Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
A Slap his stupid nihilistic arguments, rather than his stupid nihilistic face.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Beat his rear end

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Wow, I loved all that.
B

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
A is for Amazing :allears:

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
B Clip him upside the earhole

He's not gonna be convinced by you explaining why they are doing the thing because he would surely already know from him getting on the project in the first place, and he's already vandalized it so he clearly isn't going to be swayed by you explaining it again.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Any scientist with the right background can brew his own booze.

What do you mean electrolytes aren't used for brewing booze? That's silly!

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer
Whee old person murder self-defense.

A, given how I sorta feel Chirp has put themselves on the path to just getting beat down regardless, continuously, forever, going against the grain of ages.

And a condescending lecture at this point may be equally likely to lead to more old person self-defense, only with marginally less justification.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
A. Gotta maintain that moral high ground. It probably won't convince Chirp, but slapping him isn't likely to convince him either (and invites retaliation).

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
A.

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
B is for beatings, until Chirp's morale improves

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Voting is closed. I thank you in advance for your patience waiting for the next installment.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Also, you people wasted your chance to slap Chirp, what are you even doing?

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Well when all you have are chunks of TNE and an overly large water ration, all the world looks like a still!
Grimey Drawer

Scribbleykins posted:

Chirp has put themselves on the path to just getting beat down regardless, continuously, forever, going against the grain of ages

I said my piece. :colbert:

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Result: A

Nibelle takes a good, thorough look at Chirp's petulant figure. Thinking long and hard, and then, finally, she sighs, deeply. "...You are too obsessed with Oneder. Its not healthy for you, Chirp, and its warping your viewpoint."

Chirp pouts. "First you say I'm not getting us there fast enough, and now you say I'm taking my job too seriously? Make up your mind already."

"And there you are wrong. What you call 'the job' was never taking us to Oneder. The job is the completion of the Great Work. The realization of Promise."

"Bah." Chirp scoops another wingful of grubs into his maw. "That's a funny way of putting it. You keep splitting things down into nonsense, leading people into a maze made of words. Going to Oneder is what we are really doing."

"...I swear, you have such gaps in your understanding. Its almost as if your parents never brought you to attend a Reading when you were young."

"I stuck to the books about structural engineering for the most part."

"You must have skipped most of the pages to avoid learning why the field exists, then."

Nibelle takes a breath. And then, her voice flows. It dances! Each syllable sparkling with beauty.

quote:

Listen, Shiverm, Maraqueet and Squild. People of ice, neon and ink, people of the harsh lands. Listen.

Listen, Obey, and I shall give you kindness.

You suffer as Age and Injustice wring life from your veins - but Together, Obedient, you may overcome.

I shall teach you to build. They shall be beautiful, effective and useful buildings. But it cannot stand if you listen to many voices.

Follow but my words, and do not listen to Gratur, who has no mind for completion.

He wishes to be immortal, but as simple and two-parted as he is, he remains but a mortal.

Now listen! I have a Great Work for you, and with it comes a Great Blessing.

You, I have granted Artistry and Craftmanship. You, I have raised by mine own hands above the common creatures of the world.

But in that place, far in the night sky, there is another land.

Between here and that land, which is Oneder, is the wide gulf, the great expanse of Promise.

Each of you are tied to you places of Something, and to move you from here to there is a task beyond your understanding, even for the gods.

So it falls upon you, and your children, and your children's children.

To bridge that gap.

And in doing so your worth shall win you the greatest of blessings, Life Everlasting.

-<S Thus spoke Pantocrat

...That concludes Nibelle's Reading. Her voice is back to her usual calm tones. "Oneder is an anchor. Twomb is an anchor. They only exist so that Flickerfare may exist, and take us to the Between."

"Flickerfare is our world. It is there that we will build our true lives. The creatures inhabiting Oneder have no bearing on us. We shall judge their merit once the time comes."

"We shall ascend to the endless plains of Promise. Free to journey without bonds."

"Rather than animals of Something, we shall become the people of Everything."

"...You claim to have more accurate answers? Some better informed knowledge of our history?"

