Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Key Offseason Dates:

June 23
NBA draft day.

June 29
Last day for decisions on player, team, and early termination options (certain contracts will require earlier decisions).
Last day for teams to make qualifying offers to players eligible for restricted free agency.

June 30
Last official day of the 2021/22 NBA league year.
Last day for players eligible for veteran extensions in 2021/22 to sign them.
Teams can begin negotiating with free agents (5:00pm CT
).

July 1
Official start of the 2022/23 NBA league year.
Moratorium period begins.
Restricted free agents can sign an offer sheet.

Teams can begin signing players to rookie scale contracts, minimum salary contracts, and two-way contracts.
Teams can begin exercising the third- or fourth-year team options for 2023/24 on rookie scale contracts.

July 6
Moratorium period ends (11:01am CT)
Teams can begin officially signing players, extending players, and completing trades (11:01am CT).
The two-day period for matching an RFA offer sheet signed during the moratorium begins.

July 7-17
Las Vegas Summer League.

July 13
Last day for teams to unilaterally withdraw qualifying offers to restricted free agents.

August 31
Last day for teams to waive players and apply the stretch provision to their 2022/23 salaries.

September 5
Last day for teams to issue required tenders to unsigned second-round picks; those players become free agents on September 6 if not tendered.

Late September (specific dates TBA)
Training camps open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Looking at that I'm actually traveling out of the country for free agency. That'll make it easy harder to shitpost.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

How do you demand to host when you play in someone elses stadium?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

Thats cool but seems like it could be a dangerous mix of ownership and labor.

Oh don't worry, EU basketball has lots of things way more exploitive than that.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

100% right move

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Tae posted:

I just remembered that literally no draft pick before Coby White is still on the team. Bulls are loving garbage at drafts.

Patrick Williams and Ayo are still on the team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Henchman of Santa posted:

Those are post-Coby picks.

Oh, missed the before. I mean yeah Bulls have been pretty bad at drafting since the Rose/Noah/Deng era (for a while there they had a great run though), though they also made the decision to go out and buy a team instead of growing one so I guess not having 2nd contract guys makes some sense.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Harlock posted:

Durant and Ben Simmons as your two stars is certainly something

Kyrie playing in Brooklyn didn't really help the team all that much.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

R.D. Mangles posted:

i remain flummoxed by this. if the bulls were to trade vooch for gobert, they'd be taking an offense that everyone is screaming doesn't have enough shooting and would take a center who can theoretically shoot and drag someone out to the perimeter to create lanes for zach and demar for a guy who can only shoot 3 inches from the basket and would allow the other team to just camp their shotblockers in the paint.

Gobert will give you more on defense and paint garbage than he'll take away from half-court offense. Plus, it's not like its impossible to have a top-end offense with Gobert, Utah just did it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Carlosologist posted:

I think any team acquiring Rudy can't also rely on him to be the only source of defense. Need to have some capable defenders on the wings for when the game gets small and he can't stay on the floor

San Antonio would probably be the perfect fit in terms of maximizing how much you get out of him in a deep playoff room

Bulls have some good perimeter defense options in general, even if you do have to kinda hid Zach somewhat. If they can keep Pat Williams that defense would be amazing, though I think you'd need to include him in a trade.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I think Kerr wants to go back into the FO so I'm thinking Atkinson either has a promise or just figures it's an inside track and he can always find a HC job in any off-season, honestly.

NieR Occomata posted:

at this point if you want to coach like the Lakers or

Lol, no one wants to coach the Lakers

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kibner posted:

The posters on here spoil you guys. Trust me, those fan bases are just as bad, or will be, once they get revved up. The Pels fanbase, in particular, is very petty and will constantly bring up poo poo from years and decades ago.

I appreciate the kind thoughts, though!

Timberwolves fans are weirdly overrepresented on here, in the wild they largely don't care. Just at fatalistic though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Would have to be after Klay retires, see prevuous statements about going full Jordan ride-or-die with Phil Jackson.

There's a non-zero chance that Kerr won't physically be able to coach. He doesn't strike me as the kind of guy who will grind his spine into dust doing 41+ travel games.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Whoa, drat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I actually think Dantoni would be great for this team for 2 years, get them to be a fiesty ~50 win team, then hand it off to someone who can be the more longer term option.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

kingcobweb posted:

Someone explain to me why it’s a good trade for Denver

Their championship window is opening now. They have a guy they like in the late first or they intend to use that pick to get more vet help.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

morestuff posted:

I think the only non-Laker blogger still talking about it is Kevin O’Connor, who has the worst hit rate of anyone employed by an actual website.

It makes zero sense from Charlotte’s side unless they really truly think he can regain his MVP form, and even then it’d be terrible for LaMelo’s development. I’m not going to say it’s impossible but it’s been a few years since they did something truly stupid. Maybe that means they’re due.

It wouldn't even make much sense for the Lakers. It wouldn't free up all that much money. Maybe if its something like a 3-way trade for Kyrie but that doesn't make a ton of sense for anybody either.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Doltos posted:

Man the Wizards really squandered Wall and Beal huh

Wall's legs blew up and Beal took a bit to become a star. They were looking like they were getting there as a 49 win team in 16-17 and then Wall stopped being able to play more than half a seasons worth of games (and was also bad). That's not really the Wizards fault.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Salvor_Hardin posted:

No one gets paid in crypto, they just convert a portion of their salary, sometimes using a 3rd party to facilitate. It's always just the dumbest form of PR.

