Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tev
Aug 13, 2008
I switched over to Ubuntu full time earlier this year, everything has worked surprisingly smoothly. Drivers for my 3070 and PS5 controller over Bluetooth worked right from install, didn't even have to hunt anything down. Proton seems pretty incredible, I had to turn it on for Rocket League and I think it might be working on some of my other games but it's so seamless I'm not even sure.

Thanks for starting this thread op

e: I love logs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

lordfrikk posted:

I’m on 27” 4K monitor and Wayland has improved massively in the last 2 years, however playing games with desktop scaling set to 200%, I can only choose 1080p as the maximum resolution because of forced Xwayland scaling. Anybody knows whether this is going to be fixed anytime soon? Literally the last thing preventing me from using Linux full time.

I have the exact same setup, dual 4K at 2x scaling on Wayland and never had any issue, most games support 3840x2160. Probably you're trying to play some old game that isn't DPI aware?

You might want to give gamescope a try, it's made to deal with resolution and scaling issues in older games.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

thewizardofshoe posted:

Yeah they changed to it on the 22.04 lts release in April.

This directly caused me some fun, as I had manually installed it myself in the previous version. The updater was not happy with me.

gently caress pulse audio is garbage, pipewire fixed my one really big gripe with my Linux experience.

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019

Klyith posted:

PopOS or Mint are definitely better than Ubuntu -- Ubuntu has gone off the deep end on this new app packaging called Snap, which puts all apps inside a container. It's good for some things but the way Ubuntu is doing everything as snaps is dumb as hell and means your browser takes 3-15 seconds to start up.

Is that why it's taking Firefox forever to start up on my RPI4?!?!?! Wow, had no idea it had anything to do with Snap. This bothered me to no end. I'll have to see what other options I have for RPI4's... currently it's only running a custom UO server via mono. I'm only using mono and crontab to keep it going, so I'm sure there are a ton of options. Options that don't throttle the startup speed of my browser with their package management system...

This makes me think of puppy linux again, and I think I need to go look that up and see if it's still a thing. I enjoyed messing with that system and even did some game development on it for a while.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Tried Elden Ring and wouldnt you know it, also works on Pop OS without any problems. Because Steam Deck runs linux of some sort, does that mean that games made to be compatible with it are thus compatible with Linux and for everyone?

I tried installing custom themes and that crashed and burned hard. I think I need Linux experience period. Since this is based off Ubuntu, should I just find a Ubuntu for Dummies guide and go from there? anything command prompt scares my raised-on-WinXP brain, but I would like to get to learn it more.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
I'm having a funny experience with Xbox one X controller mapping. Both USB and Bluetooth is all messed up and the right stick only registers input in one direction which is reports in a different direction. An 8bitdo pad in both bt and USB in xinout mode works fine. Running the latest Linux Mint image.

Is this a common problem?

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Aware posted:

I'm having a funny experience with Xbox one X controller mapping. Both USB and Bluetooth is all messed up and the right stick only registers input in one direction which is reports in a different direction. An 8bitdo pad in both bt and USB in xinout mode works fine. Running the latest Linux Mint image.

Is this a common problem?

I use an xbox one x controller and USB has worked flawlessly from the get go as the drivers for it are in the kernel. I have heard that bluetooth can be a problem if the firmware is out of date on the controller it self. Sadly the only way to update it is via Windows 10/11. But even so that shouldn't matter for usb connection.

Do you have any extra things installed like xpad, xpadneo or xow?

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 10:13 on Jun 23, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

buglord posted:

Tried Elden Ring and wouldnt you know it, also works on Pop OS without any problems. Because Steam Deck runs linux of some sort, does that mean that games made to be compatible with it are thus compatible with Linux and for everyone?

The list of games that runs on the Deck are a subset of the games that run of Linux. The Deck has stringent rules because of the screen and its controls, so there's plenty games that are perfectly fine on Linux but aren't a great experience on the Deck.

When in doubt, check ProtonDB.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

I use an xbox one x controller and USB has worked flawlessly from the get go as the drivers for it are in the kernel. I have heard that bluetooth can be a problem if the firmware is out of date on the controller it self. Sadly the only way to update it is via Windows 10/11. But even so that shouldn't matter for usb connection.

