Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Mr. Grinch posted:

I guess id wanna know what was said at the dinner cause if you were like "so and so sent me dick pics" and they did nothing thats inexcusable, but (as you wrote on reddit) if you said some vague "so and so kinda hyperfixated on me(?) and his posts that I cant show you right now because were in person were kinda creepy" then vOv

If someone comes up to you and says "I am being harassed by X person repeatedly" and your answer is "okay but prove it right now!!" instead of trusting them and protecting them while you sort it out, you are not handling things well.

Turns out false reports are *exceedingly* rare because of how much poo poo women get for coming forward at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

PuppiesAndKitties posted:

You’re not reading it wrong. The MO, as it usually is, is to nitpick and demand more and more “proof” until the reporter gets exhausted and gives up.

Authorities harassing women into backing down then using them to say "see? It was never true!"? No, how could it be?

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Mr. Grinch posted:

I am exclusively talking about this
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/vvzgh3/gsf_leaders_sit_on_stalking_report_for_months_ban/ifotw3x/?context=3
Again, I dont think its reasonable to expect that you can just say "this guy is creepy" and expect that they will get immediately banned without any verification.
If you sent transcripts/screenshots/included details of what was said to you in person, then obviously I am out of line here, but that isnt what you wrote on reddit.

My dude she literally said that she told everyone in illum and was ignored. And now you're berating her for not telling them hard enough

You are part of the problem

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Mr. Grinch posted:

edit: petty, gently caress it

As if everyone doesn't know exactly what you deleted.

If you can't see the difference between constantly asking women who are reporting harassment for more proof and asking for chat logs of an internet personality being accused of being dismissive/derogatory there truly is no hope for you.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Bilirubin posted:

This.

I'm involved in a similar process elsewhere right now, and I'm finding that this thread is well timed for me. Seeing a parallel process unfold in which I am not invested (but my sympathies go out to those who are) is actually giving me better clarity. I will say that whereas privacy is crucial at some stages, should a finding of wrong doing be made, continued silence only serves to marginalize the accuser/victim and possibly even empower the abuser. And the process had better be transparent and clearly spelled out so that when it goes necessarily silent trust can be maintained.

Wish I had a dollar for each person who has expressed shock, that they thought the accused "was one of the good ones!"

Been through the process of discovering that one of my close friends victimized multiple mutual friends. Stopped associating with them and made sure that (within the victim's boundaries) everyone knew why. If you continue to stand with abusers or even just let them continue going about their business while saying nothing you empower them, as they see no consequences.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Bigbillthaboss posted:

I was expecting your space dynasty to start off on a much friendlier and more chill vibe but I'm picking up a bit of hostility here, I think

Turns out that you don't need to be civil to fuckwads, and when people spew hostile bullshit but then get mad when you have the audacity to punch back it's just a sign of their inability to do anything but punch down.

But please, tell us more about how you handled complaints of harassment oh so well while being publicly dismissive of the very idea of believing women.

Edit: a word

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Tbf I feel like expecting more from Bill is setting yourself up for failure

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

learnincurve posted:

Nothing will change unless till this exact conversation happens on the goon forums and something gets put in place.

Don't worry, they'll just purge it there and say they're "removing drama"

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

Quite to the contrary, that's exactly how to handle it, the only way to handle it at scale, and I don't think people have thought this through.

We had a significant population of minors, to boot. "Lock everything and create a law enforcement paper trail" was policy by necessity, and it's exactly how to handle this risk.

I comment only on the policy of locking/banning everything in sight and unfreezing after consideration and time.

vvv Right.

Punishing victims for reporting discourages reporting.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Baculus posted:

inb4 some loving karmafleet pubby suggests some dumb poo poo like "spies will fake discord logs to get rid of important people for ~strategic metagaming~"

It's the eternal (false) argument: "but false accusations are so common! Women just make this up to hurt men!" IIRC studies show about 5% of reports are "false" and the definition of "false" often errs pretty strongly towards "we just don't believe you even though there's no evidence you're lying," including police harassing victims into "admitting" they made it up. Also, that's only for *reported* cases, meaning the nearly 40%?ish? of unreported cases aren't factored in, bringing that number even lower.

The idea of "well we have to be oh so careful to protect the accused because so many people lie about this" is an unbelievable strawman. Know how you protect everyone's rights? By doing a transparent investigation, not silencing the victim and trying to contain the fallout.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Lead out in cuffs posted:

63% are not reported. And yep on the about 5% figure, depending on the study, but it's always pretty low.

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

Whoops, I had the 60ish% number as how many *were* reported, leaving it as a testament to my wrongness.

And that makes it *even worse,* so....

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Dalael posted:

Im answering the ones who are literally quoting me.

I'll give you one final effortpost

The reason we say only 5% (on the high end) are false is because many people *presume* accusations are false whenever they affect someone in their circle. The point is that so few accusations are false that you must take them seriously and investigate. Literally nobody here is suggesting to guillotine someone based on the accusation, but that you should assume all reports are made in good faith until proven otherwise.

If you somehow don't get this still you're just actively ignoring the point.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

I like how even the skeptics took one look at the logs and said ooooooooooooooooh no gently caress these guys

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Solus posted:

I love it when Angry Mustache lies to people. Really makes the orbs fizz

I had completely misjudged mustache as a spaceperson of character, but that mask is gone

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Shines is on reddit posting about how we clearly need to follow due process and investigate. Nevermind that the issue is that this wasn't investigated properly and Mittens assumed the victim was a liar and is unapologetic about it in the most disgusting ways.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Rhymenoserous posted:

I realize that a lot of nerds have internalized to themselves that eve is a lot more important than it is but it really is just a video game and you can kick abusers/racists/etc out without calling a conclave of elders or whatever.

