Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Balls to you and your way of mortal opinions - you don't exist anyway!
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Pladdicus posted:

this game is cool, full of neat stuff but it kinda sucks. the ux is clunky, the maps are full of uninteresting bits and bobs, but i love the mesh of ogrebattles/fire emblem/langrisser.

FWIW, the UI is way better with a controller if you have the option of using one.

And agreed, the game is great despite being the product of a rickety rear end version of RPG maker, but its provenance shows. Hopefully there are updates to this and sequels using something a little more capable and modern. A mobile port would rule as well.

Buying copies on steam for all my friends who ever liked ogre battle in the mean time.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Big lich&friends or sky island special characters only vibes here. Love games that allow you to take the mechanics to hyperbolic encounter-trivializing conclusions as long as you are willing to work and learn to get there.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Anyone watching dev updates or discord or whatever to tell me if they're going to fix/clarify some of the movement type interactions? The tutorial says as long as you have a majority of units of one type you will end up with that movement type. But there appear to be some exceptions:

***late game unit spoilers***

Should be air, but apparently dragon riders cant lift cavalry - have tried this with light cav as well with the same result - infantry move type

Even weirder thing here with her largeness

Should be light cav - that said, she can get lifted by dragons without issue

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

I know some story characters count as multiple characters for the purposes of movement type, but I don't know which beyond the one mentioned in the most recent patch notes (Beatrix).

Yeah it explains some things but not everything. Not going to ruin my day or anything, just annoying to have less flexibility.

Speaking of Beatrix, this artifact is totally broken on her. Especially with giant's thresher in a 4 person squad.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Walh Hara posted:

What do you guys do for the gaiden chapters? So far I only did the first 2, thought I'd do the others when the main campaign starts becoming challenging again.
I did all of them before going on to 22. Some were a little challenging in terms of not losing units from enemy doomstack pileups, but it was good training for using neph powers effectively. They all offer a nice reward (story unit upgrade, new story unit x 2, big pile of resources, additional power) but it's nothing gamechanging.

deep dish peat moss posted:

Does this relic give you an extra turn on the strategic map, or an extra turn in battle? There's another item (I forget the name of) that's legendary and gives a % Chance to get an Extra Turn, which I assumed would be an extra attack in battle but after equipping it (also on this character) I learned it's actually an entire extra turn for the squad on the map including another battle.

That one gives your leader a guaranteed second attack in battle as a "free action", but what makes it super broken is that it works even during the combat that ensues when you use "force surrender" on a high morale unit. The Jade figurine is, as you said, a chance at an extra action for the entire squad on the map, which is usually, but not always, useful.

quote:

e: Anyone playing with Permadeath on have any opinions on how the game is with Permadeath? I can't imagine how I'd be keeping all my units alive, even in my most beefed out squads now that I'm in chapter 22+ enemies pretty much always wipe out at least one unit in a battle when the enemy initiates an attack (especially with all these squads that are all rangers, assassins and swordmasters) :argh: I guess I'd be spending a lot of time running to Donari Temples to resurrect, if that even works on Permadeath. Or I guess maybe you'd need to make a bait squad of all tanks to draw the enemy to you and then have a healer squad to heal them up, or something.
Temples + player character revives work on permadeath.

Your healers and tanks can go together to make good bait - the best bait squads are purpose built tanks (paladins vs. magic and sentinels vs. firearms) + healers with relatively low threat rating, as the AI prefers to go after the player character or low threat units. A paladin or valk in each unit can add healing and help keep your dedicated healers alive with the tier two sisterhood of mercy tech. Good artifact builds help a lot as well in terms of adding resistance to damage types, adding armor and mag, or eliminating crits, and smart use of the exemplar power, once you have it is key.

Hitting first means you have to be able to move farther than the enemy, which is why +move artifacts (Boots of Tyranny), air, cav, and especially light cav units are so good. This is especially important vs. the firearms/cannon/mage/assassin stacks that the game likes to throw at you with increasing frequency as it goes on. Use the "enemy move" view from the strategic map menu or click on individual enemies to see how far they can go.

Walh Hara posted:

Figured I can post my squad: (chapter 24 completed)

The artifact that makes defenders go first is completely OP by the way.
Sup General Bizen buddy. Haven't seen the defenders first artifact yet, that seems like EZ mode with a high dmg bait squad.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

ChrisBTY posted:

I just beat the game. Fantastic game. Will very likely be on my Top 10 at the end of the year. I even had a soft spot for the more simple fantasy writing after Triangle Strategy's endless political gut punches. Though all the bond stuff is random garbo that only seems to exist because Fire Emblem did it.

