Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Algund Eenboom posted:

This is very true, with the only exceptions being section80, and also good kid maad city, and also untitled unmastered. And also none of his mixtapes. And also the warriors won a title in a year he didnt release an album, and also, they won one in the 70s, and also one in the 50s, and also one in the 40s. But hey 3 out of 7 isnt too bad. Or 3 out of 12 if you look at it the other way around

I'm fine with Kendrick albums being a necessary but not sufficient condition of Warriors' recent rings if we get more dope Kendrick albums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Cavauro posted:

how many years in a row do you think the finals will be 6 games? so far it's four years in a row. i think it will be four years in a row.

What is the most common number of games in the NBA Finals (in this format)? 6 sounds right to me, not a blowout but one team is clearly better. 4-5 makes one question what the other conference was even doing (or that the winner was inordinately dominant), while 7 feels like a special event, for the rare series that could truly have gone either way.

I don't know about 4 years in a row, but I predict of the next 5 Finals series, 3 will be decided in 6 games.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Cavauro posted:

sweep - 9
five games - 18
six games - 30
seven games - 19

mostly seems to line up with your feelings. you've got a good head on your shoulders

Thanks for the info/compliment. More game 7s than I would have guessed, but I suppose that's a good thing.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm sure there's a lot of Warriors fans who are absolute jackasses, the complete scum of the Earth. I definitely know a few. But lmao at pointing to YouTube comments as being indicative of anything other than the various mental health disorders that compel one to comment on YouTube. YouTube comments are even worse than Twitter, and about in line with other sites with the -Tube suffix.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Would have to be after Klay retires, see previous statements about going full Jordan ride-or-die with Phil Jackson.

Tangentially, FO a fool if they don't hire Iggy as an assistant with strong consideration towards being HC at some point.

Iggy is going into venture capital, if his statements on Draymond's post-Game 6 show are to be believed.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

predicto posted:

I think it’s also actually possible that one of his teenage kids had a breakdown at being moved for the third time in three years and Atkinson belatedly decided that family mattered more than taking this job. He already makes a couple million a year with the Warriors.

Yeah, this seems to me one of the likelier explanations for the reversal. Dude has a family, and isn't exactly in a bad situation in his current role.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

chilihead posted:

Quick question, let's say Las Vegas and Seattle are the two next expansion teams. Which team moves to the East?

I guess Pelicans is the easy answer. Any suggestions? Also the best joke/meme of moving KD is to make him, Westbrook and Harden go back to OKC. The league can redistribute those 34 first round picks to the Lakers,Nets,Sixers.

League saved! /s

Memphis and Minnesota are also kinda out of place in the "Western" Conference.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
Lakers is the funniest option to me, I assume it would also most likely involve sending Westbrook to Brooklyn. If Durant stays, that's two hilarious full circles. The amazing thing is both teams might still very well be first round exits at best in that scenario.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Lockback posted:

It drives me crazy. I can forgive making mistakes and being wrong about guys, but this is just totally not understanding what your team is.

Yeah, the Kings (from the outside) seem like the NBA team that least understands the sinusoidal nature of NBA success. You have to be truly, truly bad for a bit to get back on the upswing. They've been stuck in 11-seed hell for as long as I can remember.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Papes posted:

Well that’s what happens when you pass on a generational talent

Which time?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

Given how angry Italians get about food I'm surprised an Italian-American hasn't shanked him in broad daylight in NYC.

I'm not of an ethnicity which makes bones over pasta, but I stand in solidarity with them in this instance

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

i am a moron posted:

I guess Kyrie has realized he isn’t practically a co owner with KD or whatever

Why are the nets so loving weird

Kyrie is basketball Benito Mussolini

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Space Camp fuckup posted:

It really feels like it might be coming together, huh? That fat oaf Flex from Jersey said Phoenix is his preferred destination on 98.7 today. I have a feeling he’ll end up in Miami but it’s fun to dream.

KD Suns and/or Kyrie Lakers will be excellent Western heels for the Good Guys (the Golden State Warriors) to defeat.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

OzFactor posted:

Okay, so, honest question: it seems like everybody really hates Kendrick Perkins. He’s bad at his job, so we NBA fans don’t like him, and it sure feels like every active player really loving hates him. His “analysis” boils down to saying things that are either totally inconsequential or immediately ridiculed as factually incorrect. How does he retain employment at ESPN? Yes, there are tons of annoying people working at ESPN, but others at the very least try to do their homework.