Chirp takes a swig from his flask. "No, but I'm familiar with the clear sea scrolls. Old texts, so similar to the modern teachings, yet so different. At the advent of written language people started writing down their folklore, producing numerous different versions of history from different oral traditions. In particular there are many divergent versions of the speeches given by Pantocrat, all clearly from the same source, all somewhat different in their wording and implications. From the look of it, it was a real hubbub of disagreements until Noble oversaw the compilation of the official record of history. He was the only one who had seen it. That's the only source we have, what he still remembered centuries after the fact."

"Again, I swear..." Nibelle, quite fed up by now, goes on. "I didn't take you for one of those paranoid skeptics. The fools who claim that Noble invented the scriptures himself, in order to unify the peoples of-"

"I did not say that!!!" Chirp practically screams, alarming the other people in the VIP stands.

"Now you listen! You can call me a corrupt piece of poo poo, but you DO NOT put words in my mouth! I am saying that we have no way of knowing how accurate our records of the ancient history are, that's all! I'm not some idiot that doubts the existence of gods!"

"So rather, what you are saying, is that the Great Work, it's very concept and premise, could be the result of mistranslation? I do admit, the work of a librarian is often the work of interpretation. Sorting through what information remains, and making the best conclusions we can. Mistakes happen. Mistakes, but not outright farce. You imply that in the process of sorting through the stories and memories muddled by centuries of time, Noble might have invented, or accepted, a fabrication on the scale of the Great Work? No. That is impossible. The details might have shifted, but not the Promise. Such things are not simply forgotten."

Chirp shies away from Nibelle's gaze. "...Whatever." He takes another swig. "But my point stands. Even if Pantocrat really promised us immortality, we have no idea if thats actually true."

"Get to your point." Nibelle groans. "What, do you think that a god would lie to us? For what reason exactly?"

"What I am saying is..." Chirp mutters.

"That when the gods actually do something, we aren't left wondering whether it really happened."

"We don't need to imagine that we are seeing fighters in the Arisaurna. And within the confines of Taj Meltheal, we don't need to grit our beaks and pretend that the surgery doesn't hurt."

"We only need to lie to ourselves when we say that what we are doing is anything other than simply building a road to Oneder. That something miraculous is going to happen Ages and Ages after Pantocrat already died. If he couldn't even prevent his own end then I doubt that he could undo ours."

Nibelle casts a sidelong glance at Chirp. "So cause and effect need to be right next to each other for you to comprehend them? I apologize, I thought that the lack of progress at Flickerfare was due to your selfish decisions, but maybe you have really been trying your best, but you've had a hard time with the concept of planning ahead. Weird, architecture usually involves making choices years before their fulfillment."

"Look at who's talking..." Chirp mutters. "We all do the best we can. No one can truly plan for the future, to plan for the unknown. Not even your precious Pantocrat. Even if he intended to help us, we know well that the gods are fallible. It could be that he hosed up. I've read that one book. Real eye opening to think that a god could be such a poor writer."

"...It could be that Pantocrat 'hosed up', as you say, yes." Nibelle digs around. "But even in doing so, he was fulfilling his purpose."

She produces a coin from somewhere. "I'm going to flip this coin. Tell me, what side do you think its going to land on?"

Chirp shrugs. "There's no way to know. Fifty fifty odds."

"No. Its going to land on the only side it could have landed on."

Its going to land heads.

Nibelle flips the coin. "Had we measured the position, velocity and angular velocity of the coin with sufficent precision, along with enviromental factors, we could tell the end result before it even happened."

"All uncertainty rises only from our ignorance. So it is in matters as small as flipping a coin, as it is in ones as large as the fate of two worlds."

I told you so.

"There is only one path, one course of events. Every state follows from the last. What will happen at the end was decided the moment that the first state was set. The future has already been chosen."

Chirp rolls his flask around in his grip. "...You refer to the Overgod. The totality of everything." He sneers. "How convenient for you, to have another, bigger god to hide behind."

"Drop the act already, Chirp. You are not nearly as uncultured as you pretend to be. Tell me, what is your reason for rejecting the existence of the Plan? Really, tell me honestly."

