Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
i really liked the xps that i had for my job but i have had nonstop audio issues with dells and i dont know why they keep shipping with the stupid audio bullshit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i can't even use my wife's laptop for interviews because apparently 'usb mic and wired earbuds" is too complicated for widdle babby realtech audio XXX MAX SOUNDFUCK420 300magabytes of audio drivers to handle

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

like most laptops the xps series is improved by resetting windows the first thing you do (big button in control panel, asks if you want it to download a clean image from microsoft, gets you onto the windows update drivers dodging the Realtek garbage that's no doubt causing your issue).

woah, i knew this would help but i'm surprised it's that easy

kinda assumed i had to pirate an iso and make a usb key and all that poo poo

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

that's really cool. i might gently caress around with that on my wife's vostro next week

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i had popOS on my xps 15 a few years ago and I remember it being pretty good. It would also do the no-wifi-from-sleep thing occasionally but it was a work computer so it was a welcome break usually

i installed it originally because the windows install would periodically blast max volume static into my headphones because i unsinstalled the load-bearing audio bloatware

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i always disable any lid actions. if i close the lid it just means i don't want to look at computer anymore, if i wanted it to sleep or hibernate or shut down i would've just chose that instead

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i tried the "reset windows but keep files" thing and maxxxxxaudio is still here :argh:

edit: oh this is the right place to start: https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/drivers/osiso/recoverytool/linux (make sure to choose advanced mode to get the normal win10 iso and not the horny-for-spyware dell version)

Corla Plankun fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jul 30, 2022

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

lmao i ordered a dell xps for work specifdically because i figured out how to wipe dells thanks to this thread, and the os recovery tool for windows 11 doesn't have the loving non-bloatware option :argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh::argh:

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

im really wresting with it rn. do i want to just clean install with a win11 disk or should i go full nerd idiot??? i guess since i'm the lead i can do what i want and dont have to match any standards so linux it is baybee

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

i have another pc with bluetooth headphones so i dont need to worry about sound btw

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

oh yeah win10 is better by any measure but linux is more fun for me and it's a work machine so it doesn't really matter if it works perfectly or not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

Clark Nova posted:

if the laptop is intel 12th gen you need windows 11 for it to support the different performance and efficency cores properly

oh snap