Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Mega Comrade posted:

Performance isn't the issue. Its fighting the drivers. I can only come to the conclusion that Nvidia have actual contempt for the Linux community.

I'm kinda annoyed I switched to a NVidia 30xx card before I got the Deck, though I was very happy to get hold of it at the time and it's a fine piece of hardware. But it's going to be the fly in the Linux desktop ointment, that's clear. An AMD 6-series card would have done just as well, though those were unavailable too at the time of my purchase which only happened thanks to a very kind goon. Oh well, didn't think I'd be looking at Linux as the main desktop again at the time.

I looked at vfio a few times over the past few years, but wasn't aware of how far the compatibility approach had come until I played with the Deck.

Klyith posted:

The secureboot "requirement" for 11 is kinda hooey.

I actually want it to protect Windows itself, I'm still on 10. I mod games and that involves enough strange code and patchers and whatever that I like maxing out Win 10's security/isolation features, including VBS and secure boot - such as they are.

Thanks for the other detailed responses, appreciate it as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

For what it's worth I'm running fedora 36 and Nvidia drivers with secure boot and it seems fine? Used this as a guide to set it up. Also have grub encrypted but don't know if that will play nice with dual boot.

https://blog.monosoul.dev/2022/05/17/automatically-sign-nvidia-kernel-module-in-fedora-36/

Happy Litterbox
Jan 2, 2010
I switched to Fedora 36 a few weeks ago and I'm super impressed how well everything works thus far. Had a few hiccups like writing invalid entries to fstab and Windows Updates deleting my bootloader but gaming wise everything just works.

Storing and starting games from your NTFS partition is hit or miss. With some games like Paradox games I had luck most others simply won't lunch. Also write performance is godawful, so add a few extra hours if you are downloading a game to your NTFS partition.

I did go the other way around and made a btrfs partition for steam games and made that one to Windows available as there is a working driver. Haven't tried much from inside Windows with that one yet.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

For what it's worth I'm running fedora 36 and Nvidia drivers with secure boot and it seems fine? Used this as a guide to set it up. Also have grub encrypted but don't know if that will play nice with dual boot.

https://blog.monosoul.dev/2022/05/17/automatically-sign-nvidia-kernel-module-in-fedora-36/

Interesting, thanks. Found more on how that's been done here and here.

I was eyeing Pop!_os which bafflingly doesn't have the auto-sign feature though Ubuntu does.

Been away from Linux for so long that akmods is a new mechanism to me - but it looks like I could roll something using the same scripts for myself if I needed to.

Happy Litterbox posted:

I switched to Fedora 36 a few weeks ago and I'm super impressed how well everything works thus far. Had a few hiccups like writing invalid entries to fstab and Windows Updates deleting my bootloader but gaming wise everything just works.

Storing and starting games from your NTFS partition is hit or miss. With some games like Paradox games I had luck most others simply won't lunch. Also write performance is godawful, so add a few extra hours if you are downloading a game to your NTFS partition.

I did go the other way around and made a btrfs partition for steam games and made that one to Windows available as there is a working driver. Haven't tried much from inside Windows with that one yet.

That's good to know too - btrfs mounts from Windows.

I used to run Fedora last I ran a Linux desktop, should look at that some more. Frequency of hardware support updates is probably the most important feature which is why I was eyeing popos.

E: Tumbleweed also supports secure boot and signed NVidia drivers out of the box it seems: https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:NVIDIA_drivers#Secureboot

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 24, 2022

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

I used Nvidia exclusively for more than a decade. It's perfectly fine. These days AMD is good, too, better in some small ways, but not enough to be worth switching hardware IMO.

Strong not-recommend for NTFS.

Aware
Nov 18, 2003
Yeah I haven't had too many problems with NVIDIA. Mostly I just settle on one working (for me) set of drivers and leave it alone. Including vfio use. Took about an hour to get a working windows VM with passthrough running the other day.

