Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Welcome to the new USCE thread for 2022. This is a quick reminder that USCE is for discussing of current events and news about the United States in the year of our LORD 2022. If anyone has some interesting articles they wish to talk about, post it here! And please add some of your own commentary to it first. This isn't supposed to be a place to just dump bad tweets. There are plenty of other places to do that on SA, or if you just like reading those, do it on Twitter with the weirdos.

Another reminder, this isn't a place to make broad, sweeping ideological statements without providing new content in ways to discuss them. This would be probated under the D&D rule 2.C: "Fresh or Falsifiable."

Here is just a quick update on your regularly scheduled horrible news coming from the United States in the past week.

The Texas Republican Party has released their new platform, and it is purestrain crazy.

quote:

LGBTQ Americans
Homosexuality

2014: “Homosexuality is a chosen behavior that is contrary to the fundamental unchanging truths that have been ordained by God in the Bible, recognized by our nation’s founders, and shared by the majority of Texans. Homosexuality must not be presented as an acceptable alternative lifestyle, in public policy, nor should family be redefined to include homosexual couples. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin. Additionally, we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values.”

2022: “Homosexuality is an abnormal lifestyle choice. We believe there should be no granting of special legal entitlements or creation of special status for homosexual behavior, regardless of state of origin, and we oppose any criminal or civil penalties against those who oppose homosexuality out of faith, conviction, or belief in traditional values. No one should be granted special legal status based on their LGBTQ+ identification.”

Transgender

2014: Not included.

2022: The platform includes explicit opposition to “all efforts to validate transgender identity,” to any medical treatments related to transitioning for those under 21 and to using taxpayer funding for related treatments.

Immigration
Statement of core principles

2014: “America is proudly a nation of immigrants. Throughout our history, our nation has attracted productive, industrious and gifted people to America because she is exceptional, and those immigrants and their descendants helped make America the world’s unrivaled economic and military superpower. It remains imperative to create fair and consistent procedures that will again enable freedom-loving, hard-working and law-abiding immigrants to join us, by providing them an efficient, practical method of legal entry, so they can lawfully take positions where their labor is needed, without exploitation or harassment.”

2022: Not included.

Citizenship

2014: “We call on the Texas Legislature to pass a constitutional amendment that defines citizenship as those born to a citizen of the United States or through naturalization.”

2022: “Support a change to the 14th Amendment to eliminate ‘birth tourism’ or anchor babies by granting citizenship only to those with at least one biological parent who is a US citizen.”

Political power
Secession

2014: Not included.

2022: “Pursuant to Article 1, Section 1, of the Texas Constitution, the federal government has impaired our right of local self-government. Therefore, federally mandated legislation that infringes upon the 10th Amendment rights of Texas should be ignored, opposed, refused, and nullified. Texas retains the right to secede from the United States, and the Texas Legislature should be called upon to pass a referendum consistent thereto.”

Joe Biden fell off his bike. He appeared mostly fine afterward.

Eric Greitens, former Gov. of Missouri who resigned in disgrace 3 years ago, is running for Senate, and has a new campaign video that says to kill all RINOS. Twitter and Facebook took the video down.

quote:

“Join the MAGA crew,” Greitens tells the camera, referring to Republican former President Donald Trump’s slogan, Make America Great Again. “Get a RINO hunting permit. There’s no bagging limit, no tagging limit and it doesn’t expire until we save our country.”

The ad was released amid a national debate over gun violence following the May 24 Texas elementary school massacre that left 19 students and two teachers dead and the racially motivated killing of 10 Black people in Buffalo, New York, on May 14.

Happy posting!

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 21, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
picking up on a recent post in the old thread

Mr Hootington posted:

I would like to draw some of your attention to what Larry Summers said after meeting with Joe biden.
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1539012452905627650?t=phkTrMWn4QbyuEZsmZhFag&s=19

The new york fed put out a new gdp forecast and it now says 2022 and 2023 will have negative gdp growth.
https://libertystreeteconomics.newyorkfed.org/2022/06/the-new-york-fed-dsge-model-forecast-june-2022/

i've seen a fair number of pundits lay the current conditions on the fed for choosing to emphasize the unemployment portion of their mandate a few years back, and for easy money policies in response to the '08 and '20 crises. there had been a movement by progressive economists in the wake of the drawn-out recovery and wage stagnation following '08 calling for more intervention on behalf of the unemployed and low wage earners, and i have a feeling that's going to be smothered for another generation

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The White House is releasing a broad LGBTQI+ EO tomorrow, the text is here:

https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...sex-individuals

Lots of actions are involved, but relatively few can have direct impact since the problems are occurring at the state level. Highlights include instructing HHS to expand programs to explicitly cover LGBTQI in several areas with related reporting, and a multiprong attack on the funding and permissibility of conversion therapy.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
The FDA is also extending the comment period for its proposed rule that will render flavored cigars and all menthol-flavored cigarettes illegal.

Proposed rule for flavored cigars:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/05/04/2022-08993/tobacco-product-standard-for-characterizing-flavors-in-cigars
Comment docket:
https://www.regulations.gov/document/FDA-2021-N-1309-0001/comment

Proposed rule for mentholated cigarettes:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/05/04/2022-08994/tobacco-product-standard-for-menthol-in-cigarettes
Comment docket:
https://www.regulations.gov/document/FDA-2021-N-1349-0001/comment

There are about 140k comments on these so far, so there's clearly botting and form comment campaigns going on. What I'm finding unusual is how many comments appear handmade, including from both the pro and anti sides.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jun 21, 2022

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i've seen a fair number of pundits lay the current conditions on the fed for choosing to emphasize the unemployment portion of their mandate a few years back, and for easy money policies in response to the '08 and '20 crises. there had been a movement by progressive economists in the wake of the drawn-out recovery and wage stagnation following '08 calling for more intervention on behalf of the unemployed and low wage earners, and i have a feeling that's going to be smothered for another generation

Larry Summers, in particular, has been lusting for the poor to suffer at least since he was consulted on student loan forgiveness, where he said he was against it because it would lead to loan-havers having too much money to spend.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

I did not realize that these were online, and i am getting bigtime "Pawnee citizens at Town Hall" vibes

e: also, randomly clicking, i've already found four "i am a tobacco retailer that is strongly opposed to this ban because I will make less money because this is a governmental intrusion on personal freedoms" so far

Craig K fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 21, 2022

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

On account of my mental health and/or blood pressure, can I just ignore whatever poo poo's spewed out of Texas for the rest of the year? I have a feeling this will bite Texan Chuds later.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

MickeyFinn posted:

Larry Summers, in particular, has been lusting for the poor to suffer at least since he was consulted on student loan forgiveness, where he said he was against it because it would lead to loan-havers having too much money to spend.

yeah, he was also vocally opposed to additional stimulus in late 2020/ early 2021 for the same reason. it seemed that the white house didn't pay him much mind at the time, but who knows what sort of cachet has now been attached to this line of thought by "serious" policy folks

there seems to be a tendency to set aside the continuing supply shocks we've been seeing for the last year to focus on the anemic increase in wage growth following decades of stagnation. i guess it goes to show that technocratic paths to relief for those in need are a thin branch to hang your hopes on, it takes years to build a narrative and get people into place to implement policy, and then it can all gets swept away in less than a year

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Grouchio posted:

On account of my mental health and/or blood pressure, can I just ignore whatever poo poo's spewed out of Texas for the rest of the year? I have a feeling this will bite Texan Chuds later.

Lol

“Surely, this’ll alienate the moderate Republicans!”

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Remember everyone to make time for self care and relaxation, too much politics is not good for your health.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Grouchio posted:

yes, you have permission to not bury yourself in anxiety spirals over all the bad poo poo:

AtomikKrab posted:

Remember everyone to make time for self care and relaxation, too much politics is not good for your health.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Craig K posted:

I did not realize that these were online, and i am getting bigtime "Pawnee citizens at Town Hall" vibes

e: also, randomly clicking, i've already found four "i am a tobacco retailer that is strongly opposed to this ban because I will make less money because this is a governmental intrusion on personal freedoms" so far

Not only are they generally public, the agency has to respond to all substantive comments. Regulations.gov is a treasuretrove.

Similarly, for those interested in federal activity, the federal register is an excellent resource of what new regulations most agencies are implementing on a day to day basis.

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!

Craig K posted:

big yikes, also lmao:

quote:

do not take another choice of Americans away, many people of all colors races chose menthol, people have free will, they know the risks, if you ban menthol cigs, you have to ban all cigs........leave us alone ,let us make our own choices, decisions, stop using race to push this threw, class actions suits to follow of course for the gov violating our freedoms , stop regulating our choices, your not my mamma or daddy, and no i am not black, it affects all races free choices

Was the first one I clicked.

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

Not only are they generally public, the agency has to respond to all substantive comments. Regulations.gov is a treasuretrove.

This is what leads to things like the US government officially stating that nuking hurricanes would be a "bad idea", isn't it. I feel bad for the folks who have to write that stuff.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Fritz the Horse posted:

yes, you have permission to not bury yourself in anxiety spirals over all the bad poo poo:
It's not even anxiety spirals at this point it's just full ire now.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Discendo Vox posted:

The FDA is also extending the comment period for its proposed rule that will render flavored cigars and all menthol-flavored cigarettes illegal.

Proposed rule for flavored cigars:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/05/04/2022-08993/tobacco-product-standard-for-characterizing-flavors-in-cigars
Comment docket:
https://www.regulations.gov/document/FDA-2021-N-1309-0001/comment

Proposed rule for mentholated cigarettes:
https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2022/05/04/2022-08994/tobacco-product-standard-for-menthol-in-cigarettes
Comment docket:
https://www.regulations.gov/document/FDA-2021-N-1349-0001/comment

There are about 140k comments on these so far, so there's clearly botting and form comment campaigns going on. What I'm finding unusual is how many comments appear handmade, including from both the pro and anti sides.

I don't smoke, but I used to enter a lot of online contests and stuff and the tobacco sites all gave away awesome crap - as such I have been getting tons of email from all of them urging to go make your voices heard against the menthol/flavored ban.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Actually do pay attention to the news. Maybe a decade ago you were overworking yourself into a tizzy over not much when it was just Obama getting cucked nonstop but now the fascism is real and it’s happening.

Republicans had three decades of literal fear mongering broadcasted into their brains, and it seemed to work out well for them. And unlike them, we actually have real things to worry about! We don’t have to monger our fears!

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jun 21, 2022

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
To lighten the mood, I was reading one of the bad threads and I ran across this extremely darkly funny excerpt from Yesterday's Man:

Joe Biden had never once passed up a chance to have his wallet inspected, has he

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

yeah, he was also vocally opposed to additional stimulus in late 2020/ early 2021 for the same reason. it seemed that the white house didn't pay him much mind at the time, but who knows what sort of cachet has now been attached to this line of thought by "serious" policy folks

there seems to be a tendency to set aside the continuing supply shocks we've been seeing for the last year to focus on the anemic increase in wage growth following decades of stagnation. i guess it goes to show that technocratic paths to relief for those in need are a thin branch to hang your hopes on, it takes years to build a narrative and get people into place to implement policy, and then it can all gets swept away in less than a year

Is there an official D&D Econ thread to dive deeper on this?

"The Economist posted:

People’s inflation expectations are rising—and will be hard to bring down

No one listens to central banks

Consumer prices across the rich world are rising by more than 9% year on year, the highest rate since the 1980s. Worryingly, there is growing evidence that the public is starting to expect consistently high inflation. Figures suggesting that Americans’ medium-term expectations of inflation had risen helped set off the market turmoil of last week, which culminated in the Federal Reserve raising interest rates by three-quarters of a percentage point. Central banks urgently need to convince people that they are serious about getting inflation down. But a range of evidence suggests that changing the public’s mind could be extraordinarily difficult.

The difference in views of expert and lay groups has become gaping. Bernardo Candia, Olivier Coibion and Yuriy Gorodnichenko, three economists, look at the inflation expectations of four groups in America (see chart). Those of professional forecasters and financial markets remain close to the Fed’s target of 2%. But consumers’ beliefs increasingly do not. They expect prices to rise by over 5% over the next year. Firms, exposed to surging commodity, wage and other input costs, expect even higher inflation.

Expectations are rising outside of America, too. A dataset put together by the Cleveland Fed, Morning Consult, a consultancy, and Raphael Schoenle of Brandeis University gauges public inflation expectations in various places. In May 2021 a respondent in the median rich country thought inflation over the next year would be 2.3%. Now they expect a rate of 4.2%.

