Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

Rick posted:

So what I think happens, is that before college guys who are great athletes just multi-task every position that an adult can get away with playing them at. Is that true"? Like my assumption when the Arizona QB punts every other game he didn't just start doing that when he got into camp as a freshman. And it's the same for emergency skill position players in the pros.

It's more a function of at high school level, particularly outside of the few states where high school football is a huge deal, a certain high school may not actually have a player who's been a punter or a kicker already. So they ask like "hey, anyone played soccer," and let players who already have positions give it a go because, well, you need someone to kick to play. And some of these players, who are already good at their position, happen to also be good enough at kicking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

The news of the guy running the sub-2:01 marathon got me thinking (and I wanted an excuse to bump this thread, which was always interesting): I assume there could be big differences between urban marathon courses in terms of terrain and such so is there a quantifiable like "ballpark factor" anyone's tried to calculate for the major ones to compare or normalize results?

Absolutely. There’s races that are stereotyped s as fast or slow, depending on a whole bunch of things - elevation gain or loss, road surface, type and tightness of curves, weather, etc. Of course you can have a storm on the day, or it can be unseasonably hot or cold, but to tie it back to the WR there’s definitely a reason it happened in Chicago instead of, e.g, New York (bridges = hills).