Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thanks for the new OP, well written.

For the "how to computer" you'll need an audio interface, this can be anything from the Rocksmith USB RealTone Cable, or more commonly a standalone interface like the Scarlett Solo (which would be a good initial recommend as it's pretty inexpensive: https://smile.amazon.com/Focusrite-Scarlett-Audio-Interface-Tools/dp/B07QR6Z1JB ) in conjunction with a software DAW like Reaper, which is free, Audacity, also free, which really isn't a DAW but will allow you to play into your computer, or my personal favorite and also not a DAW but a standalone effects emulator which can ALSO be run inside a DAW as a VST plugin, Bias FX. Bias offers a ton of modeling for pedals, amps, yadda yadda and is pretty cheap for the standalone/VST package. I can go further than that if you'd like deeper explanations for everything.

Bias FX: Pedal/Amp Emulation with ability to modify signal chain, pedal placement, mic placement on cabinet, knobs, amp/cab models, just about anything you can do in reality. Also has metronomes and tuners.

Reaper: Standalone DAW with VST compatibility, etc. Here's Bias FX running as a VST inside Reaper!

Audacity: Free audio processor, will allow you to set your input as your interface and hear your guitar through your speakers/headphones, that's about it.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Jul 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luna posted:

Not sure if you guys can help me here. I have a Jim Root jazzmaster body that I need to get a neck for. I really don't like the neck that comes with it and would like something closer to a charvel. The way the neck heel is rounded, I don't think I can order one off of Warmoth or where ever. Any advice on where I can look?

Where did you find that, I really want one but don't want to shell out for one :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luna posted:

One showed up on stratosphere a while back and I grabbed it. I've seen them randomly on ebay before but you really have to just keep an eye out. You can also go the aliexpress route if you're just looking to use it for parts.

I don't really follow jim root, but I've been wanting a HH hardtail Jazzmaster. There isn't a lot of selection so I'm going to frankenstein some parts together in an attempt to get what I want. It's also going to be my first refinishing project because I don't like the satin black.

My goal is to turn it in to a jazzmaster version of this charvel: https://charvel.com/gear/shape/so-cal/style-2/pro-mod-so-cal-style-2-24-hh-ht-cm/2966561527

Nice that looks like a blast, the whole 'hotrod just a volume pot' thing kind of gets me, but then at the same time especially with the Root signature tele, I feel like paying big bucks for less controls is just weird. Have fun with your project!

e; oh hey there's one on ebay unfinished with no electronics for 350 bucks shipped right now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Agreed posted:

It's cool, I actually would like to form a ska band with you now that I know you are serious about your particular trumpet

You could also teach me how to play a trumpet, which as I understand it from expertise gleaned from hearsay in these recent posts, would allow you to write off that trumpet. :kiddo:

then I could bring the freaks out to the floor whenever I wanted...

bassist for ska band, reporting

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

sorry to the thread for the sweep picking poo poo and pretentiousness

my life sucks right now, and i'm very stressed and kinda going through it. browsed the forums at the wrong time

you'll get through it!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Don't be afraid of lessons, you could learn some really great stuff from someone that knows that what they're doing. And just keep in mind, (almost) every single other person that has sat down with that teacher will have been in the exact same spot as you.

I had some weird embarrassment signing up for private lessons as a full on adult, was weird for about 3 seconds then realized that it's actually :krad: and there was nothing to fear but buying more gear.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

TheMightyBoops posted:

I use the Tortex TIIIs which I think is just a Tortex Jazz III at .73 mm. I love them except that the ink on them runs off onto my fingers within 20 min of playing one. I thought they were maybe counterfeit, but I think that’s just how they are. They’re great once all the ink comes off.

Edit: Also I bought an Ibanez AG75G hollow
body, very excited to practice with something that has a little more resonance when not plugged in.

Been using a white .73 tortex jaxx III for almost 6mo with almost all of the ink intact. I need to play harder perhaps.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

a.p. dent posted:

i played on flatwound 12s for a while, it was pretty brutal

50-105 flats on the bass :(

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

if someone mailed me root beer barrels i would call the cops

I'll give you my shipping address for when you order sweetwater, delicious parcels await me

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wrong number of strings, I know, but gf got me a fret polishing kit for Christmas and holy poo poo I'm such a gross goon without even knowing it.

It's magical!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Lester Shy posted:

It feels stupid spending $20 on it, but my favorite piece of cheap gear over the past year is this Daddario guitar dock because I'm always playing at the desk or on the couch and I had to get out of the habit of laying it down on the floor like an animal.

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-Accessories-PW-GD-01-Planet-Guitar/dp/B00FLXNM9M

I have hardwood and would be so worried about the guitar sliding out via the bottom moving, but this is awesome anyway.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Luna posted:

They sell a pad for the guitar but at that point you're managing 2 pieces, might as well get a full stand. I did pick one of these up for the beater in my office.

Figured, I have a wall mount next to my desk so it's only one extra step, can't be too lazy I suppose.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

havelock posted:

I use a herman miller mirra that I bought ages ago and sometimes sit down to play and I never notice the arm rests. I don't regret spending so much on a chair at all.

I use an aeron and have swapped to classical because of the armrests. I assume my back will thank me eventually, but the edge of the plastic frame of the aeron sure does a number on my butt after about an hour.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Thumposaurus posted:

The dumpster gods gave me a win tonight.

The Lester has a broken headstock(of course)
Easily glueable only major ding is between the pickups. Maybe I should route it for a third like some customs have.