Do you have any extra things installed like xpad, xpadneo or xow?

Nope this is a clean install today as I thought I'd go back to Linux and setup a VM for windows with my old 970 just to play pubg now and then.

I'll troubleshoot using it via USB first, I remember it working fine last year when I dabbled with this last.

Planning to document my vfio on mint journey if anyone's interested. So far I've identified the groups I'm going to pass through and started planning my config. This is an X570/5900X/32gb with a 3080 for Linux gaming and a 970 for passthrough. I haven't decided whether to grab a second cheap low capacity nvme for passthrough or not yet, will likely start with virtio from my main nvme to start with which has worked fine enough for me in the past.

Aware fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Jun 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

Kiiinda. In the case of Elden Ring it's all Valve (& volunteers) doing the work, and that makes it work for other linux flavors -- in steam. But as a counter-example: Hades is Steam Deck verified and has perfect support. But I own in through EGS. This means that I still have to fiddle around with making it work myself.

The steam deck being a big success is definitely gonna increase the attention that game devs pay to this stuff though. Maybe not enough to make native ports for every game, but probably enough to pay attention to proton and fix problems.

buglord posted:

I tried installing custom themes and that crashed and burned hard. I think I need Linux experience period. Since this is based off Ubuntu, should I just find a Ubuntu for Dummies guide and go from there?

Customization like themes, window chrome, widgets, mouse cursors, etc etc is all part of your desktop environment.

Some desktop environments are GNOME, KDE, XFCE, Cinnamon, and many others. Seriously there's dozens of them. The DE generally comes with your distro, but many distros offer more than one. (If you know what you are doing, it's possible to change your DE without reinstalling the whole OS, though that's advanced linuxing.)

Now, pop_os uses Gnome, while the default Ubuntu DE is Cinnamon. So this means that despite pop being based on Ubuntu, a guide for themes will be different. One of the downsides of base Gnome is that it doesn't have a user-friendly theme grabber integrated into the control panels. One thing you could try is getting the pling store app, as that should automatically download and put themes in the right location for you. (Haven't used it myself though.)

For looking on the internet, you want to be googling things like "install gnome theme".

buglord posted:

anything command prompt scares my raised-on-WinXP brain, but I would like to get to learn it more.

If you stick with linux this will definitely be a thing! I'd recommend making some notes on things you do, both to help learn the commands and to have a record of what worked.

For ex, I'm figuring out how to do my backups with rsync. Rsync has a man page that's a mile long. So I have a rsync text where I'm writing the flags that matter to me & various examples. (But I'm an 80s kid raised on DOS and used command line stuff in modern windows, so I'm starting from a much different place.)

Aware posted:

I haven't decided whether to grab a second cheap low capacity nvme for passthrough or not yet, will likely start with virtio from my main nvme to start with which has worked fine enough for me in the past.

Until DirectStorage becomes a thing that matters, this seems pretty unnecessary.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Ok I got my Windows 11 VM setup with the 970 passed through and 6 cores/12 threads and 16gb of RAm. Fairly happy with the setup, currently just letting it take over my mouse and keyboard when it boots because I'm only running it to play one specific game and then it releases it when it shuts down.

Didn't write much down but also didn't really run into any issues. Seems quite good performance so far, happy with the fps I'm getting out of this old card. Everything else I play runs fine via Steam/proton.

Aware fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 23, 2022

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Just read about looking glass, that seems quite cool. Anyone tried it out?

https://looking-glass.io

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Have any of y'all had success with League Of Legends? I play it with my kids and it's the only game that has kept me booting into windows; the other stuff we play runs fine on Linux.

It worked fairly well when I tried several years ago but I think something changed since then and my last attempt was frustrating

/r/leagueoflinux has what looks like a good guide but I haven't dove in yet

Blue Waffles
Mar 18, 2008

セイバー
Welp tried several remedies, reinstall fresh and so on. No sound for headset. Not sure what else to do at this point. Seems my options are to dual boot into windows when i need to use headset. A tad cumbersome. I tried some other distros just to see but almamixer or whatever it's name is did not detect the headset nor microphone even if the sound manager saw it when I plugged it in and out.

