Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

im set to dispose of an old XPS machine but it's actually not too bad - has a 128GB m2 drive so its kinda fast still - gonna upgrade to windows 10 for now and see how it goes

our whole place is dell machines and some lemons come thru - we received 6 9420's which aren't our standard but a place was desperate and they were ALL lemons. built in cameras broke even after redoing all the drivers, network disconnects, it was a nightmare and an embarrassment as this department just came on. we've since replaced with our standard 5530's (the new ones, i think last year was 5520) and they are golden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
if its an xps that didnt come w/ win 10 its probably pre-2015 redesign and i wouldnt bother with those

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Shaggar posted:

if its an xps that didnt come w/ win 10 its probably pre-2015 redesign and i wouldnt bother with those

lots of orgs got 7 installed for years after it stopped making much sense though

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

My last computer was an Inspiron 17 7000, supposedly a higher end laptop. But from almost the beginning there were problems with it: random BSOD; I'd lock the computer, close it, and come back to find the screen jumping; the laptop would slow to a crawl and web pages would take longer to load when the computer was plugged in; etc. I don't know whether it was shoddy workmanship from Dell, Windows 10 issues or some combination of the two but it was a horribly buggy system.

I finally got sick of that so this past March, I bought myself a Thinkpad and installed Linux Mint on it. Haven't had a major problem since.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

like most laptops the xps series is improved by resetting windows the first thing you do (big button in control panel, asks if you want it to download a clean image from microsoft, gets you onto the windows update drivers dodging the Realtek garbage that's no doubt causing your issue).

woah, i knew this would help but i'm surprised it's that easy

kinda assumed i had to pirate an iso and make a usb key and all that poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

lots of orgs got 7 installed for years after it stopped making much sense though

it depts loathe updating software

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Corla Plankun posted:

windows just gives their poo poo away

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Corla Plankun posted:

Don’t you still have to deal with activating your poo poo?

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

Don’t you still have to deal with activating your poo poo?

activation poo poo is tied to the hardware somehow

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

akadajet posted:

activation poo poo is tied to the hardware somehow

a friend of mine had to send their laptop for repairs and after they switched out it’s mobo microsoft wouldn’t activate their existing windows installation so now he has the permanent mark of shame on the lower right corner of the screen

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

yeah, product keys are in uefi somewhere on any modern oem computer, so for an xps it should be a one-click deal (well, something like three i think, 'reset keeping my files', 'download from microsoft', 'yes i am sure it is fine to wipe everything else', iirc) and just work.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
that's really cool. i might gently caress around with that on my wife's vostro next week

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i run an unactivated copy of macOS on my mba

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

akadajet posted:

it depts loathe updating software

it's less the act of updating itself and more the subsequent complaints from people that a thing changed

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
although new software is often hot dogshit anyway

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
"the new version no longer has certain features, and the interface is garbaged up, and now there's a memory leak that requires restarting the software twice a day... but some failson shithead developers and their managers got to put a bullet point on their resume that they "shipped" a "product" :airquote:, so who can say if it's good or bad"

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

large-scale rearchitecting of a product can be beneficial and sometimes it's completely necessary to remain relevant but lol no one wants to put in the time and effort to do it right. i'm part of a department that has done it just about as well as i've ever seen it done and we just had the god drat 10th anniversary party for the project, and we're still mainly in the "convince customers to consider migrating to the new product on their future roadmaps" stage.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I'm all horned up for the new Lenovo ThinkPad Z series

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

hey, it’s bloody

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Bloody posted:

got a link to share or something, i've haven't followed it properly

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Tankakern posted:

got a link to share or something, i've haven't followed it properly

not that much to them beyond being amd-exclusive and likely in the T realm of quality (and price). which is good, past amd thinkpads have been compromises (to support both a amd and intel version)

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Bloody posted:

did you send this to your boss at Dell lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

on the next episode of thinkpad ball z

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

carry on then posted:

on the next episode of thinkpad ball z

thinkpad fans screaming as it ramps up to full power

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
I have an elite book and it’s fine but I basically never use it not docked

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I mostly use mine docked too but it’s fine when I don’t. it has a cool pointing stick that I never use

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

the apple usb-c to jack dongle worked perfectly in linux, a++++ would buy again

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

SO DEMANDING posted:

business laptops from the big three OEMs are all the same. some are good, some are crap, which ones are which varies between models and manufacturers from year to year.

