Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
In this thread, we choose one work of literature absolute crap and read/discuss it over a month. If you have any suggestions of books, choose something that will be appreciated by many people, and has many avenues of discussion. We'd also appreciate if it were a work of literature complete drivel that is easily located from a local library or book shop, as opposed to ordering something second hand off the internet and missing out on a week's worth of reading. Better yet, books available on e-readers.

Resources:

Project Gutenberg - http://www.gutenberg.org

- A database of over 17000 books available online. If you can suggest books from here, that'd be the best.

SparkNotes - http://www.sparknotes.com/

- A very helpful Cliffnotes-esque site, but much better, in my opinion. If you happen to come in late and need to catch-up, you can get great character/chapter/plot summaries here.

:siren: For recommendations on future material, suggestions on how to improve the club, or just a general rant, feel free to PM the moderation team. :siren:

Past Books of the Month

[for BOTM before 2019, refer to archives]

2019:
January: Roadside Picnic by Arkady and Boris Strugatsky
February: BEAR by Marian Engel
March: V. by Thomas Pynchon
April: The Doorbell Rang by Rex Stout
May: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
June: 1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus by Charles C. Mann
July: The Art of Fielding by Chad Harbach
August: Memoirs of Extraordinary Popular Delusions and the Madness of Crowds by Charles Mackay
September: Picnic at Hanging Rock by Joan Lindsay
October: Her Body and Other Parties by Carmen Maria Machado
November: The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
December: Moby Dick by Herman Melville

2020:
January: The Jungle by Upton Sinclair
February: WE by Yevgeny Zamyatin
March: The Autobiography of Benvenuto Cellini by Benvenuto Cellini
April: The Decameron by Giovanni Boccaccio
May: Black Lamb and Grey Falcon by Dame Rebecca West
June: The African Queen by C. S. Forester
July: The End of Policing by Alex S. Vitale
August: The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood, of Great Renown in Nottinghamshire, by Howard Pyle
September: Strange Hotel, by Eimear McBride
October:Kwaidan: Stories and Studies of Strange Things (怪談)("Ghost Stories"), by Lafcadio Hearn
November: A Libertarian Walks Into a Bear: The Utopian Plot to Liberate an American Town (And Some Bears) , by Matthew Hongoltz Hetling
December: Ignition!: An Informal History of Liquid Rocket Propellants by John Drury Clark

2021:

January: The Mark of Zorro by Johnston McCulley
February: How to Read Donald Duck by Ariel Dorfman and Armand Mattelart
March: Carrier Wave by Robert Brockway
April: The Third Policeman by Flann O'Brian
May: You Can't Win by Jack Black
June:Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson
July:Can Such Things Be by Ambrose Bierce
August: Swann's Way by Marcel Proust
September:A Dreamer's Tales by Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany
October:We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson
November:Strong Poison by Dorothy Sayers
December:Hogfather by Terry Pratchett

2022:

January: The Sun Also Rises by Earnest Hemingway
February: Les Contes Drolatiques by Honore de Balzac
March: Depeche Mode by Serhiy Zhadan
April: Kalpa Imperial by Angélica Gorodischer (Trans. Le Guin)
May:Night Flight by Antoine de Saint-Exupery
June: The Forgotten Beasts of Eld by Patricia McKillip

Current:

The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler[/url]

Book available here:

https://www.amazon.com/Parable-Sower-Earthseed-Octavia-Butler/dp/0446675504

https://www.kobo.com/us/en/ebook/parable-of-the-sower

About the Book

quote:

Beginning in 2024, when society in the United States has grown unstable due to climate change, growing wealth inequality, and corporate greed, Parable of the Sower takes the form of a journal kept by Lauren Oya Olamina, an African American teenager. Her mother abused drugs during her pregnancy and left Lauren with "hyper-empathy" or "sharing" – the uncontrollable ability to feel the sensations she witnesses in others, particularly the abundant pain in her world.

quote:

Earlier this month, Octavia Butler’s novel Parable of the Sower made it onto the New York Times’ bestseller lists 27 years after its original publication. The book, one of two in a planned trilogy that was never completed, follows Lauren Oya Olamina, a Black teenager who lives in an environmentally decayed and socially chaotic California in the 2020s—at the time, still a distant, futuristic decade. In Parable of the Sower and Butler’s 1998 follow-up, Parable of the Talents, Olamina leaves the gated compound where she grew up, goes on the road, starts (and loses) her own community, and becomes a leader of people, spreading a set of ideas she calls “Earthseed.”

Parable of the Sower and Parable of the Talents contain many plot elements that seem to have “predicted” our current circumstances. But because Olamina’s story is also the story of a prophet—and because Butler is interested in how people might retain their humanity and direction through conditions of extreme chaos and change—the Earthseed books are instructional in a way that other apocalypse fictions are not. They are not prepper fiction, though reading them will teach you a thing or two about go bags and the importance of posting a night watch. According to people who love the books, myself included, they offer something beyond practical preparations: a blueprint for adjusting to uncertainty.

https://slate.com/culture/2020/09/octavia-butler-parable-of-the-sower-talents-pandemic.html

About the Author

quote:

Octavia Estelle Butler (June 22, 1947 – February 24, 2006) was an American science fiction author and a multiple recipient of the Hugo and Nebula awards. In 1995, Butler became the first science-fiction writer to receive a MacArthur Fellowship.[2][3]

Born in Pasadena, California, Butler was raised by her widowed mother. Extremely shy as a child, Butler found an outlet at the library reading fantasy, and in writing. She began writing science fiction as a teenager. She attended community college during the Black Power movement, and while participating in a local writer's workshop, was encouraged to attend the Clarion Workshop, which focused on science fiction.

