Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
No global push to talk is a pretty severe limitation for me tbh.

That said, with Plasma 5.25 the Wayland desktop is in an okay shape even with my weirdo monitor layout (one rotated to portrait, two landsape).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

froody guy posted:

Does reshade work always with any game (and do you use this to install it)? Or every game has its own way?

I would go with the linux-native vkBasalt rather than trying to get a windows injector to run in the wine environment inside proton. vkBasalt works on anything that is vulkan native or using DXVK.

Lifroc posted:

There's https://github.com/houmain/keymapper which supposedly works on Wayland, on top of being cross platform. GNOME and wlroots-based DE only though, so no KDE.

At least its syntax looks more sane than Autohotkey.

Autohotkey syntax is whack because it evolved from a hotkey/marco program into a full general-purpose scripting language, with direct and easy access to windows APIs. The way I used autohotkey would need a combination of a macro program, python, and knowledge of qt/gtk desktop environment guts to replicate.

(But really, the answer is that on linux I don't *need* to replicate AHK with a single program, because the features already exist -- just spread through other systems. Like all the window management stuff I did in AHK is just directly available on KDE Kwin.)

Antigravitas posted:

No global push to talk is a pretty severe limitation for me tbh.

Yeah. It's frustrating, but solutions are slowly coming. Like, right now apps can register global hotkeys via the DE -- ex Spectacle on KDE grabs the printscreen key and variations, so you have good screen capture. And it seems like freedesktop is organizing a full, non-DE-dependent, solution.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Got directed here from the Steam Deck thread, hopefully some guru here can help me.
I’m trying to install Diablo 2 (the original not Resurrected). Downloaded the installer from blizzard, and cannot get it going. Lutris and Proton both fail in more or less the same spot (right when it gets me to choose a place to install it it’ll crash), and none of the installers on Lutris’ site work any better.
Bottles I’m able get the installer fired up, but when you go to actually install it’s a blank EULA (which is apparently a known issue, but no update since May. Looking for other ideas here.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Opopanax posted:

Got directed here from the Steam Deck thread, hopefully some guru here can help me.
I’m trying to install Diablo 2 (the original not Resurrected). Downloaded the installer from blizzard, and cannot get it going. Lutris and Proton both fail in more or less the same spot (right when it gets me to choose a place to install it it’ll crash), and none of the installers on Lutris’ site work any better.
Bottles I’m able get the installer fired up, but when you go to actually install it’s a blank EULA (which is apparently a known issue, but no update since May. Looking for other ideas here.

Have you tried another runtime on Bottles instead of the default one (Caffe)? And checked ProtonDB?

Have you made sure Diablo 2 will run on Wine in the first place? It's an older game, so no guarantee, but there should be a ton of information about it on the net I reckon.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Klyith posted:

Missing stuff from X11 is a thing though. I'm a lot less affected by that as a recent convert to full-time linux desktop -- I don't have much baggage. But even then, wayland's security barriers between apps make some things less than ideal, like hotkeys & macros. I knew going in that there was no good autohotkey replacement on linux, but even the inferior hotkey apps don't work on wayland.

Try kmonad.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Lifroc posted:

Have you tried another runtime on Bottles instead of the default one (Caffe)? And checked ProtonDB?

Have you made sure Diablo 2 will run on Wine in the first place? It's an older game, so no guarantee, but there should be a ton of information about it on the net I reckon.

I've seen posts about it and while they don't currently work, lutris does have a lot of records of it having worked in the past. I'm pretty sure I've tried another run time but that error log specifically mentions that it's not just caffe. I'm not sure what ProtonDB is (I haven't had any kind of PC in many years and never used Linux, learning as I go).

It technically does work so far, it boots up to the installer window and has all the background stuff, it's just the EULA won't show so I can't complete it. From what I'm reading it's just gecko not working right to tunnthe html that the EULA needs, but that's about the limit of my knowledge here

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

The new GPU (RX 6800) has finally arrived and it's quite awesome. The perfect match for a 3440x1440 display and it can surely do 4k lowering some settings. I've been (and I will be) trying only MSFS but I consider it a pretty good test as it's one of the most demanding games out there I reckon. No problem whatsoever running it via open drivers and monitoring it. The only thing I wanted to tweak was the fan curve and I've been trying both CoreCtrl and Radeon-Profile. Tbh it seems like they are equally good, probably radeon-profile looks a bit better, has a more intuitive UI and gathers more resources and stats making them easier to access and read.

