Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Monday is fine. 10 and 13, cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Monday's good. Same rules as previous drafts: Draft window is open from 10 am-10 pm Eastern time, two hour exclusive windows for each GM to pick otherwise skipped (and continues for subsequent turns if picks have not been made). You can pick outside of the draft window if it's your turn, but you are not obligated to pick after hours. (i.e. if someone picks after hours, the next person's picking window is still 10 am-12 pm Eastern time the next morning).

Don't push yourself, be creative, have fun with it. Draft some loving lads.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Oh, and when you pick a fellow, tell us what 5 year period of his career it is. Once a player is picked, he's off the board.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Monday’s good.

For mass chaos, if you’re cool with giving me the Flyers instead of Blues, I’m switching and taking the Flyers.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Duckman2008 posted:

Monday’s good.

For mass chaos, if you’re cool with giving me the Flyers instead of Blues, I’m switching and taking the Flyers.

Done.

Almost made you the Thunder Bay Flyers. They have a great logo.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
you might wanna send PMs or something to the people who signed up and aren't in disc

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
so what are the rules this time around?

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET
Copying and slightly modifying from T-Bone's post in the original one:

quote:

RULES
1. Players you select must have played one game in the NHL post 1967 (expansion era) OR played in a major international competition post 1967 (Canada Cup, Olympics, World Cup). Taking Dit Clapper would be cool, but this gives us a more a reasonable length of time to cover, while still allowing for two of the top five player of all-time (Gordie and Bobby), and obvious all-timers like Tretiak.

1a. Pre-1967 EXCEPTIONS: You are allowed to take three (3) players from a pre-1967 season! Provided of course they have not been picked before.

2. When selecting a player, please include the era you are selecting them from. If you want New York Rangers Jagr, then by god you take New York Rangers Jagr. Of course, players are only eligible to be selected once. NOTE: This era must be from post-1967 unless you are using your exceptions!

2a. Neal Smith rules (no salary cap).

3. The draft timer only runs from 10:00 AM EST to 10:00 PM EST. It is snake format (so at pick #32, that team also picks #33 and so on). Each drafting team has a 2 hour window during this period and that 2 hours rolls over - if your pick comes on the clock at 9 PM, you have until 11 AM the next day to make your choice. If someone fails to draft within that time, their pick is skipped. They will be auto-skipped until they return to make whatever picks are still due of them. You can pick outside of this window as long as it is your pick, but the timer will not be running on anyone. If you know you are unable to be around to make your pick, there are always several people around that you can send a short list of players to and they will pick for you.

4. We will be selecting 23 players and 1 head coach. You need to take at least 12 forwards, 6 defenseman, and 2 goalies. Head coaches follow the same exception rules as players

5. We will have a 32 team limit in the draft, and you may select as your franchise any NHL team (even pre-1967). Wanna be the Cleveland Barons? loving go for it. Of course, we can only have one of each team.

6. Make it fun! When drafting Mark Messier, please post Mark Messier's balls.

7. Join the discord if you can! It makes picking a lot faster and smoother and funnier: https://discord.gg/aatr9vy9qv

Here are some resources that I'll also add:

HHOF Members: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_members_of_the_Hockey_Hall_of_Fame

NHL All-time leaders and records: https://www.hockey-reference.com/leaders/

Legends of Hockey profiles: http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayersNameMenu.jsp

NHL.com's 100 Greatest Players Ever (not featuring Evgeni Malkin): https://www.nhl.com/fans/nhl-centennial/100-greatest-nhl-players

Hockey News's 100 Greatest Players ever circa 1998: https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_100_greatest_NHL_players_by_The_Hockey_News

The 20 Greatest Hockey Players to never play in the NHL (maybe): https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1093848-the-20-greatest-hockey-players-to-never-play-in-the-nhl#slide0

More Great Soviets to not play in the NHL: https://thehockeynews.com/news/article/russians-who-never-played-in-the-nhl

Greatest NHL Head Coach in every team's history: https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1378097-the-greatest-coach-in-every-nhl-teams-history#slide10

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Also, the link to the draft sheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1GWE1tBPe65huJvjxdLn1BcgCMJvGrHZMWC3kDUKbl1I/edit?usp=sharing

Let me know if there are any issues.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

T-Bone posted:

you might wanna send PMs or something to the people who signed up and aren't in disc

I, uh, don't have pm's anymore

I will agree that people should post Mark Messier's balls

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
We begin tomorrow at 10 AM EST, folks, with WeaponX leading us off

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Well let me get this thing started with a very uneventful pick....

The Minnesota North Stars select

Edmonton Oilers-era Wayne Gretzky.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Austin Ice Bats select C Mario Lemieux, era 85-90

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

Not currently editable

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

JawKnee posted:

Not currently editable

Oops, I’ll fix it when I get home from work.