She soon sold her first stories and by the late 1970s had become sufficiently successful as an author that she was able to pursue writing full-time. Her books and short stories drew the favorable attention of the public and awards soon followed. She also taught writer's workshops, and eventually relocated to Washington. Butler died of a stroke at the age of 58. Her papers are held in the research collection of the Huntington Library.[4]

Themes
  • The critique of present-day hierarchies
    In multiple interviews and essays, Butler explained her view of humanity as inherently flawed by an innate tendency towards hierarchical thinking which leads to intolerance, violence and, if not checked, the ultimate destruction of our species.[5][8][37]

"Simple peck-order bullying", she wrote in her essay "A World without Racism",[38] "is only the beginning of the kind of hierarchical behavior that can lead to racism, sexism, ethnocentrism, classism, and all the other 'isms' that cause so much suffering in the world." Her stories, then, often replay humanity's domination of the weak by the strong as a type of parasitism.[37] These "others", whether aliens, vampires, superhuman, or slave masters, find themselves defied by a protagonist who embodies difference, diversity, and change, so that, as John R. Pfeiffer notes, "[i ]n one sense [Butler's] fables are trials of solutions to the self-destructive condition in which she finds mankind."[8]

• The remaking of the human
    In his essay on the sociobiological backgrounds of Butler's Xenogenesis trilogy, J. Adam Johns describes how Butler's narratives counteract the death drive behind the hierarchical impulse with an innate love of life (biophilia), particularly different, strange life.[39] Specifically, Butler's stories feature gene manipulation, interbreeding, miscegenation, symbiosis, mutation, alien contact, rape, contamination, and other forms of hybridity as the means to correct the sociobiological causes of hierarchical violence.[40] As De Witt Douglas Kilgore and Ranu Samantrai note, "[ i]n [Butler's] narratives the undoing of the human body is both literal and metaphorical, for it signifies the profound changes necessary to shape a world not organized by hierarchical violence."[41] The evolutionary maturity achieved by the bioengineered hybrid protagonist at the end of the story, then, signals the possible evolution of the dominant community in terms of tolerance, acceptance of diversity, and a desire to wield power responsibly.[37]

• The survivor as hero
    Butler's protagonists are disenfranchised individuals who endure, compromise, and embrace radical change in order to survive. As De Witt Douglas Kilgore and Ranu Samantrai note, her stories focus on minority characters whose historical background makes them already intimate with brutal violation and exploitation, and therefore the need to compromise to survive.[41] Even when endowed with extra abilities, these characters are forced to experience unprecedented physical, mental, and emotional distress and exclusion to ensure a minimal degree of agency and to prevent humanity from achieving self-destruction.[5][14] In many stories, their acts of courage become acts of understanding, and in some cases, love, as they reach a crucial compromise with those in power.[37] Ultimately, Butler's focus on disenfranchised characters serves to illustrate both the historical exploitation of minorities and how the resolve of one such exploited individual may bring on critical change.[5]

• The creation of alternative communities
    Butler's stories feature mixed communities founded by African protagonists and populated by diverse, if similar-minded individuals. Members may be humans of African, European, or Asian descent, extraterrestrial (such as the N'Tlic in Bloodchild), from a different species (such as the vampiric Ina in Fledgling), and cross-species (such as the human-Oankali Akin and Jodahs in the Xenogenesis trilogy). In some stories, the community's hybridity results in a flexible view of sexuality and gender (for instance, the polyamorous extended families in Fledgling). Thus, Butler creates bonds between groups that are generally considered to be separate and unrelated, and suggests hybridity as "the potential root of good family and blessed community life".[41] Many of her books feature father figures as wanderers and not tied to family units, perhaps due to her growing up without a father. Doro in 'Mind of my Mind' and the alien/human bred males in the Xenogenesis Trilogy for example. They also often feature the subservient protagonist, being used for breeding plans, planning and finally overcoming the authority figures.

• Relationship to Afrofuturism
    Charlie Rose: "What then is central to what you want to say about race?"

Butler: "Do I want to say something central about race? Aside from, 'Hey we're here!'?"

