Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Presto posted:

Ahem. 10 Cent Beer Night.

There was also his Disco Demolition Night that was such a rousing success that the White Sox had to forfeit the second game of a double header because the fans had rendered the field unplayable.

Yeah there could be a whole post on Veeck. Another good one also involving Zack Taylor as manager had him handing all the fans cards that said things like take, swing, bunt, etc for one game and the fans would vote on what to do by holding them up. Supposedly Taylor was faithful to what the fans wanted; in any case the Browns won that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Is there an NFL rule prohibiting a team that’s got nothing to play for in the last two weeks if they’ve already clinched the best possible playoff outcome from putting their practice squad on the field to rest starters and prevent fluke injuries?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
You can only elevate two practice squad players a week, and you have to have space on your roster to do it, and anyone who's accrued an actual NFL season can't be on a practice squad so you're not gonna be dropping your vets to the practice squad to make room either. Also, your practice squad is only 16 players to begin with which isn't even a full defense and offense. You can play or not play whoever's on your 53-man roster however you want, though, so resting starters is a thing that happens all the time.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret
All that said, yes, resting as many of the starters as possible is not uncommon in the NFL if a team is already locked in to their playoff spot. You might get a handful of the starters not dressed, or they'll come out just for the opening drive or so for some conservative play calling (For example, they may throw a few quick passes to a wide receiver to hit some milestone or whatever) and then take them out for the backups to come in for the bulk of the game.

This is basically just limited to the last week of the season, as it's rare for teams to be fully locked into their specific playoff seeding prior to that, in part as the NFL will often stack a good number of divisional games late in the season, and the final week is now always divisional matchups that have a bigger impact on playoff spots.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
And if they rest and then lose some media guy will always blame it on that no matter how silly.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
oh yeah you cant win with that

If you lose in the first round you play and you rested, it's cause you were rusty from too much time off

If you lose in the first round you play and you didn't, its cause you wore your stars out in a meaningless game

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

fast cars loose anus posted:

oh yeah you cant win with that

If you lose in the first round you play and you rested, it's cause you were rusty from too much time off

If you lose in the first round you play and you didn't, its cause you wore your stars out in a meaningless game

Oh yeah, it was something that all possible outcomes of resting starters occurred during the Peyton Manning years in Indianapolis, which is really what brought a lot of the debate about resting players to the forefront in the NFL.

In 1999, in the Colts were 13-2 going into the last game of the season against then-divisional rival Buffalo. They played their starters for most of the game (They were the #2 seed and had a chance at the #1 seed, either way they'd get a bye) and lost, but in the process lost starting linebacker Cornelius Bennett to a knee injury. Bennett was one of their leading tacklers and a leader on defense, and without him they got run over by Eddie George and the Titans and lost 19-16 in their first playoff game.

After that, the front office made it well known that they would rest starters late in seasons when they had everything locked up, much to the chagrin of some in the media. The Colts rested starters the last game in 2004, blew out Denver in the Wild Card round, but then lost in poor weather in New England in the Divisional Round. The next year, the rested most of the last two weeks of the regular season, but infamously came out flat and looked off in a narrow Divisional loss at home to Pittsburgh (Mike Vanderjagt! :argh:). The Colts infamously couldn't rest their starters in 2006, needing to play to secure their spot, but ended up winning the Super Bowl that year anyway. A few years later in 2009, they started 14-0 and infamously made the call to rest starters literally midway through their 15th game. The backups came in and immediately blew a lead against the Jets resulting in their first loss of the year. The main players barely played the last game of the year against Buffalo, another loss, but then come playoff time the Colts came out just fine and still made it to the Super Bowl.

Note that this wasn't some new idea that teams started doing in the 2000s, there were examples of teams resting starters back in the 90s and likely earlier. Off hand, both Washington and San Francisco did it on their way to Super Bowls in 1991 and 1994 respectively, while San Francisco also did it in the final game of the 1992 season which resulted in Joe Montana's last action for the 49ers when he came in with the backups for the second half.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Appreciate the in-depth explanation, wouldn’t have thought a 14-0 team would pull starters as that’s probably a once in a franchise season.

