Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

It's the only word they know, but it's such a big word for a tiny creature

Sorry for going quiet so close to deadline, have been trying to get this ordered in my head. The doctor claim is...like, the trouble with that claim is that anybody counterclaiming is certain to be killed.

But again, assuming we started with only 3 scum (4 just seems like too many!), a like-for-like doesn't seem that bad, to pay for only going down to 1 scum.

With that in mind, I'm imploring anybody with a doctor counter-claim to reveal themselves, and will not vote for Plastic if one isn't forthcoming.

Bucnasti posted:

This throws a big wrench at my idea that GW was doctor and protected Plastic on N2.

I'm not sure I buy protecting Green Wing on N2 though. Green Wing seems like one of the least likely targets for Scum as they're overloading everyone with info and causing plenty of confusion.
The problem I'm coming up against now is that I don't have a better explanation for the N2 missed kill. Who else could have been targeted and would have made a likely defense target?

If we off Plastic, we'll know for sure, and that will possibly confirm Green Wing as well.
I'm feel super weird saying it, but I think offing plastic is still the best course of action no matter what side we think they're on.

Oh, yeah, sorry, I thought I said - no, I'm not the doctor, my theory was legitimately based on inferring somebody else's actions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

If Plastic is scum, we extremely don't want the real doctor to counter-claim

If Plastic isn't scum and is indeed town doctor, the mafia would 100% shoot him tonight. The doctor is one of town's most powerful roles, it gives town extra days if they guess right. No amount of soft/social influence is as powerful as "If this person picks the right name, town gets another 48 hours to find scum"

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
If you think the first claim is likely to be a lie, and you were already leaning Plastic, why are you calling for a counterclaim when you know that's suicidal for a town Doctor? Losing a Doctor isn't necessarily a 1-1 trade, because Doctors can stop the nightkill. You're way overthinking this, Green Wing.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Besides, we still don't actually know if that missed nightkill was from a Doctor or not. We're just assuming that, because it's the most likely explanation. If that's not true, you'll be waiting forever for something that never comes.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Also god dammit Bucnasti I only just came around to the idea of you being town, and you're here making posts that ping me again :argh:

Anyway, yeah,

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

If Plastic is scum, we extremely don't want the real doctor to counter-claim

If Plastic isn't scum and is indeed town doctor, the mafia would 100% shoot him tonight. The doctor is one of town's most powerful roles, it gives town extra days if they guess right. No amount of soft/social influence is as powerful as "If this person picks the right name, town gets another 48 hours to find scum"

So if he's lying scum, then a counterclaim is like-for-like exchange?

and if he's telling the truth, we lose the doctor and somebody else overnight? So that's considerably worse?

Sorry, what am I not getting here? It seems like that claim ought to be given more weight.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

NeverHelm posted:

If you think the first claim is likely to be a lie, and you were already leaning Plastic, why are you calling for a counterclaim when you know that's suicidal for a town Doctor? Losing a Doctor isn't necessarily a 1-1 trade, because Doctors can stop the nightkill. You're way overthinking this, Green Wing.

wait, when did I say the first claim is likely to be a lie?

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

NeverHelm posted:

Besides, we still don't actually know if that missed nightkill was from a Doctor or not. We're just assuming that, because it's the most likely explanation. If that's not true, you'll be waiting forever for something that never comes.

So, what else could it be? I can only think of two things - either town has a roleblocker, in which case they should know who one scum is by now since they must have targeted them at night, or town has a single-use bulletproof person, in which case they could've claimed at any point since they're now no better than any other town. Neither of these have happened.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

you know what, im just tying myself in knots here. im just going to go with the straightforward option and vote for whoever i most think is scum ##vote Cloacamazing!

maybe i'll vote for plastic instead if it looks like the deadline is coming up and it looks like this vote isnt getting anywhere

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes

Green Wing posted:

Oh, yeah, sorry, I thought I said - no, I'm not the doctor, my theory was legitimately based on inferring somebody else's actions.

You're correct, you implied you didn't have the defensive role, but that's what I would expect you to say either way.
As far as I'm concerned Plastic claiming doctor and protecting you means you couldn't be the doctor because either he's telling the truth, or he's lying scum and you couldn't have protected him.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Green Wing posted:

wait, when did I say the first claim is likely to be a lie?
Sorry, I must have misread your post. My bad.