In the mean time, Monarchs will take the Dominator, Dominik Hasek.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
WeaponX/Vancouver on the clock until 1 49pm EST

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Vancouver Canucks select

Bobby Orr 69-75

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Renfrew Creamery Kings select

Gordie Howe, 1951-1955

4 All star selections, 4 Art Ross tropies (outscoring #2 by 15-20 points in each of those winning years), 2 Harts, 3 Stanley Cups. A truly incredible run. Also despite coming from Saskatchewan, he just looks like a good Renfrew boy.

VOTE1 is up next.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Vote1 has until 2:35pmEST

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
JawKnee (4:35 PM EST)
Ginette Reno
Jordan7hm
fawning deference
DO YALL WANT A BOXC

Skipped:
VOTE1 (x1)

edit: DM'ed VOTE, just in case.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Aug 1, 2022

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

The california golden seals select with their first pick the dominant center, from his 1971-1974 years, Phil Esposito

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

Dominik Hasek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBU0h-7wVD8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBA_k1NSgnI

I wanted to start off with a goaltender, and there’s none better than the Dominator. Probably the best goalie of all time, Hasek led the NHL in save percentage (and a whole bunch of more advanced metrics) every year from 1993-94 to 1998-99, won 5 Vezina trophies and back to back Hart trophies (the only goalie ever to win more than one Hart), and led an absolutely terrible Buffalo Sabres team (redundant, I know) to the Stanley Cup Finals. No matter how good the team I draft ends up being, Hasek can carry them.

mentholmoose fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Aug 1, 2022

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I'd like to thank this beautiful thread for hosting the draft. This is a wonderful repository to make posts in. The Cleveland Barons select, from Kladno, of the Czech Republic, Jaromir Jagr. Era 95-2001. We feel that - after the big 4 of Mario, Wayne, Gordie, and Bobby - there has not been a more singularly dominant offensive force.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Jordan7hm has until 6:25pmEST

VOTE1
Aug 23, 2007

I’ll take Crosby

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
The Ottawa Hockey Club will come back to this pick later on, but for now will just make it really quick:

Connor McDavid is on another level, probably should have more than the 2 Hart trophies he’s had in the last five years. We’re happy to build our team using the Edmonton Oiler blueprint.

e: fawning deference is up

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I lucked into it again. I'm taking 1989-1994 Mark Messier.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

fawning deference posted:

I lucked into it again. I'm taking 1989-1994 Mark Messier.

This should just be 1994 Mark Messier

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Ginette Reno posted:

This should just be 1994 Mark Messier

I'd be fine with that

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
DO YALL WANT A BOXCA up until 739pmEST

DO YALL WANT A BOXC
Jul 20, 2010

HAHA! WOOOOOOO WOOO!
Fun Shoe
Because we are not Quebec, the Maroons select prime Eric Lindros

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
The Quebec Nordiques are now under new management. Goodbye shithead Marcel Aubut, hello corn on the cop. We don't have a stellar winning history, so we'll take one of the greatest winners and defensemen of all time to lead us into a new era. The reason why Ken Holland is in the Hall of Fame.

Nicklas Lidstrom (2000-08)

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Fawning Deference now on clock until 9:39pmEST

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I'm taking 1995-2003 Martin Brodeur.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

fawning deference posted:

I'm taking 1995-2003 Martin Brodeur.

Can you limit it to 5?

T-bone on clock until 10pm

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Aug 2, 2022

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Can you limit it to 5?

T-bone on clock until 10pm

97-01

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

corn on the cop posted:

The Quebec Nordiques are now under new management. Goodbye shithead Marcel Aubut, hello corn on the cop. We don't have a stellar winning history, so we'll take one of the greatest winners and defensemen of all time to lead us into a new era. The reason why Ken Holland is in the Hall of Fame.

Nicklas Lidstrom (2000-08)

Can you also limit it to 5 yrs

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
This is a guy I wanted to take last draft and one of my favorite old NHL guys to watch video of. Incredibly ahead of his time, looks like an old timey Mario Lemieux in his highlights.

Also won 10 loving Stanley Cups and was a cultural icon in Montreal, it feels weird to bring him to Hartford but I'm gonna do it anyway.

The Whalers select the great Jean Béliveau (1955-1966).

This will be my first pre-67 pick (and the first one of the draft).

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

T-Bone posted:

This is a guy I wanted to take last draft and one of my favorite old NHL guys to watch video of. Incredibly ahead of his time, looks like an old timey Mario Lemieux in his highlights.

Also won 10 loving Stanley Cups and was a cultural icon in Montreal, it feels weird to bring him to Hartford but I'm gonna do it anyway.

The Whalers select the great Jean Béliveau (1955-1966).

This will be my first pre-67 pick (and the first one of the draft).

This is Gordie Howe erasure.

Beliveau good though. I feel like he went a lot earlier this time than the last all time draft I was in. I feel like I got him in like rounds 3 or 4.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
oh whoops