Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

drop or no drop in that situation i think you go insane either way so hopefully he lied

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That episode was fuckin fantastic

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
From an episode called 'The Demon Of Algorithms' I was expecting VidTap to be a little shady but they seem to be entirely based on user actions and not steering them to anything except what they (secretly) desire. Which is a more interesting take then the outright evil of Sheryl's company and in the end could be far more damaging.

They do keep bringing in these stage stars for minor parts and it rules.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AobKAHRBkWc

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I feel like we haven't seen the last of VidTap. The scene between the executive and Ben seemed to suggest there's more to that plotline, imo.

The Andy bit is great, Cheryl just deciding to go all out in response to being told to move is amazing. Personally I thought that the garbled footage from the expedition meant he was probably already dead but I like this more.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

docbeard posted:

Ben being one of those people who just can't let (video) shitposting go was perfectly played and let's just say I felt a little more seen than I like.

e. I'm curious now whether Andy's smart and with it enough to be lying about whether it was actually the anniversary of their first date in his condition

Andy got a cue from Sheryl. She was behind Leland, signaling Andy to nod. I also can't be certain, even after rewatching that moment three times, but as she left the room she paused and it sounded like something dropped. I think she's going to break him out. She wanted him out of the way, but killing him or faking his death would hurt Kristen and the kids.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Haha, I just got to the "I bought us some masks..." episode:allears:

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
:siren: New Episode :siren:

The Demon of Cults
The team investigates a young man who is being held against his will to determine if he is possessed or is influenced by a cult.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I hope the next episode also has a nerd club member who wants to gently caress ben like the last two episodes so the trend continues lmao.

Fun ep, I like that the reveal of entity guy being a nonbeliever in the supernatural.
I like that this season is reaffirming skeptical readings are valid, I feel like season 2 just got a lot of people on board with the it must be supernatural train.

Also Kurt is a cringe comedy character.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Ben's reaction to the whole deal and explanation to David and Kristen makes sense only if he knew the episode was ending.

Still worth it for Cool Rickon: cult deprogrammer

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

Ben's reaction to the whole deal and explanation to David and Kristen makes sense only if he knew the episode was ending.

Still worth it for Cool Rickon: cult deprogrammer

I can't believe they revealed this show is the same universe as Severance so early, blew my friggin' mind. So many questions. Could Rickon write a self-help book that was so powerful it started a cult that even Cool Rickon could not deprogram? These are the theological answers we must search for in these trying times.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Show owns.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

That episode was great.

Is Ben just in shock at the end, or is the implication that he's been hosed with by the ritual?

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Tosk posted:

That episode was great.

Is Ben just in shock at the end, or is the implication that he's been hosed with by the ritual?

I read him personally as a mixed of nonplussed and shocked. Like rationally he knows what just happened and he is holding onto that to not freak out about the fact he just got covered in goat blood lol

But the show being what it is and loving its ambiguity I think they want the later of what you said to be a possible fear for the audience. But the main point seems to compare Ben and Kurt's reaction to rituals and demonstrate you can't really trust single character viewpoints of what is happening. We also had the entity dude pretty much responding to audience reactions to season 2 that things have to be paranormal now in regards to what we saw from Kristen's perspective then.

Snooze Cruise fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jul 25, 2022

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
When drawing blood, Kurt didn't cut his palm. Excellent.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Ben's got pretty bad PTSD, when it comea to both violence and women, so I can imagine this having an impact -- though tbh it was very foolish of him to hook up with a second woman who claims to share her body with another being (and was Yeshua given the opportunity to consent? Didn't think so Ben).

I mentioned this to a friend when we watching the episode, but is the Entity are the Friends Of The Vatican actively pushing Kristen's kids to kill Leland? I'd love it if the season ended with them breaking into Leland's house, rescuing their dad, and stabbing the gently caress out of Leland. But it's entirely possible that it'll be Kristen that does it for them.

Also Doctor Boggs lmfao. Kurt Fuller is a great actor, and I'm keen to see him slowly transform into a monster/have a psychotic break. lmao though that he's just fully jumped off the slippery slope on this one, because he'd rather not read some religious pamphlets. His book sounds like it sucks too.

Yeah, my guess is that they kill Leland this season, Cheryl steps into a more active villain role and Kurt takes up the weird ambiguous side role that Cheryl used to occupy. Or he trips over a pot plant and falls into an open sewer vent, could go either way with this show.

Snooze Cruise posted:

We also had the entity dude pretty much responding to audience reactions to season 2 that things have to be paranormal now in regards to what we saw from Kristen's perspective then.

Yeah, but he was pretty obviously lying. He didn't bring up the poisoned margaritas once. :colbert:

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They're gonna kill Leland and his ghost will be haunting someone on the cast next year up until midway through the season he firmly holds an object and speaks with someone else, establishing that he either never died or is at least real and corporeal.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Better if Cheryl coups him at the Evil Store and he's on the outside looking in.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Wait, putting aside the question of how much of the supernatural is real... are we to understand that the cult's recruits are the demons themselves? Like, they find possessed people and convert the demons into Jesus lovers, and that's why deprogramming them turns them back into Exorcist style weirdos?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Argue posted:

Wait, putting aside the question of how much of the supernatural is real... are we to understand that the cult's recruits are the demons themselves? Like, they find possessed people and convert the demons into Jesus lovers, and that's why deprogramming them turns them back into Exorcist style weirdos?

It's not clear what happened. Maybe the cult helps infect (or "quantum entangle") people with demons, or maybe it's exactly as Kristen described and the kid became possessed during his reprogramming.

