Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

precision posted:

the episode where the kids become obsessed with a posessed pair of VR goggles will tell you if you should bother watching or not

I disagree. I watched up to that episode or one a bit after that a few years ago and lost all interest. Recently I picked it back up and found it way better a few episodes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I agree on the other hand. Rose390 has the first genuinely creepy sequences with the vr stuff in the show. The pacing there is just weird and off in a really interesting way too.

Between that and ending with child murder it's the episode that went from me enjoying the show to it getting its hooks in me.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I don't think the show puts its best foot forward tbh. Episode two has the "did you check the pixels?" angel cam A-plot, and three is the double whammy of dorky haunted Alexa plot and a murder mystery that's never actually resolved.

(It is resolved, it's the incel tech kid from later in the season, but the show never connects the dots. There's a few other subplots the show pulls this with, and it's frustrating at times, but kinda cool IMO.)

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Open Source Idiom posted:

I don't think the show puts its best foot forward tbh. Episode two has the "did you check the pixels?" angel cam A-plot, and three is the double whammy of dorky haunted Alexa plot and a murder mystery that's never actually resolved.

(It is resolved, it's the incel tech kid from later in the season, but the show never connects the dots. There's a few other subplots the show pulls this with, and it's frustrating at times, but kinda cool IMO.)

I think stuff like that is one of the aspects that makes it hard to recommend a single good episode. The things that are happening over the course of multiple episodes make it more compelling, especially because it often doesn't spell it out, and leaves it to you to make your own guesses and assumptions. Then, once you've made up your idea about what's happening, it fucks with you more.

Like, watching one episode where Ben gets surprised by something spooky isn't that interesting, but watching him slowly lose his grip on reality and start having crazy night terrors to the extent that you start to worry if he's really in danger from the demons in his dreams, that's a lot more fun. Most procedural shows don't deal with characters gradually accruing trauma and starting to totally unwind like this.

The whole show feels like it slowly becomes more unhinged over time... but it's a slow process. They build up your expectations over multiple episodes and then exploit or subvert them, and it's hard to capture that with a single episode. You sorta never know what's coming, and that's a big part of the fun of it for me.

But yeah if you're just not into the procedural skeleton that this show hangs its meat on, I can see why you wouldn't like it.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The narrative structure is also unusual. It doesn't really have the cold-open/story/wrap-up of standard procedurals, so episodes will sometimes just kinda end. It's not a bad thing by any means, but if you're look for that procedural feel, it's gonna feel off.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
To me the show is a ride and it's just not generally feasible to hop on & off a ride at will once it's started. The people I've recommended it to I did with tellin em to watch the first season and start the next to see if it's a ride they wanna stay on. But I know some people got very limited TV time and don't like spending any of it on less than something they immediately enjoy. I wouldn't call it a procedural or a mom show or whatever, but I also don't know what I'd call it, but I generally recommend it to folks who I know who like weird poo poo and cryptozoo & paranormal stuff.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i wish my mom watched evil

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

To me the show is a ride and it's just not generally feasible to hop on & off a ride at will once it's started. The people I've recommended it to I did with tellin em to watch the first season and start the next to see if it's a ride they wanna stay on. But I know some people got very limited TV time and don't like spending any of it on less than something they immediately enjoy. I wouldn't call it a procedural or a mom show or whatever, but I also don't know what I'd call it, but I generally recommend it to folks who I know who like weird poo poo and cryptozoo & paranormal stuff.

I'd say it's a psychological thriller along the lines of a Hannibal-lite. They just don't dive nearly as deeply into the crazy thick muck as that show did. But Mads Mikkelson would play a great demon here.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren: New Episode :siren:

The Angel Of Warning
Sister Andrea's career and sanity are on trial as she battles Leland. Meanwhile the team investigates an alleged angel sighting.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Fuckin great episode, especially the race stuff

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

XboxPants posted:

I'd say it's a psychological thriller along the lines of a Hannibal-lite. They just don't dive nearly as deeply into the crazy thick muck as that show did. But Mads Mikkelson would play a great demon here.

See, I think this is way overstating how weird or creepy Evil actually is. Maybe it's just me and the stuff I watch is too out there? but all the episodes I have seen were really basic/vanilla with the creepy elements. Take the VR episode - you have VR goggles (AR, but who cares) as 'the current thing'/'scary technology', scary ghost child, ouija board - all very common and by the book horror tropes. The demons all are dudes with horns and red wrinkled makeup, like straight out of Buffy. Nothing wrong with that, but again, kinda standard fare. The side plot with the psychopath child was way more engaging to me. That's I think true for all episodes I've seen - the character moments were the most interesting, and the creepy stuff I just kinda waited for it to be over.

