Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

https://twitter.com/ClaudeUlt/status/1555583372696555520

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

For a few years now I've been meaning to forage some spruce tips and pickle them in the spring and then put them on roast pork or with venison sausage but I keep forgetting.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

redgubbinz posted:

Look, sometimes they struggle with the concept of grilled cheese, give em a break...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E4cQHejFq0

this video except it speeds up every time he says "beautiful"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this is pure joy

I started expecting some kind of Brazilian monstrosity with loose corn but then as it went I started to :dudsmile:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I;m going to be thinking about these all day

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I didn't know that "watermelon is delicious" is controversial to the extent that people have developed techniques for making it taste like things that aren't as delicious

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

the best bananas are mini fried bananas sold by dudes on motorcycles in Bangkok traffic jams

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

bob dobbs is dead posted:

the eternal epic quest of mre makers is to actually get gi joe to eat it all

Is that the quest? Contrary to that, I've heard it repeated a few times, though it has "urban legend" vibes to it, that the notorious WW2 "Chocolate bars" in rations were intentionally made gawdawful so that the highest energy and most durable item would be more likely to get saved for emergencies.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

That whole recipe is just meme ingredients thrown into a literal blender. I expect that elsewhere that quack is pushing "naturally fermented bioactive sauerkraut" as some kind of woo gut biome panacea.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Crust First posted:

I think I've posted those awful jarred "hot dogs" before, you can get them in cans as well for some reason here in the UK. I don't know if those sausages are like the ones they call hot dogs but they're really unpleasantly squishy; you get them sometimes if you buy a hot dog from a takeaway.

eta:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

LifeSunDeath posted:

oh gently caress...gently caress. I loving hated this poo poo but we had it around constantly. gently caress it was bad. Oh also coffee yogurt :barf:

You don't know the song, then?

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Data Graham posted:

I wonder which one was the "diet chocolate soda" in The Biggest Ball of Twine in Minnesota

there we go. Pairs up with the pickled wieners on the last page.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

RFC2324 posted:

I'm not certain about the no seeds in tomatoes, i know its done with other plants that are normally seed bearing in order to prevent trademark/copyright violations.

Yay capitalism where we can copyright plants

This isn't quite what's going on in these situations. Only GMOs can be patented/trademarked. Most of the "the seeds won't get you the plant" varieties are F1 hybrids which are created through careful, sometimes secret, cross pollination processes. A stable variety when crossed with the same stable variety will create a particular F1; an F1 crossed with an F1 will create a chaotic F2, which would need to be selectively bred again for several generations to create a stable variety. F1s aren't created for controlling seed supply. It's because they have desirable traits.

For stuff like watermelons we're looking at hybrids because consumers tend to prefer the seedless versions. For stuff like grapes we're actually looking at clones because consumers prefer the seedless versions.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

TV Zombie posted:

I am curious as to what food the shrimps are being skewered on.

I think that it might be the brussels sprouts stalk from the sprouts at the front... or maybe even an untrimmed one

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

lol when he tries to close the lid and it just blorps out

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Oh poo poo this looks like something made by a dude who wears a cape and names his car

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

The "why" on the forbidden cheese sauce is probably "safety demonstration"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

UwUnabomber posted:

Budak noodles make my boyfriend's eyes water in the next room while I cook them. They're the best.

The problem I have with them is that the buldak sauce often just overpowers the other flavours they package with it. Balance things out a bit! :argh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

is that a sausage patty

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

that is hilariously disappointing.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

why would anyone adulterate good maple with pedestrian brown sugar

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Kenning posted:

Century eggs are incredibly delicious and surprisingly mild-tasting. Flavor-wise they're like a medium-strength brie. The yolk is dense and creamy, and the white is pleasingly gelatinous. I can't think of any other food where the appearance is so much more crazy than the eating experience. The best first way to try them is in congee, usually described as "dried pork and preserved egg congee" or something, but they're also good with silken tofu like in the last photo.