Central banks face a problem in getting these expectations down again. This is because few people, aside from investors and financial journalists, pay much notice to what they say. A new paper by Alan Blinder of Princeton University and colleagues puts it more drily. “Households and firms have a low desire to be informed about monetary policy.” A survey in 2014 found that only a quarter of Americans could pick out Janet Yellen as the then-chairwoman of the Fed, from a list of four. Four in ten Americans believe that the Fed’s inflation target exceeds 10%. Small wonder that the impact of its policy announcements on inflation expectations is “muted”, according to a recent study by Fiorella De Fiore of the Bank for International Settlements, and colleagues.

Nor are Americans alone. In the late 2000s researchers at the Bank of Italy assessed whether people knew what inflation was. Many had only a fuzzy understanding—with half of respondents confusing price changes with price levels. In recent years Japan has implemented forceful monetary easing in order to boost inflation. But in 2021 more than 40% of Japanese people had “never heard” of the plan, according to an official survey.

In the years before the pandemic, public apathy to monetary policy did not much matter. Inflation was low and stable. Now it matters a lot. Spiralling expectations could become embedded in wages and prices, pushing headline inflation higher still. Central bankers’ conventional toolkits may do little to bring them down. Even the effect of raising interest rates is not totally clear: twice as many Americans believe that higher rates raise inflation than reduce it, according to a recent The Economist/YouGov poll. What more can be done? History points to several options.

One is to make drastic or unexpected announcements. This could involve raising interest rates outside of scheduled meetings—a decision taken by India’s central bank in May. The European Central Bank (ecb) has used this trick in pursuit of another goal: keeping down government-bond spreads, which would otherwise threaten a debt crisis. In 2012 Mario Draghi, then the head of the bank, made an impromptu promise to do “whatever it takes” to save the euro. According to research by Michael Ehrmann of the ecb and Alena Wabitsch of Oxford University, the words generated high traffic on Twitter among non-experts, suggesting they had cut through. The genius of the statement, other research suggests, was that it focused on the end (“preserve the euro”) rather than the means (“buying bonds”), which is easier for the public to understand. The ecb has tried to repeat the trick more recently, such as by calling an emergency meeting to address widening spreads.

Others have played the long game. Paul Volcker, the Fed’s chairman from 1979 to 1987, cultivated a reputation as what economists call an inflation “nutter”: someone willing to tolerate high unemployment to defeat the beast. The public eventually got the message. A recent paper by Jonathon Hazell of the London School of Economics and others argues that post-Volcker “shifts in beliefs about the long-run monetary regime” proved more important than any other factor in conquering inflation before covid-19. Andrew Bailey, the head of the Bank of England, has been trying to embrace his inner Volcker, such as by giving Britons the impression that he cares more about inflation than he does their wages.

Another solution is for politicians to get involved. This has potential drawbacks. Politicians often advocate crackpot anti-inflation schemes such as price controls. Still, they might be able to help. After all, 37% of Americans believe that the president has “a lot” of control over inflation, compared with 34% for the Fed. Jimmy Carter’s appointment of Volcker in 1979 showed that he was serious about getting inflation down. In Britain, Margaret Thatcher and her henchmen talked tough on price stability; their willingness to slash government budgets probably backed up those words, by cooling the economy. Today in America, President Joe Biden says that “fighting inflation” is his “top economic priority” (though he shows less inclination to tighten fiscal policy).

Public apathy towards central banking may be a backhanded compliment to the policymakers of the 1980s and 1990s. No one needed to care about inflation when it was low. Today’s policymakers are constrained by that very success. To get inflation expectations back down, then, they may need to try everything in their power to get people to sit up and listen.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Can someone good at math explain what federal fiscal budgets have to do with consumer price inflation.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The current economic situation has nothing to do with central banks and everything to do with supply shocks/supply chain breakdown, and greed. We're still dealing with the effects of supply chain fuckery dating back to 2020, and it's being compounded by things like China doing periodic lockdowns and the Ukraine War. It's raising the cost of everything, and the Fed raising interest rates is going to just make this worse and probably cause a recession, since the causes of inflation are almost entirely out of the hands of the Fed's reach. I am very nervous about the Fed causing a stagflation spiral by raising rates so fast, which is more than likely going to trigger a recession. Of course the Fed and a lot of the people who support raising interest rates are mostly trying to argue that higher wages are a major cause of inflation, but these issues have been going on before wages generally increased for people, and inflation has more than overtaken any wage gains made in the last 2 or so years.

