Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mittani steps down, claiming he's really the victim in all of this.

Zerg Mans posted:

good lord that resignation statement is almost exactly what Lowtax wrote lmao

The Shortest Path posted:

If you think that's bad, a log just got posted of someone confessing to murder and illegally entering Iran to extirpate someone.

No, this isn't a joke. I wish it was.

:shepface:

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

if y'all aren't calling the altcorp Faternity you're missing out

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Turk182 posted:

The only way CCP could possibly save this game is to reset it.

Maaaaaybe

Alternately they could listen to their players, who really do by and large agree on a huge list of improvements that could be worked on

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ynglaur posted:

Reddit's algorithm keeps wanting me to play Star Citizen. It looks pretty. Is there an actual game of any kind?

It isn't out and Star Citizen is already antiquated. Ask your questions in the SC thread.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Ynglaur posted:

But their leadership was not. I don't know why not, but they simply weren't even willing to try.

most alliance leadership in this game do not see a line between personal funds and alliance funds

when leaders don't see a difference between the state and their rent, it makes massive sacrifice distasteful

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

Hostiles worship InitDOT. They consider them the sole reason we continue to be a viable power

PAPI was not fundamentally off about this, though. Init. was and continues to be loving baller though. Beeitnam was not going to be won without absolutely every ally in the coalition giving everything we did.

Dalmuti posted:

This is all revisionism. Every real goon knows it was delta sqad what won the war

It looks like there was a period of something like 9 or 10 days after Goondor and the M2 Extinction Event with either stalemate or very close victories on our part with our HAC fleets repeatedly forming the cylinder of a washing machine around their 9 or 10 poorly-coordinated FCs. I was flying covert warp in boosters, so I did have a couple of seconds between each cycle to look around, and I would be remiss if I didn't point out that pappy threw an absolutely hilarious amount of high-involvement pilot effort at catching those loving tornadoes.

I swear to loving God, you could almost see tears of frustration behind their constant warping and warpouts and burning and bubbles and inties and perches and probing in mass over and over and over as they lost HAC after HAC to the Children of the Maelstrom

That period permanently saw regular, non-panicmode papi fleet numbers permanently dip, if I recall from here and reddit spreadsheet posters. It turned around, even though we were being pressed into our last few constellations for good. We steadily traded space back and forth and sloooowly bled it, but we could pretty reliably win fights too, even offensively.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jul 5, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dragonshardz posted:

i don't think we have a direct recording of the AAAAAA chain but Mind1 used it for a remix:

https://soundcloud.com/mind1official/mind1-ahhhhhh-ft-mumble

Oh, you bet your rear end there's a recording. It's in the prior thread. What was the date of the regoonquista?

Honestly the recording of that moment is an heirloom and it needs to be preserved.

you could practically hear the big dumb smile on asher's face when he suggested an aaaah chain on global lmao

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Jul 8, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

the absolute high water mark of who we are and what we can pull off

It is gonna be decades before another game creates the kind of complex, persistent, hands-off environment capable of formenting an industrial and military conflict that eclipses the Beeitnam War

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jul 8, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I can't remember whether videogames ended up banning DSmart six or seven years ago for going too far with Star Citizen stuff for even these forums.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

whose poo poo is being pushed in so hard they're making "actually he's Goebbels+Hitler but with a shake of Stalin" posts this time

and why

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

theeeeeere we go, thanks

good lord, there is so much dsmart drama from so long ago that it's beyond challenging to remember what exactly happened when and who had to step in to stop it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FirstnameLastname posted:

Mittani, I'm referring to when he rocked a Goebbels avatar and remedial rocked a Hitler avatar ingame for like 4, 5 years straight - all the directors had screenshots of nazi leadership portraits for their ingame portraits for years except me, I had a little cartoon baby because I'm not a weird racist

respectfully I did that poo poo around the same timeframe then grew out of it

what's this huge indecipherable wall of what appears to be copied and pasted logs of copied and pasted logs

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

who's the clown who thinks that saying you're an attack helicopter is as valid as genuine gender dysphoria

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

At 28 minutes, we all got a hilarious peek into the sheer amount of cope TEST has been snorting.

https://youtu.be/pSh-AZpWtzc

"I'd rather die"

"We're the alliance having fun" "Are we?"

