Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

infernal machines posted:

Still trying to figure out how ship repair ended up on "O"

Oh poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021

1glitch0 posted:

Three things made me start to turn against the game:

1. Trying to find a book for the kid, finding one I thought would be good for a kid, and having no way to give it to her.

Conversely, the first time I interacted with her she did the "Books." thing, and I began looking for ways to put her in the airlock. On that playthrough her dad was Starborn so that was good enough I guess.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

GrunkleStalin posted:

loving christ, I forgot about this. Their font and my bad eye sight had me uselessly spamming 0 as my ship kept exploding. I didn’t figure it out until I googled it.

It's the joke from Old World Blues, except not a joke

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cyrano4747 posted:

Given their engine? I wouldn't be surprised if they can't. The whole thing that everyone loves about Gamebryo is how all that poo poo is actually there and it's doing collision and physics calculations on every chair, body, discarded rifle, fork, and baguette. They already have trouble with things getting kinda wonky if something around them shifts - think how stuff placed on a table will shudder and levitate a few inches off it if you pick up a plate that a few things are resting on in Skyrim etc. As a result all that poo poo is hand placed. I'm trying to imagine the engine just generating and placing clutter and leading to crap like a geyser of office furniture, forks, and potted plants erupting from a progen building when you cause a cell to load up and the physics all turns on at once.

this is just reminding me that "being able to place decorations in a bespoke specific retained manner" is like, a Big Selling Point for their games historically, and they somehow managed to gently caress that up on the flying house you spend most of your time in by having the interior reset to baseline every time you swap a weapon location and I'm sad all over again

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

moist turtleneck posted:

I'm sorry but their skeleton dioramas in the last few games loving owned

In starfield there's a crashed ship on a planet with no atmosphere and a suitless skeleton on a cot

There's just no imagination or whimsy in starfield

In Starfield you can find a derelict ship where all the inhabitants are dead, with logs next to a skeleton sitting at a computer where the guy's saying he'll get around to fixing the life support system after just one more turn.

I thought that was decent enough, though it's also about the only non-quest-related thing like that I can remember from the game.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Extortionist posted:

In Starfield you can find a derelict ship where all the inhabitants are dead, with logs next to a skeleton sitting at a computer where the guy's saying he'll get around to fixing the life support system after just one more turn.

I thought that was decent enough, though it's also about the only non-quest-related thing like that I can remember from the game.

I think there's a similar one where corpses are scattered around, and they'd all been writing journals as they died?
Pretty sure there's also a Heaven's Gate style cult ship full of bodies too.

There's also the Mantis "quest", which I thought was pretty cool as an individual set piece.

And of course the colony ship which could've been super interesting, but was probably the most infuriating quest in the game.

It's kind of annoying that there are little bits and pieces like that around, but they're few and far between!

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
Yeah the derelict ships and Mantis base come really close to what I hoped this game would be. I wish the other 98% was as interesting and curated.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
The Mantis base also has what I think is the best (black) comedy moment in the game, where the guy who was supposed to inherit all the stuff was unofficiously killed by turrets because his mother thought he'd understand her chintzy secret message, and at the end you get her schmaltzy congratulatory message to him.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
if starfield had the mantis, oblivion had the dark brotherhood/shivering isles, what is the skyrim equivalent?

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
When you get drunk and end up with the wabbajack

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

harrygomm posted:

if starfield had the mantis, oblivion had the dark brotherhood/shivering isles, what is the skyrim equivalent?

Dragonborn DLC? It has a lot of "this should've been in the base game" vibe to it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Bholder posted:

Dragonborn DLC? It has a lot of "this should've been in the base game" vibe to it.

Dragonborn is the main quest? Do you mean Dawnguard?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
No the DLC that adds Solsthiem, the last one.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Jack B Nimble posted:

No the DLC that adds Solsthiem, the last one.

drat, I guess that's what not playing Skyrim for a decade does to my memory. That was the DLC that Steam randomly downloaded for me one day even though I never bought it.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I've never actually played it, though I do own it so that the Requiem overhaul works. Occasionally I agree to transport and item to raven rock and then realize it's all the way in DLC land and my low level PC has no business being there.

