Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.
Been a full time Linux user for 3 years now, built Arch from scratch back in 2019 and ran that until I broke it. Since I do this crap for a living now and didn't want to spend my free time setting crap up again, I moved over to a distro called Garuda which was must faster to install. Gaurda is an arch-based distro that has a ton of different window manager options: https://garudalinux.org/downloads.html so just download and install whatever wm you want.

I don't play much multi-player games but the last one that I did was Factorio with my brother and had no problems what-so-ever, everything just worked.

I've been playing a fully modded Fallout 4 lately since I still haven't ever played any of the DLC's and just wanted to add that using Steam Tinker Launcher (https://github.com/frostworx/steamtinkerlaunch) and Mod Organizer 2 just worked, which is even a stark contrast to 2 years ago when trying to get MO2 to play nicely with it cost me way too many hours.

Sampling of some of the stuff I've played in the last or so year under linux:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

Blue Waffles posted:

As someone looking to get their toes into the switch to linux as main os but like to play videogames is there a good distro for that? I try googling and get a list of distro's that have positives and negatives. Is it possible to just use ubuntu?

pop!_os is a safe bet.

fedora is fast, supported by A Big Linux Company, and typically pretty bleeding edge--great if you're barely on the nerdy side. just configure regular backups.

tumbleweed if you're german or like how KDE Plasma looks. i'm typing this message from tumbleweed right now. tumbleweed is also bleeding edge and supported by A Big Linux Company. the rollback feature is really nice for living on the bleeding edge.

i'm not in the habit of recommending arch and its derivatives to people who are new to linux. there is a lot that can go wrong and, while the docs can be really great, the quality control and security stories aren't always there. if you really wanted to go that route, though, i'd pick endeavourOS at this point.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Jun 21, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Am I the only one running Fedora Silverblue? It's not very practical for the less technical users, but I adore that everything is running inside a flatpak or a container on top of an immutable system. In fact Silverblue is closer to the SteamOS running on the Deck than anything else (both use ostree on the base system and flatpak for userspace apps)

But in general after 10 years of Arch Linux I recommend Fedora to those that want a stable yet modern looking distro, for work or gaming. And Wayland has been pretty good over here.

The direction Ubuntu is going I'm not a fan of, and it feels like all of its derivatives have to spend time and energy tearing down the user-hostile choices from Ubuntu, such as snaps.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Retrograde posted:

I've been playing a fully modded Fallout 4 lately since I still haven't ever played any of the DLC's and just wanted to add that using Steam Tinker Launcher (https://github.com/frostworx/steamtinkerlaunch) and Mod Organizer 2 just worked, which is even a stark contrast to 2 years ago when trying to get MO2 to play nicely with it cost me way too many hours.

I've actually been meaning to set this up as I recently discovered Steam Tinker Launcher, how does this just work for Fallout Script Extender (does it)?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

I ran Silverblue on my laptop for about a year but recently went back to plain Fedora after the upgrade to 36 failed because of some RPMFusion packages I had to overlay on the ostree base to get VAAPI working with my TigerLake GPU. It's a cool concept, but having to maintain a separate toolbox container for things that weren't in FlatHub was a bit cumbersome to use for the sake of architectural purity. I am tempted to give Tumbleweed a try though. It has some neat things going for it, and it's been about a decade since I last tried KDE.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

e: ^^^ Tumbleweed life is good. Give it a spin!

Lifroc posted:

Am I the only one running Fedora Silverblue? It's not very practical for the less technical users, but I adore that everything is running inside a flatpak or a container on top of an immutable system. In fact Silverblue is closer to the SteamOS running on the Deck than anything else (both use ostree on the base system and flatpak for userspace apps)

But in general after 10 years of Arch Linux I recommend Fedora to those that want a stable yet modern looking distro, for work or gaming. And Wayland has been pretty good over here.

The direction Ubuntu is going I'm not a fan of, and it feels like all of its derivatives have to spend time and energy tearing down the user-hostile choices from Ubuntu, such as snaps.

I go back and forth between Fedora and Silverblue for work. Really curious about how much tweaking if any that it needs for gaming.

For dev work, it's 90% great and 10% "oh my god why isn't my IDE talking to anything and why is the only information about my problem an 18-month-old unanswered forum post."

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Lifroc posted:

Some things just don't run well in flatpak or flatpak versions of apps flat out (hah) don't exist yet.
So for now I prefer workstation fedora with 70% of stuff flatpaked.