It also returned the soundcard as generic USB while the command i have already forgotten said it were Intel tiger something. Pipewire nor pulse did anything. Not sure if I can do anything with pipewire as it does not seem to have any thing i can fiddle with unless i want to do Lua stuff.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

isaboo posted:

Have any of y'all had success with League Of Legends? I play it with my kids and it's the only game that has kept me booting into windows; the other stuff we play runs fine on Linux.

It worked fairly well when I tried several years ago but I think something changed since then and my last attempt was frustrating

Have you tried it and had problems recently?

Willing to give it a spin on TW if not, as it's free.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
I tried probably 6 months ago and the client / lobby kept crashing as soon as a match was about to begin. I don't remember what, if anything, I found in the logs. I was using stock Wine, not Proton or Lutris

I've got a new video card since then - GTX 1650 - so maybe it will work better.

But heck yeah, if you wanna try it I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. I'm using Arch but I'm not opposed to trying Tumbleweed or something else

also,

Games › Linux Gaming Megathread: We love logs

isaboo fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Jun 23, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Given that there are specific versions of proton for LoL, and that riot has their own custom anti-cheat kernel driver, I'd expect LoL (and Valorant) to be a continual pain in the rear end on Linux. Very much a dual boot situation (or VM if you wanna invest in more hardware).

Blue Waffles posted:

It also returned the soundcard as generic USB while the command i have already forgotten said it were Intel tiger something.

What sound card do you actually have? Is this a real soundcard or mobo integrated sound?

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

isaboo posted:

I tried probably 6 months ago and the client / lobby kept crashing as soon as a match was about to begin. I don't remember what, if anything, I found in the logs. I was using stock Wine, not Proton or Lutris

I've got a new video card since then - GTX 1650 - so maybe it will work better.

But heck yeah, if you wanna try it I'd be interested in hearing how it goes. I'm using Arch but I'm not opposed to trying Tumbleweed or something else

also,

Games › Linux Gaming Megathread: We love logs

Definitely give Lutris a shot before getting too worried. It does most of the heavy lifting for you.

Might give LoL a shot this evening, depending on how work goes.

Klyith posted:

Given that there are specific versions of proton for LoL, and that riot has their own custom anti-cheat kernel driver, I'd expect LoL (and Valorant) to be a continual pain in the rear end on Linux. Very much a dual boot situation (or VM if you wanna invest in more hardware).

This is true. Even if it works right now, it's likely a brittle state. If you want drama-free LoL (or any multiplayer game where Linux support isn't at least tolerated), might be best to dual boot, VM, etc.

When I encounter games like that, well, I'm enough of An Ideological Linux Guy to just find something else, but I wouldn't put Linux purity ahead of parent-child activities. :)

Insanite fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Jun 23, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

New Proton Experimental is out. An excerpt from the changelog:

quote:

Now playable: Karmaflow The Rock Opera Videogame - Act I & Act II, One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4, Atelier Meruru,The Rising of the Shield Hero: Relive The Animation, Paladins.
Fix Tekken 7 crashing at launch.
Improve video playback for many games that previously required targeted hacks.
Fix video playback in: POSTAL: Brain Damaged, Turbo Overkill, Slayers X Demo.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog

I'm more interested about this video playback fix: during the demo week I tried plenty of games that wouldn't play their intro video (it showed a video test screen animation), and when trying with Proton-GE the video was all distorted with a weird tint of yellow instead. Not sure what was that all about, but perhaps this version of Experimental fixes it.

Blue Waffles
Mar 18, 2008

セイバー

Klyith posted:

What sound card do you actually have? Is this a real soundcard or mobo integrated sound?

It is a onboard sound card. It was mostly just something I saw as strange when googling and most other posts with similar issues had names in audio manager while i did not. It most likely have nothing to do with my issue. Just started banging my head against the wall as nothing seemed to work. In the end i think there is not much i can do if it does not show up in almamixer i think it was called. Seemed the most common thing were that was muted there.