Fine then. How about we vote Cloacamazing instead? Plastic was deflecting from her pretty hard earlier. If she's scum as I believe, that should strongly imply that Plastic is lying.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Green Wing posted:

Also god dammit Bucnasti I only just came around to the idea of you being town, and you're here making posts that ping me again :argh:

Anyway, yeah,

So if he's lying scum, then a counterclaim is like-for-like exchange?

and if he's telling the truth, we lose the doctor and somebody else overnight? So that's considerably worse?

Sorry, what am I not getting here? It seems like that claim ought to be given more weight.

If they don't counterclaim, and Plastic is lying, then scum don't get a free kill on the Doctor. That's a pretty big win for town.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

NeverHelm posted:

If they don't counterclaim, and Plastic is lying, then scum don't get a free kill on the Doctor. That's a pretty big win for town.

But we have a chance here to, if there is a counter-claim, to be certain. That best-case scenario just relies on us deciding that this claim isn't true based on Plastic's previous suspicious behaviour. Which I'd argue is more useful considering the likelihood of a three-scum setup. I'd like to think that if there is a real doctor, they realise that as well - I'd counter in their shoes, so if no counter comes, I'm tending to think there isn't a counter, no matter how much I voted for Plastic in the past.

Also that previous suspicious behaviour mostly (though not entirely - Lupus was deflecting Plastic) relies on not being present. This was even the crux of my post yesterday listing Plastic as a scum pick, before the idea of there being a doctor even entered the fray. I'm just not up for possibly offing the doctor.

Cloaca still pings me for sure and I'd go for her as an alternative.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Green Wing posted:

But we have a chance here to, if there is a counter-claim, to be certain. That best-case scenario just relies on us deciding that this claim isn't true based on Plastic's previous suspicious behaviour. Which I'd argue is less useful considering the likelihood of a three-scum setup, and the fact that the removal of the 2nd scum leaves the scum at a possibly-unassailable disadvantage. I'd like to think that if there is a real doctor, they realise that as well - I'd counter in their shoes, so if no counter comes, I'm tending to think there isn't a counter, no matter how much I voted for Plastic in the past.

Also that previous suspicious behaviour mostly (though not entirely - Lupus was deflecting Plastic) relies on not being present. This was even the crux of my post yesterday listing Plastic as a scum pick, before the idea of there being a doctor even entered the fray. I'm just not up for possibly offing the doctor.

Cloaca still pings me for sure and I'd go for her as an alternative.

Mafia edit.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

All right then. Let's ##vote Cloacamazing!, for today. But I'm still going to be at Plastic's throat again tomorrow.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

NeverHelm posted:

Why vote for Cloaca right now?
It seems like we either believe Plastic's claim or we don't. So we should vote with them for cuntman or we should vote against them.

What's the argument for Cloaca at this point? i don't remember them doing any particularly suspicious.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Green Wing posted:

Mafia edit.

My knee-jerk reaction was "the doctor is worth more than a mafia goon", but with this explanation, I think I get it. Assuming there are only 2 scum remaining, voting one more out means that the remaining scum would have to figure out how to eject everyone in the game but themselves and one other person. At that point, the odds are stacked so hard against scum that town basically doesn't need the advantage of the doctor's protect action to win.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

My knee-jerk reaction was "the doctor is worth more than a mafia goon", but with this explanation, I think I get it. Assuming there are only 2 scum remaining, voting one more out means that the remaining scum would have to figure out how to eject everyone in the game but themselves and one other person. At that point, the odds are stacked so hard against scum that town basically doesn't need the advantage of the doctor's protect action to win.

Right, exactly! That's put more sufficiently that I could - that's why I think if there is a doctor, they should counter-claim and accept this is probably self-sacrifice. And if nobody does, I'm inclined not to vote for Plastic.

Bucnasti posted:

It seems like we either believe Plastic's claim or we don't. So we should vote with them for cuntman or we should vote against them.

No, just because we think somebody may be town doesn't mean we support their reasoning. Like, I'll take another look at cuntman but nothing sticks out for me.

