Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Slyphic posted:

Much as I love the books, and I do, emphatically, I participated in the now deleted group enough that I can't remember what actually happened in the books, is implied in the books that I figured out on my own, that Graydon either confirmed, denied, or otherwise elided, and it's frustrating because I'm 100% certain I will gently caress up and blurt out something from the group eventually.

This is one of the benefits of the e-book versions - you can search for quotes and items. Hell, if you have print copies and want me to periodically search for things, PM me.

...really though the group is dead so why worry now?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Ccs posted:

I just want to read very detailed summaries of these books because i love the idea of them but I can't get through them.

There are fairly detailed let’s reads over at Lum’s forum: https://brokenforum.com/index.php?threads/egalitarianism-battle-sheep-and-bad-bad-odds-lets-read-the-commonweal-series.10575/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

eke out posted:

iirc creek gender is complicated in a much more fundamental way than just preferences for which genitalia you like and how many partners. i think there's references to like being attracted to what we would think of as particular personality types (e.g.: dove's absolutely insane heroism) in ways they would consider gender

Yeah they talk about a two-axis:

Picky/Hopeful and Reliable/Exciting

Model of how you choose sex partners in ASoBD. Chloris was way far towards picky/exciting.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

eke out posted:

thank you! i could not remember what was Forbidden Google Groups Knowledge and what was in the books

I always have to fire up Google Books and do searches myself.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Also, at least in the old Commonweal, they had the Hard Road. Which is never explained, but appears to be at least in part a rapid transit system.

So are the standards.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I do really like the use of the French Republican calendar. It's similar enough to what we know to figure out, but foreign enough from our experience to make it seem like a different world.

Yeah it was interesting enough to inspire me to make a purchase:

https://www.etsy.com/shop/JacobinCalendar

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Kalman posted:

The swamp issue was with the ongoing use of Power being a magnet for predators

Was it? I found a reference to the Power interfering with Wake's dowsing for the target in the swamp, but no more than that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

There's no way to buy a physical copy of these books, is there? i'd like to gift them to people.

I’m sure there are sites you could send the .EPUB to?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Lead out in cuffs posted:

So what's the deal with the whole forum thing of there being multiple Graydons? Like I'm not gonna doxx him here, but the guy isn't hard to find, and what I can gather about him tracks pretty well with the politics and overall content of the Commonweal books.

Enough of us independently discovered, liked, and recommended the Commonweal books that at least one goon became convinced Graydon was a goon with multiple sock puppets.

EDIT: this guy. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=1&threadid=3554972&pagenumber=863&perpage=40&highlight=graydon#post497086251

ulmont fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 31, 2023

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Like, AFAICT Graydon is pretty goony, and I would not be surprised if he had a mostly-inactive forums account from the early 2000s, but just lol at Cardiac's post.

I dunno exactly where Graydon went after r.a.sf.w, but it includes a lot of comments in Brad DeLong's blog.

Here's one DeLong hoisted, talking about David Drake's writing in the context of the Odyssey: https://braddelong.substack.com/p/hoisted-from-e-archives-homer-odysseus

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

I'm about done with my most recent re-read and am really missing the google group, I have a number of new questions that I'm forgetting as time goes by!

:justpost: (in spoiler tags if you want)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Slyphic posted:

He hasn't posted anything to his blog in ages, and is spending a lot of time on Mastodon. Seems very thoroughly distracted.

Where is his mastodon (I see it’s not a reliable way to contact him but just curious)?

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anyone know how Graydon's going on further books? It's been a few years now since the last one. I'll be sad if he abandons the series. But also I get how much work went into it, so wouldn't blame him if it's become too much.

Tough to tell since the mailing list died (thanks, Larry). His blog and mastodon are mostly Covid / climate doomer posting, which is not a hopeful sign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

habeasdorkus posted:

Welp, Graydon has taken the position on Covid that no one should ever be going outside without a respirator until Covid has been extirpated entirely, so... maybe he'll have more time to write since he clearly won't be getting out much?

You’d like to think so, but doomscrolling the news takes up more time than you think (plus he’s got a real job which I think keeps him fairly busy).