That was not at all my experience of century eggs. The ones we tried were overpoweringly strong in their smell and they tasted of soap. Someone actually came in from the next room and said "holy poo poo what the gently caress is that smell?" when they had no idea what was going on. 3/4 of the people who were going to try them immediately noped out from the stench and the remainder of us took one bite and threw them out.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Helios Grime posted:

Maybe they were actually bad?

I just had some for the first time last weekend at a Chinese place and yeah, very mild taste overall and the most weird thing, apart from the looks of course, was the texture.

Yeah in reflection that's quite possible. This was like 17 years ago or something, and since then I've had smaller bits of century egg in other dishes served to me, and it wasn't anywhere near as terrible, but I always just wrote that off as equivalent to the difference between eating a big clove of garlic and having some minced garlic on top of something, or chomping down on a spoonful of salt instead of just sprinkling some on top.

Still not gonna go buy century eggs from the store again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Brawnfire posted:

The half peach was so ubiquitous in recipes for a while

There are vanishingly few things I would desire a half peach on top of

Pancakes actually is on the list but not like this

Canned peaches were like the major treat for some people who grew up in the 50s and 60s, so it makes sense to see them as the centrepiece of recipes from the 70s.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Captain Hygiene posted:

I actually liked Pepto Bismol as a kid, even with that chalky taste. Probably something to do with also loving those definitely-not-rolaids wintergreen lozenges we used to get at gas stations on road trips.

unflavoured for me!

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

What :psyduck: me about that girl's heart attack red bull pump drink is that she seems to have disposable cups at home.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If you can taste the beans, it's a waste of brownies. If you can't, it's a waste of beans.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

this is a gnocchi recipe

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Shashouka is a top-tier dish and there are infinite amazing variations on it.

Throw some kind of cured meat in the sauce. Dry chorizo is good and fits the flavour profile nicely. Going to try it with home-made dry ham soon. Calabrian salami is good too.
Scramble the eggs and add extra cheese so it's like a dip.
Lots of fresh peppers, spicy or sweet
Green tomatoes
Broiled to make the top crispy
Steamed to make it soft and stewy

Serve with pita or sourdough or whatever nice bread you have.

And the sauce can be as easy as squirting a tablespoon of harissa into some oil in a pan, letting it fry a spell, and then adding your favourite tomato sauce. Get that simmering, crack in your eggs, throw on the lid, and there you go. Or leave the lid off and bake it.

Can you tell that I make it regularly? (I have hens and grow my own tomatoes)

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I unironically love cottage cheese but I have a bad habit of forgetting the second half of the container after I open it because nobody else likes it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

people juice apples with garburators

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

do 100 lbs of onions with a weed hwacker on a tarp

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Someone gave me a cutco boning knife and it's Quite Good

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

In some baked goods raisins can soak up way too much moisture and become horrible mushy landmines

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

zedprime posted:

That's not what they are there for?

If this is a continuing problem can't you just chop them?

I'm ok with the raisins when they're still chewy. And I'm not talking about the goods I bake - I'm talking about the mushy baked goods I get in other places.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

maybealabia posted:

Good Lord it took way too much mental calibration to see that as anything other than a bathtub

How thread poisoned is my brain that I was like "loving bathtub" and didn't even think about it more til I saw your post and looked again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Have you been up all night eating 23 pound tub of expired donut glaze?

I think I'm blind

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Chip McFuck posted:

Pretty much. All her recipe cards involved putting the ingredients together in a pot or dish and either boiling or baking until they were gray and a uniform mush.

I remember her recipe for meatloaf was to plop the ground beef straight from the packaging into a baking dish and throwing it in the oven for two hours. Served by itself, too, so there wasn't even a boiled vegetable to break up the meal.

I'm imagining a woman looking at the beef, then at the baking dish, back at the beef, and going "hmm where did I put the recipe for this..."

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Max Holloway rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

:stonklol: