Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
The only thing we should want back for Starfield is decent writing, which will never happen again, because all of the people who wrote Morrowind are either former drug addicts, or boomers. Hiring them to write a new game would probably end up like Outer Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i think i got that gun just by jamming or twitching my body through it a bit and it let me grab it from behind the case, your character does mention that treasure too when you come across it which is the same as many dialogues in Morrowind telling you or alluding to "this sneaky guy his this stuff somewhere out of town." I like when the treasure exists in the world and folks know about it one way or the other, not so much when I can smell them baking the quest and generating the enemies and quest item in some random location.

I don't hate Skyrim just cause I hate radiant quests in conjunction with build-a-bear dungeons getting old fast.

morrowind's got a ton of problems, they all do, their whole franchise is a work in progress. the specific thing I'm praising about morrowind there is something they're claiming they did more of for this game than they did Morrowind or others. nobody ever praised morrowind for dice rolling your sword at a mudcrab for a minute and half or a barter system where your best bet was finding the secret mudcrab merchant to cut down on the hassle of selling loot in menus.

some things are also going to be more memorable in it also just because you had to go looking for everything yourself. it's not inherently better gameplay that there is no map marker or batman vision to help locate important objects, a lot of the cool items they hid are poo poo most people won't ever find even if someone told them it was hidden in that specific tomb. modern markers help cut out some of that time eyeballing generic dungeon and container textures looking for super hidden trinkets or regular quest objectives whose location only exists in a couple of dialogues buried in your journal somewhere. but still map markers mean i can kinda amble towards the light and get what I need without thinking much about where I am or how I got here, so I'm going to remember that stuff less. skyrim dungeons even politely dump you out at the entrances so you don't reinforce that space you just rushed through to get your new dragon magic.

good things from morrowind to bring back: athletics, levitation, acrobatics. running, jumping, becoming a superman-leaping river-hopper over the course of the game, plus being able to fly or even jump across the entire landscape. they got rid of it because they couldn't handle players trying to render that much landscape that fast, as well as trying to load in complex cities without a loading screen. makes sense to come back in a game with mixed gravities and jetpacks and such.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

90% of my Fallout 4 plays was spent building settlements. I loved it.

Stuff like that in a game with typical Bethesda gameplay mechanics is like crack to me.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

That sounds like boring dogshit imo

Thank you for being brave enough to say what everybody was thinking

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

7c Nickel posted:

In no sense is it the better option unless you are unhappy when people enjoy things you don't. No one is going to force you to land and fully explore every random iceball in the game.

I think that the landscapes significantly improved from oblivion to skyrim and I think that is because they spent more time in skyrim hand detailing everything, whereas oblivion is just a lot of generated/basically assembled terrain with trees on it.

I don't think oblivion is better for having lots of filler space in it, so if the procgen cannot produce good stuff, it can certainly be better to leave it out rather than using it to fill in the game. No Man's Sky for example really suffers from its extremely bland procedural generation which has maybe half a dozen things it likes to do so you just end up visiting the same planet over and over again with a different colour grass if you're lucky (also NMS has a lot of other things wrong with it but for a game where that is supposedly the selling point, the procedural generation is extremely bad)

Really does depend on the quality of the generation, I like a lot of the big geographic features shown in the demo but we will have to wait and see whether it can do enough things to keep it interesting.

I would say that something like minecraft especially with the later terrain models, can produce interesting landscapes and that interacts well with the gimmick of that game which is to build stuff, you can look around for a nice place to build things. If they can make the outpost building game interesting in this then that could also allow for a reason to explore, but I'm not super optimistic about that given that FO4 did not have much mechanical depth to its building even if I did enjoy the amount of customization you could do.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 26, 2022

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

People are comparing a thousand empty procedural worlds to No Man's Sky, but my personal experience with this kind of "gameplay" is Space Engine- a program that procedural generates the universe and you can go to all the stars in all the galaxies in the universe and visit the planets there. It gets pretty samey after a while, but there are a lot of neat things to find. You can hang out on the tidally locked moon of a gas giant with rings and watch the way the gas giant waxes and wanes over the course of a day, suspended in the same place in the sky, perhaps perpetually looming on the horizon.

I'd never bother exploring worlds like that, and if a game made me actually walk around and gather resources in the boring vast emptiness of dead worlds, I'd probably resent it.

But that's not what the empty worlds are for in Starfield. They're for making houses with sweet views. Honestly, that is probably the most compelling way to interact with a thousand procedural worlds that you could put in a game.

Because here's the thing- space is in fact full of a ton of huge boring poo poo. There's nothing to actually explore on any other planet in our solar system, other than some crazy landscapes that typically just go on repetitively forever. It doesn't matter if it's procedural in a game- a lovingly hand-crafted Mars would still just be an enormous empty desert.

So while a thousand procedural planets are not nearly as compelling as Todd Howard was implying, I think it's nifty they're there, even if a more accurate scope of the game is the fact that it has four "cities".

It's interesting that there's only four cities when you can in fact visit the Sol system, it seems. I wonder if Earth is off limits or if something happened to it.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

On the plus side we have confirmation that the handcrafted parts make up a total area that is larger than Skyrim, and Fallout 4. So that is still a lot of actual interesting content and things to do. I wonder if there will be an option to take on randomly generated missions.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

I said come in! posted:

I wonder if there will be an option to take on randomly generated missions.

I can't see how there wouldn't be. We'll probably be getting updates on 'interesting' planets and pirate outposts from PR357-0N the moment we step out of our cryopods or whatever :v:

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I dare Bethesda to create an NPC to rival Preston Garvey. He was incredible.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
I think it's incredible there are people who believe Bethesda will finally be able to create compelling environments by investing LESS effort into them. Also that somebody would voluntarily do any building in a Bethesda engine.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

steinrokkan posted:

I think it's incredible there are people who believe Bethesda will finally be able to create compelling environments by investing LESS effort into them. Also that somebody would voluntarily do any building in a Bethesda engine.

I think I mentioned this recently in this thread, but the building in Fallout 4 was the best thing about that game to me. I also loved the Hearthfire expansion for Skyrim. And judging by the gameplay trailer, Starfield has way more of that and it seems to work much better, so I can't wait for this.

It's a Bethesda RPG, these are made for messing around and doing whatever. They are my favorite kinds of games, tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I also did shitloads of building in fallout 4.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

OwlFancier posted:

I also did shitloads of building in fallout 4.

Like most people Sanctuary was my big settlement, but what I most fondly recall was meeting a single family living like courage the cowardly dog in some isolated shack that looked like it could be overrun by the first pack of ghouls to wander in, and giving them a higher standard of living - some pipe turrets, food and water, a better house etc.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

John F Bennett posted:

I also loved the Hearthfire expansion for Skyrim.
:hmmyes:

Hearthfire is the dog's bollocks.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
:sad:

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I see nothing interesting or unexpected going on in that trailer. It's going to be exactly what everyone thought it would be and a broken bug riddled mess on release.

Also I predict that one of those bugs will have carried over all the way from Morrowind.

Sensenmann
Sep 8, 2012
The first NPC you stumble upon will be stuck in a T-pose.

This is the law.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing
I never liked the settlement system in FO4. There was a little bit of fun to be had fiddling around with it, but it was never really integrated into the game. I think I would've prefer hearthfire, just with more homesteads, and more options, so you could easily make vibrant communities of settlers, or giant raider camps full of slaves. This settlement manager thing I'm hearing about for starfield sounds promising.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
At the risk of sounding like a broken record, everything I just said about settlements was actually in the context of the Horizon overhaul, which greatly increased the mechanics of settlements. But I expect the same thing to happen in Starfield so :shrug:

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
It's a long shot, but I hope Bethesda takes some cues from Sim Settlements as to how the system should work. I also spent hours making buildings in Fo4, but after Sim Settlements 2 I just can't go back, though that it mostly the fact that the mod's buildings look so much better than anything I can make :smith:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I don't expect Starfield to be earth shattering and shake up the game industry. Bethesda has never made any games like that, and that is totally fine.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I hope when you claim an area to build on a freighter jumps in or whatever they do and then drops a giant 3D printer onto your claim. The printer is housed in a big cube shaped frame that perfectly outlines the area you can build in. Then, when you place a building, the printer actually prints it. But you know, in high speed.

Anyway, that'll never happen, but one can dream.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

CommissarMega posted:

Sim Settlements 2

just checked it out and holy moly :eyepop:

Bethesda Games modders are on another level

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Somehow my brain completely skipped over this when I saw it last night.

They're just doing the story from Mass Effect. Aliens artefacts and visions? loving really? Is that the only space story people can tell now?

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
It's a Bethesda game. The story is hardly the main point.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Do you want them to be original? When Bethesda tries being original we get Fallout 4's plot.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean finding mysterious alien stuff is also the plot of like half of star trek, so it's kind of what you expect in space. Because as we've discussed, looking at weird rocks does not generally make an appealing game.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I guess I don't know what I want them to do. I can't help but note that it looks like one of the most safe and uninspired games ever made. I feel like I already know exactly what happens and that I've played it before.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'll probably just wait until it comes out and then play it.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018

Funky See Funky Do posted:

I guess I don't know what I want them to do. I can't help but note that it looks like one of the most safe and uninspired games ever made. I feel like I already know exactly what happens and that I've played it before.

I know exactly what you mean, which is one of the main selling points to me. I like their recipe and some tweaks here and there (Skyrim's leveling vs. Oblivion's, changes from FO3 to FO4) are enough.

Bethesda does not need to be innovative or original. There are others to fill that role.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

Bethesda's strengths are never in their storytelling. They fill out a very unique role in the rpg world, but nobody plays these games for the story and you should realize this before going in.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

frajaq posted:

just checked it out and holy moly :eyepop:

The trailer for Sim Settlements 2: Chapter 2 got me more hyped to play more Fallout 4 than any of the trailers for Fallout 4's official DLCs ever did, it's that good.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

John F Bennett posted:

Bethesda's strengths are never in their storytelling. They fill out a very unique role in the rpg world, but nobody plays these games for the story and you should realize this before going in.
Nobody really cares about Bethesda's Main Quests and I'm happy that the Main Quest of Starfield into a glorified fetch quest. But I think the individual stories you run into can be really memorable and good. I think my main hope is that I do run into at least a few fun little Star Trek-esque stories as I fly around, space equivalents of the Republic of Dave. And my main fear is that the side stuff ends up being generic which Fallout 4 often did which was the biggest issue.

Timeless Appeal fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Jun 28, 2022

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, while the Silver Shroud quest is amazing, there's too little outside of that in the main quest unless you go against the Brotherhood and/or the Institute (Railroad players feel free to :smugbert: here).

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Since Starfield is going back to a silent protagonist, there should be a mod that changes your place in the world and quest lines; modders will use a combination of repurposed voice lines and AI generated new lines to create new quests and new choices in existing quests.

acidx
Sep 24, 2019

right clicking is stealing

CommissarMega posted:

The trailer for Sim Settlements 2: Chapter 2 got me more hyped to play more Fallout 4 than any of the trailers for Fallout 4's official DLCs ever did, it's that good.

The DLC's work somewhat. Even the basest level settlements in sim settlements would be too much for a console. The highly upgraded ones were not even close to functioning on my PC. Just sitting there with a murdered frame rate while Kowloon walled city tries to pop in on top of you. I had to uninstall it.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
The only Fallout 4 mod needed is making it so someone might have had the idea to push a loving broom in the last two centuries.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

AlternateAccount posted:

The only Fallout 4 mod needed is

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

With it being Quakecon this weekend, will there hopefully be anything new about Starfield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

no, but good news, you can get skyrim for half off all week!