For me the issue is that changing input to headset still plays the sound through my speakers. The microphone does not work as well.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Lifroc posted:

New Proton Experimental is out. An excerpt from the changelog:

https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Changelog

I'm more interested about this video playback fix: during the demo week I tried plenty of games that wouldn't play their intro video (it showed a video test screen animation), and when trying with Proton-GE the video was all distorted with a weird tint of yellow instead. Not sure what was that all about, but perhaps this version of Experimental fixes it.

Yeah, that fix is aimed at that purple/yellow/green garbled video. The test pattern is a separate issue.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

BTW, just got Total War: Warhammer 2 from the sale, it's a Linux native game but it's got crossplay disabled and you can only play against Linux users. loving LOL.

This reinforces my opinion that Proton is often better than Native in many cases. And this port has been done by the beloved porting company Feral, and they managed to cripple it.

I should add a "Common Troubleshooting" section to the OP and tell people to try Proton if the Native version is a bit weird. Might help somebody.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
As a Linux baby I’m all for help guides 👶

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
So Bottles seems... um, not a great option for "play lots of games" style gaming?

Like, it is incredibly thorough. But also, holy poo poo I hope you either dedicated to a few games in particular or have infinity disk space. Because any time you need a new bottle for a different game with different compatibility, that's another virtual C drive & environment, plus a copy of the store's launcher. Plus bottles is keeping it's own independent copies of all the compatibility stuff (wine, proton, etc).

So like if you do 1 game at a time that's whatever. Or if you had some particular game that is super picky about compatibility, so you want to maintain an exact combo of version X wine, version Y proton, and version Z dxvk plus the fake-windows environment to support it, you can have that bottle and keep it perfect.

But otherwise it seems questionable for maintaining a big game library.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

Lutris does the "each game gets its own fake C: drive folder" thing as well, but I don't think it actually uses a significant amount of disk space compared to the tens of gigabytes that modern games usually take by themselves. It's not like it's a full Windows install, it's just a bunch of libraries.

Incidentally, I tried Bottles and it feels more like a general-purpose emulation management stuff. I much prefer Lutris as it's focused on gaming, the UI is designed around it, and you can use it for your whole library - native, emulated, launchers, whatever.

e: Now that I think about it, you can probably save some disk space by simply using the same "Wine prefix" (= path to sandbox folder) to multiple games which you know are going to play well with each other. But I absolutely don't think it's worth it, even on a SSD, unless you have like a huge collection of small indie/vintage games.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Jun 23, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Klyith posted:

Like, it is incredibly thorough. But also, holy poo poo I hope you either dedicated to a few games in particular or have infinity disk space. Because any time you need a new bottle for a different game with different compatibility, that's another virtual C drive & environment, plus a copy of the store's launcher. Plus bottles is keeping it's own independent copies of all the compatibility stuff (wine, proton, etc).

Why do you need a separate Wine environment/bottle per game? I usually have a single "Gaming" bottle and one for Work, that's enough for me. Some games might require more dependencies than others, but the general settings are pretty much identical. DXVK, VKD3D and the latest Wine runtime.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Lifroc posted:

Why do you need a separate Wine environment/bottle per game? I usually have a single "Gaming" bottle and one for Work, that's enough for me. Some games might require more dependencies than others, but the general settings are pretty much identical. DXVK, VKD3D and the latest Wine runtime.

I mean that's how the project says to do it -- rather than twiddle settings if you have compatibility problems, have multiple bottles with their own settings.

NihilCredo posted:

Lutris does the "each game gets its own fake C: drive folder" thing as well, but I don't think it actually uses a significant amount of disk space compared to the tens of gigabytes that modern games usually take by themselves. It's not like it's a full Windows install, it's just a bunch of libraries.

Well a fresh bottle with nothing but EGS installed was 2 GB. More than half of that was EGS, but still! Then after I launched EGS via bottles I minimized it to open up keepass, and it wouldn't come back. EGS still running but window non-existent. So I ditched it.