"We won, according to the EULA"

----

SoundCloud of the good bits from above
https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/ox1fnb/please_dont_black_list_me_for_leaking_this/

----

Vote Delta Sqad
https://youtu.be/cSg4QeoXS2A

----

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-oSLuiQXqQ

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

learnincurve posted:

I’m beginning to suspect that basing your entire identity around one single game and your position of power in it for 20 years may make you lose perspective in an unhealthy way.

Mittens and Brisc smugly talking on the meta show about they had been to a “lesbian wedding” while I was waiting for the northern freight company to get my stuff out of delve over anti-LGBT bullshit in goonwaffe corp mail, that the all seeing all knowing Mitanni must have been able to read, was the absolute low point in any video game I have ever played.

It seems like goonswarm is stuck having to cater to a significant fraction of easily-insulted conservative membership lmao

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Who the actual gently caress is bringing up Romani

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I used to own a top-20 population Minecraft server (we were donation only and strictly avoided the microtransaction horseshit other communities developed) and, not gonna lie, when this kind of stuff happened my policy was to indiscriminately lock everyone involved, wait for law enforcement (usually the law never got involved effectively on behalf of victims, yay America) and unlock someone after sitting on everyone's accounts of what happened for a good few days.

I didn't and still wouldn't want even the slimmest chance that I would be exposed to liability for this poo poo continuing after it had been brought to my attention. Stop the bleeding immediately, see if there's any way to see what sus out what happened (believe the victim, generally), and wait a bit.

There appears to have been missed opportunities to take this clean route, and I'm not sure if clean options remain the longer the heads of Goon State remain silent here.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

andromache posted:

We had a confused Eastern European who said something involving the G word. And then when we explained why it was bad he was like “no no no you guys are talking about Pikeys.”

Just a regular night in delta.

Y'all need to do better to nail people to the cross--publicly--when they do this. They need to know that feigning innocence isn't a viable defence, and a public hanging is occasionally preferable to sending someone to a farm upstate in this regard.

I'm really not kidding, you need that dude banned from the alliance and some clarification that doubling down on race baiting with tee-hee oopsie innocence is a one-way ticket to the cross.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

andromache posted:

I mean we indiscriminately locked (banned) everyone involved which is what led to this issue. Policies developed for nerd guys slapfighting on the internet don’t really work when it gets into SH/SA poo poo.

Quite to the contrary, that's exactly how to handle it, the only way to handle it at scale, and I don't think people have thought this through.

We had a significant population of minors, to boot. "Lock everything and create a law enforcement paper trail" was policy by necessity, and it's exactly how to handle this risk.

I comment only on the policy of locking/banning everything in sight and unfreezing after consideration and time.

vvv Right.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jul 11, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jenrai posted:

Punishing victims for reporting discourages reporting.

The immediate danger to one or the other party creates an immediate necessity to act. Understand that once something was reported or I came across it myself...poo poo, gently caress.

Fostering a culture that reassures people that they will be okay after they report is a long-term trust thing. Like, in everything as small as a game community to as large as the country itself, the only way to make people feel more comfortable about reporting is to consistently be good to them after they report. When an online situation is dangerous and information is yet emerging, that does mean freezing everything. Where it seems our police forces on down to Space Boss Guy seem to gently caress up here is in a proper, consistent follow-up that can be trusted to set things right.

Getting off topic, but imagine how parents got too. Some had no idea their kids played Minecraft with others in a "we chat with each other and start to actually become friends" way. There's now a community of people who knew each other ten+ years ago who have stuck together from Mumble to Skype to Discord and a few who joined up in high school have families now.

It also allowed people to be loving monsters.

The whole experience completely reversed my opinions about online privacy and jfc I'm never going to be an owner--nevertheless a mod--of anything online ever again until that's sufficiently fixed.

For clarity Jesus loving Christ GSF silence right now is damningly deafening. Inb4 they bring up "can't even have a nice birthday" or something in their eventual mea culpa

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Jul 11, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

yogizh posted:

Hi, I have been disciplined, I have been r/o, I am an edgy clown. Many times.

The major difference that is obviously beyond comprehension of some people here is that I have never personally attacked anyone over race, gender, or else. I am not like that.