I'm very very reluctant doing any oc and tbh I don't think I will here on linux. That being said, do you guys have any preference among these 2 tools and is there a field or use case where one is clearly better than the other?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

froody guy posted:

The new GPU (RX 6800) has finally arrived and it's quite awesome. The perfect match for a 3440x1440 display and it can surely do 4k lowering some settings. I've been (and I will be) trying only MSFS but I consider it a pretty good test as it's one of the most demanding games out there I reckon. No problem whatsoever running it via open drivers and monitoring it. The only thing I wanted to tweak was the fan curve and I've been trying both CoreCtrl and Radeon-Profile. Tbh it seems like they are equally good, probably radeon-profile looks a bit better, has a more intuitive UI and gathers more resources and stats making them easier to access and read.

I'm very very reluctant doing any oc and tbh I don't think I will here on linux. That being said, do you guys have any preference among these 2 tools and is there a field or use case where one is clearly better than the other?

I do not recommend OC in general, but what I would suggest is to manually force the GPU to a better performance profile, because on Linux you might get stutters because the default frequency switching heuristic is quite bad and will not be fixed any time soon. Due to how the Linux desktop is set up, the card isn't able to tell if you're running a game or not, so even simple features like FPS limiters will cause your game to stutter, especially on very light games.

See here: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/drm/amd/-/issues/1500

The solution is pretty simple: force the card to use the 3D_FULL_SCREEN profile all the time. This will increase the power consumption a little, but it is not like running at max power all the time. In fact it might make your desktop interactions smoother as well.

You can switch to this profile temporarily with:
code:
echo manual | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/power_dpm_force_performance_level
echo 1 | sudo tee /sys/class/drm/card0/device/pp_power_profile_mode
And you can have this setting applied at boot by creating a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/50-amdgpu-power.rules with:
code:
KERNEL=="card0", SUBSYSTEM=="drm", DRIVERS=="amdgpu", ATTR{device/power_dpm_force_performance_level}="manual", ATTR{device/pp_power_profile_mode}="1"
I highly recommend anyone with a RDNA2 card (6800 XT/6900 XT) to look into this, your games might be stuttering because of it.

Lifroc fucked around with this message at 09:51 on Aug 8, 2022

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Lifroc posted:

And you can have this setting applied at boot by creating a file called /etc/udev/rules.d/50-amdgpu-power.rules with:
code:
KERNEL=="card0", SUBSYSTEM=="drm", DRIVERS=="amdgpu", ATTR{device/power_dpm_force_performance_level}="manual", ATTR{device/pp_power_profile_mode}="1"
I highly recommend anyone with a RDNA2 card (6800 XT/6900 XT) to look into this, your games might be stuttering because of it.

Here's where it seems that radeon-profile is clearly getting an edge over corectrl since not only does it show way more stuff and more organically, but you can also do what you just said with some good ole mouse n clicks

All configurations can be saved and stored for the next boot too but I haven't since the udev rule is clearly the way to go :hf:

Changing the 3D_FULL_SCREEN profile also reduced significantly that sort of whine coming from the GPU when it's under some kind of heavy load. I wouldn't call it coil whine, although it technically is indeed 'a coil whine', because it's not highly pitched and annoying or worrisome in any way, but it certainly is a bit of a concern to hear it while the GPU is crunching hard since I don't remember hearing it in win. It really seems like the freqs are changing back and forth repeatedly from some sort of 'base-level' to another 'operating-level' instead of being fixed as per the governor setting. Ok, lemme go and check it out.

EDIT: the 'coil-whine thing' is exactly the same in win too. I didn't notice it as much coz I had a way too aggressive fan curve there. Now that I smoothed them both to more reasonable levels I can say the performances are basically identical. There are some minor things not perfect on linux, like some highlighting on the hud when the instructor speaks and wants me to focus on them, or sometimes the controllers maps aren't displayed correctly (not editable) although they are working perfectly. Also, I tried downloading some free addons twice (so far) and both times the download got stuck. Anyway... 97% working as intended is quite amazing for such a monster AAA game with the name that shell not be named in its very... name :pilot:

froody guy fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Aug 8, 2022

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

froody guy posted:

OCing a high-end GPU like that is kinda dumb anyways -- they are already running at the high end of the power/performance curve when you get them. IMO the best use of OC utilities is underclocking, particularly in the summer, to cut a substantial whack of heat in exchange for a nearly invisible FPS drop.