Related, what are the rules about who plays in the preseason? I know there was grumbling when another game was added and understand the starters need some play time but was there something about the NFL demanding the star players be on the field more than they really needed to be and some teams were getting season ending injuries?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I remember a while back when the biggest complainers about teams resting starters were fantasy football players.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
That's why most leagues schedule their championship for the 2nd to last week of the season

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What's the sport I saw probably in the last Summer Olympics, match I saw was women, six to a side maybe plus a keeper?, looks like a basketball court with lacrosse nets at the end, sometimes they dribbled a ball but sometimes they just carried it?

q_k
Dec 31, 2007

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What's the sport I saw probably in the last Summer Olympics, match I saw was women, six to a side maybe plus a keeper?, looks like a basketball court with lacrosse nets at the end, sometimes they dribbled a ball but sometimes they just carried it?

Probably handball.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Handball doesn't totally make sense to me but I usually will spend a couple hours watching it every Olympics. I'm sure it's perfectly understandable they just never explain it because it's usually an international crew that covers it.

marioinblack
Sep 21, 2007

Number 1 Bullshit

Rick posted:

Handball doesn't totally make sense to me but I usually will spend a couple hours watching it every Olympics. I'm sure it's perfectly understandable they just never explain it because it's usually an international crew that covers it.

This is the best way to watch sports. Know nothing about it with commentators that are catering to an audience that knows the sport. Then when they say "Annika Mueller is the first German since Angela Kloberstein in 1980 to record 5 area guards during a match" you think about how impressive that is despite not understanding anything about that sentence. Then say if you're watching it with someone that Denmark needs to watch out for Mueller to try and sound smart.

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

It looked fun! I think it was just something I caught 15 minutes of on mute for some reason. Do men play? Where do high-level handball players come from (like I've never met anyone who has ever played handball as far as I know but iirc there's a few small sports where in the US where the Pac-12 schools are the highest level of domestic competition)

Moktaro
Aug 3, 2007
I value call my nuts.

Veeck also wrote a book about his time managing the struggling racetrack Suffolk Downs, it was a fun read in my opinion.

https://books.google.com/books/about/Thirty_Tons_a_Day.html?id=CmAqPwAACAAJ

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Aaron Judge just got a nine-year contract at age 30. Do MLB players actually play that long or is this contract games?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

smackfu posted:

Aaron Judge just got a nine-year contract at age 30. Do MLB players actually play that long or is this contract games?

It's not uncommon for elite players to play that long. There were multiple players over 40 years old playing last year.

Why is that common? Well, pitchers can pitch as long as they can maintain velocity or movement. Guys in their late 30s can often still throw hard enough and if they lose velocity compared to when they were younger they can get by with improving the movement on their pitches or even by developing new pitches.

Position players can transition to a DH (designated hitter) role as their ability to play the field starts to wane. Good hitters can usually continue to hit even late in their careers, but as they age they might find it harder to play defense due to the speed required to cover ground etc.

That said, there's not a ton of old players that play. Obviously you have to be pretty good to play at a major league level into your late 30s. Most guys will retire or age out of the league and have to play in lesser pro leagues long before that.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Why are the fans/owners of cold weather NFL teams alright with the league never putting a Superbowl in their city? I realize there's probably some revenue sharing system involved, but they're fine with playing the entire playoffs in the snow but come the championship game (which is presumably a licence to print money for the team that hosts it) 90% of the time it's in Miami or California.

I know they throw cities like Minnesota a bone once a decade, but that has never made sense to me. Does the league actually think no one would show up if there was a Superbowl in New York?

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

ThinkTank posted:

Why are the fans/owners of cold weather NFL teams alright with the league never putting a Superbowl in their city? I realize there's probably some revenue sharing system involved, but they're fine with playing the entire playoffs in the snow but come the championship game (which is presumably a licence to print money for the team that hosts it) 90% of the time it's in Miami or California.

I know they throw cities like Minnesota a bone once a decade, but that has never made sense to me. Does the league actually think no one would show up if there was a Superbowl in New York?

They did throw one in New York. The issue is more all the ancillary poo poo, like the NFL takes over large sections of the city for like branded events and stuff. All that is way fuckin easier when its warm.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Technically cities bid to host the Super Bowl, not the NFL teams themselves. So the Superdome has hosted seven Super Bowls but the Saints don’t own the stadium so not sure they get any money out of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I kind of assume there's a base level of corruption in anything that cities bid for which might make it hard for cities who don't typically bid for such things to get it together enough to do it.