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

I'd vote Cloaca out of self-preservation.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Really? And here I thought you considered them town just a bit ago. Then go ahead and do it, Plastic. It won't absolve you in my eyes.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.
This may be a weird point, but don't Doctors have to successfully mindmeld with scum to pick the person they think scum will target that night? It's obviously extremely powerful, but if there's enough roulette elements to it, couldn't scum just gamble, not kill theoretical Doctor Plastic, and then let town flip him the next day if their kill goes through? ...I mean that's taking a lot of chance and not playing optimally, but as strictly a mind game bamboozler play it could throw people off.

That being said, it's a really dramatic claim. I feel like a counterclaim would be very dangerous if Plastic is scum, and while Cloaca has been on my list of possibly suspicious, Plastic has the much more... active air. I don't want to move my vote for the moment.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

I know I've been gunning for Plastic for a while, but something isn't sitting right. So I decided to read Cloacamazing's posts in more detail, and... I mean, some things stick out, like saying "wologar feels like town to me" day 2 and then the very next post (granted, more than 24 hours later) voting wologar anyway. But, hell, is that enough? Is this another bandwagon? If so, who started it? Well technically Caffeinated Jerkoff, but it seems to really only have picked up steam after NeverHelm brought it up again. Unfortunately, my read on NeverHelm is "probably town", so I don't know what to think about that. And now cuntman, Plastic, and Green Wing are all on that bandwagon and they can't all be scum.

And now Plastic is also going for Cloacamazing after just a moment ago declaring her likely town? What the gently caress is going on here. This is moving way too fast for me to be entirely happy about this. (But I guess we are only hours away from deadline...)

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

As much as I theoretically despise the idea of a doctor counterclaiming, on the assumption that there were 3 scum to start with, this does make sense, too. A counterclaim now would make everyone vote for Plastic, and if he doesn't flip scum, whoever counterclaimed goes next. Either way that would leave only 1 scum in the game versus 5 or 6 town and those are some tough odds.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Jadecore posted:

This may be a weird point, but don't Doctors have to successfully mindmeld with scum to pick the person they think scum will target that night? It's obviously extremely powerful, but if there's enough roulette elements to it, couldn't scum just gamble, not kill theoretical Doctor Plastic, and then let town flip him the next day if their kill goes through? ...I mean that's taking a lot of chance and not playing optimally, but as strictly a mind game bamboozler play it could throw people off.

That being said, it's a really dramatic claim. I feel like a counterclaim would be very dangerous if Plastic is scum, and while Cloaca has been on my list of possibly suspicious, Plastic has the much more... active air. I don't want to move my vote for the moment.

This looks like you're arguing that a doctor isn't as huge a utility as all that.

Then, wouldn't you agree it's worth losing them in order to lose a scum, at this stage in the game? (the most likely outcome of a counter-claim)

If you agree with the above, doesn't it also follow that the lack of a counter-claim indicates there is no counter-claim?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

If there are three scum. And we don't know that. If you're willing to discount my "best case" scenario of Plastic lying and us executing him now, then you should also allow for the "best case" of there only being three scum to not be the case either.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Actually I just had a brainwave and I'm jumping on this, I'm a dolt.

##vote PlasticAutomaton

PlasticAutomaton
Nov 12, 2016

Artoria Pendonut

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

And now Plastic is also going for Cloacamazing after just a moment ago declaring her likely town? What the gently caress is going on here. This is moving way too fast for me to be entirely happy about this. (But I guess we are only hours away from deadline...)

I mean the choice is between someone I know isn't scum (me) or someone who might be scum (Cloaca). It's simple math. :shrug:

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

The only thing that really sticks out as maybe suspicious to me about cuntman recently is that him outright asking for Plastic to claim a role was pretty bold

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

I know I've been gunning for Plastic for a while, but something isn't sitting right. So I decided to read Cloacamazing's posts in more detail, and... I mean, some things stick out, like saying "wologar feels like town to me" day 2 and then the very next post (granted, more than 24 hours later) voting wologar anyway. But, hell, is that enough? Is this another bandwagon? If so, who started it? Well technically Caffeinated Jerkoff, but it seems to really only have picked up steam after NeverHelm brought it up again. Unfortunately, my read on NeverHelm is "probably town", so I don't know what to think about that. And now cuntman, Plastic, and Green Wing are all on that bandwagon and they can't all be scum.

