Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

Feels Villeneuve posted:

"learned helplessness" is a nasty term but there are online spaces where self-improvement and self-sufficiency are encouraged, and there are ones where it is outright discouraged. you can usually tell the bad ones because people who attempt to fix their problems are treated as traitors - there's less of a gap between a lot of the worst "mental health" spaces online, and anti-woman channer-esque spaces where people refuse to learn social skills than anyone involved in these might admit.

like when i talked with smokers (of all people), any time someone would quit everyone would congratulate them, but so many people i see are fully submerged in spaces where they get socially rewarded for adopting their mental health troubles as an identity, and socially ostracized for even thinking about treating it

Back in the old days before CSPAM existed, one of the D&D mods (who later became a CSPAM IK or mod), threatened to probe me for giving personal finance advice to someone who wasn't sure what to do with their money (he was keeping everything in cash because he was afraid of the stock markets and banks) because by giving him personal finance advice I was victim blaming him and putting the responsibility for his finances on them, which was denying/downplaying the systemic problems of capitalism.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Sep 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

I also forgot that I actually ate a ban for this post pointing out that the average American was not better off in the 1950's (when roughly 1/5th of Americans couldn't legally work at the same office or go to the same grocery store with white people in 11 states) than they were today because it implied that improvement was possible under capitalism.

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

JustJeff88 posted:

Seriously, don't feed the trolls. Leon is just another version of the Fox News pundit who says "SEE, MOST POOR PEOPLE HAVE A REFRIGERATOR, SO EVERYTHING IS FINE - CHECKMATE LIEBERALS"

I'm all for people here taking a break from watching Sears being sucked dry to commiserate with each other how late-stage capitalism and noeliberalism have hosed you over, but trolls are like bonfires: just don't feed them and they'll die. Also, they should be pissed on.

Do you think that ever major university, the federal reserve, the United Nations, and the U.S. Labor Department have been conspiring for 60 years making fake statistics to troll forums user JUSTJEFF88?

Once again...

quote:

You are having trouble holding onto the idea that both of these are simultaneously true:

- The average American in every economic quintile is better off today than they were in 1950, 1960, or 1970.
- That things being better doesn't mean that everything is perfect.

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Wicked ZOGA posted:

I need a gang tag that says I'm retarded

I've put in the request, but it needs admin approval.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

The Saddest Rhino posted:

now to be fair, i hate ska more than anime

That was the Impression That I Got.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This was years and years ago, but does anyone else remember the guy who posted constantly in GBS about his upcoming purchase of a mail order bride? He had a bunch of weird things he was excited for and had a to-do list for when his wife came in that included having her make very specific food. He had a Helldump thread that included photos from a photoshoot he commissioned of himself (and maybe his new wife) dressed in traditional Japanese garb and aiming a bow and arrow into the distance.

After he got Helldump'd, I think he had a meltdown and then stopped posting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Strong "found sketched inside the manifesto of a serial killer" vibes from some of those illustrations.

Edit:

Beaten with an even more accurate description:

Rad-daddio posted:

middle school mass shooter journal publishing.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Sally posted:

is fritz even a mod of the forum in question? i thought the "corral" post was just them inserting horse puns whereever they go

Neigh. He is not a mod of the forum in question.

He does make horse puns all the time and he was "winney"-ing in the mod forum that the post didn't include the two posts following his where everyone made fun of him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Are there actually mods who are considered tyrannical in PYF or the Book Barn? I mostly just follow and post in several bookmarked threads in those forums and never see anyone say anything.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

the snyder cult has owned me

Why are there so many people on the internet in general (and goons in particular) who have such fierce devotion to defending the honor of the guy who made 300 and The Guardian Owls of Ga'hoole? Spending money to own someone for saying that Zach Snyder is okay, but not great.

lol

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Sep 28, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nuns with Guns posted:

You're going to be activated to go on a midnight banning spree over some embarrassing mod drama. Like when with nyc_tattoo emerged from his glacier in Antarctica to stomp down on random people laughing at Party Plane Jone's deep cover nazi discord operation.

What were the specifics around PPJs saga? I'm assuming they have been mentioned at some point in the thread, so if anyone has a link I can just go read it myself it. Were there screenshots or something? Were they saying Nazi things to try and infiltrate it? How/why did they need to infiltrate a Nazi discord?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Thanks! There's about 75 pages of posts, but I will take a look at those threads when I get a chunk of time. Appreciate it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Busted Pisser posted:

Now that we can include recent drama, who are the top five grifters (ranked by total $ amount) that have bilked goons of their money?

Does the guy who made Star Citizen count?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

If Magic isn't real, then where is 70% of the monthly income of every Trad Games posting Goon going every month?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

At my high school in the early 90's, right when Super Mario was getting into the popular consciousness, they banned all Super Mario apparel because of some rumor that was spread via mass fax (this is a very old fashioned sentence) that Super Mario was a tool to get kids to try psilocybin.

They also banned all Simpson's clothing because it was considered a really offensive show and one of the more popular shirts at the time said, "I'm Bart Simpson. Who the hell are you, man?"

Budweiser and Joe Camel T-shirts were cool, though.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Boba Pearl posted:

my middle school completely disabled e-book rentals, because they didn't know how to get percy jackson off of the system.

This made me feel almost as old as the time the intern at my office told us that she didn't know much about 9/11 because she was born after it happened.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Remember when SA had a brief series of Mom scandals?

Microwave's mom was the most famous one.

There was also another YCS goon whose name I can't remember that was in love with his step-mom, posted pictures, and was actually taking goon advice on how to seduce and confess his love for his stepmom.