Chirp takes another swig, and spends a long while staring at the empty Arisaurna, in hopes that another duel would begin. It doesn't happen.

Finally, he speaks.

"...I'm a natural philosopher at heart."

"I do not reject the possibility of the Plan. That everything has already been decided. As much as I hate it, it seems all too plausible for me."

"What I do not believe in, is that the Plan is for our benefit."

He swings a wing. "Look at the world around you. At all the suffering and injustice. At the children dying in their mothers' caress! At all the broken dreams. Our happiness was not a factor considered when the Plan was made."

While Chirp struggles to put together a retort, Nibelle continues. "We are the chosen people. We are the ones with a path to eternity. Difficult as the road may be at times, it is for our benefit now, and in the future. Challenges exist to weed out those who would not commit theirselves to the cause."

"Or can you deny that? Can you deny that in the Plan, Twomb is clearly the side designed to prosper?"

"...Shut up!" Chirp snaps.

Nibelle goes on. "Our part is not always easy, don't take me wrong, but our difficulties serve a purpose. With each challenge surmounted, we progress."

"It is our duty to rise up to the challenge, to prove our ability, to prove that we are still here, still alive."

"It is our duty to accept the trials that the gods set before us, for with each challenge we learn and we grow."

"Duty..." Chirp mutters, his voice dripping with contempt.

"Duty, challenge, purpose, fate, destiny, meaning."

"Don't try to force any of that filth down my throat."

-----

gently caress them.

gently caress all of them.

If that dusty old librarian thinks that she has scored a some sort of win then she's sorely mistaken. What a waste of time! Rrgh! That's the last time Chirp attends to one of their 'polite invitations'. Some lackey can handle the negotiations from now on.

"I'm right. I've been right for a long time, and I'm not about to let anybody to tell me otherwise!" He yells to the night sky. To Oneder. He glares down at the buildings below. "...And if you think otherwise.... Well, I'm right here, come up and fight me, cowards." Unsteady, he leans at the wall. "...But you aren't going to. You know that you'd only end up like the others who have tried. Hahaha.... Librarians, and others... they're all talk. If they come knocking, well I'm ready for a fight. They'll never wring me out of my tower, hahaha....."

Cowards. Cowards and whiners the lot of them. They say that he's ruining the Flickerfare, when all he's doing is spending the funds on better things? "...You haven't seen the meaning of the word 'Ruin', morons..." He slurs to the wind. And then, a thought arises.

"...I could do some real damage if I set my mind to it."

He could do it. He could clear the ground floor, hand pick a team of excavators, and have them go to town on the foundations. Who would stop him? He has long since purged the team of any would-be whistleblowers. By the time the outsiders realized what was happening, the Flickerfare would already be collapsing. The whole drat thing coming down. Now wouldn't that be something. It took however many generations to get this far, but Chirp could rival that in one instant.

He'd be the most hated person alive, but hey, he's already old. Not much left to lose. Might as well set up the plan in advance, for the right time... It'd be worth it, if only for the looks on their faces as they are forced to rethink the path that they are following. To see them forced to find a new direction for-

-----

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

...And that is the last recovered page of the diary. Incomplete as it is, this record by an unnamed author is still an unique look into the events of the years ████████, as it is one of the only remaining accounts that goes into detail about the alleged crimes of an overseer that held sway over the Flickerfare at the time. The missing pages and the unconventional, rambling writing style make for a difficult read, but the book provides an interesting look into the daily life and societal conditions in an era of which frustratingly little is written.

During an interview, when questioned about her role in the riots of the time, the Hero Gelid claimed: "I don't recall much about that. I had more important things going on at the time. By the time I really took notice the whole thing had already passed." Her recollections are sparse, but largely match up with events described in the diary of the nameless janitor, lending the book a degree of historical credibility. For the most part.