A few more years and silver blue will be more mature and maybe I can make the move.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jun 21, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Insanite posted:

e: ^^^ Tumbleweed life is good. Give it a spin!

I go back and forth between Fedora and Silverblue for work. Really curious about how much tweaking if any that it needs for gaming.

For dev work, it's 90% great and 10% "oh my god why isn't my IDE talking to anything and why is the only information about my problem an 18-month-old unanswered forum post."

I just install the IDE inside an Arch Linux toolbox, it's been working great for work.

Flatpak Steam works fine as well, just needs some hacking for mesa 22, but that shouldn't be a problem after August when the new freedesktop SDK is out.

I know my way around containers, if you don't you'll have an easier time with a regular distro. Gaming on Linux is already hard as it is!

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
For anyone reading distro chat and freaking out, keep in mind that it is all optional. You absolutely can just pick a distro* and just use your computer.

What is nice about Linux is IF you want to, you can swap out major parts of your operating system for alternatives, for whatever reason you like.

*Similarly, picking a distro can be daunting because there's so many recommended options, but they're recommended because they're good. So don't worry about it too much. Even if you decide you hate it you can come back here or any other Linux discussion place, explain why you hate it, and get a much better recommendation based on that.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

To get back to gaming chat, possibly a shot in the dark: has anyone tried a Thrustmaster wheel on Linux? There's an unofficial driver but I haven't tried plugging in my T300RS yet, and I'm starting to have a simracing itch I need to scratch.

I know Logitech wheels should be well supported, but Thrustmaster are a bit iffy.

Retrograde
Jan 22, 2007

Strange game-- the only winning move is not to play.

Mr. Crow posted:

I've actually been meaning to set this up as I recently discovered Steam Tinker Launcher, how does this just work for Fallout Script Extender (does it)?

Fallout Script Extender works great, I'm trying to remember how I did it but I think I downloaded the latest version and put it in the Fallout 4 folder and pointed MO2 to it once it loaded up:

(I have no idea why the Fallout 4 Icon is Skyrim but whatever, it works)

And here is how I launch the game:

I'm actually shocked how stable this game is, I can even alt-tab out and leave it in the background for hours when the screen goes to sleep and have never had a problem with it resuming.

That being said, I feel like I should mention this to anyone whom might find it in the future. I have an older asus 34inch ultrawide monitor with g-sync. I have an AMD 5700XT so I'm pretty sure g-sync does jack squat with this thing. Monitor has an "overclocked" refresh rate of 100hz. When I first installed Fallout 4 with no mods it would just randomly crash to desktop with no error. I found one person who mentioned refresh rates on Skyrim back in the day which led to me lowering the refresh rate to 60hz. Once I did that it has never crashed in that way again. Like I mentioned before, stupidly stable from them on. I don't know if It's the g-sync monitor paired with an AMD card or Gamebryo jank freaking out about 100hz or what but bumping the refresh down to 60 seems to have done the trick.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Retrograde posted:

Fallout Script Extender works great, I'm trying to remember how I did it but I think I downloaded the latest version and put it in the Fallout 4 folder and pointed MO2 to it once it loaded up:

(I have no idea why the Fallout 4 Icon is Skyrim but whatever, it works)

And here is how I launch the game:

I'm actually shocked how stable this game is, I can even alt-tab out and leave it in the background for hours when the screen goes to sleep and have never had a problem with it resuming.

That being said, I feel like I should mention this to anyone whom might find it in the future. I have an older asus 34inch ultrawide monitor with g-sync. I have an AMD 5700XT so I'm pretty sure g-sync does jack squat with this thing. Monitor has an "overclocked" refresh rate of 100hz. When I first installed Fallout 4 with no mods it would just randomly crash to desktop with no error. I found one person who mentioned refresh rates on Skyrim back in the day which led to me lowering the refresh rate to 60hz. Once I did that it has never crashed in that way again. Like I mentioned before, stupidly stable from them on. I don't know if It's the g-sync monitor paired with an AMD card or Gamebryo jank freaking out about 100hz or what but bumping the refresh down to 60 seems to have done the trick.

Looks like I'm booting this game back up :sigh:

Thanks!

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Thank you so much for making this thread.

I just made the jump fully into Linux a couple weeks ago after years of dipping my toes in. I ended up choosing Fedora because I'm super boring.