FlamingLiberal fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Jun 21, 2022

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
God they will just torpedo the entire planet before giving people a raise, huh

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I definitely, absolutely believe they're trying to get the inflation rate down but also that the only tool they're interested in using is depressing wages, which is something they themselves have also said, so yes I expect they will keep going up on account of everybody in the Fed being Austrian economics idiots

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Mendrian posted:

Can someone good at math explain what federal fiscal budgets have to do with consumer price inflation.

monetary policy tends to be viewed through the lens of inflation, fiscal policy less so, though fiscal policy does occasionally get a mention

the case study i've seen cited the most is us deficit spending to fund the vietnam war in the late 60's and early 70's (many will often point to the great society, but it paled in comparison to the outlays for the war). at a few points war expenditures peaked at over 9% of gdp. this money being pushed into the domestic defense industry encouraged expansion, which tightened the labor market, which increased wages, which increased labor costs, which increased prices, which drove labors demand for higher wages, ad nauseum, setting the stage for the rampant inflation in the 70's and 80's

this ignores things like the supply chain shocks that followed the rise of opec and the revolution in iran. the focus of the narrative always tends towards keeping consumers and wage earners desperate

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

some plague rats posted:

To lighten the mood, I was reading one of the bad threads and I ran across this extremely darkly funny excerpt from Yesterday's Man:

Joe Biden had never once passed up a chance to have his wallet inspected, has he

Honestly incredible. It's not a surprise to me that Biden considers politics be nothing more than a game played with people's lives, but I'm still shocked at how loving bad he is at playing the game.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

A big flaming stink posted:

Honestly incredible. It's not a surprise to me that Biden considers politics be nothing more than a game played with people's lives, but I'm still shocked at how loving bad he is at playing the game.

eh you're confusing the win conditions of politics with getting stuff done. you win in politics by getting elected to progressively higher office

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

The current economic situation has nothing to do with central banks and everything to do with supply shocks/supply chain breakdown, and greed. We're still dealing with the effects of supply chain fuckery dating back to 2020, and it's being compounded by things like China doing periodic lockdowns and the Ukraine War. It's raising the cost of everything, and the Fed raising interest rates is going to just make this worse and probably cause a recession, since the causes of inflation are almost entirely out of the hands of the Fed's reach. I am very nervous about the Fed causing a stagflation spiral by raising rates so fast, which is more than likely going to trigger a recession. Of course the Fed and a lot of the people who support raising interest rates are mostly trying to argue that higher wages are a major cause of inflation, but these issues have been going on before wages generally increased for people, and inflation has more than overtaken any wage gains made in the last 2 or so years.

This is the plan. The Fed is saying it is the plan. Biden is on board. The recent FOMC forecast numbers are stagflation numbers.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The global economy is going to be less global going forward. Companies are moving away from horizontal international supply chains and towards vertical integration and more regional supply chains.

This is less efficient and everything will cost more.

To stop inflation they’ll raise rates to cause demand destruction which isn’t working so far. Because it’s service demand bring destroyed. But all the other countries are also raising rates and capital is moving back into the states. This is to say raising rates will eventually cause overseas demand destruction too. It will stop inflation eventually but this is all very very bad. And more bad for places that aren’t the US.

Koos Group
Mar 6, 2013

I REFUSE TO BAN GENOCIDE DENIAL IN MY SUBFORUM BECAUSE I BELIEVE PEOPLE SHOULD DEBATE THE GENOCIDE DENIERS INSTEAD

I ALSO REPORTED MY TITLE FOR SAYING I IGNORE PMS, VIOLATING D&D RULE II.2.B AS I DIDN'T CITE A SOURCE, THEN DID NOT PAY MONEY TO REWRITE IT BECAUSE I AM UNDER PROTECTION OF THE ADMINS AND I DO NOT IGNORE PMS

THANK YOU FOR YOUR CONTINUED SUPPORT OF THE FORUMS BY PURCHASING AVATARS FOR ME

some plague rats posted:

While that is an entertaining anecdote, please stick to current events.

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug
Everyone I know has told me that the inflation is because Biden gave people $1400 and heaped lavish unemployment benefits on them during peak Covid.

How come no one I know has suggested that maybe the recent housing and stock market bubbles that created zillions of dollars in fake wealth out of nothing has something to do with it.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Number_6 posted:

Everyone I know has told me that the inflation is because Biden gave people $1400 and heaped lavish unemployment benefits on them during peak Covid.