I'm actually sorta assuming they all get paid endorsement money for saying they took bitcoin whether or not they do. The language is full of weasel words like "portion of contract paid" or whatever.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chilihead posted:

Yeah John Wall is only 31 and he has been unable to play a full season for half a decade. Can't even blame age or that his game is based on athleticism.

It's what happens to the Rose-class star guards. Beware Ja Morant.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Bip Roberts posted:

Vince Carter on the other hand.

Carter was considerably bigger and stouter. Dwade is probably the best example of that archetype with health and longevity and he wasn't exactly an iron man.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

anakha posted:

Size difference aside, I don't recall Vince ever really torquing his body to change directions like Wall, Rose, or Morant have. Even Wade would Eurostep more than do those jump-stop moves the other three did,

Early Wade was pretty slithery, he'd always end up on the floor after a drive. But yeah, he was a little less explosive.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

PJ Tucker is 37, whoever is holding him when he becomes a potato will deserve what they get.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

ja doesnt torque his knees inwards To generate lift. His biomechanics are a lot better. His problem is that he recklessly flings his body around like an ECW wrestler circa 1999

I can't hear you nerd, he's a 6'3 jumpy man so bye bye knees.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

snyprmag posted:

The league should find a way to make KD play for a Seattle Super Sonics expansion team. he was suppose to go there when he was drafted and it get the new franchise off to a fun start.

He played a season in Seattle as Shooting Guard! It didn't go so well.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

chilihead posted:

Quick question, let's say Las Vegas and Seattle are the two next expansion teams. Which team moves to the East?

Minnesota has like 6 EC teams within a 3 hour flight and only 1 WC team.

Memphis makes sense too but they are at least close to the Texas teams. Minnesota is near nobody.

Blind Pineapple posted:

I was bored and mapped out 8 4-team divisions when the expansion rumors started kicking up. The best I came up with was:

East

Minnesota
Milwaukee
Chicago
Indiana

Detroit
Cleveland
Philly
Washington

Swap Detroit and Indiana. You basically have the NFC North then in basketball and Indiana is more of a rust-belt than great lakes team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Portland got their guy but if that pick is unprotected it might turn out pretty nice.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Crazy Ted posted:

Here's the problem: So all Ayton wants out of pro basketball is a big-bucks 2nd contract. Okay, so Phoenix gives it to him and then tries to justify it by featuring him in the offense more. Now that he's got the one thing he wanted out of the NBA what are the odds that he gets even marginally better? And would making him a featured option on offense just make him look worse?

"I want to earn the second contract" probably means more I want to work hard and prove I belong, not "once I get it I've accomplished my NBA goals."

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, at that age and that level of athlete is not a matter of just eating. It'll take a concerted effort to put on weight and put it on the right way. None of these guys are skinny because they're skipping meals.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Kinda didn't matter, the point of those picks is to trade them for a soon to be washed up star so everyone can save face

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

The disappointment is you take Murray if you need a solid guy while everyone develops. Kings need a lot more than that. They keep taking high floor/low ceiling guys then insist they are ready to breakout.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ammanas posted:

No player that is destined to be a star is going to stay in Sacramento. It is a loser franchise. If, say, Sac had the first pick in Zions draft, he'd be the first player to hit free agency from his rookie contract. Pretty Good players is all Sacramento can keep and they have to overpay to do so.

No player has ever walked away from a rookie Max, ever. You have the player for 8 years if you draft them.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Davion is nice but the number of fans who keep saying he was a hit for Monte is annoying. He was a win now already developed older player that didn't make any rookie team and didn't play at a position of need. I get Vlade left the cupboard bare and just finding a young rotation player gives Monte more options to play with, but as of now it was a safe base hit when we are down 10 runs.

Maybe he uses Davion as a sweetener for a bigger deal, but Monte thrives on almost trades

Yeah, exactly. If they were like, Charlotte or Memphis a couple years ago these would be good moves. When you have your foundation and you need time it's a different story. But they need game changers, not the 4-7 rotation guys they keep going after.

It drives me crazy. I can forgive making mistakes and being wrong about guys, but this is just totally not understanding what your team is.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

can someone untangle the timberwolves draft night for me and also tell me if they ended up with good players

They wanted Mark Williams and couldn't move up to him (I'd assume they offered essentially all their picks this year, but I think wisely didn't give up anything future. So they went to plan B and found a way to trade down, getting the 22nd and 29th for the 19th. They got Walker Kessler, a Plumlee-like center but probably a dude who will make a decent backup center. Defender, rebounder, some rim-running.

They then traded the 29th and some future 2nds for the 26th and took Wendell Moore Jr, a Junior from Duke, 6'5 guy with a 7 foot wingspan. He shot 40% from 3 last season but that was an outlier. He'll probably be a good defender and maybe a bit of a playmaker in terms of his passing. So another maybe decent rotation guy but not a super high upside or anything.

They then moved back in the 2nd to get some future 2nds (don't know what yet), took Josh Minott an athletic project guy and then a Italian guy who is a stasher (but maybe a decent PG?)

Lockback fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 25, 2022

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Come not be cowardly and make some bold predictions about the 2022 draft class
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4005444

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

People don't realize just how bad an NBA replacement-level player is.

also:

dokmo posted:

Kyrie is basketball Marlon Brando

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He'd only be available in a trade and people don't seem to care enough to understand how players are acquired in the NBA before writing rumors.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dexo posted:

ngl that sounds like an extremely good player

Or really bad depending on what you're mixing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

That’s just random, as gas station attendant was historically a male occupation

I believe in the early 20th century some localities had laws AGAINST women pumping gas. So maybe it's a type of progressive women's suffrage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

CharlestheHammer posted:

What would the nets even get from the lakers.

You know.