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
This thread inspired me to install Linux and give it a shot as my daily driver. I went with Pop_os and while it was a bit of a pain to get set up, I really like it now that everything is set how I want it. I really like how much more control I have over the OS than I did with windows. It has taken a bit of work to get here but actually having the ability to make the changes I want to my OS is really nice.

As for games, everything I've thrown at it so far has worked really well. I'm really surprised that even FFXIV has run really well minus the launcher which is a bit finicky.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Tried out both Fedora 36 and Pop!_os 22.04. Going to stick with the latter for a little bit because pop shell's tiling is very well done and it's nice to have by default. Pop's having NVidia drivers and tooling available is neat too. But Fedora is just as nice and pop shell is available for it as are all the other tiling window managers - may go back to it if I want to continue dual booting and want easy secure boot compat.

Elden Ring launched and ran fine in both distros but couldn't get the controller to work in game in either distro though it worked fine to control Steam in Big Picture mode. This turns out to be a recurring problem with myriad possible sources per all the other complaints out there. In my case it's because Steam's controller Desktop Configuration turns out to be empty on Linux and for some reason Elden Ring seems to read the config for in-game controller bindings from there. :shrug: Before looking at the per-game config maybe? :shrug:

Here's the quote from protonDB that helped me: "Before you launch the game if you're using any gamepad, first go to steam settings and then under the controller tab click 'desktop configuration.' Then under controller templates click 'gamepad.' If you don't do this your gamepad will not function when launching the game."

Other than that, things just worked. I'm very very impressed with how easily I had an OS install with Steam and then Elden Ring running.

Going to stick with Linux as the daily driver for a bit. Most of my work day is spent in Zoom and Citrix these days so that's not hard at all. Feels very nice to be back in a Unix desktop again so thanks, thread and Lifroc.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

v1ld posted:

How is rw NTFS support? Good enough in stability and performance to leave games on a Windows 10 managed partition?

Do NOT keep your games in your NTFS partition. Read-write support is alright, though not as fast as it should be until ntfs3 stops looking so unmaintained after being merged.

The issue is that none of the Windows-native filesystems (FAT, exFAT, NTFS) support POSIX attributes and other things we tend to use on Linux. Stuff that should run on Linux needs its own Linux partition. These days BTRFS is a good default choice.

What you can do is copy the game files over from NTFS to Linux when you have Steam running, and if you install the games Steam will discover that everything is already on the disk and will just download if anything's missing.

v1ld posted:

Elden Ring launched and ran fine in both distros but couldn't get the controller to work in game in either distro though it worked fine to control Steam in Big Picture mode. This turns out to be a recurring problem with myriad possible sources per all the other complaints out there. In my case it's because Steam's controller Desktop Configuration turns out to be empty on Linux and for some reason Elden Ring seems to read the config for in-game controller bindings from there. :shrug: Before looking at the per-game config maybe? :shrug:

That's Elden Ring having shoddy programming, and they use Steam Input to boot. It's the only game I had to apply that workaround to, everything else works out-of-the-box with my DS4.

Happy Litterbox posted:

Fedora rocks, and I'm surprised you had an invalid fstab or a broken bootloader. Neither of those things ever happened to me.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Jun 25, 2022

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Sounds like I should give Fedora a shot, it's been a while.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

SCheeseman posted:

Sounds like I should give Fedora a shot, it's been a while.

Be prepare to deal with the worst installer the world has ever seen (though graphical), but past that it's the best distro I've used since I bought SuSE something in 1999. It's certainly pretty stable, and they keep very up to date so it's great for gaming. IMHO Fedora nowadays is what Ubuntu used to be a decade ago.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!

Lifroc posted:

Nope, on GNOME. Yeah, Wayland on KDE is a little buggy still.

Right, that would explain it. Maybe I should give Gnome another look.

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019
There's been some talk on Dual Booting versus Virtualization.

What's the standard on trying something like popOS in VM? What are people using these days to run VM's?

Or has dual booting changed significantly in the last 10 years to be not so much of a hassle anymore?

I just built a new rig and I've got multiple drive options (1 m2, and 2 nvme with one extra m2 slot still open) and I'm wondering if buying up another m2 drive to have a linux OS on it would be worth it.