The whole argument is just disingenuous and deflecting in the first place, your spoken truths notwithstanding. Turns out the safest way to protect women from abusers is to... Believe them????

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Yknow, I know basically nothing about that whole trial but as far as I can tell it's now being used by every single abuse apologist to dismiss women's claims and I loving hate it.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Bigbillthaboss posted:

not sure if you knew but Am0k is perpetually recruiting so every time I try to leave I immediately get recruited back in

Considering the qualifications for Am0k seem to involve "be openly lovely, racist, or misogynistic" it's not surprising they keep bringing you back.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

chupacabraTERROR posted:

Mittani Should Step Down

Narrator: he would not.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Truly shocking that a conservative politician is used to handwaving sexual harassment and assault and telling us just how good of a guy the abuser is. We have never seen this before.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

pokchu posted:

one of the worst things goonfleet did was ruin trying to play other multiplayer games with the goon moniker/tag

A friend invited me to FFXIV goons years back and I told him I had no desire to game with goons. It wasn't until he informed me that the very first paragraph in the FF rules explicitly stated "this is not goonswarm" that I joined.

Mostly good chaps, the FF goons.

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Baculus posted:

this is probably a pretty good time to point out that Innominate got absolutely shitfaced on stream one night and explained, in no uncertain terms:

1. azov battalion are cool guys
2. using nazi propaganda against Russia is cool
3. Nazi propaganda is cool
4. Jews have no place in Europe

he did this to mcwolf and I as she argues with him and I beg him to just shut up (we are both Jewish)

so yeah Alex, might want to get ahead of this one while you can - and stop calling my wife a nazi in your loving echo chamber, you giant loving taint

I'm ootl what the gently caress

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Ego Trip posted:

This is the part of the conversation you decide to address?

It's the only part where he feels like he has to defend himself, nothing else bothers him

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Bigbillthaboss posted:

EVE THREAD 2022: The New Politics Thread

If you think having basic respect for human beings is political it really says a lot about you

Nothing we didn't already know, but it sure says it again

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Bigbillthaboss posted:

FNLN why don't you just make those logs your forum title here so you don't have to keep reposting them every page?

Have you considered flushing when you go number 2 instead of putting it on the forums?

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Baculus posted:

real talk as someone who worked in BI for like 8 years and has a degree in loving econometrics, every single thing out of angry mustache's mouth irritated the poo poo out of me solely because it was so offensively wrong

The second one of his answers was "unnerf the ttt" literally every person should have known he was full of it, or at least had a pretty blatant agenda

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Yeah, unnerfing the TTT is the worst thing for us. In an ideal world, the total available income from highsec market taxes would be zero.

The economy got significantly less healthy when the isk sink of jita taxes got removed for years, yeah.

Anyway, no more posting about a bad spaceship game, gently caress mittani

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Jazerus posted:

the saddest part of it from an in-game perspective only is that 1-dq is a marvel of space engineering far outstripping anything CCP has put together for the NPC empires and it will almost certainly burn to the ground in the aftermath of this. but y'know, considering the layers and layers of abuse that it was ultimately built on, well,

"i am mittani, king of kings. look on my works, ye mighty, and despair."
nothing beside remains

All it took to break the querns hardpoint was Mittani taking off the mask

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Farg posted:

so is the leadership in the bunker and are they gonna go out like their idol or what

They're trying very hard to pretend they don't see any of it

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Not to be too pessimistic, but I kinda doubt this is actually gonna break the alliance, unless someone with keys goes around transferring/self-destructing poo poo. There's way too many non-goons.

You're probably right but a goon can dream

(I barely count as a goon but let me have this one)

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Someone needs to take up the reins of keeping that quote alive whenever Baculus needs to sleep

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Riot Bimbo posted:

Going to bat for the known creep pedophile, as a joke, for laughs.

Would have rather gone with the Randian Objectivist Goblin Guy or something

Thanks for reminding me Gevlon existed, I was happier forgetting

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

ChickenWing posted:

Honestly I'd expect more apathy than turning coat. You forget, there may be rot at the core but the Imperium is still broadly less lovely than a lot of the other fuckers we've fought over the years

Idk how the imperium can be called "less lovely" rn after putting a known pedophile on the csm as a joke and airlocking women who complain about abuse but ok

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

CainFortea posted:

Because we used to have all that plus lots more of "ironic" racism and getting into the kitchen jokes.

Sorry, I phrased it poorly - the post I quoted said "less lovely than other folks" and while I broadly agree that basically every nullbloc is utter trash I also question trying to stand on top of that heap rn

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

chupacabraTERROR posted:

I too was airlocked for the crime of asking, no demanding, that Mittani resign. Avenge me

Gotta airlock the dissidents so nobody can hold him to account!

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

hailthefish posted:

might gently caress around and redownload eve just to poo poo up 1dq local but :effort:

Just use EVE Anywhere if it's available to you

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

TheWeedNumber posted:

think that poo poo requires you to be subbed just fyi

Oh, rip

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Baculus posted:

Man there’s so much stuff to respond to… what goes beyond a category 6 posting event!?

And this... This is to post even further beyond!

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

I'll also throw in that if you're comfortable operating solo and enjoy lowsec Stay Frosty was a very fun environment for me personally.

EDIT: when I say operating solo I don't mean to imply there's a lack of group content, but you'll need to be self-sufficient in terms of income to replace losses. Corp is a bunch of LS pirates, and while lots of folks hunt solo they can quickly wolfpack if a bigger target shows up. I tackled a thanatos in an enyo once and held it just long enough for us to get 5 guys out there to defang and kill it.

Jenrai fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jul 14, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenrai
May 4, 2014

Frank Frank posted:

Solo…drakban?

I'm not a good enough goon/poster to get the joke I'm sorry