Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
Just a feeling but I think this is going to be a very DEALS-heavy draft night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hornets overpaying for Turner feels like destiny at this point but at least he’d be a perfect fit (other than health)

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/kyrieirving/status/1538890452660654081?s=21&t=SGD_uvFLiRnx-Zqm4LS_hg

Kyrie to Baltimore confirmed

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Just setting expectations for myself because odds are I’ll try and rationalize whatever they do:

Dream Hornets off-season: re-sign Miles and IT; trade PJ Washington and filler for Turner/Holmes/Poeltl/Center X, whoever bites; draft Duren or Williams and the wing of your choice at 13+15.

LaMelo / Rozier / Hayward / Miles / Center X

IT / Bouknight / draft pick / McDaniels / draft pick

Second-rounder / Oubre / Thor / Kai Jones / Nick Richards

Likely (and fine) Hornets offseason: re-sign Miles Bridges; trade one of the draft picks for Myles Turner or another center; draft a wing; try to re-sign IT and Cody Martin but more likely go bargain hunting.

Disaster Hornets offseason: trade Miles or let him walk; significantly overpay for a center; weird bad deal involving Hayward; anything involving Westbrook

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Paul Zuvella posted:

How is this not tampering

You’re allowed to have contact with your own players

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

chilihead posted:

Oh but it does because the Bulls have 20 million worth of cap space until they sign LaVine.

If they want to re-sign him as a Bird free agent you have to include his cap hold which is $29,250,000

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I mostly just can’t believe another team couldn’t beat that kind of piss-poor offer

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

The team knows, they just haven’t put out a press release about it. It was reported like a week ago

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

All fans are bad

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I’m willing to believe Turner finally gets traded, at least. He’s an expiring, they aren’t really going to need him this year, and I can’t imagine he’s enjoyed the Pacers experience

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1539258632151486464?s=20&t=MUgH1a3Mfddu6UOkanTrSA

Suddenly more than OK with D'Antoni! Hopefully Dan D'an is cheap

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

I actually think Dantoni would be great for this team for 2 years, get them to be a fiesty ~50 win team, then hand it off to someone who can be the more longer term option.

The problem with D'Antoni (which, I admit, depends on how he approaches the job) is that they need to invest serious effort in developing Bouknight, Kai Jones, JT Thor, Jalen McDaniels, and their (hopefully) three draft picks this year to build anything sustainable. The worst thing for this team would be pressure from both the coaches and the owner to make win-now moves

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Calidus posted:

Can you send a first round pick to the G league full time? How would that affect your cap sheet?

Yes and not at all

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Got off salary, a first rounder this year is more valuable to a competing team like Denver than a likely comparable pick five years from now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Deal season officially here

https://twitter.com/dejountemurray/status/1539310525347090433?s=21&t=AtvO-hHqWh-doe2VD0aP5w

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Calidus posted:

How much of this charlotte might take Russ for cap space next year is generic Lakers media noise?

I think the only non-Laker blogger still talking about it is Kevin O’Connor, who has the worst hit rate of anyone employed by an actual website.

It makes zero sense from Charlotte’s side unless they really truly think he can regain his MVP form, and even then it’d be terrible for LaMelo’s development. I’m not going to say it’s impossible but it’s been a few years since they did something truly stupid. Maybe that means they’re due.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Lockback posted:

It wouldn't even make much sense for the Lakers. It wouldn't free up all that much money. Maybe if its something like a 3-way trade for Kyrie but that doesn't make a ton of sense for anybody either.

Well the Lakers would be getting two players better than Russell Westbrook

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I mean he was always gonna opt out to get his mega deal right

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

are all those kids six foot or what

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

This dude is making a killing in retweets by either misunderstanding or intentionally misstating what other reporters are actually saying

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Here's the closest Woj actually comes to saying that:

quote:

How far do the Nets push and leave themselves open to the organization's greatest vulnerability -- an Irving exit resulting in Durant deciding the roster is no longer talented enough for championship contention?

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/JakeLFischer/status/1539686979977330690?s=20&t=z6e1Rd5iGDKERCKyM-M3tw

trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades trades

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Crazy Ted posted:

Shut Up and Jam: Escape from Cleveland

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMlHiDzHkSk

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1539729017326243840?s=20&t=z6e1Rd5iGDKERCKyM-M3tw

TRAAAAAADE

that doesn't seem like much, gg Portland

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Will not be shocked at all if Detroit throws an offer sheet at Mile Bridges

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

I pretty sure they can offer sheet both Ayton and Miles now if they want to

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

xbilkis posted:

Am I misguided in thinking that a team opening up cap space to go after Ayton might actually increase Phoenix's odds of keeping him?

My thought process was that if he was dependent on the S&T market to move elsewhere, then the Suns would have a decent bit of leverage and would be more likely to find a deal that put them at peace with Ayton walking. But if Detroit signs him to a max offer sheet and tries to acquire him outright, why not just match the offer sheet and retain a valuable asset rather than letting him go for nothing?

Because their whole deal is they don’t want to pay him a max

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

From what I understand once he agrees to an offer sheet a sign and trade is off the table

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Rick posted:

You can toss all Hoop Central tweets into the trash, they're just a aggregator-of-aggregators.

In this case it was a pretty straight c/p

https://twitter.com/chrisbhaynes/status/1539759808907284480?s=21&t=NUuWppkAoAfcvWltZF-8tw

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

???

https://twitter.com/bswest5/status/1539781891447877633?s=21&t=20eLuuUGvz1vdFfkHARz4g

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

What's the upside on the 1-7? Someone with the ceiling of a decent starter? Surely the Raptors would want far more in return for Anunoby, even if he's only a year off of UFA.

Kuminga
Killian Hayes
Coby White
Wendell Carter Jr.
Lauri Markkanen
Jamal Murray
Mudiay
Randle

Although I think you could argue high picks would be valuable to a team like Toronto that is good at developing guys

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/jakelfischer/status/1539794924136185858?s=21&t=20eLuuUGvz1vdFfkHARz4g

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Under 24 hours to go. Wishing everyone’s favorite team doesn’t gently caress things up

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Now if NBA Paint can just get banned for some reason

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Dejan Bimble posted:

Remember what i was saying, Grant was out for a couple weeks the Pistons won almost every game. That was not too far away from the trade deadline. I think that was the final nail in his asset value coffin. He’s just not a player he wishes he was. He’s a fifth guy on a good team and a third guy on a bad team

The Pistons beat guy at the Athletic said this was the best offer that’s materialized in two years but obviously he could just be carrying water

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

It’s too quiet right now

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

That’s sort of incomprehensible even for a Shams tweet

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

xbilkis posted:

I too am monitoring a situation and considering my future

This opens the door for me getting a late lunch

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

Y’all missed the best part

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1540065283028783105?s=21&t=Ib0bHR5pIL0QMk_BB1Dtsw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

surf rock posted:

why on earth

A pick