I dunno it just kinda offends me. If lutris does the same that's gonna be kinda annoying. I tend to keep a lot of small games around. Maybe I'll try heroic game launcher and see how that works.

But also I am super new to all the windows-emulation stuff for games on linux! I've had linux around a bunch over the years, dual boots and WSL stuff, but I never even tried doing games because until recently it just wasn't worth it. Now maybe it's good enough that I don't need my plan of VM + looking glass. More SSD space is definitely cheaper than a 2nd GPU.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

I find Lutris to be more annoying than Bottles personally, I have issues with how it lists games in your library cause it's duplicated and ghosted a lot of stuff for me in the past. I only use Bottles for battle.net games ATM and it handles them well fwiw, Lutris did not at all. Just use one Bottle for everything until you find you NEED more than one for different settings imo.

But they're different projects with slightly different purposes. You may find Lutris fits your needs better.

thewizardofshoe
Feb 24, 2013

Also I've used Heroic Games Launcher on the Deck and it works for EGS and GOG stuff like a champ. Would definitely recommend it for those launchers specifically. Haven't run it on my desktop yet but I can't imagine it won't handle things well based on my experience with it.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

NihilCredo posted:

Lutris does the "each game gets its own fake C: drive folder" thing as well

Follow up:
So I'm not sure what Lutris by default, because this evening I tried to use the automatic "scan for games" thing on several different game installs and it couldn't auto-import any of them. (including win-Hades and the linux-native version of KSP, if you can't detect that wft)

Buuuut when manually adding or configuring a game the field "Wine Prefix" in Game Options is where you target a wine sandbox / fake C drive thing. So you can use the same ~/.wine folder the root system's wine uses and stack everything together. Whether that will cause problems is beyond my knowledge. I'm sure it would if you installed a program that messed with the sandbox too much.

(I would actually consider the Bottles way of isolating things to be vastly superior *if* they were doing something clever to make it not bloat the gently caress out of the storage. Like, have a common base and then layer each bottle's changes on top of it. That would give you sandboxing plus efficiency, best of both worlds. That would impress me.)

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

isaboo posted:

Yeah I've been playing league exclusively on Linux for almost a year. Works really well.

Install it through lutris and follow the steps (the installer hangs and you have to wait it out, but it does work) and then make sure you are using latest lol specific wine. I think they just come in lutris these days, but glorious egg roll again is the guy who makes them, if the game stops working check his releases to see if there is a new one with 'lol' on the end. You can just download it and drop it into lutris wine version folder. (or you can just use the installer in the OP and they should appear in the wine selector)

https://github.com/GloriousEggroll/wine-ge-custom/releases

For importing runes etc most Windows ones don't work even with wine so try champr
https://github.com/cangzhang/champ-r

isaboo posted:

That's the anticheat. If you install in lutris at every game boot it asks you to change a single flag (abi.vsyscall32 = 0) that prevents being kicked . Not having that flag set is probably what was getting you picked up by the anti cheat.
You can set it to permanently change it, but it can slow down some 32 bit applications, so I leave it to just prompt me every time i load up the game and then its gone on reboot.

Mega Comrade fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Jun 24, 2022

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Klyith posted:

I mean that's how the project says to do it -- rather than twiddle settings if you have compatibility problems, have multiple bottles with their own settings.

Have a single bottle for gaming. If like the other poster you need to install something like LoL that requires extensive tweaking and works only in a very controlled environment, having it on a separate bottle is a good idea.

If you need to run "normal" games that do not require weird settings, just a working Windows setup, just put them in a single bottle. Install all your game stores there, and you're good to go. No need to go crazy with isolation IMO.

EDIT: if you mainly need to play from GoG and EGS, I recommend using Heroic. I use Bottles for those games that are not in any game store, like itch.io indies and random stuff I find on the internet. Usually my process is this:

Is it on Steam -> download it on Steam
Is it on GoG or EGS -> download it on Heroic
Is there a working native version? -> play the native version
If all else fails -> stick it in a Bottle

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Jun 24, 2022

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Lifroc posted:

I have the exact same setup, dual 4K at 2x scaling on Wayland and never had any issue, most games support 3840x2160. Probably you're trying to play some old game that isn't DPI aware?

You might want to give gamescope a try, it's made to deal with resolution and scaling issues in older games.

Are you on KDE? I think Gnome doesn't have this issue (while having some others, though maybe my info is out of date).

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Is there a decent way to get GoG cloud saves working? I think that's what I miss the most. Every game sticks saves in different places so it's a big pain to manage.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

lordfrikk posted:

Are you on KDE? I think Gnome doesn't have this issue (while having some others, though maybe my info is out of date).

Nope, on GNOME. Yeah, Wayland on KDE is a little buggy still.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

VorpalFish posted:

Is there a decent way to get GoG cloud saves working? I think that's what I miss the most. Every game sticks saves in different places so it's a big pain to manage.

I don't use GOG a lot, but googling looks like GOG Galaxy is the one doing cloud saves. If you're not using that client, you're out of luck. https://docs.gog.com/gc-cloud-saves/

On Steam it's different because its the developers using the Steam API that implement cloud saving, and you can't run a Steam game outside of Steam, but with GOG it's the Galaxy client that magically copies your save files to the cloud.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

The Deck's performance with Proton has me very interested in going back to a Unix desktop again. Ironically switched to an Nvidia card after a decade of being on a couple of AMD cards, but it seems like performance is good enough?

How is rw NTFS support? Good enough in stability and performance to leave games on a Windows 10 managed partition?

I saw that Paragon has a 3rd part NTFS in-kernel implementation that was merged into mainline a couple years ago. But then saw an article about it being subsequently abandoned by them: Phoronix. Here's the lmkl thread.

Are any of you folks gaming with NTFS as your main game install filesystem?

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Secure boot seems like it will be a problem because of the proprietary NVidia drivers. Found this workaround for anyone who is blocked by this, but it'll require re-signing each time you update which is going to be painfulish: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fedora/comments/pwvj70/ubuntu_vs_fedora_with_secure_boot_and_nvidia/hekhlis/

I don't want to disable secure boot because Windows will continue to be on the box and I want the flexibility to dual boot for a while. I'd be OK disabling secure boot for Linux, but not Windows.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

v1ld posted:

The Deck's performance with Proton has me very interested in going back to a Unix desktop again. Ironically switched to an Nvidia card after a decade of being on a couple of AMD cards, but it seems like performance is good enough?

Performance isn't the issue. Its fighting the drivers. I can only come to the conclusion that Nvidia have actual contempt for the Linux community.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

v1ld posted:

Ironically switched to an Nvidia card after a decade of being on a couple of AMD cards, but it seems like performance is good enough?

Nvidia's performance is fine enough, particularly for gaming. Nvidia's vulkan performance in linux is a big jump over their never-quite-optimized opengl, so everything using DXVK is good. It's the system maintenance that's still the problem.

v1ld posted:

How is rw NTFS support? Good enough in stability and performance to leave games on a Windows 10 managed partition?

I saw that Paragon has a 3rd part NTFS in-kernel implementation that was merged into mainline a couple years ago. But then saw an article about it being subsequently abandoned by them: Phoronix. Here's the lmkl thread.

NFTS-3g (the standard r/w driver) is slow, but I don't know how much it'll matter for many games. The worst performance is with small files. There are some games that have zillions of small files (KSP for example), but it's not common (because it's bat for performance on any OS).

Paragon going dark had later, less dramatic follow-ups -- they aren't abandoning it. They just were waiting on full kernel.org access and vacations.

I don't think I'd keep using NTFS long-term for my game installs if you do convert to linux primary.

v1ld posted:

I don't want to disable secure boot because Windows will continue to be on the box and I want the flexibility to dual boot for a while. I'd be OK disabling secure boot for Linux, but not Windows.

If you turn off secure boot, windows will continue to work just fine. (However, if you use bitlocker full-drive encryption, make sure you have the recovery key saved, as changing the secure boot setting can trigger things to not auto-unlock.)

The secureboot "requirement" for 11 is kinda hooey.