To be taken less seriously is the description of the controversial overseer's death. This section is generally considered heavily metaphorical, reflective of the writer's personal beliefs, and not worth serious analysis. Even without going into the implausibility of the events described, and how the author could possibly have witnessed them, the tale also stands contested by another source: archived patient records. At the time, a person resembling the overseer is marked as getting hospitalized for liver cirrhosis. From what little we can glean from the documents, it seems he never recovered.

Nothing more of the story has survived.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Addendum:

Gratur:
A cryptic figure only mentioned once. Most likely someone whose importance was clear to the people of the time, probably a leader of a rival group that refused to heed the words of Pantocrat.

Plains of Promise: - Referred to by various names:
Vastness, Eons, Faraway Fields, Nothing, Everlasting Ice, Outer Tides, Ocean, Big Weird

Curator of History:
A person charged with making sure that records of past events are accurate.
Most of the job consists of ghost writing the memoirs of Heroes who don't feel like doing it themselves.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

ADAM, God of the Atom
HP: 1/2 (1/1 HP 'lost' in 'dawn of time event')

Emanating from divine signals scattered by a major genesis-event for Nowhere, a message in the form of music and neon filtered through the ethereal planes and slowly percolated into the dreams of those with the right Yearnings... those for finding Love in the chaotic struggles of existence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6i681VcRpA

> 1HP GOD-Remnant Magic: BLADE-HUNGERS-ABOVE gains HEAVENLY Trait!

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

Lux Anima posted:

> 1HP GOD-Remnant Magic: BLADE-HUNGERS-ABOVE gains HEAVENLY Trait!

unfortunately said Remnant is indisposed along with Wedge

But don't worry it's gotten weird

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Dog Kisser posted:

unfortunately said Remnant is indisposed along with Wedge

But don't worry it's gotten weird

Oho~! Suits me fine for forgetting I still had my ball in play... hm

How about 1HP Remnant: Heaven-Through-Beauty, or else the fun-dealer's choice!

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

Have the Squilb already forgotten the first, oldest promise?
A promise of wealth and power, a glorious empire backed by powers they barely could understand?
And what happened to the god making it, or the squilb that believed it?
Pantocrat wasn't the first to make lofty promises, and neither will they be the last.
The Krakink wait below as always, watching, remembering.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

Portrait of Gelid, suspected to have been drawn by one of the other Librarians at the time. God-touched, her features and colorations were unique but are quite possibly exaggerated by the artist. Similar reports of those who have seen her with their own eyes include unusually sharp mandibles and four spinal protrusions. Unknown Origin.

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
As stated on Discord, this intermission story was amazing and and the art lovely. Very well done, Jvie!

Chaosfeather posted:

Portrait of Gelid, suspected to have been drawn by one of the other Librarians at the time. God-touched, her features and colorations were unique but are quite possibly exaggerated by the artist. Similar reports of those who have seen her with their own eyes include unusually sharp mandibles and four spinal protrusions. Unknown Origin.

Speaking of lovely, this too! Glad to see Twomb's current Hero getting their share of attention.

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

Chaosfeather posted:

Nice. Its always fun to see peoples’ takes on the original minimalistic designs.

Scribbleykins posted:

As stated on Discord, this intermission story was amazing and and the art lovely. Very well done, Jvie!

And thanks, it was fun to do.
In particular I liked reading people’s justifications for their votes, which often drove things just as much as the votes themselves.
In particular Glacen’s rejection of Chirp’s way could have happened on far more quiet, even amicable terms, but there seemed to be more support for a direct approach.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

The Fae are such a nuisance, a group of people form a pest control group to bring their numbers down. posted:

Ladies and gentlemen, has this ever happened to you? You're peacefully strolling through the Victory Gardens, smelling the fragrant Glowses and savoring the tranquility, when suddenly, you're besieged by a swarm of mischievous Fae! They're buzzing around, giggling, and playing tricks on you, turning your serenity into utter chaos. Well, fear not, for we have the perfect solution to rid your life of these troublesome creatures!

Introducing Fae-Awae, the ultimate Fae extermination service that takes care of those pesky Picksies, devious Dinomes, and gurning Glacialopes once and for all! Our team of highly trained Fae hunters is here to bring you back your peace, sanity, and a well-deserved good night's sleep.

