Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

I watched the first four last night and I am just so happy (just like the 2011 season) that the boys are back on the air and just as funny as ever. Have any other shows had two successful revivals this far apart?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I actually keep meaning to watch because the clips I've seen from the show have cracked me up good. I watched the whole revival movie and didn't chuckle once but I wasn't very invested, but if that fire clip was representative I'm excited to check it out. I hated Beavis & Butthead as a kid outside of the making fun of music videos part, which is mostly the part you cant see anymore. If I do like it, it'll be the first time I've liked a revival and disliked the OG lol. Unless Star Trek TNG counts.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Until the Do America movie came out I was largely on the "the riffs are the real show, the narrative parts are kind of the B-side" train. But then the movie was bonkers good and I was like welp, never mind

This revival's riffs edge out the narratives for me by just the same margin as the original did. It's crazy how well this works

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Though and by the way, the end of Nice Butt-head was kind of a :stare: rough lol, with the banging on the wall and Beavis' ... shouts

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Data Graham posted:

Though and by the way, the end of Nice Butt-head was kind of a :stare: rough lol, with the banging on the wall and Beavis' ... shouts

Even more rough when the next episode is Butthead still abusing Beavis in old age :lol:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
hmm yes quite droll.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Even more rough when the next episode is Butthead still abusing Beavis in old age :lol:

Him running over Beavis was just super brutal.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

muscles like this! posted:

Him running over Beavis was just super brutal.

Lol wasn’t gonna let him buy that health food Count Chocula

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Lol wasn’t gonna let him buy that health food Count Chocula

We need beer!

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Jose Oquendo posted:

hmm yes quite droll.

whimsical, very whimsical

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Yeah but I was more getting at the .. overtones of the wall-banging and how that whole thing reads.

It's not subtle exactly but for B&B it's kind of a trick shot out of the backfield

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Aug 27, 2022

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Seeing "original" B&B as middle aged adults was fun, also I think they brought back the framing device from the recent movie to shoot down anyone trying to make too much sense of continuity and asking why other characters haven't aged. Despite the movie, these episodes just take place in a reality where everyone was born later.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I hope it becomes a recurring thing. Just every 12 shorts or so, let's see a Different Beavis and Butt-Head.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Starting to guess Paramount+ isn't the A list streaming service. I'm already paying stop with the mandatory 30 second ads, especially ads for the new season of Beavis & Butthead that I am trying to watch.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

Ublock origin is working on Paramount Plus most of the time. Maybe been once or twice where Paramount Plus has popped an error for blocking ads.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

egon_beeblebrox posted:

I hope it becomes a recurring thing. Just every 12 shorts or so, let's see a Different Beavis and Butt-Head.

I think Judge has hinted that middle age B&B will at least be a reoccurring thing.

I’m loving the new season so far. I’m not sure I’d want King of the Hill back but B&B works today.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I remember when they were first talking about doing another B&B revival, there was a period of time when the plan was to have them be adults, but then they changed their mind.

It made me wonder if this episode was originally the "pilot" for the "Adult B&B" show and even though they decided to not go that route, they just slapped the "Smart B&B" framing device on it and repurposed it as an episode.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I noticed that old Butthead is a lot less in shape in the episode than he is when they were watching the music video. That tells me he just looked like this for the premise of this episode and they’re gonna have more of them older.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

There's been so many iterations of "old B&B" over the years, they're always a little different in design and circumstances but the idea keeps coming up. The two bikers they meet in Do America who are implied to be their dads for example, and I'm pretty sure I remember the same middle-aged designs appearing either in the show or at least in the "This Book Sucks" book

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!

Data Graham posted:

There's been so many iterations of "old B&B" over the years, they're always a little different in design and circumstances but the idea keeps coming up. The two bikers they meet in Do America who are implied to be their dads for example, and I'm pretty sure I remember the same middle-aged designs appearing either in the show or at least in the "This Book Sucks" book

IIRC, they appeared in the one episode of the original series where they were peeping on a nudist camp and saw some naked women, and at the end it cut to old B&B still reminiscing about having seen those naked women.

Also I believe Judge said in an interview that there's going to be an episode where old B&B have to do jury duty, so we have that to look forward to. :)

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Sydney Bottocks posted:

IIRC, they appeared in the one episode of the original series where they were peeping on a nudist camp and saw some naked women, and at the end it cut to old B&B still reminiscing about having seen those naked women.

Also I believe Judge said in an interview that there's going to be an episode where old B&B have to do jury duty, so we have that to look forward to. :)

"Give him the chair! the chair!"