I do have one question. I was messing around with Lutris and was trying to install the GOG version of No Man's Sky. I chose the option that includes GOG Galaxy. Partway through install an error pops up saying I need wine-mono and that Lutris can install it, but recommends I install it through my distros repository. But I can't seem to find it. I tried installing wine itself thinking it might be included, but the error persisted.

I understand this is a niche problem, and if the easier thing to do is just rebuy it on Steam when the next sale comes up, I'd be fine to do that.

Otherwise, it's been clear sailing so far. I just can't believe how much stuff just works.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Installed pop os and have that in dual boot now. Decided to try the game im currently playing, Dragons Dogma. Lo and behold it worked even with my Bluetooth controller. That’s wild. Theres weird stuttering as things load into the game, kinda like elden ring. I wonder what that’s about. Last time I tried any sort of gaming on Linux was back in like 2009 and I could only figure out how to play like 3 games ive never heard of.

Then I tried Cruelty Squad next and it crashed immediately after starting. Googling didnt do much good because nobody else had my problem (and its rated gold on proton db) aside from a guy several months ago who made a post that didnt get answered. As someone who knows dick-all about Linux gaming, is there some sort of checklist of common fixes that get games to run?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Did you stick with default proton or try experimental? I often find if I have issues experimental fixes them.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

40Inch posted:

I just made the jump fully into Linux a couple weeks ago after years of dipping my toes in. I ended up choosing Fedora because I'm super boring.

I do have one question. I was messing around with Lutris and was trying to install the GOG version of No Man's Sky. I chose the option that includes GOG Galaxy. Partway through install an error pops up saying I need wine-mono and that Lutris can install it, but recommends I install it through my distros repository. But I can't seem to find it. I tried installing wine itself thinking it might be included, but the error persisted.

I understand this is a niche problem, and if the easier thing to do is just rebuy it on Steam when the next sale comes up, I'd be fine to do that.

Otherwise, it's been clear sailing so far. I just can't believe how much stuff just works.

Not sure about GOG Galaxy itself but have you tried Bottles? It provides a one-click installation to a few Windows game stores such as Epic, IIRC there's GOG in there too. And it also has an easy way of installing dependencies, in this case mono, if something still ain't working. Give it a try, it's a great app. It's like Lutris with a better GUI.

Alternatively try Heroic Launcher, it's a native Linux app that can interact with the GOG store and download stuff for you.

Both Bottles and Heroic are mentioned in the OP with links to their website.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

I have dabbled with Linux and gaming several times over the years, but I was bored yesterday and gave it another go.

I decided on EndeavourOS and installed Bottles, Heroic Launcher, Lutris and Steam.

Steam + Proton has always worked very well for me, so unsurprisingly everything went fine this time.

I used Heroic Launcher to get the Epic Game Store and GOG up and running, and installed a game from both to check.

Tony Hawk 1+2 from EGS worked fine once I switched it to use Proton and not the default Wine version. I had to do the same for Disco Elysium installed through GOG, but once I did that it also worked fine.

Audio is a big thing for me though, but that's another thread!

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Dead Goon posted:

I have dabbled with Linux and gaming several times over the years, but I was bored yesterday and gave it another go.

I decided on EndeavourOS and installed Bottles, Heroic Launcher, Lutris and Steam.

Steam + Proton has always worked very well for me, so unsurprisingly everything went fine this time.

I used Heroic Launcher to get the Epic Game Store and GOG up and running, and installed a game from both to check.

Tony Hawk 1+2 from EGS worked fine once I switched it to use Proton and not the default Wine version. I had to do the same for Disco Elysium installed through GOG, but once I did that it also worked fine.

Audio is a big thing for me though, but that's another thread!

Welcome back! Re: audio: now that pipewire is a thing, you'll find low latency and using JACK is a total breeze these days. And EasyEffects is the most underrated piece of software there is, to add persistent effects on your input or output pipelines. I use it to apply an EQ to my headphones and noise removal + deesser on my microphone. And all this works great with in-game audio (I play Squad which requires a mic)

Honestly it's incredible how good the Linux desktop has become in the past 4 or 5 years.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

It's usually recommended to keep proton to within steam games as lots of the modifications are platform specific which can cause issues outside of steam.

If you want to use it outside I recommend using wine-GE-proton which is a custom wine that's got the proton upstream benefits but without the steam stuff.

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom

They also makes a custom proton itself which I've used on occasion when proton-experimental has failed me.
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 22, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Mega Comrade posted:

It's usually recommended to keep proton to within steam games as lots of the modifications are platform specific which can cause issues outside of steam.