Folks so it's well written compared to the maim quest, though.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

harrygomm posted:

I can’t figure out how these relate to one another.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

chaosapiant posted:

I can’t figure out how these relate to one another.

I’m assuming the “standout” quests. I’d say Skyrim’s was probably either A Night to Remember or Discerning the Transmundane.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
The best quest in Starfield is "Entangled" and it's not even close.

Genuinely the only "wow" moment I had in the game, just a shame it turns up towards the end of the main story so a lot people never saw it lol

Flowing Thot
Apr 1, 2023

:murder:
Entangled is the best quest to appear in a BGS game, and it's just ripping off quests from better games. One of those games was even published by Bethesda.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Most of the Vanguard questline was pretty decent, I thought. Granted, maybe it left a stronger impression because it was the first major questline I did before I recognized all the issues with the game.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The quest with the lab that was bouncing you between timelines was cool, but I think the lab itself dragged on too long and the gimmick wore itself out.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Entangled was notable for having the 'ideal' solution necessitate paying attention and doing some legwork, rather than blindly following the quest markers. Then again, that just means it's yet another instance of never having to make a hard decision in a Bethesda game.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

chaosapiant posted:

Most of the Vanguard questline was pretty decent, I thought. Granted, maybe it left a stronger impression because it was the first major questline I did before I recognized all the issues with the game.

I liked Vanguard too and Ryujin was okay. Freestar Rangers started off fun for me but after you leave Neon it just got dumber and dumber. I never got around to Crimson Fleet, I got 150 hours into the game and was going to do them next but then some other game grabbed me and I haven't gone back.

I don't think Starfield is as hopeless as some of you but I'm hoping whenever I do come back to it that either mods or Bethesda have made it so that there's more of a point to some of the systems. I enjoyed my time outpost building but I wish there was a point to it besides... gathering resources to craft stuff for your outposts? I guess some people use it to get rich but I've never had money problems in a Bethesda game after the first 10 hours.

Also, not making the Trackers Alliance a full faction was a huge miss.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

The quest with the lab that was bouncing you between timelines was cool, but I think the lab itself dragged on too long and the gimmick wore itself out.

It's just the A Crack in the Slab mission from Dishonored 2.

harrygomm
Oct 19, 2004

can u run n jump?
Effect and Cause from Titanfall 2 was my reference point there. lots of good versions of that idea

Punished Ape
Sep 17, 2021
Overall the faction and MSQ missions were ok, but every time they tried to lean into a stealthy approach it quickly fell apart because the game engine isn't capable of being Thief or Dishonored.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Also this, most of my time was spent going between the warp points trying to figure out which one would let me into the next area to progress the quest.

PeePot
Dec 1, 2002

moist turtleneck posted:

I just don't know what stopped them from increasing the cash merchants have in a patch

Hahaha, this isn't fixed yet? Adjustable merchant cash and carry weight were supposed to be in their first big patch in February.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
Adjustable? Are they incapable of balancing their game?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

OddObserver posted:

Are they incapable of balancing their game?

Is that a trick question or... :thunk:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Punished Ape posted:

Overall the faction and MSQ missions were ok, but every time they tried to lean into a stealthy approach it quickly fell apart because the game engine isn't capable of being Thief or Dishonored.

Also this, most of my time was spent going between the warp points trying to figure out which one would let me into the next area to progress the quest.

I don't think the engine is incapable, but I do think they aren't willing to put the time and energy into making it happen. Especially when there is space magic that breaks everything over its knee anyways.

I spent a lot of time backtracking in that quest to make sure I looted everything even though frankly none of the loot in Starfield matters. :sigh:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It's perfectly possible to run around Skyrim as a stealthy dagger assassin. Fallout 4 requires you to commit to it and there's more moments where stealth just isn't an option but it's still doable.

