Dedue: Warmaster
Felix: Dark Bishop
Sylvain: Dark Bishop
Ashe: Dark Knight
Ingrid: Bow Knight
Mercedes: Bow Knight
Annette: Wyvern Lord
Rodrigue: Great Knight

Claude: Wyvern Lord
Lorenz: Mortal Savant
Raphael: Holy Knight
Ignatz: Dark Bishop
Hilda: Great Knight
Lysithea: Mortal Savant
Marianne: Holy Knight
Leonie: Falcon Knight
Holst: Dark Bishop

Edelgard: Gremory
Dorothea: Holy Knight
Petra: Falcon Knight
Bernie: Great Knight
Hubert: Dark Knight
Ferdinand: Great Knight
Linhardt: Trickster
Caspar: Dark Knight
Monica: Trickster

Yuri: Bow Knight
Balthus: Dark Bishop
Hapi: Wyvern Lord
Constance: Falcon Knight

Seteth: Holy Knight
Flayn: Dark Knight
Manuela: Trickster
Catherine: Holy Knight
Shamir: Trickster
Jeritza: Wyvern Lord
Byleth: Holy Knight
Jeralt: Warmaster

Rhea: Gremory
Sothis: Mortal Savant
Arval: Wyvern Lord

My new game, aside from Shez who I completed Dark Knight with in Golden Wildfire, I'm gunning everyone for their bonus class.

Cythereal fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Jan 23, 2023

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Mortal Savant Lysithea with Thunderbrand in particular is a monster, very fun to play

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

Cythereal posted:

Every character gets an extra trait from finishing one particular master rank class, usually one you wouldn't typically associate with the character,

Eh, the majority of them boil down to the character's (innate) talents or preferred secondary class in Houses. I guess they'd be harder to suss out if you haven't played it, but most of that list would've been my first guess.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

roomtwofifteen posted:

Truly a shame that any hope for DLC is dead :( would've loved those characters added in

Has this been confirmed or is everyone assuming "no DLC" because a new mainline game dropped first?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Has this been confirmed or is everyone assuming "no DLC" because a new mainline game dropped first?

the game's been out for seven months with not so much as a peep about dlc, that isnt really how nintendo or koei has ever handled dlc for games that actually got it

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I actually already leveled up some of those characters in those classes, or took them down those routes. Interesting!

Some make perfect sense like training the horsey bois in magic. Also Felix since he’s a Mortal Savant with decent magic.

Edit: I think there’s a relic bow with Mercedes’ crest, I guess it makes sense that she would be a bow knight.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
"She is utterly exhausting."

- Dimitri on Bernadetta, saying what everyone feels but few ever have the courage to say.

Shinji117
Jul 14, 2013
Dimitri is the last person who gets to complain about others being emotionally exhausting to deal with, lmao.

Shinji117 fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Jan 24, 2023

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Cythereal posted:

"She is utterly exhausting."

- Dimitri on Bernadetta, saying what everyone feels but few ever have the courage to say.

You shut your mouth about my waifu

Also, I just got the tutorial about innate abilities so clearly I hadn’t mastered any secret bonus classes yet. Leonie has Sol now, though! Which is awesome!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I mean, I do like Bernie, but I do think she runs her schtick into the ground.

They do go up to an A support, though, so I'm curious if it's going to make noises about actually pairing them off.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Why won’t the game give me an A rank rusty knuckles or whatever so I can get that one achievement for repairing dragon claws?!?!

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Discovery: the Azure Dagger (the item from giving Dimitri the merc whistle, thereby giving Shez Azure Lightning) is loving nuts if you have male Shez and go for warmaster. The lightning effect when you launch enemies starts getting really spammy on a brawler.

Definitely making Dimitri himself a warmaster the next time I play Azure Gleam. Until then I'm enjoying myself immensely.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I finished Golden Wildfire, maybe the most complete story? It’s the only one where you kill Rhea and know that she is actually dead which was kind of surprising. Didn’t address the Slitherers, though. None of them really address the end of the war, either, which sucks!

I tried the secret paralogue and I was able to limp my way to victory but couldn’t get an S rank because of damage. Shez was lv 88 but then was 90 by the end. I had a Knight Captain’s Sword +40 and yet was barely chipping away at the generals. I’ll try again some other time. I have tons of achievements left but some of them are stupid, like having to do 100 expeditions and presumably get 100 perfect convos? Beating a general while at maximum advantage? Killing x commanders while at a disadvantage? Killing x enemies with a battalion that resists them? Seems like a lot of nonsense.

I will do a Scarlet Blaze maddening playthrough with the alternate path at some point, for now I am moving on to FE Engage.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Golden Wildfire is easily the best route this time around since it actually makes Claude into a complete and fully realized character unlike Three Houses and has an actual sort of finale.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
been playing this again recently because i only ever did the Golden Wildfire route on release + a little bit of Azure Moon before i became terminally bored of dimitri

out of everyone i think the black eagles class might be the funniest motivation-wise. Bernadetta agreed to come because she got social anxiety over saying no to Edelgard, and Dorothea is apparently ride or die with Edelgard after being classmates for two (2) months. I love how it's even lampshaded by Hubert after you take Garreg Mach. "You were here for a mere two months, does the sight of this place really necessitate such bad poetry?" "I was quoting an opera. ...But yes, maybe I got a little carried away." :allears:

as a side note: its still hosed up we never got a sidestory Slitherers DLC, or anything satisfying re: arval's backstory. I wanted a neo-shambhala map to play around on!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
Shez is the best fire emblem character and she’s not even an official one.