Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Gumball Gumption posted:

Why should we accept a system that allows human rights to be stripped away no matter how they're stripped?

Because it's the current system we have, and we aren't getting a different one without a civil war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Twincityhacker posted:

Because it's the current system we have, and we aren't getting a different one without a civil war.

Ok, yeah that's probably going to be the outcome. I've read enough history to see what happens when you turn up the big oppression dial. Trying to hold the center together as it all comes apart has never worked yet through human history but maybe we've figured it out this time.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
"We only had 3 months of majority! We only had 2 months of warning that roe was doomed!"

Think of what the GOP achieved just this week. Religious schools stuck on the public money pipeline. State gun laws nixed from above. Abortion ended.

And.....

-drum roll-

https://twitter.com/NoLieWithBTC/status/1540339880626102273

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

TyrantWD posted:

Polling indicates an outright GOP win. Sure it will be magnified by gerrymandering, but they are looking at a clear majority of the popular vote in November. Hard to argue that is not what the people want if that ends up as the result.

It's actually not at all hard to argue that it's not what people want, given that a huge chunk of eligible voters do not turn out to vote, especially in midterm elections.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War

TyrantWD posted:

If one of those 2 were guaranteed to win, then yes. It wouldn’t even be a question. 1 more life saved may not mean a lot to you, but I’d take that.

I think that’s horrible. All of those lives mean a lot to me and I wouldn’t participate in a system where I have to vote for one monster over another.

Twincityhacker posted:

Where do you think Medicare and Medicaid came from, the loving sky? No, it was direct action and voting!

Off the top of my head, the lovely compromise infurstructure bill is going to make sure that La Crosse, Wiscosin isn't going to flood every time they get more than a light rain. And that's only one project of of thousands that will materially affect people's lives.

Would it have been better if Build Back Better was actually passed? Yeah, but saying that what did pass isn't going to improve people's lives at all is stuipd.

How long will it take for that project to get done or have the already completed it? Even then, while it will improve their lives, people are still dealing with inflation, high fuel prices, and their rights being stripped away. Biden is underwater in his approval rating for a reason. Shits bad and the Dems aren’t doing much

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Sephyr posted:

"We only had 3 months of majority! We only had 2 months of warning that roe was doomed!"

Think of what the GOP achieved just this week. Religious schools stuck on the public money pipeline. State gun laws nixed from above. Abortion ended.

And.....

-drum roll-

This is not new? Hasn't this been talked about since the opinion was released?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Crows Turn Off posted:

This is not new? Hasn't this been talked about since the opinion was released?

They didn’t go out and say it explicitly, they implied they could do it then sometimes explicitly said they wouldn’t.

Everyone knows what they mean but saying it already means they’re moving very very fast

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Is there ANY hope what so ever at this point? Because it sounds like they’re just gonna systematically dismantle all the gains we’ve had since the 1960s and continue past that until we regress to the era where women stay at home barefoot and pregnant bearing kids for men they don’t even like.

There is always hope. It just won't come from the parties and processes that we've been told all our lives to depend on. Instead, we have to find hope in radical mass action. Other countries have dealt with this exact same thing before, and they didn't handle it by pleading for their politicians to get off their asses and do something. They did it by getting out into the streets and threatening the people in power.

I can't stress this enough. Don't give into despair, because that's what they want you to do. But also recognize that the Democratic Party can only deliver false hope. They too want you to give in to despair (and then give them $15 and a vote to make it go away).

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

Sephyr posted:

And.....

-drum roll-

Oh for fucks sake…

All that did not just happen this week, you just found out about the decisions this week because that’s when they were released. Those decisions are the culmination of decades of deliberate action which yes, included a shitton of voting red.

Gros Tarla
Dec 30, 2008

As a Canadian, looking out, this loving sucks.

Is there anything I can do to help american women? Any organisation where I could host them as they get the procedure here, IDK?

In any case, Libération's front page today is something else, TW:

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Inverted Offensive Battle: Acupuncture Attacks Convert To 3D Penetration Tactics Taking Advantage of Deep Battle Opportunities

Oracle posted:

Oh for fucks sake…

All that did not just happen this week, you just found out about the decisions this week because that’s when they were released. Those decisions are the culmination of decades of deliberate action which yes, included a shitton of voting red.

Those voters voted red because they employed direct action and forced their party to become responsive to their preferences. Also they had a massive amount of billionaire cash behind them, which progressives regrettably do not.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Oracle posted:

Oh for fucks sake…

Do you think the dems didn’t know about what was coming down the pipeline before the American people? Are you defending that level of incompetence?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

Those voters voted red because they employed direct action and forced their party to become responsive to their preferences. Also they had a massive amount of billionaire cash behind them, which progressives regrettably do not.

