Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

She's the only one to actively defend Lupus, which is something I'd normally consider to be a bad town play. At the time of this post, it's pretty obvious that Lupus is going to flip, and there's absolutely no reason for a scum player to stick their neck out defending their teammate at the last minute.

...So I actually think Cloaca might be town.

Ok, there's a lot in this post but this sticks out to me. It was not at all obvious that Lupus was going to go down. Several people had retracted their votes, HCT was wavering and even withdrew right after Cloaca made that post. This seems like retroactive justification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Also Plastic - cuntman is hardly the only person to be "waffling" as you put it. And a lot of that is directly because of you being so distant in the thread. I'll grant you that cuntman is not the towniest looking player right now, but that just makes me interpret this as you going for what you think is the lowest-hanging fruit to swing a town lunch out of this.

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Also I might as well claim at this point and make scum kill me.

My day 2 posting was a double bluff and I indeed do have a role.

I'm the town Doctor. Night 1 I was on NeverHelm, Night 2 I was on GreenWing. So 100% that Greenwing's town.

Hard doubt. If you were, you're committing suicide by scum saying this. That's not a good town Doctor move, it's just a desperation play from scum. But sure, I guess if it comes down to it we could vote Cloacamazing and see if you survive.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I suspect the only reason you're claiming Doctor and not something else, is that there's strong proof of a protector role and the real one is never going to counterclaim that.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Doctor can protect himself, can't he? Which puts another wrench in the works because if we vote someone else and Plastic doesn't get nightkilled that doesn't give us a goddamn thing because that's also consistent with him being scum and lying his pants off.

That might be possible I guess. But it also means this claim doesn't actually tell us anything. We can't confirm it without voting him out.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

PlasticAutomaton posted:

Just protecting my two biggest town reads.
While I'm flattered you thought of me that way, I'm surprised you (in this hypothetical world where you are Doctor) were confident enough in that N1 to protect me instead of yourself. If you can even do that. And if you can't, then revealing yourself now makes no sense.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

If you think the first claim is likely to be a lie, and you were already leaning Plastic, why are you calling for a counterclaim when you know that's suicidal for a town Doctor? Losing a Doctor isn't necessarily a 1-1 trade, because Doctors can stop the nightkill. You're way overthinking this, Green Wing.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Besides, we still don't actually know if that missed nightkill was from a Doctor or not. We're just assuming that, because it's the most likely explanation. If that's not true, you'll be waiting forever for something that never comes.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Green Wing posted:

wait, when did I say the first claim is likely to be a lie?
Sorry, I must have misread your post. My bad.

Fine then. How about we vote Cloacamazing instead? Plastic was deflecting from her pretty hard earlier. If she's scum as I believe, that should strongly imply that Plastic is lying.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Green Wing posted:

Also god dammit Bucnasti I only just came around to the idea of you being town, and you're here making posts that ping me again :argh:

Anyway, yeah,

So if he's lying scum, then a counterclaim is like-for-like exchange?

and if he's telling the truth, we lose the doctor and somebody else overnight? So that's considerably worse?

Sorry, what am I not getting here? It seems like that claim ought to be given more weight.

If they don't counterclaim, and Plastic is lying, then scum don't get a free kill on the Doctor. That's a pretty big win for town.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

All right then. Let's ##vote Cloacamazing!, for today. But I'm still going to be at Plastic's throat again tomorrow.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Really? And here I thought you considered them town just a bit ago. Then go ahead and do it, Plastic. It won't absolve you in my eyes.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

If there are three scum. And we don't know that. If you're willing to discount my "best case" scenario of Plastic lying and us executing him now, then you should also allow for the "best case" of there only being three scum to not be the case either.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

We're going back to this then? ##vote PlasticAutomaton

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Well, I'm not going to waste any time. Cloacamazing has been under suspicion from many of us for good reason, and she seems aligned with both Plastic and Lupus. I especially don't by "lurker sympathy" as a reason not to vote LupusAter, that's just a smokescreen for "scumbuddy". Considering how Plastic tried to cover for her earlier, there's no longer any doubt in my mind that she's scum. ##vote Cloacamazing!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Well, who else do you find suspicious?

If Green Wing is scum, she wouldn't have backpedaled on her counterclaim request. That was what led to Plastic's downfall in the end.
Bucnasti as scum seems extremely unlikely to me, that would have been two extremely hard busses on Day 3. The same would be even more true for me.
CJ voted for both Lupus and Plastic as well. If you squint really hard, you could read that as self-preservation I suppose. But we could just vote them tomorrow in that case, we have time.
cuntman is the second scummiest by my estimation, but Plastic tried to deflect from Cloacamazing onto him, probably for that very reason. Again, we could vote him tomorrow.

Cloacamazing is much more suspicious than any of these.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Yeah, that's fair enough. Who knows, maybe someone will drop a scum slip or something. But absent something like that, I'm not going to move my vote.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Shellception posted:

Please, do not lurk. The game does need posters to play it and contribute, otherwise nobody can read you out and it becomes a slow, dragging affair. The lurker threshold will be 10 posts per game day, about 48h in real life time, with the requisite being halved for hammers that happen at 12h to deadline or earlier, and eliminated if 24h to deadline or earlier. First time, you will be told to please not miss posting requierements; second time, you will be eliminated from the game.
Yes. In a really short day, there's no threshold at all.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Here we go again with the idea that scum somehow "knew" Lupus was going to flip so they bussed him despite it being a completely free execution for town. I've already explained why I don't think that makes sense.

