Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnJh4o8iwx0

The Rehearsal is a new show from Nathan Fielder of Nathan for You fame. Fielder is also the producer of the absolutely excellent HBO show How To With John Wilson

quote:

Nathan Fielder (Nathan For You, HBO’s How To with John Wilson) returns to television for a new series that explores the lengths one man will go to reduce the uncertainties of everyday life. With a construction crew, a legion of actors, and seemingly unlimited resources, Fielder allows ordinary people to prepare for life’s biggest moments by “rehearsing” them in carefully crafted simulations of his own design. When a single misstep could shatter your entire world, why leave life to chance?

Nathan Fielder is the Executive Producer, writer, director and star. Fielder is represented by UTA, Rise MGMT and Ziffren Brittenham LLP. Clark Reinking is Executive Producer (episode 101) and is represented by Ziffren Brittenham LLP. Dave Paige is Executive Producer (episodes 102-106) and is represented by Artists First and Ginsburg Daniels Kallis LLP. Christie Smith and Dan McManus Executive Produce for Rise Management.

Just days away from air date and we finally have a real trailer. It looks like fans of NFY will likely not be disappointed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2fjPFt8cpic

For anyone not familiar with his other work get on it. It's some of the funniest media ever produced by a human

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7BlydBMAVU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vbCKava_JE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCNsx_NyNOU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nathan For You is the best. How To with John Wilson is also the best. It only stands to reason that this will be the best too.

Here’s an excellent Vulture profile on Nathan with some info on The Rehearsal: https://www.vulture.com/article/nathan-fielder-rehearsal-profile.html

I think I’m actually more excited for this than the final set of Saul episodes.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

everything this guy touches is gold and i am extremely psyched for tonight!!!

in anticipation of the premiere i will be revisiting some classic Nathan moments

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2rgzsO-AMM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShhnPz9_0dk

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

NPR did a review of the entire season yesterday and the level of gushing was off the charts.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

"It's days like these that I curse the Chinese for inventing gunpowder." :fireman:

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

wa27 posted:

"It's days like these that I curse the Chinese for inventing gunpowder." :fireman:

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Nathan For You is one of my favorite shows of all time so I was already gonna watch this no questions asked, but I am extremely excited for what appears to basically be "Nathan Fielder does a real life version of Synecdoche, New York."

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

“My grandmother just died of brain cancer or something”

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Holy poo poo the final scene was amazing

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

Nathan Fielder is back on television and the universe is right again

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

That was art

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

You could probably make an extremely compelling follow-up show where they just go talk to all these people after they and everyone they know has presumably seen the episode air lol.

resident
Dec 22, 2005

WE WERE ALL UP IN THAT SHIT LIKE A MUTHAFUCKA. IT'S CLEANER THAN A BROKE DICK DOG.

I want to live in Nathan’s head for just a day. The dude is an absolute mad genius.

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
the cinema of that tracking shot where they exit to the skyline

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

You could probably make an extremely compelling follow-up show where they just go talk to all these people after they and everyone they know has presumably seen the episode air lol.
I know one of the women, who's not an actor and who tbh is pretty much exactly as portrayed. I don't know her well enough to grill her, but if she says anything on social media I'll report back. I'm super fascinated by how everything will unfold after they all see the show. That seems almost more interesting than the show itself.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

I know one of the women, who's not an actor and who tbh is pretty much exactly as portrayed. I don't know her well enough to grill her, but if she says anything on social media I'll report back. I'm super fascinated by how everything will unfold after they all see the show. That seems almost more interesting than the show itself.

Yeah, I always wondered even with Nathan For You how much behind-the-scenes sleight of hand was going on in terms of letting people know what they've actually gotten themselves into / how they come across in the larger context of the show. Because if they don't find out until it actually airs then woof some of these folks are probably gonna have some awkward situations to untangle.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Yeah, the last scene almost seems designed to defuse Real-Kor when he eventually watches it, like he can watch his own rehearsed catharsis. And then stay up all night trying to interpret the use of the Willy Wonka song.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah, I always wondered even with Nathan For You how much behind-the-scenes sleight of hand was going on in terms of letting people know what they've actually gotten themselves into / how they come across in the larger context of the show. Because if they don't find out until it actually airs then woof some of these folks are probably gonna have some awkward situations to untangle.

Afaik they never let anyone in on the joke with NFY. A few people featured on it did Reddit AMAs and I think for the most part people just go along with it because they want to be on TV or don't want to be rude etc. They seemed to mostly just think it was fun that they got on TV regardless of how they were portrayed.