Now, you might be wondering, "Why should I trust Fae-Awae with such a delicate task?" Well, let us assure you, we take our mission very, very seriously. In fact, our team of experts has dedicated their lives to the study of Fae behavior, weaknesses, and countermeasures. We've delved into ancient tomes, deciphered secret texts, and even held a séance or two to gain the knowledge necessary to defeat these diminutive troublemakers.

Our arsenal of Fae tools is as impressive as it is unconventional. From tiny nets and specialized Snackreations to personalized eviction notices and Magical repellents, we've got it all. Our team is equipped with the latest in Fae-detector technology, allowing us to track down even the most elusive winged creatures. We'll leave no dinostone unturned, no Faengi un-sniffed, until your garden is Fae-free!

Now, we know what you're thinking. "Won't eliminating Fae upset the delicate balance of nature and invoke the wrath of Faeverland?" Not to worry, dear customer! Faerie Bane operates under strict regulations set forth by the Inter-Onderian Council of Quasi-Divine Creatures. We’re not going to worry about it, so neither should you!

So, if you're ready to take control of your garden, your home, and your sanity, call Fae-Away todae!

DECIDE posted:

A - Fae-Away is successful. There are unintended consequences.
B - Fae-Away is unsuccessful. There are unintended consequences.

Someone has stolen the Fae Key! A few Twombians try to solve the mystery of who took it before the thief solves the mystery of what box the key opens. posted:

Long ago, the trickster Goddess Fae had left behind a gift for the People of Twomb. A key - the Fae Key - to be used to open a mysterious, unknown container. Any and all may make the attempt, and the sole victor would be infused with a mysterious Magic trick. It was all very exciting sounding, but fearing that the Pixiesprint (as She named the contest) would interrupt the Great Work, it was decided that the Key be brought to Rinkjet for a methodical search.

This had been several generations past, and nothing had come of it. Oh, theories abounded, of course. Perhaps the Key had been meant to open the Fractal Garden before… someone had opened it from the inside… The Avatar of Silence and Chaos made no comment on the matter, as usual. Perhaps the Fae Key was a… Fake-y? This would not be a terrible surprise, given what the knew of the Goddess, apart from the fact that it being so obvious a surprise would have been… surprising. Maybe the container in question was buried somewhere in the bowels of the Flickerfare? Maybe the container was the Flickerfare itself, laden with the countless dead of Twomb!?

They had collectively decided not to even try that one.

All in all, they’d largely forgotten about it, and life had gone on. Until, one day, some poor librarian had noticed it was no longer on its plinth, and all hell had broken loose. Immediately the librarians - including the looming Avatar and the dourly exotic Gelid - swarmed around its allotted place and discussed when they’d last seen it. They had a hushed discussion and eventually narrowed down that none of them could guarantee they’d seen it since last week. Disaster! Why, anyone could be doing anything with it now, testing the Key without any sort of supervision! They needed to generate a committee, some sort of investigative body to solve this crime, perhaps some sort of meeting wherein they would discuss the several different methods they could use to begin to narrow down the-

DECIDE posted:

A- Rigorous committee meetings
B - Gelid takes Action
C - The Avatar takes Action
D - The Key is used by an unknown party

An old, scarred Onderian warrior seeks an old foe in hopes of finding an honorable death in the Arisaurna. posted:

The Ages War was over, they said. With the loss of Wedge all those years back, the Axefaces - sorry, the Aardiche - scattered. Over time, some of them came crawling back to polite society. They sure as hell weren’t welcome in Bigbox, but way up here in Haft-Upon-Mattockhorn things had always been a little looser, a little further from the war down south. Clatter was an old Plungerboa, and he felt wretched about it. About everything, now. His old bones felt brittle as Inkpane, and he knew he wasn’t the only one. Misery that the Drain came after the war should end, but that was the lot of the Plungerboa.