Much of my previous linux experience was on Live CD's or things like puppy linux which lives in your RAM, so I didn't have to make any major changes to my setup.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!
Dual boot is very easy if using different drives. Worst case scenario windows kills grub to which you just boot into a USB and reinstall it. That's only happened once in 4 years for me though.

Just do Windows first, then Linux
The other way around can be a pain.

(atleast this has been my experience with Windows 10, I don't know if Windows 11 changed things)

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fistmaker posted:

There's been some talk on Dual Booting versus Virtualization.

What's the standard on trying something like popOS in VM? What are people using these days to run VM's?

Most of the virtualizaion talk is the other way around: a windows VM inside linux as a way to play games. This is doable and very cool, but also a power nerd type thing that I would not recommend for a new / casual user.

If you are on Windows looking to try linux, Hyper-V is built in to 10 & 11 Pro. Ubuntu is even a built-in option in the "quick create" menu, you can have that running in like 3 clicks. Installing some other distro from an iso is not much harder.

If you just want to learn more about linux this is one way to go. You can probably even bring a lot of your customizations with you to a full linux install, should you choose to go that way eventually, by exporting the home directory.

Fistmaker posted:

Or has dual booting changed significantly in the last 10 years to be not so much of a hassle anymore?

Dual booting is slightly less hassle than it used to be: plenty of apps save their state when you close them, and the boot cycle of both windows and linux is so fast these days that it's like 15-20 seconds to reboot. IMO the main hassle of dual-boot was always closing down all your work to switch.

I've done dual-boots on and off for a long time, and for me the problem with dual boot was always that I'd eventually fall back to just running Windows. Any hassle at all was too much.

edit: you don't need 2 drives to dual-boot, but it does make setup easier, and also really easy to revert to plain windows
Setting up a dual boot on 2 drives in a UEFI system = install linux to 2nd drive, reboot to BIOS, set the linux/grub EFI as 1st boot option. Linux won't need to touch the windows drive at all.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 25, 2022

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak
For my dual boot setup, I simply removed the drive I didn't want the OS on during each installation. I ended up using Refind to select which OS I want on boot. It's very easy to setup and use, but I did sacrifice some boot up speed with this approach.

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019

Klyith posted:

Most of the virtualizaion talk is the other way around: a windows VM inside linux as a way to play games. This is doable and very cool, but also a power nerd type thing that I would not recommend for a new / casual user.

If you are on Windows looking to try linux, Hyper-V is built in to 10 & 11 Pro. Ubuntu is even a built-in option in the "quick create" menu, you can have that running in like 3 clicks. Installing some other distro from an iso is not much harder.

I never thought of Windows being on the VM... huh. I guess to start I'll look into this Hyper-V thing to figure out what flavor of linux I want to go with. Based on what I'm reading, if I get a setup that I like I should be able to image that over to an M2 drive if I want to go a little harder with it.

I'm not opposed to go all power nerd, but I have so much more than gaming going on my PC. Productivity, Art, Music, etc... I have a feeling that those things might suffer in a virtual environment (especially the drawing stuff).

Baby steps I guess.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

For Windows-as-a-VM to work well, you need to do some complicated IOMMU configuration to make it so the VM can use hardware (almost) directly without going through the host OS. It's pretty neat once you get it working, though, because the VM will run at almost 100% native speed.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Klyith posted:

edit: you don't need 2 drives to dual-boot, but it does make setup easier, and also really easy to revert to plain windows
Setting up a dual boot on 2 drives in a UEFI system = install linux to 2nd drive, reboot to BIOS, set the linux/grub EFI as 1st boot option. Linux won't need to touch the windows drive at all.

The latter worked even with both Windows and a Fedora install on the same drive. Fedora created an EFI partition mid-disk that my BIOS could see and select as in the above. It used GRUB from where you got the usual menu to boot into Windows too if you wanted.

Pop is interesting as it uses systemd-boot where you create a small FAT32 /boot/EFI partition just like Windows does. This seems to be the native UEFI boot setup so you don't need GRUB at all.

