Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I did like how the Dimetrodon roars sounded vaguely human-like (since they're distantly related to us).

Neo Rasa posted:

Oh yeah aren't dimetrodons not even technically dinosaurs/predate a lot of them by some time?
Yes, Dimetrodons are absolutely not dinosaurs, or dinosaurs' weird cousins like pterosaurs, or even fellow Mesozoic diapsid reptiles like icthyosaurs, mosasaurs, or pleisiosaurs.
Shortest version backed up by refresher from the IMPECCABLE source that is wikipedia: amniotes (tetrapods [four-limbed vertebrates] with protective membranes surrounding the egg and no larval stage) get divided into two broad groups: sauropsids (everything more closely related to modern reptiles than mammals), and synapisids (everything more closely related to modern mammals than synapsids).
Dimetrodon is a non-mammalian synapsid that predates all known mammals, aka a 'stem mammal'. So, a weird great-uncle Eddie, and not a direct ancestor of any mammal. And just to make things confusing, non-mammalian synapsids like it used to be called 'mammal-like reptiles' in books, even though we now understand they very specifically are not reptiles at all.
Phylogenetic taxonomy! It's hard!

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 14:45 on Jul 13, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Watched this last night and it’s just one big mess. Now it’s not that bad if you turn your brain off and enjoy the set pieces but then sometimes the set pieces are filmed so poorly (the entire sequence when they’re going up a ladder) that you’re just like wait what the gently caress? The entire time.

They barely spend time with any character except for the original cast, which is fun and the clone girl.

The goddamn clone girl.

Chris Pratt might as well not even be in this movie. That’s gonna be such a nice check. Show up for the stunt days and then say your like 6 lines and you’re good. Colin Trevorrow somehow keeps failing upwards. Goddamn

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
this is one of the worst movies ever made. it is incessantly stupid and nonsensical. its boring and ugly. the dialogue is embarrassing. the only points it gets is some of the action cinematography is pretty good, notably the Malta chase. everything else is unbelievably bad.

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

Bad movie

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:
This was kind of two movies mashed together, where they largely cut both character development and the buildup to dinosaur scenes, like someone shot a movie based on a plot synopsis from a ten year old.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Who wants to bet the next instalment will be called Escape from Jurassic World? An Elon Musk type says gently caress it and builds an Ark to colonise Mars with what’s left of humanity, leaving Earth to the dinosaurs. Plot twist, the rapscallion Maisie sneaks Beta onboard and on their journey Beta starts self replicating Gremlins style. Can Chris Pine find the confidence within himself to tame them all of them at once? Will Bryce Dallas Howard figure out how to wear high heels in a space suit? Can Maisie cope with being told she can’t open the airlock and ride her bicycle in space?

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

'Whats the new Jurassic Park about?'
'Bugs'

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

What’s worse this movie or Roland Emmerich’s Godzilla

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Dominion is worse. I don't like Emmerich's Godzilla but it does deliver a suitably moody rainswept New York and has some interesting imagery. It also more successfully copies Spielberg with a few bits of well delivered tension like the fishing rod bit, unlike Dominion's weird ability to present every single moment with a sense of point and shoot bored detachment. I'd much rather watch Godzilla 98 than Dominion again even if it's also bad.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Admittedly it's been a while since I watched it, but I'm actually having a hard time imaging an argument in favor of Dominion. Godzilla 98 is a perfectly functional movie, with a sensible story structure and build up, as well as a restrained use of CGI that's used to enhance the story rather than just be clumsily thrown in every like five minutes to advertise another toy or whatever.

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Plus it's like King Kong turned inside out. Intersex character from a modern state scarred by man's crimes comes to the USA voluntarily and thrives in the big city as a single parent; gets killed by the military rather than 'beauty;' leaves family behind.
Also explicitly goes to heaven, unlike Kong, who was an ape and therefore fell victim to original sin.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Thread necromancy, but the official JW YouTube channel posted this and it’s rad as hell.

https://youtu.be/tfEs2g4ReXQ

I would watch the poo poo out of a found-footage movie that’s just a montage of dino encounters.