The NBA puts more of a thumb on the scales when it comes to where the All Star game goes which is why it's going to Utah this year and seems to mostly cycle through all the cities, albeit with maybe an extra dip in LA and NY here and there and an infamous Vegas year.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

People want to party in warm places in February.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Wedge Regret
There’s also a general feeling of the league wanting the Super Bowl to be purely about the teams on the field and not the weather. Yes, this ignores much of NFL history and lore and all the other playoffs, but that’s the NFL for ya. As others have mentioned, there’s all the other ancillary stuff like the week of festivities and poo poo leading up to the game, the halftime show, etc, that they don’t want impacted.

Cold weather cities with a domed stadium will basically one, maybe two, Super Bowls when they’re new, which is how we’ve ended up with ones in Detroit, Minneapolis, and Indianapolis, and I think even one or two of those was mildly impacted by the weather (Detroit for Super Bowl XVI or Minneapolis for Super Bowl XXVI, IIRC).

MetLife Stadium getting Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014 was basically something we probably won’t see again for many years, if ever, as IIRC they got like a foot of snow the next day which would have hosed up a lot.

ohhyeah
Mar 24, 2016
As a casual American soccer watcher, I feel like I often see headlines about clubs loaning players, big transfer fees, etc. - but I rarely see headlines about actual player contracts.

Is there some reason why say, EPL contracts aren’t as big a deal as blockbuster NBA/NFL/MLB contracts, or is that a misconception because I’m an American just scrolling ESPN? What are typical EPL or other football club contracts like?

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

ohhyeah posted:

As a casual American soccer watcher, I feel like I often see headlines about clubs loaning players, big transfer fees, etc. - but I rarely see headlines about actual player contracts.

Is there some reason why say, EPL contracts aren’t as big a deal as blockbuster NBA/NFL/MLB contracts, or is that a misconception because I’m an American just scrolling ESPN? What are typical EPL or other football club contracts like?

It's mostly cause you're scrolling in America, yeah. Wages are generally easy to find these days for soccer players. It's kind of like how I, as an Astros fan, will hear about both the contract we signed Jose Abreu to and also the contract we sign a platoon outfielder to, but a Yankees fan is unlikely to hear about the second one.

Dunno about typical contracts, someone with more experience can explain that. I do find it kind of interesting that its often reported as "x pounds/euros per week" instead of yearly.

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about
It also matters less than US sports as there's no salary cap

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vando posted:

is there CBT (competitive balance tax, you perv)

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Ginette Reno posted:

Why is that common? Well, pitchers can pitch as long as they can maintain velocity or movement.
Yeah, Hoyt Wilhelm pitched until he was 49, but he was a knuckleball pitcher.

(A knuckleball is thrown relatively slowly, so it's not stressful on the arm.)

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Vando posted:

Well, there is "financial fair play", but that is so easy to get around it might as well not exist. Fun fact: Chelsea have long operated within the boundaries of Financial Fair Play, but still needed millions in loans each season from Roman Abramovich to break even

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Another American here, with a soccer contract question. All fans of the sport seem to like the relegation system. But for teams near the bottom of the standings who are at risk of relegation, how do they have any bargaining power to sign free agents? Do players sign 4 or 5 year contracts knowing they might play years of the contract in a totally separate league? Or do players all just tell those teams they'll only sign for one year at most? And if you're a player with sponsorships, there's no way you would take the risk of signing on to a team going to a lower league with way less viewership, right? And then when a team gets relegated, do all the players just try to jump ship and get on a team that's still in the main league?

Vando
Oct 26, 2007

stoats about

Stealth Tiger posted:

Another American here, with a soccer contract question. All fans of the sport seem to like the relegation system. But for teams near the bottom of the standings who are at risk of relegation, how do they have any bargaining power to sign free agents? Do players sign 4 or 5 year contracts knowing they might play years of the contract in a totally separate league? Or do players all just tell those teams they'll only sign for one year at most? And if you're a player with sponsorships, there's no way you would take the risk of signing on to a team going to a lower league with way less viewership, right? And then when a team gets relegated, do all the players just try to jump ship and get on a team that's still in the main league?