The issue with stealth is that it's something that generally requires a bespoke designed environment to work.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Starfield's problem with stealth was that enemies could see you through some geometry and you could never be sure what, and they could hear you, and you made more noise in a suit, and for some reason floating meant they were immediately aware of you from across the entire cell whether they had line of sight or not.

If you were indoors, without a suit, in gravity, it mostly worked, except when it didn't. Thankfully there were only like three missions in the entire game where it mattered at all.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Apr 28, 2024

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It is weird how broken stealth seems to be in Starfield. Of all the things their game engine does poorly, it’s almost always done at least a passable job of stealth. Even since Morrowind. But in Starfield it’s much more difficult than it should be and you can’t always tell what you’re doing wrong, so being spotted seems arbitrary.

It doesn’t help that the Ryujin missions can mostly be done as casual as possible and don’t require stealth at all. A corporate spy sounds like a super fun way to play, but Bethesda engineered all the fun out of it so it’s just “walk up to computer terminal and press button.”

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

infernal machines posted:

and for some reason floating meant they were immediately aware of you from across the entire cell whether they had line of sight or not.j

"sneaking" onto that one setpiece full of pirates where the gravity flipped on and off at set intervals was one of the more :psyduck: events of my entire playthrough

sneaking, sneaking, gravity goes off and everything instantly aggros, it was equal parts kind of funny and absolutely bonkers with what it indicated about the underlying implementation

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

"sneaking" onto that one setpiece full of pirates where the gravity flipped on and off at set intervals was one of the more :psyduck: events of my entire playthrough

sneaking, sneaking, gravity goes off and everything instantly aggros, it was equal parts kind of funny and absolutely bonkers with what it indicated about the underlying implementation

If you’re floating in the air you’re not crouching, are you? And crouch-walking is the universally-recognised way of signaling that you’re being sneaky and people shouldn’t see you, so by abandoning the crouch you tell everyone they can shoot you now.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

If you’re floating in the air you’re not crouching, are you? And crouch-walking is the universally-recognised way of signaling that you’re being sneaky and people shouldn’t see you, so by abandoning the crouch you tell everyone they can shoot you now.

Haha holy poo poo, this is exactly the reason isn’t it

Also I’d forgotten about that quest, it was pretty cool assuming you weren’t trying to stealth through. Wish they would’ve used that mechanic more often!

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Somewhat realted, but it seems like the engine isn't capable of areas with different gravity loaded at the same time or something?

If you pay attention at that part in the main quest where it feels like there are areas with different gravity (NASA Launch Tower on Earth), and look at the places where it's not supposed to be Zero G, then you'll see random items floating around. Seems like it just turns gravity off everywhere when you are in certain parts and then when you cross the line it turns the gravity back on again. I just thought this was quite amusing when I saw it and very Bethesda™.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Also I'm going to go against the grain of the thread and say that I really enjoyed my time with Starfield. It wraps up the standard bethesda trash collecting into a cool sci-fi aesthetic that does it for me.

I can still see the metric poo poo ton of flaws it has, I just really, really hope they can fix a bunch of them up with DLC. Although considering it's been ~7 months since release, there has been practically no post-release support, the first DLC that was bundled with launch hasn't been released and there has been no word of any future DLC my expectatioins are extremely low.

Sandepande
Aug 19, 2018
I don't think Bethesda has quite the same work ethic as CDPR, Larian or Hello Games, and given the disjointedness of the game, I can imagine that either the DLC isn't nearly ready, or they're having a lot harder time implementing it than they thought.

The CK not being released, or any news on anything Starfield in general, gives me the feels that it's all a bit of a faff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
I suspect most of the team has been thrown onto Fallout-related stuff now that the series is out and is a big hit. The Fallout 4 patch, more Fallout 76 content now that it has been rehabilitated somewhat, the possible 3&4 remasters.