Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is probably about as "traditional" as a robot servant but it does a good job of keeping everything for lazy nights when you don't feel like wrapping.
I'm ok with these if they are relabeled corndom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Fish free worcestershire, a shameful worcestershire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Hirayuki posted:

That article describes bakso as "firm" several times. Why is this one so jiggly? :gonk:
I've never heard firm used to refer to any food that is solid. Just firmly jiggly. Like tofu.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Are there any other inversions of the British folksy principle where an American English term is terse and literal and the British English is flowery or cutesy?

My mind is blown that circus peanuts are literally just foam bananas.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Agar verges toward gummy and you're never going to get the firm push back mixed with the melt in your mouth of animal gelatin so I'd just make coffee puddin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With upwards of 2, maybe 3 goons buying circus peanuts beside the normal Halloween rush, that means their supply chain is getting constrained.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CzarChasm posted:

Ok, look, if someone is really craving the circus peanuts and cannot find them just use this simple substitution

Buy 1 bag of marshmallows, and one packet of Runts

Empty the bag of runts and separate out the banana candies
Put the candies in a double layer of resealable bags
Smash into powder with a rolling pin or heavy pan

Take one marshmallow and cut in quarters

Sprinkle cut side of marshmallow with reserved candy powder

Let sit overnight to set to proper "old, dry" consistency

"enjoy"

If you want slightly more authentic look, smear some food coloring on the marshmallow before adding the candy powder

Or, if you want to suffer quickly, just mush a few banana runts into a marshmallow and pop the whole thing in your mouth.
Can't find banana runts? Simply perform an acid catalyzed esterification of isoamyl alcohol and acetic acid, water rinse the catalyst, and dry. Add to marshmallows to taste, or until bees start stinging you.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Well now I just want to get rip poo poo on tonic wine and eat cracklings.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Last page almost got it but sphag ball is what you use to smoke the malt to make Laphroaig.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Anything McCormick is going to have sat in the supply chain for longer than a real deal chef is going to tolerate and the bottles are better than a foil packet if you are a packaging hippy but still pretty bad compared to reusable jars and packets.

But you know what I'm just glad you're cooking with spices.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

CommonShore posted:

Is that the quest? Contrary to that, I've heard it repeated a few times, though it has "urban legend" vibes to it, that the notorious WW2 "Chocolate bars" in rations were intentionally made gawdawful so that the highest energy and most durable item would be more likely to get saved for emergencies.
They made the chocolate bars god awful so they wouldn't trade them for cigarettes and hard liquor from the locals. We've spent 70 years course correcting ever since: the rations need to be attractive to be eaten and if they're gonna get traded for hard liquor and cigarettes, well that's just a good will campaign so we'll give them to the locals first.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Eating mac and cheese using snow peas like dip n stix.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't think Dr Oz knows what mac and cheese is but that seems like a reasonable base that is a few substitutions (replace nuts with more beans) and maybe a bit more aggressive seasoning away from being a reasonable veggie sauce.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Youth is the ability to get an unstoppable boner but wisdom is the realization your boner needs stopped. Makes u think.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Lol if you've never inhaled the sauce vapor after adding wine to tomato sauce because "it would be a shame for the alcohol to go to waste."

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Puff the matcha dragon.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Butterfly Valley posted:

"Cook broccoli according to package directions" is unreasonably upsetting me. Why is your broccoli in a package.
A variety of produce related developments never really took hold till the 80s or some places maybe the 90s: transport resilient cultivars, convincing the 3rd world to willingly turn themselves back to plantations, irrigating California to the point of affordability, hooking that all up to the global supply chain etc. Your broccoli came from a garden or a farmers market for a few weeks a year but really you're eating it out of a can or maybe a frozen bag if you're fortunate.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
China Coast somehow did worse than the tex-mex restaurant named 'boobies'

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Mongolian barbecue is like Subway or Chipotle but you grab your raw ingredients out of a buffet which is meant to be fun and whimsical for normal people else a maximum eater will be either "you can replace this with a list of checkboxes and then I don't need to get up" or else "my food per minute is much better at a buffet where the food is actually cooked."

Some people also get really salty when the cook glares or suggests things don't go together when you come up with a traincrash mixture although this is often a subset of the "put it on the menu" people.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
We all eat fries like a seagull. Some people just take a little more after then.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
My chocolate of shame is when I ran out of all other sources of caffeine in the apartment and just made a cocoa powder and hot water drink. Not awful if you like bitter.

I planned ahead and just made cocoa oatmeal instead the next day instead of eating my oatmeal and wondering why my caffeine hit was going to come from.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Tell me more about your generous pud's mountain of foam.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

By popular demand posted:

Is anything supposed to look like this?
Anything at all? I'll accept 'daddy has the bad thoughts again' as an answer.
This is the ideal male body. You may not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
To be fair cold beef broth and tomato soup cake are memory holed for their utter inconsequentiality. Completely pedestrian things to do for no real reason thus falling out of favor.