The 12 string looks fine nothing appears to be broken, they gutted the electronics but on something like this they are crap tier anyways.
I'll have to slap some strings on it see how the neck behaves.

Are you diving at guitar center or something?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

on monday some replacement screws are getting here and i'm just reeeeeaaaallllyyyy hoping i can get the stripped screw out somehow and raise the saddle enough to get rid of some of the buzzing. otherwise it'll be another couple weeks of me running into The Clang and it making me crazy.

reminder that it's this real bad buzz on the A string specifically on the 4th fret... so good luck playing a G#m or a C#m.

if it's a normal phillips head like on a pickguard or something, you can put a rubber band between the driver and screw for some extra grip, so says the internet.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

People getting a free peep show of those toes there.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

anyway re: pop punk:

i imprinted on paramore when i was a small child because my older brother, pre-brand new eyes, put riot on a little ipod shuffle i had. i've been cursed since then. my taste in music basically has not evolved since then.

at least you're not still hooked on 3rd wave ska like I am because of high school which was *checks notes* 21 years ago.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Baron von Eevl posted:

You should try learning some other styles. Sooner or later you'll pick it up pick it up pick it up goooooooooo

Probably how the conversation goes in my head 90% of the time not gonna lie

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Any SoCal goons interested in buying a Chapman Ghost Fret (original) or Ovation CC48? Both have hard cases, I guess I could ship if whoever wants to cover that cost.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

former glory posted:

This is some of that good guitar poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gG5X_y_bGU0

Medium Build - Rage - Live in a back yard.

The stank face is real with this guy, not bad though!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Owns confirmed.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I've got ties to the music industry, work for a huge vinyl/cd/hardware distributor, think that's enough cred to get into NAMM?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gramps posted:

You need a pass unless it's a public day. Most people weasel passes from other people who are already going or are gonna skip a day. Not sure if they still do a public day but if they do it'd be Sunday

Oh I meant as industry paying for a pass. I guess trying next year would be the easiest way to answer that, if it's not enough proxy they'll just say no I guess.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Gramps posted:

Yeah you just have to be a NAMM member which has annual dues. Shouldn't be too too crazy

A lot of people just wheedle a pass out of a rep or someone like that. When I worked the show in 2015 I think my boss was allocated 10 passes and he had like 5 or 6 buddies he gave passes to, so it may not even be worth it to join if that's all you want out of the deal. My friend Ryan is there right now and had dinner with Jens Bogren which is fuckin crazy

I don't have any buddies that go, unfortunately. I'm in mixed media so I've gone to E3 for the last 12 years or so (rest in piece), pass sharing was definitely a thing I did, many folks went as me on day 2 and 3 over the years haha.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Millencolin owns, that's the post

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

landgrabber posted:

i kind of decided earlier today that Clarity is my all timer album.

Losing Streak by Less Than Jake for me, never gets old.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

Hey guys, I bought one of those guitar wall hangers that are like the ones in guitar stores, that have multiple hooks you can adjust. Instead of screwing the metal plate straight to the wall(which doesn't line up with every stud perfectly, I'd have to drill more holes in it), I was thinking of cutting wood the same size as the hanger plate, and screwing the wood into the wall against the studs, then screwing the metal plate to the plywood. And I could still possibly line it up to get at least one hole in each section of the rack to go through both the wood and into the stud as well for extra support.

A 2x4 is just a bit too narrow at 3.5" wide. Would 3/4" plywood be strong enough you think? Each rack is technically 48", but it's really 3 16" pieces. So it would be a 48"x4" strip of plywood with 2 guitars on each 16" section of metal hanger rack lined up in a row. Most of my guitars are 6-7 lbs, the heaviest is 8. So I'd be looking at about 40 lbs on the full 48x4" piece of plywood which I should be able to get into at least 3 studs I think.

I have a length of 1x6 spanned between two studs like this holding up a 40lb bicycle+mount, been there years without any issues.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Currently I have two SwingString mounts being held up by drywall toggles because the stud placement next to my desk is not ~aesthetically pleasing~ and I couldn't be bothered to span them. One explorer, one bass, no issues!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anybody using BiasFX standalone or VST?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

$75 on local facebook, I've made an offer.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Hannah Montana Washburn has been secured, gotta clean it up and test it tomorrow!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

hadji murad posted:

I started playing the guitar a few months ago and really enjoy it. I’ve improved a lot but I’ve been trying to improve my chord technique and noticed how claw like my left hand is, even after 4 months of practice.

Are there any good exercises or techniques for increasing the flexibility of my fingers? I’ll keep practicing but feel like some other (old) person has been through this.

Isn't claw a good thing, meaning you're curling your fingers over to contact with the tips? I can't really make a claw with my left hand very well so my flat rear end grip often times mutes parts of chords that should be ringing properly.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

hadji murad posted:

I guess the curve is okay but the space between my fingers is really narrow.

When I curl my fingers, my second finger is really close to the first one and the other fingers are really narrow too. I need better finger spacing to master the more difficult chords.

With time that will come, I'm sure there's methods you can train with, which I am no way certified in explaining, but most of the technique stuff comes with practice.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

:rip: coolio

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Kazinsal posted:

After watching a bunch of CSGuitars videos on the process to build pickups I'm extremely tempted to buy a coil winding machine and financially cripple myself starting a side business doing handmade pickups.

Someone talk me out of this.

Less money to earn back if you wind by hand too. For real though, do this so I can live vicariously through you.