Nathan for You was actually really close to the concept for the Rehearsal in how it was made. The episodes were basically scripted as much as possible around predicting how regular people would react to the situations he put them in. And although I've never seen Nathan comment on it, I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they use editing heavily to get the narrative/comedy they are looking for even if it means misrepresenting exactly how things went down.

There were always a lot of what I'm pretty sure are real moments on the show though. And with the rehearsal am 100% convinced that the dude lying about his degree actually was a really big deal to him, and that he was alarmingly serious about bar trivia

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

One thing that surprised me about the Rehearsal so far was that the actors he hired are actually good. Was 100% expecting "the first actor that responded to my craigslist ad" being a huge part of the butt of the joke. But honestly the two main actors in this episode knocked it out of the park and it actually added more nuance to the whole thing instead of it feeling like a straight up gag.

Like, I felt like I could sense that the woman who played the friend found the real woman super annoying and channeled it into her performance in a way that actually really reminded me of their birding encounter. And the dude who played Cal(?) really sold his disgust with nathans trivia fixing.

I won't spoil it but the NPR played a pretty wild clip with one of the actors and I have no idea what is real or fake anymore. I can't wait to see the context when the episode airs.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I always wanted a Hitman TV show, but I never believed it would be like this.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
From the few scant bits of info from the people who were in NFY and were willing to push the limits of their NDAs, the impression I get is that while few people are formally let in on the joke, they're also more primed to expect weirdness than the show lets on--for example, Jasmine did not randomly meet Corey on a dating app; she responded to a casting call for a dating reality show. And all the women (it wasn't just Jasmine who met "Corey") could easily tell it was a latex mask but they assumed there was going to be a reveal like it was Tom Cruise or something under it). One of the members of the fake band also said he strongly suspected that their lead singer was an inside man for Nathan.

veni veni veni posted:

I won't spoil it but the NPR played a pretty wild clip with one of the actors and I have no idea what is real or fake anymore. I can't wait to see the context when the episode airs.

Got a link at least?

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, I was just getting ready to post about the Jasmine AMA on reddit. It's a good one. It's kind of fascinating though because most of the interactions are real in the sense that they don't feed them lines and a lot of the editing that she mentions was just for clarity or reframing events (I think she said that there was a second date that they ended up cutting, so they had to ADR part of his good to her to fix the timeline). Like, I wonder if the fake dating game was originally a concept on the episode that they cut because it just wasn't that interesting, they didn't have enough time, or they decided it was repeating a concept they'd done before.

The AMAs seem to confirm that the only big fake thing with Nathan for You is that just about everyone knew that they were going to be on a TV show which is going to shift their behavior and make them put up with a lot more silly stuff. Then again, at some point that was part of the meta joke for the show. In the Finding Frances finale they even kind of address that by taking a little time at the start to acknowledge this "in universe" and explore what makes a person pretend to be a Bill Gates impersonator just so he can be a weird guy on a TV show.

It also adds some humor to the kid stuff when you know that the parents agreed to put their kids through all this out of desperation for an acting credit so that their kid can be a star. Or that the rabbi arguing that it's in fact very respectful to put a full-scale crematory display in a clothing store is probably doing it because he thinks that this could be his big break on the TV expert circuit.

I would love more behind the scenes stuff though. The end of Eric Andre's Bad Trip featured a lot of footage of the actual filming and prep process, and it was really interesting. Especially because they let you see how many times they just had people who quietly bailed or didn't react in funny ways (or just got angry for real). It takes a lot of screening and prep to actually make funny spontaneous stuff.

Also loved this episode. Great start and it was a little more sweet than I expected. Going off of the previews it looks like next week might be more off the rails. I'm curious how weird they're going to get with the show.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jul 16, 2022

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Argue posted:

Got a link at least?

I listened on old timey radio but I'm sure they uploaded it to the site.

It was a clip of one of the actresses (furious) saying something along the lines of

"So am I the joke? When this airs is that the comedy just making me look stupid?"
Nathan: "No it's the situation that's silly. That's not what I'm trying to do"
"I watched your show I don't believe you"

or something really close to that. And they didn't give context so tbh I have no idea if it's something that's part of the bit or someone calling him out hard or whatever.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Nathan Fielder: producer of the only good reality tv.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
"you've seen some of my previous work, or....?"
"i'm afraid i haven't."
"i made a show called Nathan For You"
"oh, ok"
"...didn't you say your specialty was television trivia?"