Beef noodle with a melba toast with candles sticking out is utterly sinister and soup nogs has to be straight out of a "diet" book.

Data Graham posted:

A can a weekday, that's all we ask

e: also lol @ the ever-present mid-century "aid in your digestion" — people just continually blocked up or making GBS threads themselves and that's perpetual news item #1 for the American Household
I don't know that this has gone away as much as the affected have figured out this is instantly solvable with a spoon of psyllium husk to cast a perfect casting of your colon to shove everything out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
In an alternate universe canned tomato soup is called berry juice and it's solely used in baked goods.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Data Graham posted:

People are real weird about tomatoes.

All "i love em in sauces or on burgers but if it's raw it's an eldritch abomination" or "when I was a kid I hated all tomatoes but then I turned 19 and suddenly I love them"
It's me, I'm the tomato weirdo.

Grocery store tomatoes are weird water balloons with a bad aftertaste. Ketchup is a disgraceful vinegar glaze. But canned romas are the perfect way to add savory to a recipe (that isn't fish sauce) and garden fresh heirlooms and cherries are good in salads.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
When you figure out a whole book of meatloafs is too many meatloafs and you need to find an out.

Also think we're sleeping on the par boiled bacon a bit.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You're going to agree to murder a man for spreadable meat if you ever end up on pureed food washed down with thick water. Putting my vote in that it should come out of a squeezy bottle like ketchup.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't really see the point. Pasta is already really cheap and easy to make, and 12 minutes doesn't seem very fast. You can get meat sauce cheap in a jar.

Nice! is the store brand of Walgreens. No real relation to Morrisons.
These didn't really go away, just got replaced with a much less packaging dependent method where sauce ice cubes are mixed in with the frozen pasta. The point is some people are absolutely paralyzed when asked to do monumental planning tasks like figure out how much of the sauce jar goes into the box pasta. And occasionally an easy way to get cheese stuffed pasta if you don't have access to any semi-fresh in the fridge section.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Kenning posted:

That's the worst tomato I've ever seen.

Tiki bowl drinks are fun, although I wouldn't place bets on that monster Hurricane being a well-built tiki drink rather than a syrupy mess.
Pat Os is the classy hurricane choice, it's pretty good as a tiki drink. Size of tiki drink shouldn't influence the quality, they literally make huge vats of it to dispense by mixing liquor and some sort of premix, that's the whole benefit to the restaurant.

Facebook Aunt posted:

What if it's just two people and they are hopeless romantics/drunkards sharing a drink.
I think there's about a handle of rum in that thing so you might want to add a third person into the equation unless you want to hear Pianoman sung 15 times in the hours you sip on it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Gtfo with chili meal time gate keeping. Cowboys ate twice a day and one of these was just leftovers. If there's a time you can't eat chili it's lunch.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Robobot posted:

Does your dish have chilis in it? Does it have cumin? Then you got yourself a chili regardless of other ingredients.

Even if it’s just a chicken breast on rice.
Buddy when I'm cooking you better believe it all has got cumin.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
It should be illegal to serve an active cheese cascade. All liquid cheese should be settled and contained before its presented to a customer. Play with your cheese falls only in the safety and privacy of your own home.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
These shouldn't exist but now that they do I can think of a few things to do with them.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Elviscat posted:

If you want to shove ~1lb of ground beef in your face there's just so many tastier and/or easier ways to do it than as a big, nasty, sweaty log that comes out visually identical to how it goes in. In no particular order:

-hamburger
-loco moco (the best way)
-white person tacos
-raw, straight from the package
-taco salad
-spaghetti sauce
-chili
-taco pizza
-Salisbury steak
-lasagna

I'm sure there's more.
Salisbury steak is just personal pan meatloaf.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Minnesota had extreme margarine laws like Wisconsin. It's probably an illegal color.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I don't have a good way to rehost reddit videos but you all need to see this on highest priority.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
You shouldn't chance it but also activated charcoal kind of depends on having free surface area from not being cooked into a gluten matrix or covered in cheese to provide the adsorption surface area that causes a biological effect so you're mostly just eating charcoal for the color and taste.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

OwlFancier posted:

The marshmallows in buns would probably be quite nice toasted.
Are you referring to yourself, the marshmallow or the bun?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Desert Bus posted:

I have been informed by someone far more Polish than I am (100% vs 25%) that Paczki is PLURAL and I should call the individual pastries Paczek. She threatened violence if I didn't clean up my pidgin Polish. It is a "Paczek burger."
Have you considered the easier fix is to use one each for the bottom and top bun?