Winklebottom
Dec 19, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Thread necromancy, but the official JW YouTube channel posted this and it’s rad as hell.

https://youtu.be/tfEs2g4ReXQ

I would watch the poo poo out of a found-footage movie that’s just a montage of dino encounters.

more of this, less of whatever was going on in the movies

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
That last dude was too much of an Alan Grant cosplayer, I bet he faked the video for the social media clout

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I loved the one where the compsognathus steals the camera and runs off with it, and the one with the spooky allosaurus in the dark forest that totally murdered the cameraman.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
Give me a movie that's nothing but Animal Planet's Animal Police shows but with dinosaurs.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

Ammanas posted:

this is one of the worst movies ever made. it is incessantly stupid and nonsensical. its boring and ugly. the dialogue is embarrassing. the only points it gets is some of the action cinematography is pretty good, notably the Malta chase. everything else is unbelievably bad.

is it at least as good as Giant Octopus Vs. Crocosaurus? I like my lovely schlocky sci-fi but it can’t be boring

grobbo
May 29, 2014
I just watched this and I feel like an under-valued element is that the movie really wants to indulge in the usual racist action-movie cliché of the North African or Middle Eastern city that's a fantastical den of iniquity, a lawless warren of streets with underground black markets, fighting pits, hairy cut-throats and the occasional heroic mercenary exile who keeps her banged-up plane on a deserted airfield just out of town.

But the movie also wants to film in Valletta, the historic European capital, UNESCO heritage site, and popular tourist destination of Malta, so it just uses the standard dirt-yellow filter and plays some jangly music and hopes that'll have the same effect.

It's also the most brutal indictment of these films that the series which began by ruthlessly killing off Muldoon and Samuel L ends with nine (nine!) protagonists shuffling about in a big cluster to keep them all on-camera experiencing their mild peril like a tour group with minimal risk of anybody actually dying.

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

This showed up for free on Amazon Prime so I gave it a try. Hero Plot Armor(tm) takes a lot of the tension out of the movie.

Another issue is that the dinosaurs are treated like movie monsters rather than real animals. Seeing a flying animal catch up with an airplane moving several hundred miles an hour and effortlessly poking it's beak thru propellers and engines or a pair of raptors keeping up with a motorcycle going full out for a ten mile long chase without getting gassed was lazy writing.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

So is the consensus on the Jurassic World movies that they got worse and more stupid with each entry? I seem to recall hype and reception for the first one being pretty good but I never saw it. I saw Fallen Kingdom though, and thought it was pretty much dogshit. Dominion by all accounts was even worse.

I’d be curious how people would rank the six films overall. Is it just a straight shot down of “each is worst than the last”, or is the first World better than 2 or 3? Are there any redeeming qualities to 5 and 6? I’ll probably get around to watching the other World films, but I’m curious to hear some overall thoughts.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
There’s a hint of coolness in Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom where the monster Dinosaur when they get free is shot as if a classic horror villain in a mansion and agains the moonlight which has a cool vibe and the notion one of the characters has Raptor DNA that I think is disregarded in Dominion.

But mostly all like you describe, worse as it goes along

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I mean I think there's very little argument that the first three movies are a definite case of "the sequel isn't as good, the third one is even worse". But I did find them entertaining on some level, 2 in particular.

I'm curious if when the first Jurassic World came out, did people see it as being superior to 2 or 3? Like was the mood "this is a good franchise revival" at any point? Because I have vague memories of that being the case. Sounds like they thoroughly poo poo the bed in terms of any goodwill that movie brought to the franchise with its sequels, though.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

For me it goes:

1. Jurassic Park (obv)
2. The Lost World
3. Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom
4. Jurassic World
5. Jurassic Park III
6. Jurassic World Dominion.

I think Bayona is a way better director than Trevorrow, especially when it comes to the set-pieces and atmosphere. In truth I have a lot more time for this series than most. I used to say I liked them all, but Dominion genuinely alarmed me with how dull it was. Some of the other films have very weak scripts but at least had fun deaths and cool dinosaur sequences. Dominion insanely lacks both those and has an all-time series worst script as well. Can't believe they made a Jurassic sequel where barely anyone gets eaten by dinosaurs (and when they do it's off-screen), and where the main villainous dinosaur is presented with 0 presence or menace. Just an insane misreading of what people enjoy about these films.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 14, 2023

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The first one worked for me sorta because it was so silly and did at least give me Dino’s eating people. It also has a fun idea with the meta narrative and the Dino fight at the end was pretty fun at a time where kaiju stuff was slowly ramping up.