If you want to use it outside I recommend using wine-GE-proton which is a custom wine that's got the proton upstream benefits but without the steam stuff.

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom

They also makes a custom proton itself which I've used on occasion when proton-experimental has failed me.
https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/proton-ge-custom

Good shout. ProtonUp-QT (https://github.com/DavidoTek/ProtonUp-Qt) downloads and unpacks Proton-GE and Wine-GE for you directly into the correct directories for Steam, Bottles, Heroic, and others. It's pretty handy to have if you don't want to mess about in the command line, I'll add it to the OP.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Might be worth adding feral game mode to the op too.

https://github.com/FeralInteractive/gamemode

Once installed feels games will look for it but you can also force any game to use it, it's just a checkbox in lutris and HGL, steams a little more hassle, you need to add 'gamemode %command%' to the launch properties.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

40Inch posted:

You'll need to post the error log / shell prompt because wine-mono definitely exists so if you cant find it either sonething is incredibly wrong or you're looking in the wrong place.

https://pkgs.org/download/wine-mono

If you're trying to use the GUI package manager that could be the problem, for some reason PMs are amazing on the CLI and universally garbage on the desktop. Sometimes they work fine but frequently search fails inexplicably, they cant install the package and hide the error etc, I don't think I've ever heard of a GUI PM being rock solid like its CLI counterpart.

In general I would say pretty confidently for any distro at least try and get a basic comfortability with the terminal and your distros package manager, it'll save you a lot of grief.

Mr. Crow fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Jun 22, 2022

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Mr. Crow posted:

You'll need to post the error log / shell prompt because wine-mono definitely exists so if you cant find it either sonething is incredibly wrong or you're looking in the wrong place.

https://pkgs.org/download/wine-mono

If you're trying to use the GUI package manager that could be the problem, for some reason PMs are amazing on the CLI and universally garbage on the desktop. Sometimes they work fine but frequently search fails inexplicably, they cant install the package and hide the error etc, I don't think I've ever heard of a GUI PM being rock solid like its CLI counterpart.

In general I would say pretty confidently for any distro at least try and get a basic comfortability with the terminal and your distros package manager, it'll save you a lot of grief.

I'll have a poke at it again tonight, but fwiw I was using the terminal. There seems to be tons missing from Fedora's package manager, or it just fails randomly (Nvidia drivers installed through the PM fine on one of my PCs but not the other) so I've mostly stopped using it other than skimming reviews for issues.

I'll check out Bottles as well.

Kinda using my old rendering PC as a testbed before doing anything on my main PC, which is kind of a new situation for me; it's nice having something I don't mind messing up on.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

And sometimes they save you from doing something really stupid by just flat refusing to go full r****d:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0506yDSgU7M&t=596s

(Timestamped vid. Not a common scenario, but very funny.)

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Linux gaming is gonna be my project for the next month, I can feel it in my bones.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

40Inch posted:

I'll have a poke at it again tonight, but fwiw I was using the terminal. There seems to be tons missing from Fedora's package manager, or it just fails randomly (Nvidia drivers installed through the PM fine on one of my PCs but not the other) so I've mostly stopped using it other than skimming reviews for issues.

I'll check out Bottles as well.

Kinda using my old rendering PC as a testbed before doing anything on my main PC, which is kind of a new situation for me; it's nice having something I don't mind messing up on.

Feel free to link some logs or terminal output here. Linux dorks love logs.

Desktop Linux is in a really great place now, but not every distro has a gaming quickstart guide in its docs, yet.

DMs are open, too, if you want help walking through anything.

e: Just booted up my F36 laptop and wine-mono is definitely where it should be.

Mr. Crow posted:

This is good advice. You do not need to live in the terminal if you don't feel like it, but learning how to list packages, install packages, get proprietary drivers (depending on the distro), etc. is important for initial setup.

Insanite fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 22, 2022

Blue Waffles
Mar 18, 2008

セイバー
This is the linux I remeber, using pop!_os. spent the better of the day trying to find out why my headset on the front jacks will not appear in Alsa, pavucontrol sees them and I can change to them but will only play sound through my speakers (that are connected to the backports), if I connect the headset to the backport I get sound there but the microphone just refuses to work.

