Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist

rope kid posted:

E: As for, "Why tell people this?" Some players enjoy games where you solve logic puzzles and methodically narrow down means/motive/opportunity and exclude suspects one at a time until you arrive at The Answer. That isn't what this game is, mechanically or narratively. I'd rather have people say, "Ah, okay, not for me," than get it thinking it's going to be something else.

Or maybe you regret not putting "You don't actually kill a god in this game" on the box of Pillars of Eternity 2 and don't want to do the same mistake twice.

(not trying to be malicious, PoE2 story was great and I'm joking about a surprising number of complaints about players not being able to attack and dethrone God and marry Pallegina)

ilitarist fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jun 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
Unfortunately, this is set in Germany so we won't see the Commedia dell'arte in its earliest stages.

Still holding out for Pentiment 2: Innamorati

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Pretty sure it was rope kid that killed the victim.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

My one gripe is that I wish the art looked a bit closer to what inspired it. My favourite bit in the trailer is when they show part of the book, I kind of want the whole thing to look like that a la Sir Brante.

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Skwirl posted:

The game takes place hundreds of years before the bicycle existed, so gonna go with no?

Excuse me I think you mean hundreds of years AFTER?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

fez_machine posted:

Unfortunately, this is set in Germany so we won't see the Commedia dell'arte in its earliest stages.
It's also a bit later in the century. I love Cd'a, though.

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

Are the witch trials going to play a role in the game? I know the peak isn't until the late 16th century, but that's a fascinating and horrifying piece of history.

DropsySufferer
Nov 9, 2008

Impractical practicality
I think having the main character be a painter was a good idea for the time period. This is one of the few jobs that a commoner can have that allow them to interact with the nobility on a more equal level.

Do we get painting choices in the game is the real question.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

ideally you'd be able to create your own gadgets and machines to help your investigation.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

I think we know who the real killers are

https://twitter.com/WeirdMedieval/status/1539263696798728200?s=20&t=ztPEO7zUYuq74O4HDf6cgw

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Is there some sort of procedural element to this or are the same clues present on every playthrough based on your backgrounds?

I'm immediately reminded of Cave of Qud's detective quest and its reception.

This game seems like a fever dream and I can't wait to play it.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Rope Kid has taken pains to say that this is not an investigation procedural ala Frogwares

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

WarpedLichen posted:

Is there some sort of procedural element to this or are the same clues present on every playthrough based on your backgrounds?

I'm immediately reminded of Cave of Qud's detective quest and its reception.

This game seems like a fever dream and I can't wait to play it.

Basic Chunnel posted:

Rope Kid has taken pains to say that this is not an investigation procedural ala Frogwares

lol the conflict between "procedural" when talking games and "procedural" when talking genre

That said, it's unlikely that's there's going to be a procedural generation or random element in the game. The narrative games it names as influences are far less interested in providing intellectual challenge in the form of a re-playable puzzle and more about letting you explore the consequences of different reactions to the same events.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
I'd like Obsidian to put out a breakdown of a sample murder mystery to clear up some confusion/wishful thinking. Clue? The Last Express? Idk.

Right now, my mind is saying based on the one announcement "Umberto Eco themed Life Sim" but that's just the vibe I got. I like the idea of the murderer being institutions.

Also maybe of interest to this thread is this obscure for Steam title:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/474030/The_Abbey_of_Crime_Extensum/

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Obsidian, doing an Archer game like they did an amazing job with South Park, is also a common request.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Furism posted:

Obsidian, doing an Archer game like they did an amazing job with South Park, is also a common request.

I'm not sure what this means. What's Archer?

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
Obsidian already did an Archer game, it was Alpha Protocol while picking every Suave conversation option.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

wizard2 posted:

I'm not sure what this means. What's Archer?

Animated spy-themed comedy. It's extremely good for at least a few of its seasons and no two people will ever agree on which ones.

It's going to be something of an acquired taste and the animation improves after the first season but I still get a giggle out of this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNYMQpcqscA

note: Ray there starts as a bit of a joke but turns out to be one of the best characters in the whole thing

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

1stGear posted:

Obsidian already did an Archer game, it was Alpha Protocol while picking every Suave conversation option.

I think it's if you flip a coin between suave and angry every time.

The Huge Manatee
Mar 27, 2014

Skwirl posted:

I think it's if you flip a coin between suave and angry every time.

Not forgetting headslam.

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020
I dont remeber a lot of specific scenes from the early 2000s games anymore, but the gelato dialogue and the convo with marburg at the cafe table are still, for my money, some of the most suspenseful sequences in gaming

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

wizard2 posted:

I'd like Obsidian to put out a breakdown of a sample murder mystery to clear up some confusion/wishful thinking. Clue? The Last Express? Idk.

Right now, my mind is saying based on the one announcement "Umberto Eco themed Life Sim" but that's just the vibe I got. I like the idea of the murderer being institutions.

Also maybe of interest to this thread is this obscure for Steam title:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/474030/The_Abbey_of_Crime_Extensum/
It's not logic-based. It's almost entirely gathered evidence and vibes-based. You don't spend time working out opportunity/alibi. You look into suspects with limited time and at the end of that time, you offer the evidence you've found to (or conceal it from) the authorities. The decision you're making has more to do with your opinion and values than with anything else.