Here's another theory for you all: Lupus voted for me because I'd fingered two scum at the start of the day, including him, and had pretty clearly shown my inclination to vote Plastic since the end of Day 2.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

And Cloacamazing: If you thought Lupus voting for me was suspicious, why were you so against voting Lupus yourself?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Seriously Cloacamazing, you just said you thought both of us were scum. But you said you were against eliminating LupusAter, because of "sympathy for a fellow lurker". That's a massive condtradiction!

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Dammit. I was really confident in that read, as were most of us it seems. Even Cloacamazing herself admitted she was suspicious! Well played, scum.

Well, my next best guess is either cuntman or Caffeinated Jerkoff. But I don't think we should rush into the vote this time, we need more information.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Is that so? In other words, according to you, either Bucnasti or Jade are scum then. Though I find it a bit strange that you were that confident in the Godfather theory that you voted out

Personally, I'm not entirely sure I believe this just yet. I will give people time to respond before I decide. I did have my suspicions about who the Cop might be given yesterday's posts, and it wasn't you.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

*that you voted out Cloacamazing, even dropping the hammer+.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

Yeah voting for Cloacamazing was a big fuckup on my part. I wavered basically that whole day between claiming to defend her and voting for her. I ended up landing on voting for her, because I'd been suspicious of her since mid Day 2, and didn't have any other scum reads I was more confident in.

Well, you could have just, you know, not voted. And let the rest of us do it. I mean, in this case it was pretty obvious it was going to happen. And there was plenty of time left in the day.

Bucnasti posted:

Does the cop investigation only give someones alignment and not their role?
Most of the time, this is the case from what I understand. Often, this power is given to a separate "Rolecop", which tends to be (but not always) a Mafia role.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Jadecore posted:

But NeverHelm seems to think someone else is the cop, but nobody's counterclaiming. So... I don't know.
Someone in particular, yes.

I was thinking that this person had checked Cloacamazing, but didn't want to reveal it yesterday because it would incriminate them if they defended someone the thread was clearly about to lunch. It would explain some things I found odd on a re-read. But if I'm wrong and that person doesn't claim, I might just have to assume CJ is telling the truth here.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I mean, I still find CJ's story a little hard to believe. But I found a lot of people's stories hard to believe and voted accordingly, and they ended up being town. So...

I didn't see Bucnasti's vote come in before I posted. I imagine Bucnasti and I must've posted within like 15 seconds of one another.

Yeah, those votes were so close the bot didn't seem to react properly.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Well... Caffeinated Jerkoff did vote both Lupus and Plastic so... I guess that's a point in their favor.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Say, CJ. I was wondering something. Earlier, when we were going up against Plastic, you said the following:

doctor can't protect themselves
Why?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I agree. But I want to be completely sure.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I see. That makes sense.

Well the person I expected to counterclaim, hasn't. So I guess I'm going to have to assume I was wrong, and CJ is the real Cop then.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

That leaves me with three possibilities then. Bucnasti, Jadecore, or the possibility that there actually is a Mafia Godfather after all and cuntman is scum. But I'd rather not go down that last rabbit hole just yet. So there are really only two choices.

Jadecore posted:

If you're talking about me because I wanted more discussion time, sorry. I'm not a cop.

Yes, it is exactly you I was thinking of. Both because of your reluctance to vote, and how you suddenly brought up the proper strategy for when Cops should claim. Reading those posts made me suspect you might be Cop. Quite strongly in fact. But you haven't reacted to my prodding at all.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Ok. Crackpot theory time. Feel free to stop me if this sounds too insane.

CJ claimed really early in the day. Like, right away. As if they were in a hurry.

Why would they be in a hurry?

Because someone else had hinted at being Cop, and was going to try to usurp their role. So they claimed right away, to pre-empt them.

Does that make sense to anyone else?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Exactly. Which is why they haven't done so now, even though they had originally planned to claim.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Sorry. Its just... The only other options, if we believe CJ, is to assume that Bucnasti is a master actor playing an insane long con, or that cuntman is Godfather.

I don't want to think you're scum, Jade. But it seems like the reasonable conclusion here.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Or from the perspective of the rest of you, me being Godfather and a master actor playing an insane long con.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

What's your take on this, Caffeinated Jerkoff?

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Ok then. Since we seem to be mostly in agreement about Jade then, I'll ##vote Jadecore. To be honest, I don't think anyone could convince me to vote otherwise because I have trouble seeing it as anyone else given your report.
If you are conning us I'm not even going to be mad. Because that would be a masterful play.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I'd be lying if I said I felt good about this vote. But assuming someone is Godfather when there's another, more plausible option is too far of a leap for me.

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I'm just going to say this right now. If Jade is town, then I think CJ is lying and there actually isn't a Cop in this game. That's much more likely than this whole Godfather business.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

I feel like if they were, they would have hammered by now. Unless they just missed their chance?