I followed this page to copy Windows' EFI loader over into the same partition and it all just works: https://www.jbellamydev.com/systemd_boot/. You get a very simple UEFI boot selector screen.

The Pop EFI loader seems to auto scan and detect the Windows EFI partition, so I think just adding the timeout option would have sufficed from that page and there's no need to copy the Windows files over.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Fistmaker posted:

I'm not opposed to go all power nerd, but I have so much more than gaming going on my PC. Productivity, Art, Music, etc... I have a feeling that those things might suffer in a virtual environment (especially the drawing stuff).

Baby steps I guess.

Like, if you have reasons to stick with windows, especially productivity apps that are windows-only, stick with windows! Windows is not terrible. There are things that linux is better at than windows, but if you don't do those things there's no point in bending over backwards to run linux just 'cause.

And certainly don't switch to linux for gaming! Gaming is not better on linux, it's merely possible.

If you're just interested in learning something about linux, a VM is great. You can also check out WSL for a more command-line centered experience. Another neat way to learn is to get a raspberry pi and do things with it.

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

PIs are cheap and fun. Regardless of anything else, grab a Pi and do some cool stuff with it. :hai:

You can even turn them into cute 2D emulation stations.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Ventoy is great for playing around with various distros quickly. Learned about it from Klyith's post in the Linux questions thread.

You let it take over a USB stick and it'll create a FAT partition into which you drop your ISOs as files. It then offers those to you as a menu at boot. Made flipping back and forth between Fedora and Pop live images so trivial.

I'm going to give Fedora Silverback a whirl later today thanks to the discussion in the other thread on flatpaks. That'll be a simple as dropping the ISO file into the Ventoy partition. No need to unpack and write it to a bootable partition or any of that nonsense.

What are you folks using for Nvidia drivers? The distros have 510 packaged, Nvidia has 515 on their website for Linux (Windows is at 516). I stuck with 510 yesterday, but is it worth the bother of keeping up to date with Nvidia's package?

Going beyond live CDs so to speak, I have to say the ease of install and set up of modern distros is such a huge step up from a decade ago. It's so fast and effortless that burning an install you already have going to try something else is not expensive at all. Most of my time yesterday was in downloading and attaching for workarounds to the Elden Ring controller issue, which is a problem with that game's code.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Fistmaker posted:

I never thought of Windows being on the VM... huh. I guess to start I'll look into this Hyper-V thing to figure out what flavor of linux I want to go with. Based on what I'm reading, if I get a setup that I like I should be able to image that over to an M2 drive if I want to go a little harder with it.

Baby steps I guess.

You may be able to do a lot of that natively in Linux, depending on how tied you are to specific software.

That said there's bound to be headaches along the way, so if you don't have a specific reason to ditch windows, and windows suits your needs of course like the dude up thread suggests there's nothing wrong with sticking with windows.

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Lifroc posted:

Elden Ring actually works better on Linux than Windows, because DXVK has a patch to mitigate the loading issues that cause stutters.

But to get the best performance, you NEED mesa 22. It is crucial. I've played 100h on Linux on 4K maxed with no frame drop. This is with an AMD card, as usual with Nvidia YMMV.
Huh. Fascinating. That's nice to hear for the future because, here's the thing: my desktop has a GeForce GTX 960. Which I bought back in 2015. It's the newest part of my gaming rig. (Except for the G-SYNC monitor. I wasn't planning on switching to Linux!) I'm planning on building a whole new computer sometime this year, looking at AMD CPU/GPU.

Is this DXVK patch an automatic thing that I already have (I have Elden Ring installed in both Linux and Windows) or something I need to grab from somebody's GitHub page?

Right now, on Linux, I run Elden Ring in a 1902x1080 window, most settings on Low, and get framerates that are generally playable but noticeably not-great. Low 30s at best, usually high 20s or 30 even. Drops to 20-25 fps if I'm somewhere with environmental effects or dense foliage. (Like Stormveil when the winds pick up, or the more lush parts of Liurnia.) Given it's a brand new game running on a seven year old GPU and a ten year old CPU (i5-3570k), this is sort of what I expected until I reminded myself Elden Ring was also coming out on PS4.