Do you seriously think a homophobe would spend hundreds if not thousands hours in fleets led by my dear gay FCs? Well you all can think whatever you want and I will defend your right to do so.

Yes sometimes my jokes suck and are unfunny or little offensive, but claiming I am a nazi transphobic whatever without ever talking to me EVER is childish. Too bad. If I ever harassed someone, please show me when and who it was. I will apologize, if you have nothing, please do shut up about it.

Expecting the rest of the planet to be superwoke according to your standards is detached from reality. It might be like that one day, who knows. Pushing too hard has exactly the opposite effects as desired, so good luck with that. If you can't see how Goonswarm changed in the last decade because you came back last year and then rage quit over :ccp: being poo poo, that is not my problem.

Also it is not my fault that Delta is annoying every imaginable director that actually does poo poo for the people, or that FNLN is a thief. My concern in Eve is to play a spaceship game, make sure we are a good team with good people. When I see random idiots from the past coming in and bitching about everything, demotivating people and blowing poo poo out of proportion I am not going to be silent, spent way too much time building up, not tearing down.

People will not change their minds, I don't blame them, they are set in their ways, changing the language and still being a total ignorant rear end in a top hat makes no difference for me.

There are people who owe me an apology and I am willing to accept.

"Actually, I am the one who was owed an apology. I know some gay people!

"I don't blame the people who are unable to change their minds about me, the narrator of reality and the person who cannot seem to stop doing this very thing over and over.

"Even though I keep attacking people on the basis of race and gender, I assure you that I have not attacked people in ways that I would consider to be actual attacks from my perspective, these are just my edgy clown fake attacks, because they aren't real, because I get to decide what is real and what is fake.

"Anyway I'm waiting for that apology."

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

"I've been disciplined and that means that we can move on"

I think that's the core of it right here. All of it.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Foehammer007 posted:

This is how all goon groups die

doesn't have to be, honestly GSF has done cultural revolution before and it can declare another now, with the snap of fingers

the only question is if there's enough good faith on the part of people repeatedly smacked around by Heli-shitler and the rest of these pathetic bluefucking bullies to actually follow a revolution through: leave these poisonous people around long enough and they will drain the energy out of the same sane folks you need long term

dead sea

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i can see the logic, these arent legal matters and its cold but there are shitload of times when someone has made false accusations and then ran and drummed up public support so even when they're found out not true the other party is dragged and people believe bad poo poo

I don't know who still needs to think this through, but I am pretty confident in guessing that what we all really want is for our governments, our police forces, our space guilds-- our communities in general to consistently and reliably make things right once everything has come to light.

There's a reason an emergency is called an emergency: it is emerging.

And whoever is in Illum reading the thread still: you want to make the kind of community where people trust that things will be made right a few days after things get reported. That's already one of GSF's strongest values: hosed up SRP? Someone will fix it. hosed up app? Someone can fix it. A fleet concept just isn't working? Someone is working on ideas. Add "proper resolution and restitution after sexual harassment reports" to the list.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Jul 11, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lead out in cuffs posted:

63% are not reported. And yep on the about 5% figure, depending on the study, but it's always pretty low.

https://www.nsvrc.org/sites/default/files/publications_nsvrc_factsheet_media-packet_statistics-about-sexual-violence_0.pdf

I don't have any way to go look at numbers, but it was something like 50/50 "uhhh usernamehere just said this thing" reports vs someone stumbling over something that they didn't report that really really should have been reported, and that's really sad

Out of quite literally dozens of times over the course of a couple of years I made this kind of nightmare a regular part of my life, only twice did someone clearly try to Elon their way out of a situation by getting out ahead of the other person. Which.... which is why everything got locked, everyone was listened to, law enforcement was contacted if a minor was a party, then I sat on it, then made things right.

Grand majority of the time, the victim was truthful and unfrozen and welcomed with open arms and then there would inevitably be half an hour of "holy poo poo though that guy what the gently caress"

tldr the internet was and continues to be a miracle and our greatest loving mistake

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Jul 11, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

shutupandshave posted:

Feels like time for me to pop in and say hi.