I love the scene where Kristen explains this to the cultist girl, and the girl calls Kristen loving crazy for believing that anything she just said made sense.

Personally I'd chalk the events of this episode up to a bunch of people getting so confused by various manipulators that the truth just becomes completely unknowable.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah there are a lot of possible explanations for this one. My personal read was just the dude kinda subconsciously trick himself into thinking he was possessed as a way to resist the creepy deprogramming dude. I always try to figure out the skeptical read because its personally what is fun for me but even compared to like the other possessions we seen this one felt different and it stops pretty quickly once the GF comes in.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
So is everyone at Ben's super science group going to end up being a demon?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Cojawfee posted:

So is everyone at Ben's super science group going to end up being a demon?

His sister had better not, I like her

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Demon of Parenthood
The team responds to reports of possessed toys and electronics originating from a store. David is tasked with retrieving a hidden message that may be the key to saving the project Grace Ling.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just started watching, and while it can be real stupid some times (Vatican doesn't know what some symbols in a secret ancient document are, but one of them is described on wikipedia) it's engaging. And liked that (S1E12) Leland talks to his "shrink" and we expect it might be a reveal that some character we know is pulling the strings, but no, it turns out he's talking to a literal in the flesh demon with horns and everything.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Victor and David are the dorkiest spies

Fun episode. Lot of great scenes even if they don't really feel like they hang together well.
Also woof... that ending is a doozy.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
drat I just love this show, it takes two of my favourite cultural forces (Xfiles and The Exorcist) and mashes them up into something great with an amazing cast.

Some thoughts from the most recent episode (Demon of Parenthood):

- I laughed out loud when Kristen picked up the pacifier and rinsed it off for the demon baby, that is 100% the parental reflex to do that
- Ben's moment with Kristen was seriously heartwarming. Ben the Magnificent is back!
- I knew some bad poo poo was going to go down with the implanted egg but drat I was not expecting that. Katja Herbers sold the hell out of the reaction too, my god.
- I said out loud "Kurt NO!" more than once this episode. I hope he doesn't get sucked in too far, I like that goofball.
- The end scene with David and Grace felt like a dream sequence, but I don't think it was. It was just.. odd.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

priznat posted:

- The end scene with David and Grace felt like a dream sequence, but I don't think it was. It was just.. odd.

Yeah it def is going for a sorta dreamlike feel. Its building off the scene he has with Kristen earlier. David putting god first, and Grace personifies a lot of his belief system. He finds rejection with Kristen, but acceptance and salvation with Grace in that it did end up bringing her back. The ethereal quality of the scene really adds to this in a neat way.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007
What the HELL? That's my cutting board.

Another good episode, hopefully we get some payoff coming up.

Nothing really to add other than Lexi totally sees Demon boss for who he is and is just loving with Sheryl.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Snooze Cruise posted:

Yeah it def is going for a sorta dreamlike feel. Its building off the scene he has with Kristen earlier. David putting god first, and Grace personifies a lot of his belief system. He finds rejection with Kristen, but acceptance and salvation with Grace in that it did end up bringing her back. The ethereal quality of the scene really adds to this in a neat way.

Yeah it really felt like that.. interesting!

Ninurta posted:

Another good episode, hopefully we get some payoff coming up.

Nothing really to add other than Lexi totally sees Demon boss for who he is and is just loving with Sheryl.

I’m on the side that Lexi is a good kid whose only demonic qualities are she happens to have a tail and some weird teeth stuff goin on.

Speaking of, did she bite off the dental hygenist finger(s) for real or was that another weird dream because the way that happened a few episodes back was really strange!

Also it’s pretty hosed up that Sheryl is onboard with bringing Lexis down the demonic path, I thought she’d have some kind of redemption but after seeing what she’s doing to Andy and now Lexis, nah.

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

priznat posted:

Yeah it really felt like that.. interesting!

I’m on the side that Lexi is a good kid whose only demonic qualities are she happens to have a tail and some weird teeth stuff goin on.

Speaking of, did she bite off the dental hygenist finger(s) for real or was that another weird dream because the way that happened a few episodes back was really strange!

Also it’s pretty hosed up that Sheryl is onboard with bringing Lexis down the demonic path, I thought she’d have some kind of redemption but after seeing what she’s doing to Andy and now Lexis, nah.

Oh, I don't think she's evil, I just like the idea of her loving with Sheryl over it. I don't remember if the daughters were/are clued in over the Leland/Sheryl relationship but it would fit in with the online antics.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Ninurta posted:

Oh, I don't think she's evil, I just like the idea of her loving with Sheryl over it. I don't remember if the daughters were/are clued in over the Leland/Sheryl relationship but it would fit in with the online antics.

At the very least, the kids know that Sheryl and Leland were an item at one point. That's how they met him in the first place.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Ninurta posted:

That's what I was thinking.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm
I've started catching up with this show and it's loving deranged in just the best way. I just watched the episode at the silent monastery with the incredible use of subtitles and man I cannot wait to see what nonsense the showrunners come up with next.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
https://twitter.com/willmenaker/status/1554931365556039681

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i really liked that episode

Ninurta
Sep 19, 2007

Another good episode, and as always, FU Sheryl.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

The Demon of Money
The team investigates claims that a demon's vigil was directed at stock tip investors. The Entity asks David for help in shifting Grace Ling back.

(Whoops I was late this week.)

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

That was rad. I love this show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

I really like how the book comes out and then the credits when there is a “turn” when something clicks or shocks. It’s a cool way to do it.

E: jesus christ that ending :stare:

Bring back Wallace Shawn to avenge the monsignor imo

priznat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Aug 7, 2022