Same. Very happy it was made but also makes me mad that this is the best anyone has come up with in this genre for awhile. Would kill for another legit Ogre Battle game or a Last Remnant sequel.

Endgame spoilers

This unique NPC was great all game but her obscene single target damage was somewhat wasted until the final boss HP sponge. She was hitting for

800x2 on crits thanks to her obscene stat growth (did not feed her any stat items either) and her talents.

:eyepop:

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Evil Fluffy posted:

I liked how the drops in OB were random so you'd occasionally end up with crazy poo poo like a staff+ring and/or crown and have a Lich and/or Princess super early in the game just murdering everything effortlessly.

If you didn't know the werewolf gimmick it was really easy to just never get any of them though unless you ran around to trigger random encounters on that same map to try and recruit some. I think tiger men also had a similarly tedious means of recruitment?

Actually it was easy to get werewolves if you were a kid playing cluelessly because you'd lose fighters to the boss at night and they'd magically come back as WW on the next organize screen. My younger brother got them on his first playthrough and I was like WTF CHEATER!

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe

Zurai posted:

You probably want to invest in mage units early on; they're weak at the beginning, super strong late-game, and are difficult to raise toward the end of the game because there isn't a mage base class.

Going to agree that magic units are trash early on and good later but that's why you should ignore them for most of the early game. They die easily to ambushes and archers and can't help you much on offense until you get the proper tech upgrades.

You can recruit plenty later though - archer recruits at least have a small chance to roll with high magic stats (I noticed this when trying to fill up light cav squads late game with non water units), and there's plenty of opportunities to grab Merc mages as well once you've got your tech tree upgraded enough for them to be worth using.

Speaking of units that are bad without tech upgrades, firearms are pretty meh, especially massed, early on as well. They really need the 2 shot tech to compete with dps focused T3 alternatives (gladiator/champion/zweihander/any archer), and the tankiness or ranged distance flexibility of the alternatives really makes them better in the end anyway. Firearms are annoying to go up against as the player because of their potential to kill one of your units in one turn, but they're less useful in the player's hands due to their squish + lower overall damage output. One or two can be nice in some squads mid-late game against paladins, but that's about it in my experience.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 1, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
Starting a new run on warlord with the PC named Donar because I am the kind of idiot who will find it amusing every time someone calls them by name.

Deki posted:

Final map question:

What does it mean when the boss is glowing purple? One shot with one of my shittiest units wiped out the rest of his health after he changed colors so I didn't see what it was going to do

When I killed him I saw some claw attacks, his shield + bridge explosions + reinforcement units spawned, there was some message about killing the reinforcements before he absorbed them to power up or something (they were already dead), then he came out of his shied and died the next round. I don't remember if/when he turned purple during this.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jul 3, 2022

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
I'm part way through my first run in FE:Three Houses, but I purchased the DLC cause this is now next on my list.

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
There are benefits to creating squads that have a focus around unit type, range, damage type, front line vs back line damage, ambush ability, and movement type, but it's also nice to have some balanced units that can be thrown into a variety of situations and do well.

Many good leaders have captain skills that make one type of unit cost less leadership, so it's good to stack a bunch of those units with them. Archer captains are the most obvious/important ones imo.

It's also useful to have units that can perform a certain job efficiently. Having a bunch of ranged units together works better for softening up targets for melee as you won't have dead weight doing nothing in those ranged engagements.

Units that can specifically deal with casters, firearms, cavalry, or armored units can be useful to group together or sprinkle into your more flexible squads. It sucks when you have a specific squad to solve a problem but then enemy squads that they are designed to handle are scattered all over the map.

Specializing is good, but don't overdo it. Leaders like the main character and gigapaladin lady are great for a more diverse set of units, but you should absolutely be stacking archers onto Jules.

aparmenideanmonad fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Jan 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aparmenideanmonad
Jan 28, 2004
Fun Shoe
You can use whoever as a temp squad leader as needed, but the game will provide most of the leaders you need from the story. There are some good "unique" mercs you should be looking out for to fill in the other spots who will have useful leader skills and high LDR stats.

It can be a fun project to try to grind out a nobody into a badass leader by the end of the campaign but it's not needed.