Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Pentiment - November 15 2022 Release OUT NOW PC (steam & gamespass), Xbox Hardware, and even clouds

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1205520/Pentiment/

A narrative most unexpected by Obsidian Entertainment. A medievalearly-modern murder-mystery (between medieval and modern period: Renaissance, Reformation, Martin Luther popping off, peasant uprisings.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXq20gant-4
Set in 16th century Bavaria, Pentiment will take players on a narrative journey through the eyes of Journeyman Artist Andreas Maler during a time of great social unrest. Led by game director Josh Sawyer, this game is brought to life by a talented team inspired by illuminated manuscripts, woodcut prints, and history itself.

The scope of Andreas’ Wanderjahre was largely framed by historical accounts of where artists traveled and worked during this time - most notably, Albrecht Dürer.

josh sawyer posted:

E: In this time period, at the end of a craftsman's (uncommonly, some women as well, mostly in the Low Countries) Wanderjahre, they would settle in a city, marry (a requirement for becoming a master), and submit a Meisterstück (literally "masterpiece") to the guild for approval before opening a workshop. The most common artists' guild in this time and area was the Guild of St. Luke - though it was notably absent in the city of Nuremberg, where guilds had been abolished and approval was gained though municipal councils.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhVh7xycESA

Pentiment

quote:

An underlying image in a painting, especially one that has become visible when the top layer of paint has turned transparent with age, providing evidence of revision by the artist.

j saw posted:

"This has a bunch of significance, obviously you're playing a painter, but also has a lot of significance to the idea of history being covered and uncovered over time."
Notably sometimes these changes themselves are made for political reasons or cultural pressures or changes over time.

Art style blending late medieval illuminated manuscripts with early modern woodcuts and artists like Albrecht Dürer and Brueghel the Younger

Hannah Kennedy is the art director here charged with marrying those two styles with looking and playing out like the kind of game they had imagined.

why the inventor of shorts for pokemon trainers is particularly passionate about this project and some more details about the setting, circumstances, history, and character you play:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1sFsO6MrtAs

Basic Chunnel posted:

Triple threating here to throw a question to Rope Kid: One of the sticking points / huge gaping holes in historical interpretation in the classical period was how recorded history in eg Greece almost exclusively described / portrayed upper class people, and how daily life for a lower class or slave was by comparison left largely to conjecture. Is that the case with the early modern / renaissance period as well? Maybe this gets to what the Gamespot dude was vaguely poking at re: "making stuff up" in historical fiction.

ropekid posted:

We have a much better sense (we think!!) of how 16th century peasants and burghers lived than the lower classes in antiquity. Obviously to a certain extent we're always going on faith and our best interpretations of records left behind, but even archaeological records of buildings, tools, etc. are better. We also have more contemporaneous artwork of peasants and other laborers through the work of people like Dürer, Brueghel the Younger, et al.

E: Not to mention incidental historical records from trials and similar documents. E.g., we can learn a lot about the peasantry of Occitania from The Fournier Register, Jacques de Fournier's records of his inquisitions among Albigensian heretics. The personal notes of French jurist Jean de Coras about the case of Martin Guerre give us a lot of incidental insights into peasant life several centuries later. The inquisitorial records surrounding the extremely weird Friulian miller Menocchio formed the basis of Carlo Ginzburg's The Cheese and the Worms.

js posted:

"Gameplay is much like Oxenfree or Night in the Woods where you spend most of your time walking around the environment, meeting with characters, talking to them, learning the motives & motivations people might have had to the murder, looking at evidence -- and then sort of ultimately presenting it to the arbiters because you're not a judge, you're an artist."
There will be an in-game glossary to help you with important figures and elements of the subject matter. Deadfire had a really good version of this that made keeping up with the made-up cultures & history really easy, obviously will be helpful and relevant here.

They had one of these "code wheel" puzzles in the trailer
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volvelle

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 16, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
post reserved for bibliography lol

rope kid posted:

We have a pretty extensive bibliography (I and one of the other writers have history degrees and are not shy about diving into JSTOR) and also 3 PhD consultants. I’ll see if I can post some of the bibliography when I’m back in the office.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Not much, what's pentiment with you?

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Pentiment - gently caress You, Suck My Dick: Josh Sawyer's Ergot-Induced Dream RPG

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Pentiment - Obsidian and Josh Sawyer present Oops All Trials

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
who is this josh sawyer fellow and why is he speaking for rope kid!!!

I am looking forward to playing this and loving it up, making everything about the murder mystery worse.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

Hedonist naturalist getting high on ergot, canon playthrough

Very interested in finding out how reactive the game actually is to these choices.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

very interested to see what the "maleshep soldier" Andreas variant is in this one. Presumably it's Hedonist-Occultist. Throwing it back Count Stenbock style: developing relationships with life-sized dolls, investigating mysteries both criminal and metaphysical, being gay as hell.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

So Name of the Rose II: a Darklands story? Day one purchase.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

Basic Chunnel posted:

very interested to see what the "maleshep soldier" Andreas variant is in this one. Presumably it's Hedonist-Occultist.