I kinda had the same thought about the elevator episode. I think it was influenced by japanese urban legend horror, which is good, I dig that. But again it ended up a bit too iltered down to the most basic form. I don't really know what it is, is it writing or cinematography. With how otherwise well crafted and charming the show is, it just doesn't do it for me.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

grate deceiver posted:

See, I think this is way overstating how weird or creepy Evil actually is. Maybe it's just me and the stuff I watch is too out there? but all the episodes I have seen were really basic/vanilla with the creepy elements. Take the VR episode - you have VR goggles (AR, but who cares) as 'the current thing'/'scary technology', scary ghost child, ouija board - all very common and by the book horror tropes. The demons all are dudes with horns and red wrinkled makeup, like straight out of Buffy. Nothing wrong with that, but again, kinda standard fare. The side plot with the psychopath child was way more engaging to me. That's I think true for all episodes I've seen - the character moments were the most interesting, and the creepy stuff I just kinda waited for it to be over.

I kinda had the same thought about the elevator episode. I think it was influenced by japanese urban legend horror, which is good, I dig that. But again it ended up a bit too iltered down to the most basic form. I don't really know what it is, is it writing or cinematography. With how otherwise well crafted and charming the show is, it just doesn't do it for me.

To be fair, a lot of that reference is probably based just on how much the new season 3 opening theme reminds me of the Hannibal opening. And I did say "-lite".

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hannibal is expanding that boring serial killer movie right? I'm confused, never watched it because obviously I thought Hannibal and Red Dragon were uninteresting and I didn't see the butterfly one, but even so how do you get from a couple of basic cannibal serial killers to demons and actually interesting weird poo poo?

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Khanstant posted:

Hannibal is expanding that boring serial killer movie right? I'm confused, never watched it because obviously I thought Hannibal and Red Dragon were uninteresting and I didn't see the butterfly one, but even so how do you get from a couple of basic cannibal serial killers to demons and actually interesting weird poo poo?

Hannibal was made by Bryan Fuller and it got pretty weird

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
i certainly welcome our new antler friends

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
No doomscrolling before breakfast

There needs to be a "The Zeppo" kind of ep where it's entirely the kids doing their own investigation and just occasionally intersecting paths with the adults (who are solving their own mystery that we only see vague snippets of) when they need professional advice.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

grate deceiver posted:

Maybe it's just me and the stuff I watch is too out there? but all the episodes I have seen were really basic/vanilla with the creepy elements. Take the VR episode - you have VR goggles (AR, but who cares) as 'the current thing'/'scary technology', scary ghost child, ouija board - all very common and by the book horror tropes.

I mean to defend the VR episode specifically, it is going for something that isn't basic is the thing though. Like the creepiness is the mix of uncanny valley between like the stock but bad CGI elements and the realistic girl + the fact this is clearly not just a standard scary ghost child but some sort of sex creep.

Khanstant posted:

Hannibal rules and is much more homo which does put it above EVIL which has only had a few homo elements so far.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I think we will get a homo kristen on evil kristen sex scene sooner or later.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Evil, brought to you by the anti-milk lobby.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

David's angel vagina vision/hallucination was great.

Edit: Goddamn them for having the floor supervisor describe the Manager to Cheryl.

Victorkm fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Jul 10, 2022

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Between this episode and David joining the CIA: Vatican I feel like they are doing a good job this season giving him interesting stuff. Kristen and Ben always felt like that they had the more compelling storylines so its nice to see.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Kristen's evil mom telling her she used to come freak her out with being afraid from hearing a "get out" voice as a child is so devious because I cannot tell if the entire thing is an improv lie to manipulate kristen, or a genuine kernel of truth she's using to manipulate kristen.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Khanstant posted:

Kristen's evil mom telling her she used to come freak her out with being afraid from hearing a "get out" voice as a child is so devious because I cannot tell if the entire thing is an improv lie to manipulate kristen, or a genuine kernel of truth she's using to manipulate kristen.

Yeah, it could be anything from just the simple truth to "I used to whisper things outside your door when you were growing up"

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

God, I'm so confused about how to take the Sheryl plot. When last season Leeland and some other guy drugged her and then used the IV to feed demon plasma or whatever into her and her demeanor changed it seemed obvious "oh ok before she was kind of trying to get away from him / reconcile with Kristen but now she's been demon-pilled" and by the end of the season she's drawing sigils and being inducted into their demon society. But then in season 3 it's like . . . she isn't "in" on anything and more just under Leeland's spell and now working at some office just being evil because she now just likes generic evil doings and money (ok she probably always liked money). But then by the end of the episode she meets the manager so I guess she's still "in" she just wasn't OT VIII or whatever rank to actually meet the higher ups.