My entirely unsubstantiated theory is that most sports commentary generally, especially in legacy media, is by design dumb enough that the least informed member of the audience could have a reasonable opinion on if it is "right" or "wrong." A nuanced take that involved knowledge of how certain skillsets or plays are generally effective are exclusionary to a mass audience, while everyone can have an opinion as valid as anyone else's on what is essentially basketball TMZ. The larger the audience that can join in the conversation, the greater engagement for the product.

Kendrick Perkins provides an important service, in that his commentary is so dumb that any idiot watching the program can feel like their opinions are of "expert" quality, and thus they are a well-informed fan of the game of basketball.

Also, a distressing number of people just seem to genuinely enjoy the ill-informed hot-take-artist style of commentary.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

OzFactor posted:

I just don’t understand how he gets to continue saying “I know what these guys [active NBA players] are like / are thinking” when so, so many of them directly address him to tell him to shut the gently caress up. I feel like he trades on a non-existent commodity and it baffles me.

Because it drives this very sort of engagement? "NBA Star Claps Back at Perk, Destroys Him With Facts and Logic" is a video that gets clicks. The commodity is people getting baited into interacting with him in the first place, and that interaction sells ad space.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm sad all of the bullish Ben Simmons predictions didn't pan out, including my own. Now it's time for more Kyrie drama.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Alaois posted:

*in a cartoonishly New Jersey accent*

Historically???

Being from the Bay, it's a bit of a culture shock to have some random guy come up and grab the gas hose from you at 2am, insisting it's "his" job. This happened when I was in college and I had to drive through Jersey for the first time, I thought it was a mentally unwell street person harassing me until I saw his employee badge.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

rjmccall posted:

You’ve never driven up to Oregon?

I'd been through Oregon several times at that point. I wasn't unaware of the concept, i just didn't know it applied to NJ at the time. It was fun giving kids from NJ poo poo when they tried to defend the practice though.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Algund Eenboom posted:

As a former new jersey gas station attendant, rest assured the teens you forced to listen to your spiel really appreciated it

It was me ribbing other freshmen in college lol, my roommate and best friend was one of them .

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm torn. On the one hand, people like Perk deserve negative respect, and I would be pretty mad if I were someone like Draymond or Reddick and might have to be on TV with him. On the other hand, Draymond, you fool, this is exactly what ESPN wants when they roll that corpulent moron out there.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dexo posted:

Also calling Perk a coon is like, probably a bit much lol.

But I tend to reserve that word for very specific actions.

As someone who lacks the privilege to use said word, I'm a little less well-versed in its proper application, so gave I Draymond the benefit of the doubt. This is the first time I've seen it used in the wild.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Everything about Kyrie loving SUCKS, god I hate that motherfucker

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

predicto posted:

Are we sure it was "coon" and not "goon?"

I'm pretty sure it was the former, but now I'm mad at the missed opportunity for the rhyming "goon to coon."

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
The Clippers would be such a terrifying team if they could ever be fully healthy. Alas alack

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Papes posted:

Westbrook is fine, not worth his current deal but is a a complete dogshit fit on that lakers team.

That last bit is the most consistently under-appreciated part of the Westbrook drama. His actual abilities (for what it's worth, I'm on team "still decent but overpaid") are less important than the fact that his skillset and playstyle are not good for the lakers team as currently constructed and led by Davis/James. The fact that he is still pretty good kinda exacerbates the whole thing, as it's more frustrating to watch a team that's less than the sum of its parts than a merely bad one.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

xbilkis posted:

https://twitter.com/ChrisBHaynes/status/1541977658396790786

Excited to see the wording reporters use this week to avoid going too far in implicating their sources in obvious tampering

This a serious question: what is the point of anti-tampering rules? Every season, I see plenty of articles speculating about player moves that were necessarily negotiated in advance, and the regulations seem to be more honored in the breach if anything. What harm is done that is serious enough to need rules but not serious enough to be enforced?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

TheKevman posted:

Rest your weary head my friend, the cap going up helped them out bigly :hfive:

but who really cares about such trivial things as 'money' anyways :laugh:

I am willing to spend every dollar Joe Lacob has to keep those guys. But yeah, that cap raise is very nice

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

gently caress. Can't be too mad though, he put in his dues and deserves to get the biggest bag he can. I'll always be grateful for his contributions to this year's title.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

hifi posted:

I still like d. lee as a prospect type player but the recent suns record for choosing and developing guards kinda sucks. payne regressed/sucks, shamet is still a headcase, aaron holiday didn't do anything, elfrid payton sucked, e'twaun moore sucked, tyler johnson sucked, and they shipped off guys like ty-shon alexander, elie okobo, and jalen lecque instantly. the third best guard that james jones brought in is probably langston galloway.