:discourse:

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This was an incredible premiere oh man

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i didn't notice the first time, that the friend's reaction to the actual lie is almost verbatim the same as her reaction to the test lie :stare:

Panic! At The Tesco
Aug 19, 2005

FART

The actress just nailed the friend impression in general, I thought she was going to be terrible lol.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I don't know how to make a margarita.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

enjoyed it a lot. the funniest bit for me was when he was planting the answers for all the trivia questions. every bit of that was funny.

the rest was a mix of funny, because the situation is ridiculous, and just getting to know the person who has agreed to do this weird show. like, i wasn't cringing, because it didn't feel like anybody was really humiliating themselves. cringe comedy exhausts me.

i like how open it is, too. nathan for you was always going to be about some terrible business idea, they just built a lot around it. this could be about anything week to week.

i dunno reality tv, so do people know they are being filmed in some form or do they tell them after the fact and ask for a sign off?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
My god, Nathan For You with an HBO budget... it's beautiful. I was on the edge of my seat when Kor was waiting for the pizzas and didn't seem like he was going to confess.

Also I laughed so hard at Thrifty Boy.

Panic! At The Tesco posted:

The actress just nailed the friend impression in general, I thought she was going to be terrible lol.

She was legitimately great.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

veni veni veni posted:

I listened on old timey radio but I'm sure they uploaded it to the site.

It was a clip of one of the actresses (furious) saying something along the lines of

"So am I the joke? When this airs is that the comedy just making me look stupid?"
Nathan: "No it's the situation that's silly. That's not what I'm trying to do"
"I watched your show I don't believe you"

or something really close to that. And they didn't give context so tbh I have no idea if it's something that's part of the bit or someone calling him out hard or whatever.

i just listened to the review i think you mean and they set it up in the review as a moment where nathan asks an actress in character to do this, so it's part of a bit.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah they do say he asks her to do it as a potential outcome. I meant that the sell was good enough that I really couldn't tell if there was some sincerity behind it, and I'm not sure what the context was in regard to the theme of the episode.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Oh drat, Fake Kor was K Todd Freeman, aka Mr Trick from Buffy/Mr Poe from the Lemony Snicket Netflix series.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

Argue posted:

Oh drat, Fake Kor was K Todd Freeman, aka Mr Trick from Buffy/Mr Poe from the Lemony Snicket Netflix series.

haha no way. i thought he looked familiar. they could go the route of getting some actual known people sometimes when it's just nathan interacting with them.

i wish there was more than one episode out.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die
This was such a good episode of television. Nathan For You has more laughs per minute, but no real stakes... You know that the business owners are going to chuck Nathan's ideas as soon as he leaves, and none of it ultimately matters (although that's also kind of the point).

This is the opposite... There are real stakes! You really don't want to see Kor destroy his friendship! It's terrifying seeing Nathan in charge of something which "actually matters" rather than just over the top gags.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Polo-Rican posted:

This is the opposite... There are real stakes! You really don't want to see Kor destroy his friendship! It's terrifying seeing Nathan in charge of something which "actually matters" rather than just over the top gags.

I liked Nathan touching base with him after showing him the worst case scenario of what could happen.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Yeah moment to moment its not as laugh out loud hilarious as NFY but I think it’s just as good. The tone is just different and feels more surreal. There was still rarely more than a couple of minutes going by where I wasn’t cracking up though.

Even though John Wilson isn’t Nathan’s show I’d say the rehearsal is tonally closer to that than it is to NFY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tetramin
Apr 1, 2006

I'ma buck you up.

roomtone posted:

i dunno reality tv, so do people know they are being filmed in some form or do they tell them after the fact and ask for a sign off?

My understanding is that with Nathan for you, the people would answer some sort of casting call type of thing to be on an MTV show that features their business, and once the contracts were all signed, Nathan would start interacting with them.

So yes they all know they’re gonna be on TV, which I think is sort of part of the point with Nathan for you. Some of the people are aspiring actors, some just wanna get some time on TV, some want to promote their business by being on TV. So some of the show seemed like just seeing what kind of stuff people will do for their time on camera. I don’t think NFY was really as “mean” as some people say.

I don’t have a link handy right now, but a long time ago I watched a video of Nathan appearing on that LA morning radio show with the guy who owns the burger joint where they offered $100 to anyone who says it isn’t the best burger in LA. It’s kind of interesting to watch because the appearance wasn’t on the show or anything, it was just to bring the crowd to the shop for the day of the event. It’s a different side of the Nathan you don’t see on the show, and he really sort of lays into the two obnoxious hosts for razzing the owner who probably has zero idea what to do when you’re mic’d on the biggest radio show in LA lol.

E: oops while I spazzed out about NFY I forgot to say that this first episode was really loving good, and the end when it switched to the actor during Nathan’s confession about the trivia cheating killed me. I’m really excited to see more.