Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib
If modding works as usual, then 1000 planets is a hell of a canvas. Even presuming that for game engine and gameplay reasons, those 'planets' are probably bite-size scaled small rocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I get people complaining about oh, its another game on Bethesda's jank-as-gently caress engine, but the only thing these games have going for them are the modding tools Bethesda releases. I hope we end up getting a creation kit on par with Skyrim's.

If nothing else, having 1000 planets means there is plenty of room for modders to gently caress around with.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Was "not enough space" ever really a problem for Skyrim modders? Most mods were made to interact with the existing content, and those who did need lots of space usually just... Made their own.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I want to be able to put a brig on my ship. I want to actually take a bounty quest, fly across the system, capture a guy, throw him in the brig and come back and get my money. Then I want to pick up a bunch of cargo crates and ferry them to another system and get paid. I will do this until the heat death of the universe/my pc.

I don't care about gunplay or aliens, I just want to live out my Firefly-esque fantasies.

I look forward to being disappointed.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

I want to be able to put a brig on my ship. I want to actually take a bounty quest, fly across the system, capture a guy, throw him in the brig and come back and get my money. Then I want to pick up a bunch of cargo crates and ferry them to another system and get paid. I will do this until the heat death of the universe/my pc.

I don't care about gunplay or aliens, I just want to live out my Firefly-esque fantasies.

I really badly want this too, but there is no way it's happening.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
That's probably within the bounds of modding. You could probably rig something like that up in Skyrim / Fallout 4 right now, so it's not a stretch to think it's out of bounds for Starf.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Gonna hazard a wild guess that it'll be like having a settlement in FO4 or a house and companions in Skyrim, except it flies thru space

Yeah given how shallow base building was in FO4 (and how shallow FO4 was in general) I don't really have a lot of hope for it. I'm just thinking of how a game like FTL makes exploring a procgen galaxy with a customizable ship and a zero-personality crew very engaging

Chillgamesh fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jun 13, 2022

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG
Eventual mod:

Rimworld in Starfield

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

the "1000 planets" thing was the biggest turn off for me. it just means the design is a few set piece locations and then the other 99.9999% is just procedural filler that i won't care about at all. of course, all elder scrolls games are like that too, with the random forests and mountains being mostly generated and lightly tweaked by hand, but the ratio will be even worse in starfield.

i have nothing against procedurally generated stuff when it suits the gameplay, like enemies/levels in diablo or hades, or a crafting game like minecraft or terraria. maybe they will do something good with it, but i assume it will just be: go to this random jungle to get vines for building your settlement. ok, now go to this barren rock and get tungsten for your settlement. ok, now go to this iceworld and harvest gas for your settlement.

i'm sure i'll still play it.

Bad Purchase fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 13, 2022

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Starfeld

What's the deal with all these planets? :jerry:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Bad Purchase posted:

the "1000 planets" thing was the biggest turn off for me. it just means the design is a few set piece locations and then the other 99.9999% is just procedural filler that i won't care about at all. of course, all elder scrolls games are like that too, with the random forests and mountains being mostly generated and lightly tweaked by hand, but the ratio will be even worse in starfield.

i have nothing wrong with procedurally generated stuff when it suits the gameplay, like enemies/levels in diablo or hades, or a crafting game like minecraft or terraria. maybe they will do something good with it, but i assume it will just be: go to this random jungle to get vines for building your settlement. ok, now go to this barren rock and get tungsten for your settlement. ok, now go to this iceworld and harvest gas for your settlement.

i'm sure i'll still play it.

Yeah I'm with you there. My best hope is that there's a "core" of highly detailed planets to work with/explore and look around on, then a subset of procgen "radiant" worlds with the copypasted dungeons or resource nodes separated out from the main path.

Worst case scenario: The procgen worlds are the "locations" with one set piece location and a bunch of barren filler, and flying from planet to planet is the "overworld"

Given how Skyrim's funniest bugs involved horses or dragons, I expect the glitch compilations to be both hilarious and mostly the flight mechanic going extremely wrong.

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

Bets on which AAA actor they wasted money on for 5 minutes of VA for a throw away character?

I am glad the main character doesn't have any voiced lines.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Epi Lepi posted:

So it seemed like there was exploration, and mineral gathering, and a big "home base" kind of thing.

The demo showed fighting "pirates" so you'd have to assume pirates are stealing cargo hence why they are pirates... so I'd assume there's a sort of trade system in place.

Not sure how fun it will be, and I think they'll lock certain upgrades behind mining space rocks with a gun... but there's that.

You'll probably get some flavor of this but it'll be as fun as buying from the shop owner in some Skyrim town and then selling it to belethor or whatever. But maybe we'll be surprised.

I think the main game loop is centered around exploration rather than trade though.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
How long has this game been actively in development, do we know?

MH Knights
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah I am not getting my hopes up for this. As others have said I see so many red flags from Skyrim and Fallout 4/76 that I will hold off on this for a while. People are calling this No Man's Skyrim but I am getting way more Fallout 4/76 in space vibes.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Lexorin posted:

Bets on which AAA actor they wasted money on for 5 minutes of VA for a throw away character?

Epi Lepi posted:

the big voice talent they got was david carradine

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Epi Lepi posted:

Since at least Bethesda finished Fallout 4.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bethesda should hire kinggath (the Sim Settlements guy) to do the space base construction stuff. I'm not even joking :colbert:

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

FishMcCool posted:

If modding works as usual, then 1000 planets is a hell of a canvas. Even presuming that for game engine and gameplay reasons, those 'planets' are probably bite-size scaled small rocks.

The promise of 1000 planets sounds exactly as exciting as the 1000 "unique" office buildings in fallout 4, or the 1000 "unique" burial mounds in Skyrim or any other radiant quest filler junk, i.e. I'm getting sick just reading about it and it actively makes me want to play at the game less.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

steinrokkan posted:

The promise of 1000 planets sounds exactly as exciting as the 1000 "unique" office buildings in fallout 4, or the 1000 "unique" burial mounds in Skyrim or any other radiant quest filler junk, i.e. I'm getting sick just reading about it and it actively makes me want to play at the game less.

my favorite instance of this was when they said fallout 3 had like 600 endings because they counted every single combination of end slides you could get

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

Boy howdy I can't wait to play a space RPG where you play the chosen one who touches a spooky doodad and sees a mysterious vision, then has to assemble a crack team of misfits, rebels, outcasts, and jerks to go save the galaxy from an ominous threat from the ancient aliens who really rule the galaxy. Never played a game like that before, 11/10 on originality Bethesda. Good thing they included crafting and base-building which is pretty fresh and exciting too.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Game looks insanely bland and there's never been a game on earth where pointing a laser to mine something has not been boring af tedium

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

You think they come up with these stories organically and then only later realize that it's been done to death? Or do they just decide "gently caress it. Mass Effect had a good story, let's go with that".

I mean, I'm glad they finally hired some people who know what a human face should look like, but I really wish they'ed spend some cash on a writer that actually has new ideas.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I feel like they just said gently caress it and used a story generator for this. Which is odd because it's not like Bethesda hasn't written really good storylines before. Morrowind had an amazing storyline and really badass end game boss that was just insane.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Bethesda games scratch a certain itch in my brain so I will buy and play this game.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Lexorin posted:

I am glad the main character doesn't have any voiced lines.

They'd get bonus points for Mark Hamill, but it's probably someone like Liam Cunningham or Daniel Radcliffe. :)

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Theotus posted:

Bethesda games scratch a certain itch in my brain so I will buy and play this game.

:yeah:

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

Theotus posted:

pretty much this for most of us I'm guessing

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable
I think not all Bethesda games are created equally.

I loved oblivion and Skyrim, but had a real hard time engaging and enjoying fallout 3 and 4.

I think it was the guns and how Bethesda games just don't feel "good" when you're shooting dudes instead of having sword fights and magic blasts with monsters close up.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I thought Fallout 3 felt like floaty garbage, just like Oblivion, but I really liked Fallout 4 in the combat department. Just clicked for me, but I know a lot of people weren't too into Fallout 4's combat.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

the first mod should be garfield

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I thought Fallout 3 felt like floaty garbage, just like Oblivion, but I really liked Fallout 4 in the combat department. Just clicked for me, but I know a lot of people weren't too into Fallout 4's combat.

Everybody mocks TES because you always end up being a stealth archer, but at least you can become a stealth archer, that's something (and I for one never played an archer character). Meanwhile in Bethesda Fallouts where all you have is a gun and everybody else also has a gun, you are doomed to be a generic shootyman in a below average shootyman game

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

I think it looks fine - just like a Bethesda game! The game's atmosphere feels reserved and 'generic/vanilla future stuff' but I think that's 100% on purpose, because on PC this will have lots of mods. As for console versions, the understated fantasy vanilla flavor on the surface didn't stop Skyrim from being very popular there as well.

I don't think players will have control of spaceships when landing or taking off - it'll just be an automated process. The footage contains a hint that this might be the case - every lander module contains this description: "Spaceship landers come equipped with auto-deploying landing gear, to help pilots land on even the roughest of terrain." When in spaceflight it'll be a separate instance and if you try to crash down into a planet it'll just take over and transition you down to a landing to get around physics issues. That makes the most sense to me.

If planets really are fully explorable maps of their own, that's impressive considering the legacy of the tools they are working with. But I would expect many of them to look similar with some tweaked variables (sky color, rock types, gravity, local flora and fauna etc). Todd Howard said in 2020: "We're pushing procedural generation further than we have in a long time on the stuff that's coming up." So for example maybe each one has like a pirate outpost somewhere on it, a cave with some mining you can do, unique items to scan and... uh, a bunch of empty terrain, Mass Effect-style.

Of course they'll hand-craft the most important planets that have significant story bits and make them look the most interesting. It's still up in the air how much this is going to be a live service thing - which could mean story parts being added after release (and of course loads of paid stuff in the shop).

They could probably do some excuse in the plot for how the ancient aliens seeded the galaxy with life and that's why most planets all have the same space crabs and why you've seen the same species of weird dino-thing like 10 times. Watch them do that.

Oh, and of course there will be some game-wide collectible quest where some person accidentally launched a bunch of rockets into space containing some important thingamajigs, which gives you an incentive to go to every planet and scan for them. Watch them do that too.

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.
People keep saying the planets are going to be empty, but maybe Bethesda has come up with a brilliant algorithm to procedurally generate skeleton-based environmental storytelling as well??

Anyway, I fully expect this to be a kinda mediocre game that I somehow spend 300 hours playing and mostly enjoying, like every other Bethesda game.

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

steinrokkan posted:

Everybody mocks TES because you always end up being a stealth archer, but at least you can become a stealth archer, that's something (and I for one never played an archer character). Meanwhile in Bethesda Fallouts where all you have is a gun and everybody else also has a gun, you are doomed to be a generic shootyman in a below average shootyman game

Hey now that's not quite fair, sneak unarmed builds basically turn you into Judomaster teleporting into a crowd and beating the poo poo outta everyone

Lexorin
Jul 5, 2000

I deeply hope that the reason the shooting sucks in Fallout is because of the V.A.T.S. system. Assuming starfield doesn't have that, then they don't have a reason to make the shooting suck on purpose. I realize this is extremely wishful thinking.

Extortionist posted:

Anyway, I fully expect this to be a kinda mediocre game that I somehow spend 300 hours playing and mostly enjoying, like every other Bethesda game.

Yeah, this.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

this could just be skyrim in space and id still play it for like 1000 hours, i fuckin love space games, i feel like its been ages since we got a space game from a big studio. hopefully this sells gangbusters and we get a space game renaissance.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I would bet Bethesda is counting on people wanting to set up outposts on barren planets to harvest and trade resources as the sort of content they are providing on said planets.

I would be surprised if they even had a radiant quest system set up for the procgen planets. I don’t think they’ll even go to that much trouble.

Semi-Protato
Sep 11, 2001

funkymonks posted:

I would bet Bethesda is counting on people wanting to set up outposts on barren planets to harvest and trade resources as the sort of content they are providing on said planets.

I would be surprised if they even had a radiant quest system set up for the procgen planets. I don’t think they’ll even go to that much trouble.

Hello Explorer, I am Grvay Pr'seton. A nearby colony needs your help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I got Division vibes from the shooting bits they showed.