froody guy posted:

Here's where it seems that radeon-profile is clearly getting an edge over corectrl since not only does it show way more stuff and more organically, but you can also do what you just said with some good ole mouse n clicks

All configurations can be saved and stored for the next boot too but I haven't since the udev rule is clearly the way to go :hf:

Ooooh, radeon-profile does look pretty good. I chose core-ctrl because it does both GPU and my CPU, but that one seems better for pure GPU stuff.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Klyith posted:

Settings -> Steam Play -> enable steam play for all other titles

This will allow you to install windows-only games, and run them directly in steam's proton using a steam-specific .wine prefix (same as what wine bottles do).

This is probably better and more performant than running windows-steam as a whole in a wine bottle. I'd guess that stuff like steam overlay, if you use it, works better native.

What's the process for switching between native and Proton versions of stuff that supports it? For example, Battletech has a native version but for some reason I always wind up with the Windows version installed when I click Install.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Be aware that my suggestion to change the GPU profile doesn't improve performance per se, but latency and smoothness in frametimes. The default freq switching algo scales to min frequency pretty quickly, so if you have an FPS limiter active you might notice stuttering because the GPU goes max->min frequency and back again very quickly, as the load is inconsistent.

I noticed this issue playing Hollow Knight, so not a heavy game by any stretch, but on long panning shots (such as when zooming around with that crystal ability), I'd get stuttering. Same with Foxhole, which was extremely annoying to see stable 60 fps with microstutters every couple seconds.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Klyith posted:

Ooooh, radeon-profile does look pretty good. I chose core-ctrl because it does both GPU and my CPU, but that one seems better for pure GPU stuff.

Yup

That's how 'cold' it gets in MSFS full load btw :coolfish:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Sheep posted:

What's the process for switching between native and Proton versions of stuff that supports it? For example, Battletech has a native version but for some reason I always wind up with the Windows version installed when I click Install.

Weird. I have Battletech as well, but got the native version just fine.

I'm too new to linux gaming to have seen something like this to know for sure, but the two things I'd try:
1. game properties, uncheck "force the use of a specific tool", see if that re-downloads the native version
2. steam settings, steam play, uncheck "enable steam play for all other titles", quit & restart steam. try verifying the game or other fiddling to get it to switch over, with the final option being uninstall & reinstall the game. when it's good, re-enable the steam play for other games.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

I noticed that radeon-profile has some weird readings on the clocks. That, or it really makes the gpu and vram clock quite erratically, which is what makes me a little concerned.

This happens only at idle, when launching a game all clocks look stable and consistent.

This is how it looks on corectrl instead, same time same situation as above (I eliminated all non relevant lines but they were all flat)

Not sure what's going on there but I'll switch to corectrl for the time being.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
GPUs constantly clock up and down when idle. As soon as something has to be redrawn on screen it'll clock up for a split second.

I assume the two programs use a different sampling rate, but radeon-profile also doesn't filter out zeroes, which, if I remember the code correctly, can be returned if you poll too often. CoreCtrl also smoothes values somewhat.

Both tools should use the same exact data source provided by the kernel. Neither tool directly instructs the GPU to do anything, they just tell the kernel how the card should behave.

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

Yeah GPUs and CPUs constantly keep frequency switching. It's best to switch to max freq to complete an operation as quickly as possible, than staying at low frequency and taking more time, thus effectively using more energy.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Linux gaming on the Steam Deck is great too. I could copy all my Monster Hunter Rise mods over from my desktop Arch install to the Deck and everything just worked. Unsurprising given the Deck is also running Arch, not just Linux, but still sweet to see.

Pics and details here if anyone is curious: https://imgur.com/gallery/sQLJWJw

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Ok, but can it run Kung Fury?

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Something just occurred to me. I'm only using Flatpak Steam and Flatpak Heroic for all my gaming currently on Fedora 36. Do you actually need Wine and Winetricks installed in that case?

Lifroc
May 8, 2020

40Inch posted:

Something just occurred to me. I'm only using Flatpak Steam and Flatpak Heroic for all my gaming currently on Fedora 36. Do you actually need Wine and Winetricks installed in that case?

Nope. The only hard dependency of a Flatpak is a kernel that's from the past 5 years or so. Everything else is included either in the Flatpak itself, or its runtime.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Is there an easy way to try flatpak steam and not have to redownload and/or copy all your games?