Damion Lee playing rotation minutes in a competitive game is not ideal for your team. That being said, that list of guards isn't terribly inspirational, so who knows? I'd be pretty surprised if he looked better/improved after leaving the Warriors (frankly, most people I know assumed he was a roster tax to keep Steph happy).

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Spacebump posted:

I’m worried the Mavs will do that. Hope they don’t sign him.

The best part of your favorite team being in cap hell: very little chance of signing Miles Bridges.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I just thought about the awkwardness of Rudy being patient zero and acting incredibly irresponsibly with Covid and KAT having all that personal trauma surrounding it.

I hope that this "storyline" doesn't get any airtime this season, for KAT's sake if nothing else.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Ammanas posted:

You mean KD right

its incredible to me that kd demanded a trade because the nets did not extend kyries stupid part timer drama idiot rear end. i wish i had a friend/coworker as loyal as kd.

KD's love for Kyrie is something to behold. It's an unbelievably funny tragic flaw.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

dokmo posted:

When he went from flat earther to anti vaxxer

Edit I seem to recall an in between period during the BLM protests when he was actually cool?

I hated this period of Kyrie, because it was after flat earth Kyrie. Like, there's dozens of other NBA players (not to mention literally anybody else) with important contributions to the conversation, and this moron who spent the last year+ fighting the ghost of Copernicus is being signal boosted?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

a new study bible! posted:

The current president of the United States sent his base of 40-90 year old people into the mouth of death during the height of a pandemic.

Nobody cares. They never did.

Getting pissy about Kyrie specifically is clearly about other issues.

It's possible to have contempt for many different people at once, in varying degrees of intensity. So long as we all keep it proportional, clowning on Kyrie for his many immensely idiotic statements can coexist alongside much more vehement condemnations of other pandemic responses/failures. Also, is it "about other issues" when I generally dislike people who spread medical misinformation on large platforms, and this description fits Kyrie? It's not all about him, he just falls into several categories of rear end in a top hat.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

Wasn't voyager digital, the newly recent shitcoin victim , touted by Mark Cuban and a bunch of other NBA players??

The crypto endorsements would be a lot more outrageous imo if we weren't also getting ads for "The official sports betting site" of various leagues. It's a gross manifestation of a larger problem, the official marriage of sports and gambling.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013
I'm not sure if KD returning to the Warriors would be an absolutely good thing, but it would be tremendous content.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

NieR Occomata posted:

Speaking as a Dubs fan, I don’t think I want KD back again since it’ll probably mean getting rid of all of our young talent (unless it’s like Kuminga and Wiseman and Looney, I don’t even want to lose JP) and then everyone will hate us again. I’m absolutely fine with running it back and in fact would prefer it; unless KD comes over for mostly cash and picks and end of the roster young dudes the Warriors aren’t really using I just don’t see the need to land him, and just don’t want to deal with the headache all loving over again.

If they can get him without completely gutting the team, I'm for it. I like the young guys, but maximizing Steph Curry's athletic prime is the most important part of winning another chip, and Durant is a move that does that.

Plus:

Aye Doc posted:

everyone's going to hate your team, KD or not

May as well have the hate be of the impotent variety with the return of the ultimate basketball team.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Ugh you just reminded me I have to root for Wilson this year

And just like Wilson, he's only annoying until you remember some of the alternatives. What's good Browns fans?

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

i am a moron posted:

Steph ruined basketball, and society, with his egregious three point shooting. the very fabric of our society is being rent apart by this obscenity, this insult to the basketball gods. one can only hope that a long two or some nasty postups will finally put an end to his reign of terror and we can be delivered from the basketball demon-child

Crying and shaking as Stephen Curry removes my ability to feel human

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dexo posted:

I would trade my sister for Kevin Durant ngl

Warriors already shipped Damion Lee out of state for a few months, light years ahead