Yeah that’s what needs to be done. But the problem is we also need to not become a fascist state too, which is a real danger in the near term.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
For some reason I went on conservative message boards just to see the reaction to this poo poo.

I love that people are like "They are not going to ban contraception, that's crazy!" like it can't happen to something they want.

Like our elected officials do anything for the people.

I am partially convinced it is going to happen at some point because 'states right', and then all it takes is a minuscule amount of cash from to get idiot politicians to make it a law, because corporations need their worker bees and people to buy poo poo. All because our counties birthrate is declining because it's too drat expensive to raise a kid on poo poo wages.

Ugh... I need to get off the Internet today and just cleanse this poo poo from my mind.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Yeah that’s what needs to be done. But the problem is we also need to not become a fascist state too, which is a real danger in the near term.

Yes, that is kind of the top priority, but here's the problem: can we keep that from happening by staying within the American two-party electoral system? Or is that a dead-end? I think it's a dead-end, and the only way out of this is by breaking out of our corrupt, sclerotic system.

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Astro7x posted:

For some reason I went on conservative message boards just to see the reaction to this poo poo.

Pal, I really hope you are actually getting off social media tonight because that is the doomscroll of all doomscrolls.

At least on SA we are agreeing on "people losing acess to abortion is bad" even if we disagree on what to do about it. =(

Fritz the Horse
Dec 26, 2019

... of course!
TIL many/most indigenous women already couldn't access abortion because IHS is subject to the Hyde amendment. So that's cool.

Big Slammu
May 31, 2010

JAWSOMEEE

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

You still haven't told me what the connection is between spring 2009 being busy and Obama explicitly surrendering on the codification of Roe in order to appease perceived anti-choice anger roughly six months after winning a landslide victory as a pro-choice candidate. Are you ever going to explain?

Dobbs v. Jackson: Thanks Obama

Twincityhacker
Feb 18, 2011

Majorian posted:

Yes, that is kind of the top priority, but here's the problem: can we keep that from happening by staying within the American two-party electoral system? Or is that a dead-end? I think it's a dead-end, and the only way out of this is by breaking out of our corrupt, sclerotic system.

That's an interesting question. Because while major political parties have disolved in the past a sucessor party was esentially chosen in a *very* small window and all those disolvings happened more than 160 years ago - the last being the creation of the Republican party just before the civil war.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018
Probation
Can't post for 13 hours!

Bar Ran Dun posted:

Well if a party acts to prevent that let me know because I’d vote for them

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Twincityhacker posted:

That's an interesting question. Because while major political parties have disolved in the past a sucessor party was esentially chosen in a *very* small window and all those disolvings happened more than 160 years ago - the last being the creation of the Republican party just before the civil war.

Yeah, it would be great if there was time for the Dems to fracture and dissolve AND for a new, competent, more-left-wing party were to form in its wake, all in time to prevent the Republicans from seizing full control of the government outside of the White House in November, but...I wouldn't hold my breath on that outcome, lol. So that's why I think our best chances lie in preparing for direct action: contribute to strike funds, donate to food banks, help organize workers into unions, and be prepared to help grind the U.S. economy to a screeching halt.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1540509529493872640?s=21&t=VVovdRoAyI7QcRDAQmvhTA

AOC wants Biden to open abortion clinics on federal land. If he’s unwilling to expand the court, then he should do this l. I doubt he’ll do anything other than tell people to vote, but this would be nice to see

whiskey patrol
Feb 26, 2003
How unprepared are the dems for this moment? This moment has been coming since 2016 and Garland's seat being stolen if you were paying attention and it's been obvious since ACB was installed to make Roberts no longer the controlling vote. How is there not a plan? How is Ginni Thomas not being made the face of the supreme court? How/why did Biden gently caress up the supreme court commission at the start of his term?

This isn't a surprise. Why is there no organized resistance happening now? You can spin up all sorts of conspiracy theories over this, but I think the simple explanation is that it's just not a priority. It's a fund raising pitch - nothing to break :decorum: on.

And even before - there has been little resistance to the slow chipping away at abortion rights at the state level. If you aren't making things a priority, they don't get done and this fight has been lost becuase one side made it a priority and one side didn't. Based on the recent primary season, it's still not a priority for the democratic party. I don't see how they are an effective vehicle for change until they offer something different (including in other areas like trans rights which they seem ready to jettison).
We are passed the damage control stage and need to actively make things better - not just slow the decline.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Majorian posted:

America is a dead end

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

That’s much much more dangerous than you think though. We could be much much worse than we are. I’m not sure most people get the scope of what we could do as a truly bad actor in the world.