It never held up but it felt like it tried and failed rather than just failed. The sequels, say what you want about the direction of 2, but that script is beyond dull and way too scattershot. Yeah cool ideas and moments but I’ll just watch the raptor bedroom scene on YouTube instead of watching that whole silly movie.

Didn’t even give dominion a chance

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

man nurse posted:

I'm curious if when the first Jurassic World came out, did people see it as being superior to 2 or 3? Like was the mood "this is a good franchise revival" at any point? Because I have vague memories of that being the case. Sounds like they thoroughly poo poo the bed in terms of any goodwill that movie brought to the franchise with its sequels, though.

I think lots did see it as superior to 2 and 3 there but as plenty of robust criticisms as well. It was a legit crowd pleaser though with the fairly silly (and touch cynical) finale. I think people gave it credit because they were just glad to see a new Jurassic (and perhaps a big franchise that wasn't super-hero based). Retrospectively people view it far more negatively.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Karloff posted:

For me it goes:

1. Jurassic Park (obv)
2. The Lost World
4. Jurassic World
5. Jurassic Park III

This feels pretty correct.

I actually like Fallen Kingdom and its the horror elements more than the Lost World but Lost World’s cliff scene blows everything in the new trilogy away.

Dominion is a career killer for me and I’ll be hard pressed to watch anything from the director. I never saw Book of Henry.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

My list is

1. Jurassic Park

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

CelticPredator posted:

My list is

1. Jurassic Park

Chrs
Sep 21, 2015

My favourite part is where they have Laura Dern recreate the scene in Jurassic Park where Grant fumbles his sunglasses off because hes in awe of seeing a living dinosaur for the first time. But then they shift the camera to reveal shes just looking at a field of dead crops.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
The sad thing is, in another, better movie a lot of thsse setpieces could be really cool. The dino bazaar is such a stupid idea, but I kinda love it. The locusts feel like a weird inciting incident, but they fit the idea of humanity meddling in ancient history for profit and paying the price. These aren't bad concepts, even for a Jurassic Park movie!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Jurassic Park 6: Jurassic World 3: Dominion is frustrating because it's the first film in the trilogy with any interesting concepts. Having genetic engineering resonate with climate change works brilliantly: the ecosystem is corrupt and full of mutants, the imagery of dinosaurs wandering the Earth is all quietly apocalyptic, etc.

But the characters' narratives mostly suck, and all the action scenes they're involved in are straight garbage. Pretty much every single bad thing in the movie is baggage from the previous films. Like, we gotta put BlueTM, the militarized laser-raptors, and clone girl in there. We gotta 'resolve' the unrequited love story from Jurassic Park 3. We're gonna have the T-Rex from JP1 do more baffling fan-service, like anyone gives a poo poo. Ohmigod, it's Dodgson?!!! This poo poo bites.

The only really good characters are whistleblower guy and the remorseful Dr. Wu.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

man nurse posted:

I mean I think there's very little argument that the first three movies are a definite case of "the sequel isn't as good, the third one is even worse". But I did find them entertaining on some level, 2 in particular.

I remember hating 2 when it came out and being surprised how much I liked it when I saw it again more recently, fun stuff.

Jurrassic World had massive pre-release hype and I liked it. Like it wasn't particularly bad/amazing but you could tell effort was put into it and it has some cool dino action. Fallen Kingdom felt like a wet fart, and the entire third act was like, I don't know. If they wanted to introduce that stuff they should have opened with the park destruction and just made that the whole movie.

Dominion is straight up busted dogshit. And on top of it all they jumped through a lot of hoops to have a scenario where the dinosaurs are all in this massive artificial woodland area to try to evoke the original films. I don't know about its production but it feels like a maximum level of meddling happened or something because it feels like four different scripts mashed together. Plus the huge cast really hurts it.

The ONLY good thing about Dominion is that it feels unintentional that half the dialogue of the movie is someone going "WHAT?!" after someone tells them something about dinosaurs or the evil company BIOSYN.