I recognize most of this is just me overthinking it, thought. Show continues to own. But I'd trade half the Sheryl stuff for more of Ben's sister and GF because they're great.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Khanstant posted:

I think we will get a homo kristen on evil kristen sex scene sooner or later.

Yes, but for that oldmate Andy would have to die.

oh no stop dont kill and*yawn*

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Bring back Fenna so Kristen can tenderly touch her face some more

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Snooze Cruise posted:

nice when the staff actively comes out and says "yep that was gay"
that was just a nice episode in general, those two really did have great chemistry

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

XboxPants posted:

nice when the staff actively comes out and says "yep that was gay"
that was just a nice episode in general, those two really did have great chemistry

Yeah Katja did the same for the portaledge scene in season one lol.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jul 11, 2022

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I'm at episode 2 of the new season. Visiting Jack really seems like a reference to Slenderman and marble hornets, which originated in a SA photoshop thread, making SA obliquely responsible in some way? A fun thought.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snooze Cruise posted:

wine moms who touch faces too much are a real thing, and they're powerful evil

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

It is 90 degrees out at night, and I just finished the latest episode of Evil. Demon workout funk has got to be worse than this.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ninurta posted:

It is 90 degrees out at night, and I just finished the latest episode of Evil. Demon workout funk has got to be worse than this.

my apartment stays right at 90 degrees from about 3 pm to 1 am every day. even though it gets down to like 75 degrees by 10, even if i keep the door open, it doesn't cool off until like 2 am. it's demonic

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren: New Episode :siren:

The Demon Of Algorithms
A single mother enlists the team to look into the potentially demonic ways the viral app TipTop is terrorising her family.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Okay, this episode owned. I like how it didn't have to demonstrate native usage of TikTok by portraying all the adults as unfamiliar with the app (but lol Ben flexing over checking the sound source) but implied an inherent tech savvyness from the subplot with the kids.

I hope those children just end the season stabbing the gently caress out of Leland. That would be an awesome ending to the sublot about Kristen's unknowing influence on her daughters and her neurotic attempts to control their behaviour. Which ties into the idea of memes and spreading influence, etc.

They're still playing a slight ambiguity to Sister Andrea, which is cool. Bursting into David's room only for David to zap across the room after she saves him, seemingly fine. Did she fight a manifestation or is she just delusional, maybe dangerously so?

The TikTok lady was super sinister too, right? Not demonic, just a human sort of sinister if you catch my drift?

lol Cheryl is so evil.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Goddamn that was nuts. Love this show.

Mukaikubo
Mar 14, 2006

"You treat her like a lady... and she'll always bring you home."
At this point I'm rooting for the daughters more than anyone else. If they get any inkling of what Leland is doing to their dad, we might see if icepick murdering genes run in the family.

Also: The show doesn't really hide this but doesn't make it hugely overt, but... Leland wasn't actually logging in from the parish. The daughters didn't check any IPs. They straight up lied to get him in trouble, and I love the show cheerfully letting them do 'good' things while also being anarchic little shits of young girls.

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

cant cook creole bream posted:

So, what are Leland and his buddies planning to do with Andy? Just using this mountain trip as a way to off him in order to hurt Kristen seems inefficient and honestly kinda lame.

Well. Apparently, they agreed.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

I kind of love the way Leland turns from a sociopathic genius into Snidely Whiplash when things start to go wrong for him.

Also i kind of groaned at the initial description (lol the algorithm is evil tell me something I don't know) but the actual episode was fantastic, maybe my favorite one this season so far.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Holy poo poo what an ep, my favorite one yet this season.

I love that it wasn't just a take on tiktok, but the whole thing where teens were developing tics from watching tourette syndrome videos. Morphing that into possession... good television. Ben going viral and kristen's reaction to the margarita how to were great.

Also Andy lol. Happy what they are doing with him. I always liked his reactions to coming back home and hearing about the crazy stuff that went down because he is such a dope. But the status quo with him always felt a bit boring and I am glad they found a way to shake things up without just offing him cause that would be the least interesting option.

Open Source Idiom posted:

lol Cheryl is so evil.

i love her and i am in love with her

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love that it wasn't just a take on tiktok, but the whole thing where teens were developing tics from watching tourette syndrome videos. Morphing that into possession... good television. Ben going viral and kristen's reaction to the margarita how to were great.

Ben being one of those people who just can't let (video) shitposting go was perfectly played and let's just say I felt a little more seen than I like.

e. I'm curious now whether Andy's smart and with it enough to be lying about whether it was actually the anniversary of their first date in his condition