Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should we post a poll every year?
This poll is closed.
Yes 4 44.44%
Yes 5 55.56%
Total: 9 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Vote Proposal: I propose we just use ESPN standard scoring for defenses, or some other system that actually consistently rewards defenses who make opponents score fewer points and gain fewer yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

pmchem posted:

Vote Proposal: I propose we just use ESPN standard scoring for defenses, or some other system that actually consistently rewards defenses who make opponents score fewer points and gain fewer yards.

Just to clarify, you'd want to change to the following with your proposal? This would not affect kick or punt return yards.

TEAM DEFENSE / SPECIAL TEAMS (D/ST)
Standard scoring:
· Kickoff Return TD = 6pts
· Punt Return TD = 6pts
· Interception Return TD = 6pts
· Fumble Return TD = 6pts
· Blocked Punt or FG return for TD = 6pts
· Each Interception = 2pts
· Each Fumble Recovered = 2pts
· Blocked Punt, PAT or FG = 2pts
· Each Safety = 2pts
· Each Sack = 1pts
· 0 points allowed = 5pts
· 1-6 points allowed = 4pts
· 7-13 points allowed = 3pts
· 14-17 points allowed = 1pts
· 18-27 points allowed = 0pts
· 28-34 points allowed = -1pts
· 35-45 points allowed = -3pts
· 46+ points allowed = -5pts

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 23:57 on May 31, 2023

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

yeah that'd be fine. I have a whole other setup in another espn league but their standard scoring is 'ok'.

in this league I think the passes defensed points and return yards can lead to weird outcomes, like a team getting 50 hung on them in a blowout loss but they got a lot of passes defensed and kickoff return yards so hey it ends up they're the top scoring d/st of the week. because those bonuses don't get offset by some kind of negative points for yards or points scored

so whatever it takes to resolve that

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill the punter position and remove from the league the person who suggested it.

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill DST and add one IDP position in its place. ESPN standard IDP scoring.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

pmchem posted:

yeah that'd be fine. I have a whole other setup in another espn league but their standard scoring is 'ok'.

in this league I think the passes defensed points and return yards can lead to weird outcomes, like a team getting 50 hung on them in a blowout loss but they got a lot of passes defensed and kickoff return yards so hey it ends up they're the top scoring d/st of the week. because those bonuses don't get offset by some kind of negative points for yards or points scored

so whatever it takes to resolve that

IIRC, the kick and return yards are credited to the player, not the DST in ESPN, at least what I remember from a while back (I could be wrong though). But changing the scoring to standard in our system would basically remove the passes defensed like you mention and revert the "points allowed" points to the standard as we have most of the other defaults already (sacks, INTs, etc).

Edit: Looking at it again, I see where I get confused. If we did revert to ESPN standard DST scoring, we'd remove the punter/kicker yards from the team defense but KEEP it on the Miscellaneous part. That allows RBs/WRs that return kickoffs/punt returns to have a bit more value (although with the new kickoff rules, that may diminish anyway).

jabro posted:

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill the punter position and remove from the league the person who suggested it.

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill DST and add one IDP position in its place. ESPN standard IDP scoring.

Added both of yours, but there is no standard ESPN IDP scoring. If you want to propose a scheme, that's fine, or we can do like we did for punters and see if it passes and if it does, then we define it.

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 1, 2023

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Silly Burrito posted:

My thought is that we have a rule that says if a game is unexpectedly cancelled and is NOT replayed, the final fantasy scores stand as is. It obviously sucks for those who have players in those games, but barring some sort of substitution rule (for example, your highest bench player that qualifies for the position gets the points), it's probably the fairest way to go. But obviously, I'd love to hear what you all think.

Adding this as a proposal as well since this hit us last year: If a game is unexpectedly cancelled and is NOT replayed, the final fantasy scores stand as is.

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Silly Burrito posted:

IIRC, the kick and return yards are credited to the player, not the DST in ESPN, at least what I remember from a while back (I could be wrong though). But changing the scoring to standard in our system would basically remove the passes defensed like you mention and revert the "points allowed" points to the standard as we have most of the other defaults already (sacks, INTs, etc).

Edit: Looking at it again, I see where I get confused. If we did revert to ESPN standard DST scoring, we'd remove the punter/kicker yards from the team defense but KEEP it on the Miscellaneous part. That allows RBs/WRs that return kickoffs/punt returns to have a bit more value (although with the new kickoff rules, that may diminish anyway).

Added both of yours, but there is no standard ESPN IDP scoring. If you want to propose a scheme, that's fine, or we can do like we did for punters and see if it passes and if it does, then we define it.

This looks fine to me but can get a consensus if it passes.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

jabro posted:

This looks fine to me but can get a consensus if it passes.

