Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
I haven't found any of the orange tier artifacts. Are they just random finds in the bazaar (I missed Chapter 9 or 10's because I'm dumb and they really should add some flashing lights to the tent)?

I gave Bridget's squad the item that gives the leader an extra action but reduces the damage of everyone else by 25%. Murder mom and her kids.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Wonder what the best strat for chapter 12 is -- I almost made it to 4 turns even caught way out of position going for those chests, but sadly too many of my units got smoked on the first turn to really put up much of a decent retreat.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah its funny like, to compare to another srpg that release this year, tri strat is pretty much better in all aspects but the mechanics here just really gel with me in a brain feel good way that the former doesn't get close to. And I did liked playing that game a good amount.

Give me this but with some weirder unit variety (mermaids!!) and better writing/portrait art... or heck even a STS style game with these mechanics... and you are getting pretty close to my perfect game.

Yeah for whatever reason this game scratches that SRPG itch like nothing else. Part of it is even though the story isn't great, the characters are dull, etc etc the game doesn't lean too much on that stuff ultimately. As someone posted earlier the unique mercs being randomized means you can build some cool squads from those guys when you find them and it lends to a somewhat different playthrough. I'm not playing optimally by any stretch of the imagination but there also seems to be a lot of variety of squad builds too, and I really enjoy tinkering with squad organization in between every level for a lot longer than I really need to.

Hopeful for a decent sequel.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

deep dish peat moss posted:

Unsolicited thoughts on cav/archer classes:

Knights kind of suck. Heavy cav in general just seems not worth using over light cav - they cost more resources and have marginally better stats, but Hussars get a bonus against cav that Knights don't and they get multiple evasion bonuses. Valkyrie is kinda the same deal as Knight - they get the heal that Paladins do but you're better off just sticking a Templar in a cav squad since it won't make it stop counting as a cav squad, and the unit that would be turned into a Valkyrie can just be made into a Paladin instead which is pretty much the best front-line unit outside of Sentinel+Centurion synergy squads.

Raiders seem to be the superior ranged unit in pretty much every way. They can't take down armor like Dragoons can but they have 2 range and shoot twice - and maybe it;s just the way I build my squads but I have several ways of eliminating armored enemies already. Warbow doesn't really seem worth it when you could make a Raider instead - Warbow gets one extra range on their shots but Raider is cav so they can move further and don't need the extra range :shrug: I haven't really used siege weapons - generally my focus with ranged squads is taking out mages and assassins and Raiders do that very well :shrug:

I think the purpose of heavy cav is to screen for your lighter cav units basically. They provide cover and block melee attackers to the back rows. You're pretty much spot on, they don't have great offensive output in comparison. I think they're intended to just sit on the front line in a unit full of dragoons or hussars and take hits.

Also agreed on paladins, which are the bad kind of hybrid. Not enough damage or healing to really be worth taking.

Raiders are just great. With the boots of tyranny they have incredible mobility and can kill or cripple a unit almost anywhere on the map. I made Jules a raider unit just to mess around while I built up some crossbows early game and basically never looked back.