Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
when I think of laptops sucking I think of microsoft surfaces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Moo Cowabunga posted:

heard someone in this thread saying that dell laptops suck?????

[youtube thumbnail] "DELL LAPTOP SUCKED??"

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

echinopsis posted:

when I think of laptops sucking I think of microsoft surfaces

clueless outsourced IT tried to order me a surface laptop due to lack of available stock on CDW (because purchasing direct from manufacturer is just impossible)

for a linux machine

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ironically, a lot of surface machines have good linux support

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

it's kinda absurd, but microsoft makes good hardware

they should quit the software business and go all in on hardware

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

do it microsoft, pull an inverse sega

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Moo Cowabunga posted:

heard someone in this thread saying that dell laptops suck?????

yea

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Tankakern posted:

ironically, a lot of surface machines have good linux support

the one in question apparently required a custom kernel compile so lol no

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

dell latitude more like hell attitude

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

your oem is a piece of poo poo

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

eXtreme Piece of poo poo

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I’m back at work and I have to work on Dell laptops again. they suck

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Latitudes are fairly whatever, where I haven't seen an elitebook or ProBook that wasn't junk

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

probooks aren’t amazing but they’re still better than Dell latitudes

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

carry on then posted:

eXtreme Piece of poo poo

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my work laptop is a thinkpad t15p. it's okay overall but lenovo's approach to dock power is bullshit, they either can't or won't shove enough power down the USB-C cable to run and charge the drat thing, so even when plugged into a dock you have to have a separate power connector plugged in, or you have to buy the really big and expensive dock that basically just binds the two cables together

so i've got three loving power adapters for this goddamn laptop, two for my home dock setup, and one that lives in the bag when i need to take the laptop with me. dogshit trash design.

also it doesn't take much CPU load for the fans to start spinning up. but from what i've heard at work it sounds like the dell users get bit by that too.

Tankakern posted:

we've got both surfaces and dells at work and the surfaces have always had more finicky bullshit problems than the dells despite having at least four times as many dells as surfaces. just stupid bullshit like it going to sleep and not wanting to wake up and having to do some arcane volume/power key combo to reset it. or sometimes occasional display artifacting.

i got the impression that a lot of these are basically firmware issues, so i guess that confirms what you're saying about good hardware, bad software

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i just plug in the thunderbolt cable that was included with my 27 inch 4K Dell monitor into my m1 pro mbp and it both charges it at 90w and carries the video signal to my computer that is not a piece of poo poo

dell should just stick to monitors

thank you timb

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

yeah, my office has dell monitors with a full dock and it works fine with my mac. network port in the back, full power, bunch of usb

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol. dell did the right thing and just violated the power delivery spec for usb-c so you only need the one cable.

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

i find this viscerally disgusting

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

Lol

euroshopper
Aug 14, 2021
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

my work laptop is a thinkpad t15p. it's okay overall but lenovo's approach to dock power is bullshit, they either can't or won't shove enough power down the USB-C cable to run and charge the drat thing, so even when plugged into a dock you have to have a separate power connector plugged in, or you have to buy the really big and expensive dock that basically just binds the two cables together

lenovo's consumer laptops (ideapads etc) are so especially poorly built it's incredible

had to reinstall windows on an ideapad that my dad just bought because it would loving freeze up every minute out of the box

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

DELETE CASCADE posted:

i find this viscerally disgusting

mlyp

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

there’s a Dell on my desk and I can’t stand the spongy keyboard. thank gently caress it’s not mine

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

you should put a different laptop on your desk.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

it’s gone now

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s gone now

i’d be worried if i were you

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Tankakern posted:

microsoft has made good hardware for decades imo. i thought they made some of the best mice/keyboards even back in the mid 2000s when they werent doing anything else right.

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Tankakern posted:

Microhard

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

post hole digger posted:

microsoft has made good hardware for decades imo. i thought they made some of the best mice/keyboards even back in the mid 2000s when they werent doing anything else right.

i still have my intellimouse optical from 2000 and it still works in a pinch, same as my honking huge ms keyboard from around that time. they're too big/not the right type of mouse for me (trackball for wrist issues) now but absolutely solid and worth the money at the time

i'm excited to see how their new accessible module platform grows. there's some great age-old players in the space, but it can always use more options

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Silver Alicorn posted:

it’s gone now

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EG8f6SGtV9c

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i really liked the xps that i had for my job but i have had nonstop audio issues with dells and i dont know why they keep shipping with the stupid audio bullshit

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i can't even use my wife's laptop for interviews because apparently 'usb mic and wired earbuds" is too complicated for widdle babby realtech audio XXX MAX SOUNDFUCK420 300magabytes of audio drivers to handle

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Corla Plankun posted:

i really liked the xps that i had for my job but i have had nonstop audio issues with dells and i dont know why they keep shipping with the stupid audio bullshit

you’re supposed to choose “windows” at checkout

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

like most laptops the xps series is improved by resetting windows the first thing you do (big button in control panel, asks if you want it to download a clean image from microsoft, gets you onto the windows update drivers dodging the Realtek garbage that's no doubt causing your issue).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

or, ironically, install linux