Thanks. We'd have to modify it slightly to fit the ESPN IDP scoring categories if it passes but we can address that as necessary.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Silly Burrito posted:

yeah I think it's not working like you thought it was working. return yards in 2022 absolutely were credited to the D/ST. see this scoring breakdown for the finals:
https://fantasy.espn.com/football/boxscore?leagueId=524484&matchupPeriodId=17&scoringPeriodId=17&seasonId=2022&teamId=6&view=scoringperiod

the giants (among other D/ST's) very explicitly got KR10 points credited

if you want it for players but not team D/ST's it needs to only be in misc, not the team d/st category settings

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

pmchem posted:

yeah I think it's not working like you thought it was working. return yards in 2022 absolutely were credited to the D/ST. see this scoring breakdown for the finals:
https://fantasy.espn.com/football/boxscore?leagueId=524484&matchupPeriodId=17&scoringPeriodId=17&seasonId=2022&teamId=6&view=scoringperiod

the giants (among other D/ST's) very explicitly got KR10 points credited

if you want it for players but not team D/ST's it needs to only be in misc, not the team d/st category settings

Fair enough. If we do revert, that's how it will be.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm in for next season and I'm flipping my vote from pro-punter to anti-punter entirely because of residual bitterness from that win I lost because there was a 4.5 point correction on like Tuesday

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

I'm in for next season and I'm flipping my vote from pro-punter to anti-punter entirely because of residual bitterness from that win I lost because there was a 4.5 point correction on like Tuesday

Live by the punt, die by the punt.

darkwolf220
May 14, 2009

SOON :stare:

If we are reverting the defensive scoring scheme:

Vote proposal: I propose that we... Eliminate negative points in the D/ST position.

Far too often the D/ST position loses points because the offense on their team is so bad that the defense is constantly on the field. Your fantasy team full of stars should not have to deal with the overall weakness of a team made up of not-all stars. Also the possibility of a negative outcome keeps managers from rostering D/STs in late games. Rostering nobody a) should never be the right answer and b) feels unsportsmanlike

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

I like the current D/ST settings because they make the position relevant instead dof an afterthought. If we ditch them I'd rather just go without D/ST.

Bare minimum if people feel they need adjusting, there is still some room to make them more useful than tight ends #6-20, which I feel like I never hear a peep about.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I'd rather just eliminate DST entirely because its tedious, high variance, and boring-yet-impactful.

Just like kickers.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

I'm going to add darkwolf's proposal as a contingent on pmchem's proposal (#4) passing. Quiet Feet or AAAAA! Real Muenster, if you want to make a counter proposal official, please do so.

Going to try to keep it all straight as best as I can.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill DST (outright, no adding IDP in its place)

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Vote Proposal: I propose we.... kill DST (outright, no adding IDP in its place)

Thanks, added. If #5 and #8 both pass, we'll effectively have an IDP position, so unless there's a better way to word it, vote accordingly.

5. Remove DST and add one IDP position in its place. (yes/no)
8. Remove DST, add nothing (yes/no)

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

darkwolf220 posted:

If we are reverting the defensive scoring scheme:

Vote proposal: I propose that we... Eliminate negative points in the D/ST position.

Far too often the D/ST position loses points because the offense on their team is so bad that the defense is constantly on the field. Your fantasy team full of stars should not have to deal with the overall weakness of a team made up of not-all stars. Also the possibility of a negative outcome keeps managers from rostering D/STs in late games. Rostering nobody a) should never be the right answer and b) feels unsportsmanlike

I'm fine with this in a 20-team league, will support.

Every position is high variance compared to QBs in a 20-team league so I think we should keep DST's, and TEs, and punters.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

you talkin' to me Sheriff?

oh... I thought you was talkin' to me.

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

Quiet Feet posted:

I like the current D/ST settings because they make the position relevant instead dof an afterthought. If we ditch them I'd rather just go without D/ST.

Bare minimum if people feel they need adjusting, there is still some room to make them more useful than tight ends #6-20, which I feel like I never hear a peep about.

I agree with this entirely. Keep the DST as is or completely cut it.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

pmchem posted:

I'm fine with this in a 20-team league, will support.

Every position is high variance compared to QBs in a 20-team league so I think we should keep DST's, and TEs, and punters.

They already currently can't go negative. That's the majority of their appeal.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

EconDad posted:

They already currently can't go negative. That's the majority of their appeal.

current scoring would be ok if return yardage points was scrapped (an admitted mistake!) and passes defended was cut way way down

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS

pmchem posted:

current scoring would be ok if return yardage points was scrapped (an admitted mistake!) and passes defended was cut way way down

I wouldn't mind those changes.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I'm pro-negative D/ST points

Pain of Mind
Jul 10, 2004
You are receiving this broadcast as a dream...We are transmitting from the year one nine... nine nine ...You are receiving this broadcast in order t
Here is my post from before last season:

Pain of Mind posted:

The thing I don't like about the defensive scoring at the moment is that they are too consistently high scoring. It would be one thing if only good defenses were putting up points equal to a RB1/WR1, but even garbage defenses are putting up more points than most RBs and WRs that people are starting. I tediously went through last years points by team (since for whatever reason the player list would only show players not on a roster) and came away with this:

code:
Rank	D	RB	WR
1	300	353	367
5	256	239	264
10	241	208	221
15	221	189	201
20	206	178	187
That is the points for the players at those ranks last year in our league. Outside of literally the top few players at a position and QBs, even bad defenses will outscore the majority of the first and second round picks.

EconDad
Jul 20, 2013

THOSE DAMN ENCHILADAS
The way the DST goes now... its this very important part of your team. You can sort of (I think) plan to pick up a specific "type" of DST and it helps you thrive.

It's all sort of a matter of perspective and whether you want DST to "matter" or "not". If you lean in to what the DST currently is, it can actually help you a lot, I've found. Maybe I've just been lucky for the first three years I've played, but it seems like there are typecast DST's that you want here -- and it's not the same sort of "rules" to who is who... as is true in typical leagues.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Last call for any proposals for next year. I’ll probably reboot the thread this weekend.

New thread up soon, please vote when you return. Thanks!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4034960

Silly Burrito fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Jun 27, 2023