agreed;
for dell the latitude 7xxx is the nice model and the 5xxx is the crappy one

same as HP where they have elitebook and probook

same as lenobo where they have T series and E series

edit: oh hey we're up to page 4 already huh

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

~Coxy posted:

agreed;
for dell the latitude 7xxx is the nice model and the 5xxx is the crappy one

same as HP where they have elitebook and probook

same as lenobo where they have T series and E series

i just checked the dell website and at least in my region (EU) the big 7xxxs only come with 1080p screens. Gotta go up to the 9xxxx to get a decent one.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Didn't read any of the above posts but I'm a big Dell laptop enthusiast so here are my statements:

1. I have a 5 year old Dell Latitude that was my daily driver for personal until the kids took it over. While I was using it, it was great. The kids dropped it enough times that one of the touchpad buttons doesn't have good action anymore. Battery life also is not good at this point, maybe 30 minutes until you have to plug in.

2. I have a 4 year old Dell XPS 15 that is my current daily driver for personal. There are two bad things about it: the wifi card is bad (sometimes when wake from sleep it won't connect to wifi immediately, this is part of a general "Killer Wi-Fi" being bad) and the webcam placement is stupid. Other than that it works great. I put a new battery in it a few months ago and it's smooth sailing.

Are either of these as good as a Macbook? Of course not. But when it comes to a laptop you want to toss around, give to your kids, use with multiple monitors (which is absolutely terrible with any apple product, yospos) these are great computers.

Needless to say we're using Ubuntu + Mate on both because Windows is complete garbage.

If you see this I'm probably doing a sig check

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
more like Dell Lassitude

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

don't give me that attitude about my latitude

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

~Coxy posted:

yeah dell laptops suck pretty bad

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nvrgrls posted:

Needless to say we're using Ubuntu + Mate

bad os for bad l;aptop

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

bad os for bad l;aptop

Normally I'm a Debian man but when it comes to these I wanted everything to Just Work with all the drivers etc. so I went with easy mode.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

ok getting webcam working on the dell xps 9320 is hell as it stands now.

let me paste from a forum post from arch

sachkris posted:

Hello!

Thanks for the hints @fstab.

After some effort, I managed to get the camera barely working. The steps I followed was :

1) Compiled (out-of-tree) the Intel Vision Sensing Controller (ivsc) kernel modules from https://github.com/intel/ivsc-driver
2) Installed ivsc firmware binaries available at https://github.com/intel/ivsc-firmware
3) Compiled (out-of-tree) the IPU6 drivers from https://github.com/intel/ipu6-drivers
4) Installed ipu6ep firmware from https://github.com/intel/ipu6-camera-bins
5) Compiled and installed the userspace library at https://github.com/intel/ipu6-camera-hal
6) Compiled the gstreamer plugin icamerasrc from https://github.com/intel/icamerasrc/tree/icamerasrc_slim_api

The sensor on the device is ov01a10.

After all the steps, I can barely turn the camera on and see the image using `gst-launch-1.0`. Although, `v4l2-ctl` recognizes and lists the device, i have not managed to get other applications (cheese or firefox) to capture images with it.

if you do all those steps, and _then_ pipe that icamerasrc stream to a v4l2loopback device of your own making, _then_ you got a webcam you can actually use.

looks like the driver is a code dump from some proprietary monstrosity, and i'll guess it'll be some time before we have proper upstream code. but hey, at least it's possible.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Tankakern posted:

ok getting webcam working on the dell xps 9320 is hell as it stands now.
i suspect it works out of the box if you don't click the linux box in the online configurator

SoylentCola
Mar 21, 2001

Ultra Carp
I had 2 Dell latitudes that were terrible the 2nd (a 7400) one had the appropriate serial number of CL0WN13, it was ridiculously bad.

Recently replaced with a new XPS15 which is surprisingly ok.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
I've got a nearly 10 year old latitude that's still limping along, though I've ship of theseus'd like 80% of it at this point. It still performs alright with a fairly minimal Manjaro install on it, gotta take it apart and throw some new thermal paste on the CPU though. Definitely wouldn't buy one myself but it was a gift so I've been keeping it limping along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

distortion park posted:

i suspect it works out of the box if you don't click the linux box in the online configurator

ironically, the dell-built ubuntu linux distro you get if you choose linux has got that proprietary poo poo already set up, so it actually works