The only other "good" part is the part where the rich dino dealer who owns the atrociraptors (raptors bread to hunt down and murder a person once they get their scent no matter what - felt like a convoluted way to explain why there can be a dinosaur car chase in an urban area) attacks Bryce Dallas Howard and there's this POV shot of her thrusting/slashing her knife at Howard and it made me laugh for a long time because the way it was shot made it seems like she was like 10 feet away from her.

Also the dimetrodons being crazy cheap looking lol

Christ what a shitpile of a flick. And like The Bee said it's made worse because there's individual ideas/whatever going on that are cool?

I think I posted this earlier but this sixth Jurassic Park movie is literally exactly Resident Evil 6 in how it's structured. So while it is a terrible film to me I do genuinely think it's worth watching to see what a failure it is.

Also Dr. Wu made a faceturn between films and I kind of wish they just made him or that dinosaur smuggler pilot woman the main character of the movie instead of the old guard.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jan 14, 2023

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

This sequel trilogy somehow has even worse side characters than the star War sequel trilogy.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Karloff posted:

For me it goes:

1. Jurassic Park (obv)
2. The Lost World
4. Jurassic World
5. Jurassic Park III

But I'd but carnosaur 1 and 2 above TLW.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

man nurse posted:

Jurassic World is a funny case where I don't think anyone was really under the illusion that the movie was "good" in any objective sense, but there was definitely a collective feeling that it nonetheless "hit the spot," so to speak.

It was a shockingly huge hit (it broke The Avengers' opening weekend record at a time when everyone figured it was gonna take a Star Wars or Avatar sequel to top that) and while the subsequent two also put up good numbers, everyone seemed to intuitively know not to expect anything like the first Jurassic World, that one just hit the zeigeist.

My guess: I think there's something particularly compelling to people about a dinosaur theme park, both for its own sake and because that's what makes Jurassic Park unique. Without that it's "a dinosaur movie" which is always awesome (potentially) but it's less distinctive. I think they sensed that and you can tell there was an attempt with the latter two to extend the concept beyond "a dinosaur movie," though what makes it "Jurassic Park" is that it's a park. I think for a lot of people Jurassic World felt like the most satisfying sequel based on that alone, even before considering anything else.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
I will unabashedly fight that Dominion is, while not good, incredibly high above Fallen Kingdom, that amazing shitshow of bad bad bad I can't even finish this sentence that was a bad movie.

Dominion had a plot and served its purpose. It wasn't like, a masterpiece of cinema.

Holy gently caress Fallen Kingdom was an unredeemable piece of poo poo

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

I thought it was neat to see a dinosaur theme park operating, even if it was brief.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

man nurse posted:

Jurassic World feels too mean to me, especially within the context of previous entries to the series. The way the movie drags out killing the au pair/nanny/assistant makes it seem like the director thinks she deserves her fate.

Not sure exactly where I'd put the movie really. Perhaps better than 3 over all, but also inconsistent enough that it dips below it in parts. Though that might just be it having almost getting judged on its own, while 3 can't avoid being compared to the other two in the original trilogy.

In any case, can't wait for Jurassic Resort, coming 2036.

Neo Rasa posted:

Also Dr. Wu made a faceturn between films and I kind of wish they just made him or that dinosaur smuggler pilot woman the main character of the movie instead of the old guard.
Dr. Wu as an anti-hero protagonist in a movie largely confined to the lab/sanctuary could've been interesting. Like, even if he turned face I don't think he'd have many qualms about using his knowledge of the park and the dinosaurs to achieve his goals, even if that meant people getting eaten. I suppose that's not super on-brand for the series though, so maybe he'd have to do a heroic sacrifice and get eaten himself at the end to let someone escape/prevent some dangerous science from leaving the park.

ante posted:

Dominion had a plot
Dominion had one plot too many.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

I thought it was neat to see a dinosaur theme park operating, even if it was brief.

It’s this. I’ve wanted that since the first movie. Way back in 2012 I floated an idea on some JP fan forums called “Return to Jurassic Park” that was exactly that, and people kept saying “it would never work, we’ll never see that in a movie”.

Looks like I got the last laugh lmao

Maybe I’ll post up my idea and see what you guys think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I would really like to see JP: 1989 that stayed truer to the novel version because, as much as I love the film, the novel was equally amazing but different to me as a kid