Usually a combination of short term contracts and relegation release clauses, the problem is often the other way around though because players good enough to have commercial image concerns with playing in a lower league are going to be too good to ever be signing for relegation candidates in the first place, it's clubs being stuck with a top league wage bill on a lower league TV deal that really causes issues.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Vando posted:

Usually a combination of short term contracts and relegation release clauses, the problem is often the other way around though because players good enough to have commercial image concerns with playing in a lower league are going to be too good to ever be signing for relegation candidates in the first place, it's clubs being stuck with a top league wage bill on a lower league TV deal that really causes issues.

The above is also why when either a traditionally very good team, or a team that has spent way over their means to try and buy success get relegated they often tumble down the leagues.

'Doing a Leeds' so to speak.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doing_a_Leeds

quote:

"Doing a Leeds" is an English football phrase which is synonymous with the potentially dire consequences for domestic clubs in financial mismanagement. The phrase arose after the rapid decline of Premier League club Leeds United F.C., who invested heavily in the late 1990s and early 2000s to attain domestic and lucrative European success, which was capped by high profile appearances in the semi-finals of the UEFA Cup and UEFA Champions League. However, in the process, the club built up large debts, and suffered financial meltdown after failing to continue to qualify for the competition, subsequently dropping down two levels of the football pyramid, into the third tier, Football League One.

Since the creation of the Premier League, a total of 24 of its former clubs have been relegated to League One, of which seven fell down further into the fourth tier (Football League Two) and one of these further into the fifth tier (the National League). Because they had never previously experienced relegation to League One or its predecessors, Leeds were the object of careful observation by media and derision by rival fans.

There are many facilities in place now to try and prevent this. Parachute Payments are lump sums paid to teams relegated from the Premier League in an effort to try and prevent teams doing a Leeds.

Inevitably as the Premier League has grown and grown teams getting promoted from the Championship either have to spend big in the summer with the hope of staying up, or actually just stay with the team they have. The financial rewards for just being in the premier league are great enough that if you don't go crazy, getting relegated means you often get promoted again the following year by dint of having much more money to spend on players than other championship rivals.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

R.D. Mangles posted:

People want to party in warm places in February.

I mean, look at the college bowl tradition that the Super Bowl got the term "bowl" from back in 1966. I'm pretty sure the only bowl held 3+ times north of the North Carolina/Virginia border was the Liberty Bowl, at the time.

worst ever at ping-pong
Jun 11, 2010

Why does basketball still have a backcourt violation if there’s a shot clock?

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

Because forcing one is cool, and accidentally doing it is funny.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

worst ever at ping-pong posted:

Same reason why there’s a violation for not bringing the ball into the front court quickly enough - to make the game more exciting.

Making people play in the front court and go through offensive sets is more fun than letting them use the length of the court for 24 seconds.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

It owns in March madness when you see how many teams simply cannot get the ball over half court in ten seconds when pressed.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

R.D. Mangles posted:

It owns in March madness when you see how many teams simply cannot get the ball over half court in ten seconds when pressed.

Even in the NBA there are basically two types of violations: ones from great full court defence and ones from hilarious fuckups. Both are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

harperdc posted:

Same reason why there’s a violation for not bringing the ball into the front court quickly enough - to make the game more exciting.

Making people play in the front court and go through offensive sets is more fun than letting them use the length of the court for 24 seconds.

Then explain the popularity of soccer to me.

Matter of fact, I'm now in favor a shot clock in soccer.

I like playing it and did for several years but what with the World Cup going on right now I've seen a lot of it on TV and it's not a great watch. Decades ago, there used to be a version of it called Indoor Soccer that was basically played in a hockey rink and the goal was inset past the boundaries of the walls. It was pretty fun to watch. Hockey + Soccer.

Dudes could pass to each other off the wall and use the contained area to do all kinds of weird poo poo. Goals and points actually existed. Not sure if they still have that or not.

And as long as I'm talking about it, are there point spreads in soccer and, if so, how does that work? When every loving game is 1-0 or ends in a tie that's settled on penalty kicks that is basically luck, how does someone betting on it get money on Brazil and lay a point? Or are bets more along the lines of time of possession and time spent in the opponents side of the field or shots on goal?