On Windows, I have it as a borderless fullscreen 2560x1440 window, most settings at Medium and several at High, and it almost always stays at a rock steady 30-something fps. Occasionally if I'm in tight confines with little going on (catacomb dungeon, or a bossfight without a lot of effects), it'll pop up to something like 45 fps, which with the G-SYNC monitor just makes everything all the smoother. The only times I've had the framerate drop and be a problem have been slight issues with Stormveil (that wind effect :argh:) and the Placidusax fight.

Not having to swap over to Windows for just that one game would be nice.

Phosphine posted:

I don't know the exact package/version, but essentially the problem was that the steam install required a specific version of another package, let's say package X version 1.3. The GUI for the OS also depends on this package, but "any version greater than 1.4". Asking any system to resolve this dependency is impossible when you can only have one version of a package installed, so the package manager (correctly, and with a description of the problem) refused to install steam.
So this reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask the general Linux questions thread:

Is there a distro where that rule ... doesn't apply? Where you can have multiple versions of packages installed, and everything has to specify what version of the other thing it's invoking, etc.? It sounds like a nightmare for maintenance but the idea keeps coming to me.

fake edit:

v1ld posted:

What are you folks using for Nvidia drivers? The distros have 510 packaged, Nvidia has 515 on their website for Linux (Windows is at 516). I stuck with 510 yesterday, but is it worth the bother of keeping up to date with Nvidia's package?
The nVidia settings panel tells me I'm on 515.48.07. I'm running Arch and usually remember to do a full system update at least once a week, more often daily, so I'm not exactly surprised I have the latest Linux driver.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I would recommend dual booting over VM isolation, you have to have two video cards or otherwise get lucky with hardware support to be able to hand the GPU to the guest and back successfully. The only time i ever need to boot into windows is to play certain multiplayer games with my buds, and from linux you can tell it as part of the reboot which grub entry to load. I made an alias for it and just go get some water or something and windows is up and running when i get back. Pretty effortless.

Proton is a wonder and the vast majority of the games i wanna play are completely playable on linux. YMMV with competitive multiplayer

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Mr. Crow posted:

The only time i ever need to boot into windows is to play certain multiplayer games with my buds, and from linux you can tell it as part of the reboot which grub entry to load. I made an alias for it and just go get some water or something and windows is up and running when i get back. Pretty effortless.

How is that done? I always have to pay attention and select Windows on the boot menu. It'd be nice to just have a little "Reboot to Windows" option and I've never bothered to investigate how to set that up.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Vavrek posted:

So this reminds me of something I've been meaning to ask the general Linux questions thread:

Is there a distro where that rule ... doesn't apply? Where you can have multiple versions of packages installed, and everything has to specify what version of the other thing it's invoking, etc.? It sounds like a nightmare for maintenance but the idea keeps coming to me.

There's a package manager called Nix that manages this properly. Packages that need the same version can share, but if you need different versions, it installs both. You can install Nix on basically any Linux and start using it, it's not the easiest to learn but not super difficult either.

There's also NixOS, an entire distro built on nix. It's definitely advanced nerd poo poo though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Vavrek posted:

How is that done? I always have to pay attention and select Windows on the boot menu. It'd be nice to just have a little "Reboot to Windows" option and I've never bothered to investigate how to set that up.

There's a couple ways to do it, but IIRC this is how I'm doing it (phone posting) https://askubuntu.com/questions/18170/how-to-reboot-into-windows-from-ubuntu

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Yeah, Nix is super advanced nerd poo poo and, as someone who uses it a lot, I definitely don't recommend NixOS for gaming. Because of how it and GPU drivers are designed, it can have some weird problems with GPU-accelerated programs.