I'd say Plastic still thinks Cloacamazing is probably town, given his post about voting her was:

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I'd vote Cloaca out of self-preservation.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

We're going back to this then? ##vote PlasticAutomaton

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

PlasticAutomaton posted:

I mean the choice is between someone I know isn't scum (me) or someone who might be scum (Cloaca). It's simple math. :shrug:

Well why not cuntman? People seem just as suspicious of him and you think he's scum. Do you think that wagon has no wheels?

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

That's -1. Sorry for the unexplained change of heart but it will literally be detrimental to town if I'm right and I explain so, like. I'll explain tomorrow if I'm still alive (especially if it's wrong)

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Green Wing makes a lot of sense here. No counterclaim really points at plastic telling the truth.
If there's a doctor other than plastic, they should claim and take the hit, that will conclusively get us the kill on 1 scum.
If there's not a doctor at all, and somebody was bulletproof (or some other role), they should claim because there's no reason not to.

Jadecore
Mar 10, 2018

They say money can't buy happiness, but it sure does help.

Green Wing posted:

This looks like you're arguing that a doctor isn't as huge a utility as all that.

Then, wouldn't you agree it's worth losing them in order to lose a scum, at this stage in the game? (the most likely outcome of a counter-claim)

If you agree with the above, doesn't it also follow that the lack of a counter-claim indicates there is no counter-claim?

I get what you're saying but also this feels dependent on the doctor having those self sacrifice instincts and being online and also I think something's weird about the logic here?

And I hit preview after stepping away for a moment and glance down and we have undergone a complete circle throw, so I'm just gonna stay where I am, thanks.

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
Votecount for Day 3

PlasticAutomaton (4): NeverHelm, Bucnasti, Jadecore, NeverHelm, Green Wing, NeverHelm
Cloacamazing! (2): Caffeinated Jerkoff, cuntman.net, NeverHelm, NeverHelm
cuntman.net (1): PlasticAutomaton
Bucnasti (0): Green Wing, Green Wing

Not Voting (2): Cloacamazing!, Hyper Crab Tank

With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 08th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 2 hours, 2 minutes.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

Green Wing posted:

That's -1. Sorry for the unexplained change of heart but it will literally be detrimental to town if I'm right and I explain so, like. I'll explain tomorrow if I'm still alive (especially if it's wrong)

Wait? what? I was just about to unvote based on your argument.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

Green Wing posted:

Actually I just had a brainwave and I'm jumping on this, I'm a dolt.

##vote PlasticAutomaton

NeverHelm posted:

We're going back to this then? ##vote PlasticAutomaton

What the gently caress is this. No seriously, this is making my head spin. Green Wing you'e been saying all day Plastic is town, you have to see that this is looking fishy as all poo poo especially since you explicitly don't seem to want to explain yourself.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

:shrug: I was looking through post histories and think I found something that indicates somebody else is the doctor.

Green Wing
Oct 28, 2013

Hence having the "gently caress, I'm an idiot" moment. I think this also explains why I don't want to go into the full details?

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

Green Wing posted:

Green Wing posted:

:shrug: I was looking through post histories and think I found something that indicates somebody else is the doctor.

I'm gonna trust your intuition here, I really hope this is correct.

##vote PlasticAutomaton

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: PlasticAutomaton...couldn't you have made better posts?

Votecount for Day 3
With 9 alive, it's 5 votes to execute. The current deadline is July 08th, 2022 at 5 p.m. EDT -- that's in about 1 hour, 57 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maerlyn
Jun 29, 2003

Everything at once
the evil step-son

This av has been socialized, viva la Revolución

After one villain had been driven from town it felt like things were looking up finally, but there was still something odd about PlasticAutomaton... He was a quiet fellow who always seemed to vanish at the strangest times. When pressed he scoffed and explained that he was a doctor, but the sword hanging by his side seemed to say he was not being honest.

When it was discovered he was doing the opposite of doctoring the townfolk he was savagely beaten until all that remained was....a book? Well alright then.

PlasticAutomaton, MAFIA-aligned Watcher has been shelved!

quote:

You are Roland! You are a survivor. You excel at making the best with the hand that's been dealt to you, no matter how bad. You're calm and observant, and can come off as cold - but you do know a lot of things, and what you don't know, you are good at finding out...

You are a Mafia-aligned Watcher!

You can target a player each in-game night. If they are targeted by anyone, you will know who targeted them, but not what action they performed.