Italy is am obvious choice for German-word-for-travelling-and-learning, it's a place of birth of Leonardo DaVinci, Nicolo Machiavelli and Ezio Auditore. Bookworm and Logician sounds like a vanilla choice. You work with books and destroying catholics with Facts and Logic sounds very safe.

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
This game's gonna be fantastic. If it isn't...I'll eat an entire truckload of ergot in one setting.

singateco
Jan 28, 2013

quote:

“One of the key things in the game is that we do not ever definitively tell you, canonically, [who] the murderer [is],” Sawyer explains. “You have to investigate, find as much evidence as you can. You make your decisions based on whatever you think is most important. You are basically deciding who's going to pay for the crime. That can be the person that you think actually did it. That can be the person that you think should be punished, whether or not they did it. Maybe it's the person you like least. Maybe it's the person you think that the community will miss the least.”

from IGN

Noooo 😭 I hate when games do this
I want to be 100% unvaguely right about fictional crimes

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

singateco posted:

from IGN

Noooo 😭 I hate when games do this
I want to be 100% unvaguely right about fictional crimes

I'm going to arrest Society

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

Don't worry, I'll PM you who is the real murderer. My uncle works at Obsidian.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Watching the trailer I was reminded of The Procession to Calvary for some reason. Regardless, this seems neat and I'm up for whatever this is.

No Dignity posted:

I'm going to arrest Society

:hmmyes:

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

the protagonist did it

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

I'm not interested in this game unless you can have sex in it.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

What you want is Bioware's Pantsiment, then.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

In the interests of appeasing the CRPG player market there will be a painfully out of place bordello with paper cutout sexy dancers and weird PC sex scenes narrated in the style of a religious treatese of the time

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A penis tree or two wouldn't be out of place though.

Edit: Maybe the odd rear end-trumpet. The main character is a journeyman artist after all.

itry fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Jun 16, 2022

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

There's a monastery in the game, of course there will be sex.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

itry posted:

Watching the trailer I was reminded of The Procession to Calvary for some reason.
Procession to Calvary uses actual Renaissance art, chopped up and repurposed in a Terry Gilliam-ish style. Our art style is a combination of late Medieval and early modern (northern Renaissance), so not that far off.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

our?

Arrinien
Oct 22, 2010

Rope kid is Josh Sawyer.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Really? poo poo

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Will the game let me read the Bible

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

You can read the bible right now, man.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Achievement unlocked: Biblical Hermeneutics

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

rope kid posted:

Procession to Calvary uses actual Renaissance art, chopped up and repurposed in a Terry Gilliam-ish style. Our art style is a combination of late Medieval and early modern (northern Renaissance), so not that far off.

how did you convince microsoft to let you make a narrative adventure set in 16th century bavaria and how many of your career-long dreams did this fulfill

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

rope kid posted:

You can read the bible right now, man.

It's not immersive to read unless I'm reading ingame

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

No Dignity posted:

In the interests of appeasing the CRPG player market there will be a painfully out of place bordello with paper cutout sexy dancers and weird PC sex scenes narrated in the style of a religious treatese of the time

And you can walk up to them and press the "interact" key to wave a :20bux: in their face, a la Duke Nukem 3D.

Fake edit: what's the early-modern Holy Roman Empire version of a $20?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

This is the kind of game I have game pass for. Totally surprised by it and yet super super excited to play.

Magrov
Mar 27, 2010

I'm completely lost and have no idea what's going on. I'll be at my bunker.

If you need any diplomatic or mineral stuff just call me. If you plan to nuke India please give me a 5 minute warning to close the windows!

Also Iapetus sucks!
If the font has ligatures, this is an auto-buy.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug
I love all the attention given to fonts both in PoE and especially Pentiment. I know ropekid had a few tweets related to the Pentiment fonts on twitter but I hope we get a deep dive video on them.

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

We'll almost certainly eventually do a talk about their individual design and all of the techniques behind how they render.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

I wonder how does it work with localisation. Nowadays Cyrillic languages localisations are probably dead for a while, but before that they usually suffered from the fact that many fancy fonts don't have a Cyrillic version. Obviously ropekid's will make sure German version is right, but there's also, say, Polish which has ą cóól śęt of łetterż.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

will pick this up, will pin the crime on some local dog. do you still have plans to make that game set in the antebellum south

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

rope kid posted:

We'll almost certainly eventually do a talk about their individual design and all of the techniques behind how they render.

I know you said you've had the idea to make this game for like a decade, but how long ago did the game actually start spinning up to be made? I guess that should be phrased as "when did pre-production begin?" Did you pitch it before you'd finished working on Deadfire? I'm assuming yes, but I also have next to no idea how game production works so :shrug:

If you can't answer, that's fine too.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Dick Burglar posted:

I know you said you've had the idea to make this game for like a decade, but how long ago did the game actually start spinning up to be made? I guess that should be phrased as "when did pre-production begin?" Did you pitch it before you'd finished working on Deadfire? I'm assuming yes, but I also have next to no idea how game production works so :shrug:

If you can't answer, that's fine too.

Along the same lines, I'm curious about inspiration, games, films, books, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

moot the hopple posted:

Achievement unlocked: Biblical Hermeneutics

Only the pentiment man shall pass