For oldsters like him, it was a slow degradation of what he’d always known, but for the youth? Growing up Drained? He hardly recognized them, now. They were restless, angry, and - worst of all - sought to get away from their families as soon as they could. The People of Pinball had survived only because they’d stuck together, had held firm as a pack all these Ages, and now these young folk just scattered like the Axefaces! What was the point of all that strife if generations later their way of life had been just…

Ah, what’s the use. He had trouble maintaining his anger. Or his focus. Or much of anything, now. He was scattered, too, some core drive that used to lead a younger man to challenge the world gone, now. The Drain, or just age? Impossible to know. He hadn’t met many old Plungerboa in his time. The War hadn’t allowed it, and now he had to make it up as he went along. Frankly, he was tired of it. All he had left was the Challenge.

See, there was a way, discovered in the closing phase of the War, to go up there, to that cold orb in the sky. It was said that you could go there and take the Challenge with another, and only one would come back. He knew it to be true. He’d done it once before.

Indescribable, he’d told People who’d asked him about it. A different world, glimpsed dimly as though faded Ink. A tower that scraped the sky, structures and lights and flying, alien creatures. And all of it blurring by so fast in the heat of battle. He’d slain his foe, watched their blood and his own mingle in the far-away soil - and then he was back. He’d regretted it ever since.

The only thing left was the Challenge. He was here, in Haft, at the end of his life, because he’d heard that a one-eyed Aardiche seen in the area. Chance, or something more? There couldn’t be many of them - hell, they had four eyes - and his old soul had leapt with a youthful blaze of vengeance at the memory. The bastard had taken his arm before he’d taken the blighter’s eyes. The sharpfaced bastard had eaten his drat arm! And now he was here, groping blindly through a market plaza, like nothing had ever happened.

He entered the plaza, shrieking. The chipped, pitted fiend wheeled in confusion, then anger, then horror, as Clatter pointed at him with his one remaining arm and shouted the incantation. “One-Eye, This Oneder ain’t big enough for the two of us, Partner!’

The world twisted around them, leaving them in the twilight darkness of another place. Clatter -

DECIDE posted:

A- Fought to kill!
B - Fought to die!
C - Just screamed in rage!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Mar 15, 2024

BraveLittleToaster
May 5, 2019
1B
2D
3C

Jvie
Aug 10, 2012

1A - Nothing can go wrong.
2B - Gelid hasn't had much action yet.
3A - You don't make the challenge and then half rear end it. Probably. Usually.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker
1A
2D
3C

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
This thread is rated AAA

Scribbleykins
Apr 29, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm a solid plan BBB.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
This thread approved by the ADA

Arcanuse
Mar 15, 2019

1A
2C
3C

e: avatar gon eat the key, explain nothing, leave

Arcanuse fucked around with this message at 05:21 on May 24, 2023

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
1B - You can't trick all the trickster-species... oh nononono.
2C - This is precisely why the Avatar has been working there so long.
3A - Intent is clear, here.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
1:A
2: A
3: C

Endless meetings, endless rage.

PepperedMoth
Apr 8, 2022

Less salt, more pepper.
1B - Can’t get rid of them that easily.
2B - Poor Gelid has probably been dying to do something other than library work--something that feels a little more hero-y.
3C - GRAAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

ACA

The Wandering Mage
Jul 22, 2010
1. A - Every action has an equal and opposite reaction
2. B - You can't spend this much time undermining a peaceful Avatar without wondering what the heck you're doing and also if there isn't literally anything else you could be doing.
3. C - A final rallying cry in the face of remorseless fate.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....
ADA

JBUA
Jun 18, 2022
B
D
B

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

1B, 2B, 3C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

A - Fae-Away is successful. There are unintended consequences. posted:

Fae-Awae was a runawae success. All around the major cities of Oneder, from Haft-Upon-Mattockhorn to Bigbox, all the way down to the loose conglomeration of groups down by what was now known as the Scab, the Fae-Awae Exterminators worked to clear populated areas of the pesky creatures. The world had seen more than enough chaos, thank you very much, and the peace and quiet left behind by their absence allowed People to stop and think for once. The Fae were driven into the wilderness, driven back towards their enclave in Faeverland, and the world was better for it!