Googling seems to only turn up stuff around it being muted in Alsa, but it does not even show it there so I dunno at this point. Also a lot of posts about using pavucontroller and setting analog stereo duplex, analog stereo output. Etc, it also does not seem to ever save that my regular speakers is a 5.1 system. Not even sure what to do at this point, getting a tad brain fried, I saw just now that it shows the card as usb audio but yeah.

Nvm now I do not have sound with headset even plugged into the back.

Blue Waffles fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Jun 22, 2022

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Is PopOs using pipewire yet?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Klyith posted:

And sometimes they save you from doing something really stupid by just flat refusing to go full r****d:

If the package manager uninstalls the operating system as a result of the user asking it to install Steam, that's the package manager's fault, not the user's. Debian's package management tools are atrocious.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

Klyith posted:

What? How?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Insanite posted:

Feel free to link some logs or terminal output here. Linux dorks love logs.

It's true, I love logs.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

ColdPie posted:

If the package manager uninstalls the operating system as a result of the user asking it to install Steam, that's the package manager's fault, not the user's.

No that was objectively Linus' fault for being a spaz and reading nothing, he admits as much later in the video and/or the follow up.

quote:

Debian's package management tools are atrocious.

Oh, ok.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The output Linus barely skimmed before writing the explicit prompt that he knows what he's doing and actually means to do this stupid thing is pretty clear that 1. This is bad and 2. You probably don't want to do it.

Coming from Windows it is very easy to not read error messages because one has never been useful before, but it actually tells him exactly the problem and why it isn't letting him just do it, but he ignores that and just does it.

The problem is also real stupid, but if you look into the details it's hard to find a smooth way to handle it.

Boring technical poo poo:

I don't know the exact package/version, but essentially the problem was that the steam install required a specific version of another package, let's say package X version 1.3. The GUI for the OS also depends on this package, but "any version greater than 1.4". Asking any system to resolve this dependency is impossible when you can only have one version of a package installed, so the package manager (correctly, and with a description of the problem) refused to install steam.

Doing it from a terminal had the same result, and that's when Linus brought in the big guns of "paste a command I don't understand into the terminal and then type "Yes, do what I say" when the package manager responds "are you sure you want to do this? It looks super bad and is likely to break stuff".", with the expected result that bad poo poo happened, because he didn't read the warnings.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
It was most of all the PopOS repository's fault for having the entire GUI marked as anti-dependencies for Steam.

Apt, yay, rpm, pacman, whatever package manager would be equally bad if a repo manager makes a completely braindead mistake like that, and a newbie user follows through on it. All commandline package managers will let you uninstall half your OS if you really want to.

But really, the question is how that fuckup found its way into the repo system, and why a repo manager doesn't have some simple sanity checks so if some automated system suddenly adds 500 new dependencies or conflicts or non-requirements, a human has to look at it.

edit: also Linus probably followed through on typing "yes, I do want to delete my PC please" into the command line because he's making a video for youtube and it's dramatic content. the dude very likely read the dire warning and intentionally played dumb.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jun 22, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I’m on 27” 4K monitor and Wayland has improved massively in the last 2 years, however playing games with desktop scaling set to 200%, I can only choose 1080p as the maximum resolution because of forced Xwayland scaling. Anybody knows whether this is going to be fixed anytime soon? Literally the last thing preventing me from using Linux full time.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.
He is also on a fresh install from just an hour ago. If there is a time to try dumb looking things with your package manager it is then.

The real dumb thing is that pop_os, which is advertised as either noob and/or gamer friendly can't install steam. It should even come installed by default, let alone being obviously untested.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
I didn't watch the video but pop!_os does come with steam installed, or at least made it so easy I don't remember installing it myself. It might have been a checkbox during os install?

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

It suggests/installs the flatpak version of Steam which sidesteps that whole issue I think?

e: nm I checked and my desktop has the deb package installed which I haven't touched since my initial OS install so yeah, just a real lovely fluke from the PopOS repo at the time any way you slice it.

thewizardofshoe fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 22, 2022

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Mega Comrade posted:

Is PopOs using pipewire yet?

Yeah they changed to it on the 22.04 lts release in April.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Splode posted:

I didn't watch the video but pop!_os does come with steam installed, or at least made it so easy I don't remember installing it myself. It might have been a checkbox during os install?

The vid is half a year old, but also obviously pop_os had something super hosed up with steam at the time. Could be steam was pre-installed and the popshop did that anyways.

I don't think it's a major knock against pop -- they hosed up, it was probably only 1 or 2 days, and linus just happened to catch it.