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Get used to this

https://twitter.com/az_rww/status/1540544199056949249?s=21&t=2o5grLJ4YVlIFOqGDEwmcQ

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

theCalamity posted:

https://twitter.com/ohheyjenna/status/1540509529493872640?s=21&t=VVovdRoAyI7QcRDAQmvhTA

AOC wants Biden to open abortion clinics on federal land. If he’s unwilling to expand the court, then he should do this l. I doubt he’ll do anything other than tell people to vote, but this would be nice to see

Not clear how that’s possible without an act of Congress.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Bar Ran Dun posted:

That’s much much more dangerous than you think though. We could be much much worse than we are. I’m not sure most people get the scope of what we could do as a truly bad actor in the world.

It seems pretty likely to me that by continuing the "VBNMW" strategy and trusting in the Democratic Party to defend our rights, we're still going to end up with the worst-case scenario: a fascist America. We are already a truly bad actor in the world - there are ways in which we could be worse, but we'll probably hit those targets once the Republicans consolidate full control over the government anyway. So we need to be prepared to take a chance and try something new when the old strategy has failed us time after time.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Discendo Vox posted:

So make Congress act. Enough with the legal nihilism.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Bar Ran Dun posted:

for example, we might spend seventy years taking over Imperial Russia's former position as the official Backstop of Reaction, only global this time instead of limited to the european theatre, and also we can literally push a button that will end human civilization if it looks like we start losing

who knows how many people we would butcher, in the name of seeing our retrograde ideology made manifest

got some bad news for you friend, we're already there.

B B
Dec 1, 2005

theCalamity posted:

Yeah, AOC has been really on message tonight. She's one of the few elected officials offering a viable path forward:

https://mobile.twitter.com/demisatyr/status/1540352708523196416

Dunite
Oct 12, 2013

Call the service, National Forests "Get some Nature and Nuture"

Rigel
Nov 11, 2016

Discendo Vox posted:

This sounded weird enough to look into, especially since AOC called for it. She's usually pretty careful about not making illegal or unworkable demands without checking with her staff.

As weird as it sounds, according to what I'm reading Biden might actually be able to make abortion services available on Federal land without anything needed from congress and there could possibly be nothing that the states can do to stop it (well, until in a 6-3 decision...)

Its not a permanent solution since obviously that poo poo gets shut down if the GOP wins in 2024, but in the meantime this should be explored.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

John Kasich posted:

I'm also not sure I can think of a better time to codify Roe than during a massive healthcare overhaul, since abortion is healthcare.

And instead, the ACA created more barriers to abortion through Obama's deal with the devil.

quote:

On March 21, 2010, Stupak made a deal with Obama whereby he and his bloc of Democrats would vote for the final bill if Obama signed an executive order barring federal funding of abortion under the bill.[28] The deal resulted in the final bill being passed in the House by a vote of 219–212.[29] The deal was condemned by both advocates and opponents of abortion rights.[30]

Single-payer would be the easiest way to deal with reproductive health, as Sanders pointed out in his campaigns.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

Willa Rogers posted:

And instead, the ACA created more barriers to abortion through Obama's deal with the devil.

Single-payer would be the easiest way to deal with reproductive health, as Sanders pointed out in his campaigns.

god. remember back during the primaries, when Joe Biden claimed he planned to support expanding Obamacare, and also that he was going to cure cancer

did that idea die the split second he won the primaries, or did he issue any lip service to it on the campaign trail

B B
Dec 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/VP/status/1540477371500863490

Glad to see the President of the Senate doing everything in her power to protect abortion rights.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.

B B posted:

Yeah, AOC has been really on message tonight. She's one of the few elected officials offering a viable path forward:

https://mobile.twitter.com/demisatyr/status/1540352708523196416

Lmao, I've seen enough.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Majorian posted:

It seems pretty likely to me that by continuing the "VBNMW" strategy and trusting in the Democratic Party to defend our rights, we're still going to end up with the worst-case scenario: a fascist America. We are already a truly bad actor in the world - there are ways in which we could be worse, but we'll probably hit those targets once the Republicans consolidate full control over the government anyway. So we need to be prepared to take a chance and try something new when the old strategy has failed us time after time.

It’s probably too late. They had to act and they didn’t get enough of the senate. Any sort of movement to force them to change will take longer than needed.

Now it’s chance and circumstance that things will turn on.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The Black Genocide/Planned Parenthood groups are being overlooked amongst everyone else but they are crowing about this and their validation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Majorian posted:

Have you been this pessimistic since Biden took office?