How come no one I know has suggested that maybe the recent housing and stock market bubbles that created zillions of dollars in fake wealth out of nothing has something to do with it.

Because they are the beneficiaries of this fake wealth and they will blame free money on problems just like people blame homelessness on monetary issues. There's 1600 homeless people in my city of 200,000 and they are blamed for everything and describes as "living it big and happy in their encampments" it's loving annoying and your people are just as corrupted.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Number_6 posted:

“The problem is poor people being wastrels” is a fiction as old as time to make sure the rich get richer. Hell, during the last gilded age the likes of Carnegie said his wealth was a social good because he would spend it on libraries and schools instead of being frittered away by the poor.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Number_6 posted:

Because there's an absolute fuckton of money being spent to make sure the have that belief. Propaganda works

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Koos Group posted:

While that is an entertaining anecdote, please stick to current events.

With respect, that post seems to be highly relevant context to current events. At least I found it to be and appreciated the detail.

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...
Reporting in from the northeast: yesterday I was mulching outside a bank (which was closed as teenth was on sunday) and got to hear five or so people exclaim "what the gently caress" finding it closed, and then further "are you loving kidding me?!?!" upon learning about juneteenth. It was hard to keep my mouth shut, but I do have to have some sense while wearing company colors.

Also just walking about I heard random other work crews bitching or chortling about the "holiday - can you believe this bullshit!?"

I'm genuinely surprised at how awful people are and it's hard not to go full misanthrope in the face of poo poo like that.

I do think things like the holiday or forms of representation, while important to affected groups, aren't far from the entirely performative gesturing corporations and politicians will do. If people yesterday were complaining in that sense it would be so much more tolerable. No, though, just selfish ignorant reactionary outrage because they were mildly inconvienanced and didn't read or listen to news at all apparently. Step two is determining its because of the "other" (blacks? Democrats?!?) and then loudly bitching to signal/dog whistle so your pathetic rear end can feel both wronged and part of something.

This culture war insanity is part of the reason I can no longer see political solutions. I know things have been a lot worse in the past but drat it sure feels like we're backsliding.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

BRJurgis posted:

Reporting in from the northeast: yesterday I was mulching outside a bank (which was closed as teenth was on sunday) and got to hear five or so people exclaim "what the gently caress" finding it closed, and then further "are you loving kidding me?!?!" upon learning about juneteenth. It was hard to keep my mouth shut, but I do have to have some sense while wearing company colors.

Also just walking about I heard random other work crews bitching or chortling about the "holiday - can you believe this bullshit!?"

I'm genuinely surprised at how awful people are and it's hard not to go full misanthrope in the face of poo poo like that.

I do think things like the holiday or forms of representation, while important to affected groups, aren't far from the entirely performative gesturing corporations and politicians will do. If people yesterday were complaining in that sense it would be so much more tolerable. No, though, just selfish ignorant reactionary outrage because they were mildly inconvienanced and didn't read or listen to news at all apparently. Step two is determining its because of the "other" (blacks? Democrats?!?) and then loudly bitching to signal/dog whistle so your pathetic rear end can feel both wronged and part of something.

This culture war insanity is part of the reason I can no longer see political solutions. I know things have been a lot worse in the past but drat it sure feels like we're backsliding.

It's the American way of life; sheer outrage at anything that causes you a minor inconvenience.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.

IT BURNS posted:

It's the American way of life; sheer outrage at anything that causes you a minor inconvenience.
You'd think they'd be either:
a) Happy to have the day off.
b) Pissed that their employer is not giving them the day off.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

BRJurgis posted:

Exact same thing in the South East. I didn't know the banks were closed myself and ran into a few people spouting similar sentiments to the ones you heard when I went to go in. What a dumb thing to get upset about. There's, what, two Holidays honoring black people? MLK and this one? For a race of people who built this loving country for free and against their will.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

BRJurgis posted:

Getting an extra day off every year in perpetuity is probably the best thing Biden has done and the fact that it ends up simultaneously educating and bothering some of the worst people in the country is just a bonus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

cat botherer posted:

You'd think they'd be either:
a) Happy to have the day off.
b) Pissed that their employer is not giving them the day off.

That's not how americans think, alas.

We are very much the gently caress You Got Mine society and that extends to virtually all expressions of culture.