--From Butler's interview on Charlie Rose. Thursday, June 1, 2000.[42]
    Author Octavia E. Butler is known for blending science fiction with African American spiritualism.[43]

Butler's work has been associated with the genre of Afrofuturism,[44] a term coined by Mark Dery to describe "speculative fiction that treats African-American themes and addresses African-American concerns in the context of 20th-century technoculture".[45] Some critics, however, have noted that while Butler's protagonists are of African descent, the communities they create are multi-ethnic and, sometimes, multi-species. As De Witt Douglas Kilgore and Ranu Samantrai explain in their 2010 memorial to Butler, while keeping "an afro-centric sensibility at the core of narratives", her "insistence on hybridity beyond the point of discomfort" and grim themes deny both the ethnocentric escapism of afrofuturism and the sanitized perspective of white-dominated liberal pluralism.[41]

Wild Seed, of the Patternist series, is considered to particularly fit ideas of Afrofuturist thematic concerns, as the narrative of two immortal Africans Doro and Anyanwu features science fiction technologies and an alternate anti-colonialist history of seventeenth century America.[46][47]

Pacing

:justpost:

Read as thou wilt is the whole of the law.

Please post after you read!

Please bookmark the thread to encourage discussion.

References and Further Reading

https://www.newyorker.com/books/second-read/octavia-butlers-prescient-vision-of-a-zealot-elected-to-make-america-great-again

A podcast about these books: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/octavias-parables/id1519024926

quote:

The Parable of the Sower (sometimes called the Parable of the Soils) is a parable of Jesus found in Matthew 13:1–23, Mark 4:1–20, Luke 8:4–15 and the extra-canonical Gospel of Thomas.[1]

Jesus tells of a farmer who sows seed indiscriminately. Some seed falls on the path (wayside) with no soil, some on rocky ground with little soil, some on soil which contains thorns, and some on good soil. In the first case, the seed is taken away; in the second and third soils, the seed fails to produce a crop; but when it falls on good soil, it grows and yields thirty-, sixty-, or a hundred-fold.

Jesus later explains to his disciples that the seed represents the Gospel, the sower represents anyone who proclaims it, and the various soils represent people's responses to it.

Discussion of Past Months

You can still keep talking about books from prior months, too! Just keep comments for those books in their respective threads -- that's why we link them all at the top! The party doesn't have to stop just because another has started!

Suggestions for Future Months

These threads aren't just for discussing the current BOTM; If you have a suggestion for next month's book, please feel free to post it in the thread below also. Generally what we're looking for in a BotM are works that have

1) accessibility -- either easy to read or easy to download a free copy of, ideally both

2) novelty -- something a significant fraction of the forum hasn't already read

3) discussability -- intellectual merit, controversiality, insight -- a book people will be able to talk about.

Final Note:

Thanks, and we hope everyone enjoys the book!

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Jul 3, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Hey, I literally bought this book in person today along with lilliths brood. Guess I'll be reading it now.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I re-read this one recently and it's downright chilling now compared to how it was ten to fifteen years ago. Maybe I was too stupid to see the politics then.

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
I didn't think this book would be scary. But it is getting under my skin somehow.

Burke
Jul 27, 2005

Simba-Witz!

BattyKiara posted:

I didn't think this book would be scary. But it is getting under my skin somehow.

Same here. As I was reading I became viscerally depressed at the 'just-around-the-corner' feel of it. I had to finish it today in a long sitting just to get some sort of closure, if not much relief. Very potent.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I'm about a quarter of the way through and, while I wouldn't say it's alarming or depressing me personally, I can see how this reads as less far fetched and more of a specific prediction today.

I'm surprised the "community" the protagonist lives in doesn't contain a stronger communal bond, like a tribe. It seems to simultaneously be merely a neighborhood from the 20th century and also an isolated settlement in a hostile world. But I suspect that's kind of the point and things will change either for this community or some other by the end of the book and that's how we'll arrive at the New Society.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Finished the book last weekend.

Enjoyed it, and may pick up the sequel at some point, though I feel like I've had my fill for now of that fairly oppressive setting.

I wasn't expecting the may-september romance, but it was handled well; it was clear the author wasn't simply acting out some fetish or fantasy.

One thing that seemed to drop off pretty rapidly was any consideration of language; it was mentioned in the opening pages that the family sometimes converses in Spanish but I don't really recall it ever being brought up or made any sort of plot point later?

The politics/thesis of the book is clear, this is almost, what, the anti Atlas Shrugged? A clear argument for inclusivity, cooperation, and empathy.

Oh, I appreciated how much the author was willing to have disappearances go unresolved; the characters just leave a hole in the narrative as they do in their relation's continuing lives.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I've been working on reading this one and it's good but it's making me depressed so I haven't gotten very far in it.

Thoughts for next month? Have a few suggestions already, I'll try to get a poll up this weekend.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Yeah I just finished it and I really regret taking this long to read it. It probably wouldn't have been such a struggle if I had tried a decade ago.

World really looking poo poo rn but i like earthseed as a religion, sure.

Give me some of that Einstein drug

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandwolf
Jan 23, 2007

i'll be harpo

I read this a couple years ago, maybe 2019, and I remember just being downright anxious by it, it's a dystopia that is not far-fetched or far away. It is an apocalypse that happens gradually without anyone noticing and it scared the poo poo out of me. I remember when the neighborhood falls, it's *the* point when the characters realize, oh, status quo is dead, life as we know it is dead. Scares the poo poo out of me that I might one day feel exactly that, due to political instability or climate change or what have you.

Never read the sequel, is it any good?