That's a hell of monkey paw you're playing with there.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lovely tuna snatch posted:

holy gently caress can both sides just shut the gently caress up and gently caress off, this thread has had more posts in the last 24 hours than the reddit and helldump threads combined what the gently caress is wrong with all of you

what both sides, anyway

it's not like this is very hard, particularly if we apply some very broadly accepted Something Awful 2022 sieves to the situation:

-incident response needs to be followed up with proper remediation. you cannot lock everything down but then leave it in place for so long that it becomes a punishment, then expect people to trust you with anything important ever again

-"I'm not the racist one, it's just edgy slurs, apologize to me" wore out as a useful chess move slowly and steadily between Abu Ghraib and Dylan Roof

-eve people write words, lots of them

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lead out in cuffs posted:

IIRC the girl BobFromMarketing was grooming was 14. "It's legal in Iceland." :wtc:

for fucksake I knew bobfrommarketing, the fuuuuuuuuuuck

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dragonshardz posted:

Quoting this post because it is a good post.

coming from you that means a lot

I can only say I tried my best and made a few very bad calls that couldn't be healed, which only goes to say that best effort is called for and that people really are monsters jfc

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Grinch posted:

i dunno isnt that what happened here? the banned victim was unbanned? it seems like the outrage is more "why was this person banned at all"

Have you ever seen Spirited Away? That scene where they pull on a bike handle lodged in a river spirit's side, then a geyser of other buried pollution comes out too?

What I'm trying to say is that , regardless of the fine details of what exactly happened beat-by-beat over the weekend, the bath house is now full of smelly refuse airing out and the proprietors may as well acknowledge that special cleanup is needed.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Dalael posted:

I am very much for prosecuting the gently caress out of rapists and harrassers but I do believe in due process.

Ah yes the due process of the criminal systems of uhhhhhhhhh space guild forums.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Mr. Grinch posted:

no im saying i dont think the majority of the people posting in here agree with you that the correct approach is lock it all down and unban later

I don't necessarily disagree, especially as it doesn't seem like there was an element of fnln's thing that involved immediate danger

Above all, consistency and trust that the community will be good to the victim is the ultimate goal, and GSF doesn't seem to have that rn

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jul 12, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

dragonshardz posted:

Something something Texas law.

oh no

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FirstnameLastname posted:

then he dropped that wounded bird line and "when you see a lot of smoke, that doesn't always mean there's a fire" or something close to that and quit responding

:smithfrog: poo poo

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Oh. They got lazy and jaded.

Fuuuuuuuuuuck.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

(5:18:02 PM) The Mittani: this has been going on for months and this bitch can't find a block button and is sending us walls of goddamned text, and when the entire directorate goes over the complaint - loving PAGES of words - and we don't have anything other then he said she said breakup bullshit

(5:21:26 PM) The Mittani: the dreaded hypersensitive plaintiff

:fuckoff:

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

even on the pretense where Mittens is somehow actually right, even on that narrow loving pretense, this is a huge screwup of great degree

even if you take him at his loving word, what a massively mismanaged shitshow, and what a delightfully chauvinistic way for him to frame it

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jenrai posted:

I like how even the skeptics took one look at the logs and said ooooooooooooooooh no gently caress these guys

man, only thing I commented about earlier was the policy of freezing everything and then sitting on it for a couple of days, which I still stand by because I actually had to handle this kind of stuff with cops n poo poo

well I also commented on how the attack helicopter guy needed to be crucified and that it's really loving weird that these stuck-in-2004 guys keep not metaphorically getting nailed to a cross

dude I've made mistakes adjudicating things, but not like this holy gently caress

"I can't publicly discuss this, which is why I am going to go ahead and throw a bunch of characterizations at you" BUDDY CAN YOU PUBLICLY DISCUSS IT OR NOT, YOU FEEL PERFECTLY COMFORTABLE MAKING YOUR OPINIONS VERY PUBLICLY KNOWN

WEREN'T YOU A LAWYER

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Jul 12, 2022

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Optical Ilyushin posted:

there are still skeptics popping out claiming this is just a smokescreen for FNLN's goonfuck scam lmao

maybe those skeptics should be careful about their wounded spaceboss bird huh

Selling furniture. Next he's going to appear in a Wisconsin Pizza Hut ad.

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Jul 12, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Turns out a non-GSF director should've made the new OP.