The Wicked ZOGA
Jan 27, 2022

Can you play in a way that implies the player character did it

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Can you rule it an obvious suicide?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i'm offering no evidence to the authorities. they can pay attention to the iconography and hidden messages in my paintings if they want to know what I know.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

rope kid posted:

It's not logic-based. It's almost entirely gathered evidence and vibes-based. You don't spend time working out opportunity/alibi. You look into suspects with limited time and at the end of that time, you offer the evidence you've found to (or conceal it from) the authorities. The decision you're making has more to do with your opinion and values than with anything else.

This I like. Sounds like it'll be fun to compare with friends when I beat it.

Khanstant posted:

i'm offering no evidence to the authorities. they can pay attention to the iconography and hidden messages in my paintings if they want to know what I know.

Sounds like a job for art cop.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

would be wild if there were a hidden reference to the idea of a bicycle being thought up by someone in the game.

funkymonks
Aug 31, 2004

Pillbug

Cavauro posted:

would be wild if there were a hidden reference to the idea of a bicycle being thought up by someone in the game.

We will find out the victim was actually a proponent of indexed shifting and the perpetrator will be cleared of wrongdoing.

Sagabal
Apr 24, 2010

rope kid posted:

how wacky can we get with who we're accusing

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

If you or someone you know has a gambling problem, crisis counseling and referral services can be accessed by calling
1-800-GAMBLER

Ultra Carp

Alejandro Sanchez posted:

how wacky can we get with who we're accusing

"Your holiness, Paul III, you stand accused of..."

TheNamedSavior
Mar 10, 2019

by VideoGames
Am I a dick for thinking I'm smart for not being confused at the idea of "The game doesn't say for certain who did it?" It's not the MCU, they're not gonna explain it outright for the lazy layman. Then again, I can see how people would go into it thinking they're gonna be so smart for guessing it's the rich guy upon pressing start, only to be dumbfounded when literally nothing is answered for sure.

I do hope that the writers knew who did it at least, so the story isn't riddled with obvious plot holes in a failed attempt to make sure for "certain" that no one figures it out. That'd be annoying. IIRC Her Story did that, and it sucked.

Either way, I'm expecting the lack of clear answers to be something that divides critics and players when the game comes out. And IMHO I'm gonna praise Obsidian for that decision either way. I was the one who defended Firewatch when they had an ending that was actually thought provoking instead of some dumb MCUy "you press X to punch the bad guy in the face" ending, and the one who defends EVA for ending on a vague, cool, weird outta worldly piece, instead of "everyone lives" or something. I'm sick of seeing people who think neoliberalism is the only way to write stories. We NEED more stories that are willing to take a stance, and taking a stance against objective reality in fiction is one step to a more Anarchist (read: free-thinking) way of storytelling.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

At a really basic level, we simply don't deal with the "opportunity" element of the murders. In our prototype, we had opportunity be part of the investigation and there were two issues: 1) it's quite time-consuming 2) they either exclude people (making the pool smaller) or it's time spent establishing a person doesn't have an alibi. And that's not really the point of the investigation. We aren't interested in the logic puzzle aspect of solving the murder -- and to be clear, you are not part of a trial. You are not a legal agent. You're a person who takes it upon himself to gather information to offer up when questioned by authorities.

The question put before you is who you want to be punished for the crime. It can be the person you believe has the strongest motive or is most physically/psychologically capable of performing the act itself, the person you dislike the most, the person you think the community will miss least. You can offer up evidence on every suspect you gather information on, just one, or a subset. Everyone is considered to have equal opportunity/no alibi because we simply never bring it up in the context of your investigation.

Furism
Feb 21, 2006

Live long and headbang
Was due process even a thing in Middle Ages, or is that a very modern concept?

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Due process existed in English law since around the Magna Carta. In the HRE, the Constitutio Criminalis Carolina (adopted in 1532) used the inquisitorial system, which granted fewer rights to the accused and more power to magistrates. Prior to the adoption of the Carolina, the HRE was a patchwork of regional criminal codes and processes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Forgive me if this was already explained and I just missed it, but after you present your information, do the Arbiters simply go with your findings or can they choose to ignore it or to dispute it?

I know you've stressed the player character is NOT a legal figure but do you have to argue why your evidence stands up if questioned, or do you just present it and then they send you on your way and later somebody/nobody gets blamed for the crime and maybe it is who you accused but also maybe not?

Looking forward to playing this (and loving up the investigation because I'm not smart!)

WarpedLichen
Aug 14, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Forgive me if this was already explained and I just missed it, but after you present your information, do the Arbiters simply go with your findings or can they choose to ignore it or to dispute it?

I know you've stressed the player character is NOT a legal figure but do you have to argue why your evidence stands up if questioned, or do you just present it and then they send you on your way and later somebody/nobody gets blamed for the crime and maybe it is who you accused but also maybe not?

Looking forward to playing this (and loving up the investigation because I'm not smart!)

That would be hilarious if there was a default line to the investigation if you were totally incompetent in presenting your info which would be equivalent to doing nothing, simultaneously that would feel really bad player agency wise? Spend X hours in a game just to be an rear end in a top hat nobody pays any attention to.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I hope the player character is the real villain and the game is just an elaborate cover up.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
I hope there's an option to self-incriminate for every crime

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Personally hoping this is a VVitch situation in which the devil is real and you can conjure him to pass Your Own Justice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't want to spoil anything but it's an inquisitorial system, so it does not resemble what we understand as a modern American or European court in appearance or function.