Only… without the distraction provided by the Fae, the People did think. They looked at the wreckage of their world, they saw the horrible affliction of the Drain on the beleaguered Plungerboa, and looked up with superstitious fear at the orb in the sky. Twomb, the other world, spoken of with hushed whispers by those bathed in blood, by those Librarians who had seen alien messages transferred from their own branch. In the vacuum left by the playful uncertainty cast by the Fae, a very certain malaise crouched upon the People of Oneder.

There were other problems. Those Fae that remained on the outskirts of civilization grew… wilder. Bolder. More dangerous. It was unwise to travel alone at night, to listen to voices in the forests. The Fae would not fade awae so easily.

quote:

The People of Oneder gain Constant Low-Level Anxiety. The Fae are banished from civilized lands. Faeverland grows wilder and more frightening.

B - Gelid takes Action / D - The Key is used by an unknown party posted:

Gelid couldn’t wait any longer. It was wholly ridiculous how long this was all taking. They’d been deliberating for real life months, and she wasn’t going to sit by. She went out on the prowl, Driven by her nature to seek out the culprit. The Avatar would keep, and if it acted up she would just take it down… tomorrow, or something. Pushing past the redoubled guard around the now-empty Plinth of the Key, she looked for clues. Flexing senses she only half understood, she consulted the Axkashic Records.

It was difficult, gave her a headache, made her feel like her guts were pulled taut in a line that stretched to that far off world that granted her this power, but she caught a glimpse of… names. Records of anyone who had entered a ten meter circle around the Plinth in… forever. Immediate migraine, worse than brain freeze, but by ‘squinting’ she managed to narrow down the timeframe to within the window in question. She made a list and compared them to the register, thankful that if nothing else the persnickety Librarians kept very good records. In the end, all names were accounted for but one - a Squild listed as Penderson in the registry. The Records gave his name as Skritch.

It was, to say the least, highly suspicious that someone would give a false name to the Library. Why would they bother? She didn’t recognize the name, but something tickled at her memory. She delved into the records and found hints of a Squild answering to that name from a previous age, a deviant and mad genius who mucked around in the Craveyard of Patience, then vanished. Only… there were rumours that he’d been seen around. Impossible, after all this time, and yet the Records were never wrong. Could never be wrong. She made her way to the Craveyard, leaving the Avatar unguarded against her better judgement.

Skritch was waiting for her. He wasn’t even trying to hide. Her body grew lax as she crossed over a Warpweft pattern in the corrupted Ice of the area, and only then did she notice how densely laid with the inscriptions the whole area was. He’d been preparing this for a long time. “I’ve been preparing this for a long time,” he said, unnecessarily. “Dosing here and there to skip forward through time. It’s a hell of thing, watching the Tower reach up to scrape the sky every time I blink. But it’s not free.” He gestured at himself, and she took in the lined flesh of his body, wrinkled and torn by unimaginable age for a mortal Person. “Even waking here and there for moments at a time, it adds up. We can’t all be Heroes, you know. I needed an edge! And when I found this Key, I knew it was just what I was looking for. A gift from the heavens. I knew it had to be just for me. So I stole it, and while I have no idea how you found me I’ll gladly pry that knowledge out after I open this.”

While she struggled against the script binding her, he held the Key aloft and in another inky tendril held what appeared to be the hard, silvery pit of some strange fruit from the Craveyard. He pushed the Key into a crack in its surface, and it shrank down to fit perfectly. With a twist, he popped the thing open, which split cleanly in half with some tinny fanfare. As Gelid struggled free, his face screwed up in annoyance and he glanced down into the hemi-pit. “Not… what I was hoping for.” Within, a pearl of violet light - that leapt onto his outstretch tendril and sank into him. He shrieked in alarm, and Gelid pounced.