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
1 2 3 4 beat your meat upon the floor
(beat your meat, beat your meat)
5 6 7 8 beat your meat with a roller skate
9 10 11 12 beat your meat until it swells
13 14 15 16 beat your meat without resisting
17 18 19 20 beat your meat, you still got plenty

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

1 2 3 4 beat your meat upon the floor
5 6 7 8 beat your meat with a roller skate
9 10 11 12 beat your meat until it swells
13 14 15 16 beat your meat without resisting
17 18 19 20 beat your meat, you still got plenty

I laughed so hard watching this my morning Monster came out my nose.

edit: Holy poo poo. Never spank your monkey at a crime scene. This is an A++++++++ all-timer episode.

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Sep 1, 2022

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

A bit surreal seeing them use video game terms.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

SeANMcBAY posted:

A bit surreal seeing them use video game terms.

They do game. Virtual Stupidity is even the title of a B&B video game.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I laughed so hard watching this my morning Monster came out my nose.

For me, it was the end of the second half that made me do that. And I have a cold so it was one of those difficult laughs.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Jose Oquendo posted:

They do game. Virtual Stupidity is even the title of a B&B video game.

I remember that. They always seemed uninterested in games in the old ones. Nerd Stuart stuff.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Lot of sympathetic pain in the second episode this week.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ugh, Middle Aged Butt-head looked like too many people I see around.

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
i like the new episodes

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Data Graham posted:

Until the Do America movie came out I was largely on the "the riffs are the real show, the narrative parts are kind of the B-side" train. But then the movie was bonkers good and I was like welp, never mind

This revival's riffs edge out the narratives for me by just the same margin as the original did. It's crazy how well this works

i'm feeling like the plotlines are way better than the riff segments this season. most of the time, they're not interacting with the video at all after the first few seconds. must be a conscious decision to not be having them mock the videos. like the camila cabello video - beavis just wonders if it's thanksgiving in the video and then butthead spends the rest of the skit calling his mum a slut (which is probably my least favourite joke they do, just not funny to me). they've got nothing to say about the video other than it's pretty cool. feels like this is most of the video segments.

i'm enjoying all the plot antics a lot more. pretty much every episode is funny. i was catching up today and the doppleganger, nice butthead and old B+B (plus smart b+b) were all great.

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Sep 3, 2022

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It does feel like Mike Judge isn't / wasn't too interested in a lot of the video segments he's riffing on. But he's also like 60 years old and trying to riff on videos made for Gen Z idiots.

Mylan
Jun 19, 2002

I've seen and read old interviews with Mike judge where he talks about his process for the video segments. A lot of the time it's just him talking to himself to figure out the dialog for B&B, and if the video doesn't interest him much he'll just go off on an unrelated tangent. However, what I have noticed is different so far is the level of criticism in the videos. The older stuff was way more harsh, personal, and in some cases homophobic. It did cause a lot of grief for some bands, like for example Winger. I suspect they want to tone that down to what's considered acceptable for the modern age in order to come across as poking fun instead of bullying, especially when you consider that youtubers and tik-tokkers are possible targets now.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Correct me if I am wrong, but my perception was that when they were making fun of videos on Old MTV, they were a punk act taking the piss out of Hollywood media interests and try-hard trend chasers. But now that Judge enjoys more of a position of power and the show is a pretty institutionalized Hollywood property itself, it would be pretty cheap for them to punch down at Youtubers.

As stupid as some of the new videos are, there's nothing much novel about idiots trolling content creators these days either.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

i guess all those are fair points - if it's be too cruel vs be kinda forgettable, i'll take the latter, since i'm mostly here for the storylines like i said.

just watched the do the universe movie. good stuff! i didn't realise the smart and old versions started in the movie, and that it sets up why they are still 16 or whatever in 2022.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 38 days!
I do recall reading something about the 2011 revival, that after they did "It's So Cold in the D", how the lady that did the song said she appreciated the exposure it gave her but she never got contacted about or paid for their use of her song on the show. And that Mike Judge apparently didn't know that was the case, so when he found out he was mortified and had his people contact her and cut her a check. I'm guessing that whoever picked the song just figured since it wasn't a song on YT that was put up by a major label or artist, that it was basically free to use.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

"That's where he keeps his wife's skeleton."

"...That's pretty dark, Butt-head."

:lmao: I love how somehow they've absorbed enough sensitivity to arrive at just the right level of self-awareness and punching-in-the-right-direction for 2022

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

holy poo poo old Stewart.

Small White Dragon
Nov 23, 2007

No relation.
I was wondering if he'd show up.

Them drinking DDT was a little tough to watch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Small White Dragon posted:

I was wondering if he'd show up.

Them drinking DDT was a little tough to watch.

I thought that was just ok. I found the earlier part of the episode funnier. Beavis and Butthead lawn having zero grass compared to Anderson's perfectly maintained lawn was great. Anderson complaining about how lovely pesticides are today and bragging about going to Mexico to buy DDT had me laughing pretty good.