The package manager itself, though, is pretty useful even in other distros. You can use it and home-manager to make a reproducible user home configuration, for example. (The same problems with GPU drivers apply, though, so probably don't try to manage games with it)

Music Theory fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Jun 25, 2022

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I came into contact with it as a sysadmin for a Linux machine learning cluster, where the reproducibility of it compared to apt+puppet was lovely, but I have not used NixOS at all on a regular computer, and I've used Nix on my personal computer a bit mostly because I like the nerd poo poo more than because it solved an actual problem i had.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Phosphine posted:

I came into contact with it as a sysadmin for a Linux machine learning cluster, where the reproducibility of it compared to apt+puppet was lovely, but I have not used NixOS at all on a regular computer, and I've used Nix on my personal computer a bit mostly because I like the nerd poo poo more than because it solved an actual problem i had.

yeah i use nixos for basically this reason

It really is pretty nice for servers, though

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Insanite posted:

PIs are cheap and fun. Regardless of anything else, grab a Pi and do some cool stuff with it. :hai:

You can even turn them into cute 2D emulation stations.

Not right now they're loving not. I was trying to get my hands on a CM4 the other day, and there are none to be had, except on Ebay for about two or three times the RRP. :sigh:

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

The_White_Crane posted:

Not right now they're loving not. I was trying to get my hands on a CM4 the other day, and there are none to be had, except on Ebay for about two or three times the RRP. :sigh:

drat. Yeah, looks like they're sold out everywhere. Seeing lots of backordered 'til August notes. Yuck.

RIP RPi, in that case :(

Well, uh, if you're willing to go a little less cute, lightly used or refurbed micro office desktops can get you to a similar place. I walked a friend through turning a Tiny ThinkCentre into a couchgaming Linux PC, and those are still findable. :shrug:

Insanite fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Jun 25, 2022

Fistmaker
Mar 8, 2019

Klyith posted:

Like, if you have reasons to stick with windows, especially productivity apps that are windows-only, stick with windows! Windows is not terrible. There are things that linux is better at than windows, but if you don't do those things there's no point in bending over backwards to run linux just 'cause.

And certainly don't switch to linux for gaming! Gaming is not better on linux, it's merely possible.

If you're just interested in learning something about linux, a VM is great. You can also check out WSL for a more command-line centered experience. Another neat way to learn is to get a raspberry pi and do things with it.

Most of the stuff I use for Music / Game Development seems to work on Linux, after some configuring anyway. I could always seek out alternatives as well, I'm not super tied down. I have a Cintiq drawing pad that I use, and I use CSP on that. A quick googling shows that I can get those both up and running. After messing with Windows 11 on my new laptop, I am not impressed. Many of the features honestly reminded me of linux, and OneDrive can honestly go screw itself trying to upload all of my data 24/7. It's disabled now, but seriously screw that. F5 means refresh my window, NOT UPLOAD MY WHOLE drat COMPUTER TO THE CLOUD. If you couldn't tell, this makes me irrationally angry. /rant

I got into linux when I stumbled on to things like puppy linux and other recovery distros. I was amazed that an entire OS could just live in the RAM. That did eventually lead me into the Raspberri Pi's. I think I have like 5 of them now for various things. I'm currently running the ARM64 Unbuntu on an RPI4 for a UO server my buds and I mess with. I was always interested in the idea of a low power server that I could just have running so my bro's can play the server whenever I was out on travel. That made me learn terminal multiplexing, what cron was and how to edit it so that the server would come up after a power loss. I do love messing with RPI's. So I'm not entirely new to linux.

The first few roguelikes I programmed were on puppy linux with python. Now that I'm doing most of my dev in HTML5 the OS doesn't really matter. Also, you guys rock and I'm reading all of your recommendations.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I've been using Linux daily for work for about 5 years now. And ever since switching to mostly remote with the dang covid, I started dual booting on my Gaming Rig. My biggest PC game is CSGO so that wasn't much of a difference, but enough of my library has been perfectly playable under proton, even back two years ago, that I've barely touched Windows in that time. If it weren't for the anti-cheat stuff dragging things down, it'd be even less.

I've bounced around, but I've been really happy with Fedora the last few releases. After getting a taste of ostree and liking it on some of my VMs/tinker computers I'd like to move over to Silverblue maybe with 37. I've been using toolbx for my dev environments more and more anyway.

And yeah, Pi's take a little work to get right now. I wanted one for a specific project and had to stalk RPi Locator for a bit. They're fun though. But you're probably better off getting scrap laptops or thin clients for low power hardware to mess with.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

A lot of non-gaming talk for a gaming thread. :rolleyes: Such is the experience of the Linux user: you want to game, you need to learn software engineering and systems administration to figure out all the issues and bugs. There's a Linux general thread elsewhere for all the nitty gritty of virtualization if you're curious on how to set it up (I had a working VFIO passthrough setup a couple years ago)

Vavrek posted:

Huh. Fascinating. That's nice to hear for the future because, here's the thing: my desktop has a GeForce GTX 960. Which I bought back in 2015. It's the newest part of my gaming rig. (Except for the G-SYNC monitor. I wasn't planning on switching to Linux!) I'm planning on building a whole new computer sometime this year, looking at AMD CPU/GPU.

Is this DXVK patch an automatic thing that I already have (I have Elden Ring installed in both Linux and Windows) or something I need to grab from somebody's GitHub page?

You don't need to download anything. DXVK is part of Proton. Here's the thing: to get the best perf for Elden Ring you need mesa 22, but NVIDIA doesn't use mesa, so I'm not sure if the nvidia drivers might be a bottleneck, especially for such an old card. I doubt NVIDIA cares much for optimising modern games for a card that's 7+ years old. In any case, NVIDIA or not, the DXVK patch should work and reduce the stuttering caused by the game loading new assets as you move through the open world.

With my 6800XT, Elden Ring was smoother and with better frame pacing than Windows. With your setup, it might not be the case. And NVIDIA has always been arse on Linux, even though AFAIK they were always on par performance wise.

Quixzlizx
Jan 7, 2007
What distros are most likely to work with a laptop with a NVIDIA Optimus setup? It's an i5-7300HQ and 1060, if that matters. I've read that Optimus support can be kind of a nightmare.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Quixzlizx posted:

What distros are most likely to work with a laptop with a NVIDIA Optimus setup? It's an i5-7300HQ and 1060, if that matters. I've read that Optimus support can be kind of a nightmare.

Any? GNOME last I checked had an option to "Run this application on discrete graphics" which seems to be very handy. I don't have a laptop so I can't say. As usual, when talking about GNOME the best experience is on Fedora.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Currently trying to play a game (Persona 4) that launched properly last night but now CTD as soon as it gets past the opening screens with the publisher etc. Internet says to put this into launch options: PROTON_LOG=1 %command% I did that...and it created a log which I had to find via search because it wasn't showing up in the directory that the internet said it did. So here it is!: https://pastebin.com/hJkdPEFL

I humbly ask you to search my logs and tell me if you see what could be causing this to act up. I would also be immensely helpful if you could explain which areas you're looking at for issues and any troubleshooting thought processes you have. I'd like to do my best and learn how to screen the baby issues going forward so im not clogging up this thread with dookie.

attempted fixes: changing proton versions from experimental to the latest stable one, turning off controller prior to game launch, restart pc, words of encouragement

assorted thoughts: I had 2 versions of steam installed accidentally: the flatpak version and the one that was built into popOS. im not sure which version of steam install im using and which one I removed. would this matter in this case?

edit 3: Here's also Cruelty Squad's crash logs. I at least tried comparing the two crash logs to see if I saw any similarities involved but nothing I could tell. https://pastebin.com/W1HA9CUF

buglord fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Jun 26, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

buglord posted:

assorted thoughts: I had 2 versions of steam installed accidentally: the flatpak version and the one that was built into popOS. im not sure which version of steam install im using and which one I removed. would this matter in this case?

It could yes. The first error complains about wrong ELF classes with gstreamer, I think i had that error at one point on Fedora unfortunately i don't remember the fix. It could be that youre using flatpak and its mixing up its libraries? Try and figure out which version your using "dpkg -l | grep -i steam" for the package version, i forget the command to list flatpak, maybe just "flatpak list"?