A blinding light drove her back, and while her vision returned she heard him coo. “No, not what I was hoping for… but I can use this all the same. See you around, Hero.” He was gone - but not forgotten. Not any more.

quote:

Skritch wins Pixiesprint, having used the Fae Key to open the container containing his prize: The Neon Magic of Dazzling, Prismara. Prismara can be used to generate incredibly bright and powerful lights, as well as manipulating nearby light sources - as long as it’s used to make them better. Skritch instantly becomes of Master of the Magic. He has escaped, and remains at large. Gelid’s Driven trait bends to focus on Skritch as well as the Avatar of Chaos and Silence.

C - Clatter just screamed in rage! posted:

Clatter bowled the Axeface bastard over, hissing and slapping at him with Axiom-forged constructs. The nameless Aardiche just gaped at him, arms up defensively as the blows rained down. That was almost it right there, but the one-eyed fellow lashed his powerful tail around his opponent's neck and levered him off and away. Clatter rolled into a tight ball and skidded to a stop some distance away. One-Eye pushed himself to hits full height, sputtering with indignation and rage. "What in the name of the Gods, man! Why? Why now?

"If not now then when? You axefaced bastard, you took my arm!"
"It's you! You took my eyes!"
"You took my arm first!"
"It was war, you cracked old orb!"

They threw themselves at eachother again, two old men fumbling violently and inexpertly, their war conditioning gone slack over the years. But the hate was there, burning hot, still vivid in dim eyes.

"You ate us! You killed us like animals!"
"We're all animals! All of us! The drat Gods forced us to walk around and talk to eachother but didn't teach us how to do anything else! Then they made someone like Wedge a Hero and let us go off!"

Clatter threw a rock at him, clanking off his one good eye socket. One-Eye screamed, covering his face and slithering away for some sort of cover. Clatter limped towards him, intent on ending him here and now with a savage array of Axiom edges - and caught a glimpse of the Tower. He'd seen it in his youth, the first time he'd been here, and if anything it was even more spectacular. To think that People were building that…

He looked down to see One-Eye staring up at it too, single eye misty and beak parted in a complicated expression. "One-Arm… do the Gods favour these folk? Or are they just better?"

Clatter dropped to his haunches, anger spent and bitter in his gullet. Neither of them said anything for a long while, neither of them launched an attack. At length, Clatter cleared his throat. "Why did you hate us so much?"

One-Eye's eye closed, and he eventually forced something out. "I think at first we didn't know any better, and then we got jealous, and eventually the hate just became part of… who we were. Wedge burned it like fuel and glowed brighter than any of us, and we followed him because we wanted to be him. And then when he was gone… we realized there wasn't anything else there."

Night passed into day, into night again. The Challenge would persist until one succumbed, but the rage had left behind smouldering embers of shame and regret. There was no going back now. They talked and sat and stared at the obscured world beyond the boundary of Arisaurna.

"Only one of us is getting back there, One-Arm. It should be you. I owe you that much."

Clatter's face grew sour and he spat, but said nothing. He wasn't at all sure he agreed on either count. Gods drat it, he'd wanted to go out in a blaze of glory, but the Drain had him all… "One-Eye, have you heard of the Drain?"
"...Yeah. Young Aardiche just aren't the same. I'm not the same even as when I was younger. Some driving instinct just feels…broken."
"What? No, this is a Pinball folk thing. Our kids are…"

They talked more. Something was happening to both their Peoples. Something bad. They couldn't agree on why or how, whether it was the Gods or their own failings as a People, but in the shadow of the Tower, it was clear the same did not afflict the People of this place.

Time passed. They talked.

One day, one of them was awoken by a change in the quality of light. The marketplace bustled around them, but they were alone.

quote:

Nothing much changes for the world, not yet, but the survivor has gained a new perspective on life, and what it means to be a Person in a world of Gods.

The Gods watched (for really an unexpectedly long time), but eventually the Barrier began to weaken once more. Soon, they began to push and clamour for entrance, that they may enter the world and remake it in their own image. But only five may claim the honour… Contest among yourselves, O Gods!

ENGODDENING posted:

Sorry for the delay, folks! I’ll need five new Gods. Same as before, roll 1d100, only now you add your Wisp totals. Gods who joined last time may not roll (because you’re dead), and must content themselves with watching the newcomers make fools of themselves trying to get in!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Mar 15, 2024