I remember trying flatpak steam on fedora some number of OS releases ago and it wasn't working for some reason, kinda want to try it again. Are there extra hoops to jump through with the flatpak version and mods for games, GE versions of proton, etc?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Mr. Crow posted:

Is there an easy way to try flatpak steam and not have to redownload and/or copy all your games?

I think you could add the normal steam steamapps directory to flatpak-steam as a steam library, if you first override your flatpak so that steam has access to stuff outside the sandbox.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You could also move whatever ~/.steam (it's a symlink) points to into .var/app/com.valvesoftware.steam/data so that your steam directory exists inside the Flatpak sandbox

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Is Steam pretty cool with refunding a game if it doesn't work well with Proton?

I don't think I've ever requested a refund for anything before even on Windows.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

isaboo posted:

If you are in the two hour window they really don’t care.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

isaboo posted:

Steam will let you refund for no reason at all within 2 hours

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
The game developer / publisher / whoever looks at their steam stats does see the refund reasons though.

So IMO putting "doesn't work with proton on linux" in your reason is the way to go -- the game dev isn't gonna be able to fix proton, but seeing that people specifically want linux support would encourage them to think about it for the future.

froody guy
Jun 25, 2013

Ok, I have a bad feeling about this but I'm extremely noob at wine and proton so maybe there's a chance. So, the thing is: the few games I tried work perfectly, for sure those under steam. But how does it work with addons and other tools that must run below the main ones, like for example a voip server that must be ran by an in-game comm app (two separate exe files in this case)?

Talking specifically for those who play MSFS, is there a way to have the Map Enhancement app in order to use Google Maps instead of Bing? Or the Addons Linker in a way that it can launch other apps by itself?

I tried $wine name_of_the_app.exe, it didn't work :negative:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

froody guy posted:

Ok, I have a bad feeling about this but I'm extremely noob at wine and proton so maybe there's a chance. So, the thing is: the few games I tried work perfectly, for sure those under steam. But how does it work with addons and other tools that must run below the main ones, like for example a voip server that must be ran by an in-game comm app (two separate exe files in this case)?

Talking specifically for those who play MSFS, is there a way to have the Map Enhancement app in order to use Google Maps instead of Bing? Or the Addons Linker in a way that it can launch other apps by itself?

I tried $wine name_of_the_app.exe, it didn't work :negative:

Yeah that's gonna be one of those things that can be trivial or impossible or anywhere in between.

For your specific thing, I see this: https://github.com/derekhe/msfs2020-map-enhancement/issues/208
and think it would be easily possible to convert the mod to run in linux (flask, python, and nginx are all linux-native). Buuuuut running the mod as-is through wine is useless: the way it works is loving with host files so that MSFS looks at a local server that MITMs bing maps into google maps. On linux the methods to do that are totally different. So like the basic setup to make the mod work won't function.

So tl;dr you're hosed, hope that MSFS coming out for linux inspires someone to re-package or re-make that mod in a more cross-platform* implementation. (Or do it yourself if you're less noob at python & servers as you are with wine & proton.)

*and hopefully less club-to-the-head dumb method

40Inch
Aug 15, 2002

Lutris updated to 5.11 and they finally moved the flatpak version out of the beta channel into stable. It includes support for Amazon Games. ie Those hundreds of free Twitch games that have piled up.

I couldn't see the flatpak in Fedora 36 Software, but adding it via terminal worked fine.

This weird flatpak obsession of mine makes me think I should just run Silverblue. :magemage:

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
I keep thinking of trying silverblue too then i remember i still compile stuff locally sometimes and then it seems like a pain in the rear end.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Right but that's what a toolbox is for. And you can have more than one of them. Type "toolbox" into your terminal and do a sudo dnf install like normal.

I've been using Silverblue for a few years now and it's pretty needs-suiting. Except for gnome's Software application, that thing is a completely broken piece of poo poo that has never worked in the five+ years it has been around. It's really good at displaying a spinner that hangs forever though.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

Right but that's what a toolbox is for. And you can have more than one of them. Type "toolbox" into your terminal and do a sudo dnf install like normal.

I've been using Silverblue for a few years now and it's pretty needs-suiting. Except for gnome's Software application, that thing is a completely broken piece of poo poo that has never worked in the five+ years it has been around. It's really good at displaying a spinner that hangs forever though.

I honestly just don't know that much about silverblue in practice beyond whats on the tin, looked into toolbox before and remember reading about it but didn't remember it till you mentioned it... how does Silverblue work if I have some drivers for some peripherals I need to compile and load into the OS, e.g. I use a driver for my XBone Wireless Controller and my HOTAS. IIRC they run as services so no modules but they do need some udev massaging. Same question with some games I've got compiled, for example openmw and stalker, would you just create a toolbox for it? Since toolbox is container based (I believe?) how does it handle passing the GPU as that's pretty touch and go for containers?

I need to look more into toolbox for work though it could trivialize some of my workflows...

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

Mr. Crow posted:

I honestly just don't know that much about silverblue in practice beyond whats on the tin, looked into toolbox before and remember reading about it but didn't remember it till you mentioned it... how does Silverblue work if I have some drivers for some peripherals I need to compile and load into the OS, e.g. I use a driver for my XBone Wireless Controller and my HOTAS. IIRC they run as services so no modules but they do need some udev massaging. Same question with some games I've got compiled, for example openmw and stalker, would you just create a toolbox for it? Since toolbox is container based (I believe?) how does it handle passing the GPU as that's pretty touch and go for containers?

I need to look more into toolbox for work though it could trivialize some of my workflows...

/etc and /var are persistent and read-write like you'd expect so you can put udev rules into host /etc like normal. I use an Xbone controller in wired and Bluetooth mode and it only needed some udev tweaking, same for my flight sim peripherals. Yes, this should come set up correctly OOTB, but it doesn't. Maybe some day it will. Also I still need to figure out the correct demon summoning sigils for udev to get the permissions set up correctly on my rudder pedals so I still do a chmod every time I reboot. Proton requires both the /dev/input/eventX and the /dev/hidraw nodes for a given device to be accessible for it to work under DirectInput (or whatever input API MSFS uses).

Installing locally-compiled system services will be a bit more awkward since you'd need to move them from toolbox /usr/local or /opt to the equivalent location on the host OS. Move them via your home directory or something. If your unmanaged system services don't want to live in one of those two places then that's basically a non-starter because everything in host OS /usr except for /usr/local (which is symlinked to /var/usrlocal or something) is immutable and managed by rpm-ostree. Compiling and loading kernel modules, if you needed to do that, would probably be the point where Silverblue becomes more trouble than it is worth, and you can still use Toolbox with regular Fedora just fine. The value prop of Silverblue is more around its atomic reboot-into-upgraded-system mechanism that can download and prepare a new deduplicated system image in the background, and also the fact that everybody's Silverblue host OS install is built from more or less the same set of packages so it's easier for Red Hat and co to QA, in much the same way as everybody uses the same build of Windows 10 or macOS Whatever.

Toolbox itself behaves more like a Flatpak than an OCI container integration-wise (even though it's an OCI container under the hood), so Wayland, X11, GPU and audio etc all integrate seamlessly with the host OS. Your entire /home directory (well, /var/home) from the host OS is mounted inside the Toolbox at its usual location but everything else is containerized and you have fake root inside that container.

The way I use Silverblue is that I have a desktop PC with a separate user account for WFH. This separate account doesn't have root and doesn't need root. I have a separate toolbox that I install development tools for work into as well as separate Podman containers for a local development Postgres or whatever. None of the stuff installed into the work user account pollutes my main user account. Silverblue is pretty great and I like to promote it where I can.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Silverblue's immutable approach to managing software is a very nice idea and implementation, but using Arch for the first time has also pointed out another way of achieving the goal of "don't make modifications all over the system." I.e., not immutability so much as removing the need to have unmanaged files in /usr or other system-managed folders.

I can get packages for just about everything I need in Arch. Core and associated community and extra portions of the distro go a long way towards this and the AUR covers most everything else. Between the two I haven't had to install anything outside my home dir - whereas I used to "chown -R v1ld:v1ld /usr/local" on laptops, including Macs, back in the day. I used homebrew heavily on OS X and I find the AUR better because the one package management spans both system (core Arch) and user (AUR) seamlessly.

The need for me is to have a managed system outside of personalized stuff under $HOME. The stuff under ~ gets managed by my dotfiles setup or by the package managers in something like Emacs or Neovim.

I've had to reinstall Arch on the laptop a few times in the past few weeks and it's crazy how efficient that process is to bootstrap into a fully working environment. Install packages, log into Firefox (a package management system!) and bootstrap into Lastpass, create ssh key and upload to github, download and init dotfiles, start neovim and do a couple :PackageSyncs and I'm mostly done. I have to create a couple files under /etc and add myself to a couple groups, but that's about it. All of what I'm doing here is managed by various systems, making a repave a pretty painless thing. The reproducibility of the process is not just theoretical but useful.

Not knocking Silverblue at all - it's a great approach. Just pointing out if the final goal is to have an easily reproducible system that doesn't have unmanaged files lying all over the place then one way to enforce that is through immutability, the other is by never needing to install unmanaged code or config in system locations.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Aug 26, 2022

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Kinda nuts that after 2 months of using Pop!_Os I’ve only now had to boot into Windows to play a game I want (Two Point Campus, which apparently runs fine on Proton but is effectively $1 on GamePass).

I don’t play MMOs or competitive titles so I don’t have to deal with launchers or easy anti cheat, but all my steam games have been solid experiences (even Vintage Story and Starsector, two non-Steam indie games).

I still have a few hiccups here and there so I wouldn’t suggest it for anyone who is new to PC gaming but man it feels really nice to leave the Windows ecosystem, especially with how privacy hostile 10 and 11 are out of the box.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Double post time: If I get a AMD GPU next, is it possible to have that undervolted (easily) on linux? My current understanding is that its painful to do with NVIDIA.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

buglord posted:

Double post time: If I get a AMD GPU next, is it possible to have that undervolted (easily) on linux? My current understanding is that its painful to do with NVIDIA.

Setting a power / watts target is easy, CoreCtrl and Radeon-profile are both GUI apps that can do that. Voltage control requires adding a kernel parameter to unlock, but then the apps can do it.

OTOH IMO setting power targets is generally good enough, particularly if you're trying to undervolt to save power & heat. And nvidia can do that pretty easily too, though it's a cmdline rather than gui app:
https://forum.level1techs.com/t/how-to-set-nvidia-gpu-power-limit-nvidia-smi/131467

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

Sapozhnik posted:

/etc and /var are persistent and read-write like you'd expect so you can put udev rules into host /etc like normal. I use an Xbone controller in wired and Bluetooth mode and it only needed some udev tweaking, same for my flight sim peripherals. Yes, this should come set up correctly OOTB, but it doesn't. Maybe some day it will. Also I still need to figure out the correct demon summoning sigils for udev to get the permissions set up correctly on my rudder pedals so I still do a chmod every time I reboot. Proton requires both the /dev/input/eventX and the /dev/hidraw nodes for a given device to be accessible for it to work under DirectInput (or whatever input API MSFS uses).

Installing locally-compiled system services will be a bit more awkward since you'd need to move them from toolbox /usr/local or /opt to the equivalent location on the host OS. Move them via your home directory or something. If your unmanaged system services don't want to live in one of those two places then that's basically a non-starter because everything in host OS /usr except for /usr/local (which is symlinked to /var/usrlocal or something) is immutable and managed by rpm-ostree. Compiling and loading kernel modules, if you needed to do that, would probably be the point where Silverblue becomes more trouble than it is worth, and you can still use Toolbox with regular Fedora just fine. The value prop of Silverblue is more around its atomic reboot-into-upgraded-system mechanism that can download and prepare a new deduplicated system image in the background, and also the fact that everybody's Silverblue host OS install is built from more or less the same set of packages so it's easier for Red Hat and co to QA, in much the same way as everybody uses the same build of Windows 10 or macOS Whatever.

Toolbox itself behaves more like a Flatpak than an OCI container integration-wise (even though it's an OCI container under the hood), so Wayland, X11, GPU and audio etc all integrate seamlessly with the host OS. Your entire /home directory (well, /var/home) from the host OS is mounted inside the Toolbox at its usual location but everything else is containerized and you have fake root inside that container.

The way I use Silverblue is that I have a desktop PC with a separate user account for WFH. This separate account doesn't have root and doesn't need root. I have a separate toolbox that I install development tools for work into as well as separate Podman containers for a local development Postgres or whatever. None of the stuff installed into the work user account pollutes my main user account. Silverblue is pretty great and I like to promote it where I can.

Appreciate the effort post, ill have to setup a VM with it and try it out, or maybe i have a spare partition i can boot to to try it