He eventually basically said, "You act really crazy around me. We should gently caress and get it over with."

and she said, "Uh, no. Let's not talk about this again."

And then he basically stopped posting.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Frank Frank posted:

Oh loving hell I remember that. The guy was really socially maladjusted and people kept telling him to forget about it and never tell anyone and then a handful of people convinced him to confess his feelings to his stepmom.

AUGH.

It was painful. I wish I could find the posts where he describes the evidence that she will leave his dad and get with him.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Read After Burning posted:

Maybe it's the :420: but I genuinely don't understand what Spinz is trying to say. :ohdear: "As a woman you gotta be careful"...about what?

Also confusing since the step-mom told him no and to never talk about it again. The goon/step-son was the weirdo who was in love.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Literally A Person posted:

Not sure how I'd take it honestly

It's bad father figures like you that lead to troubled youth like you becoming their own step-fathers.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Honestly, it is really weird that his step-mom posed for those pictures at all. I'm not sure I would ever jump on the bathroom sink and let my step-son take a picture of me with my rear end in his face. Especially if my step-son was a goon who thought it was a good idea to try and steal his dad's wife.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Hey if I've never played a Persona game, what's a good starting point?

e: also only ever played about an hour of SMT3

4 Gold.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

4 Golden is the remaster and is out on PC.

It's about a billion hours long, but really good.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There's video on YouTube of the time D&D ordered a pizza to Joe Biden's house in 2008 right before he was announced as VP. Cable news networks had livestreams and reporters at the houses of 4 different people rumored to be on the short list and the livestream on MSNBC started freaking out that Biden must be the nominee because there was activity at his house. It's on some random dead YouTube account that it takes me forever to find, but I find it once every few years, laugh, and always forget to save it.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Marcade posted:

Page 8 of this here thread.

That's a great summary, but unfortunately doesn't have the actual video of the livestream. It's a 3-4 minute video of a livestream on MSNBC.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

jimmyjams posted:

who is lowtax

A recently deceased Twitch streamer and 2019 father of the year winner.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Leperflesh posted:

I recall the FOIA request was for, specifically, Richard "Lowtax" Kyanka and someone said that meant if the records were actually filed under "Richard Kyanka" then they would not send them. E.g. you have to have the name exactly as it appears in the database or it won't spit out the records and you won't get them. Just as an example.

I have no idea if that's correct, it's just what I recall someone saying back then.

Nah, that's not how FOIA works.

FOIA can take forever, but they aren't processed by an AI who only understands boolian programming language. You can be broad enough to just request stuff like "All emails related to X by Department Y" and be fine.

Edit: That doesn't necessarily mean that the goon who did the FOIA did it correctly, though. I haven't actually seen the request.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Oct 14, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Lowtax, 50's Groupon Girl, the Goonbucks patreon, Koala's March, Star Citizen, Brother Aziz, and a million other SA fundraising scams prove that goons will still give you tons of money no questions asked even if you straight up tell them that you are stealing it.

It's kind of admirable in a way.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

lol they are going to cut and run with that money

No, they just have a few people who get unknown amounts every month and a policy to never reveal who gets money unless they reveal themselves.

And they accidentally stole some once.

And gave some to a political candidate in a "misguided" attempt to help.

And bought a gaming laptop for somebody "for school"

And, apparently, one of those goons needs $1,000 per month for food per month as a single man - a totally normal amount.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

lmao

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

they own a lot of hungry cats

It is apparently $1,000 a month for FOOD for one person.

And the Goonfund is also a monthly Patron to another Patreon for a video game streamer than the OP will not explain and he swears is not him.

ulmont posted:

Plinkey, I’m trusting your judgment here, but why did I just get a notice that goon fund is a patron of a video game streamer (aclee)?

Plinkey posted:

shut the gently caress up, im not acllee

I also just noticed one specific poster defending Plinkey for a recurring donation he set up to go to his own bank account that he "promises he will pay back each month" and not telling people what it was for:

50s girl groupon posted:

I know we’re basically past the whole oooOoodrama anyways but like do some of y’all really think when the goon fund gets depleted every month and some poor bastard is like can I have $10 for ramen that Plinks is out here like ohohoho peasant that is my streamer money! And not like opening his own drat wallet to feed a goon?

Sorry I am STILL disappointed in people about this.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

This person also got shouted down in the thread for this entirely reasonable post:

Tyson Tomko posted:

To put it bluntly, stealing from goons is a tale as old as time. Being careful and cautious about a purposely obscured $4k/month fund to a single dude is simply smart. The whole "don't donate if you don't trust it" is a true and wise statement but don't get me wrong I'm not choosing any side here but no need to be disappointed in anyone. I believe Plinkey has done some very helpful stuff to plenty of goons sure but nobody knows the truth but him and them, and it's all good.

-- I'm tired as gently caress and apparently reading dates horribly wrong in my control panel don't mind me, looks like I just rephrased what HelloSailorSign said weeks ago. Free advert for the cause I guess

And someone suggested allowing someone else to help screen the requests and the OP weirdly says he has way too much screening to do, but also nobody can help screen the requests:

my cat is norris posted:

Plinkey, is there any way for someone other than yourself to help out? Could someone volunteer to screen the inbox for scams?

Plinkey posted:

there are two people i would trust enough

To be fair, it does look like most of the $10 and $20 requests are being fulfilled.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cuttlefush posted:

is plinkey actually tricking anyone into donating under the pretense that there is transparency? the op seems pretty explicit about just how much transparency there is (0%) and how much (100%) is just based on trusting that plinkey wont koalas march away despite the long history of that kind of thing happening. if people see that and donate anyway and it appears to be helping some goons (and their cats) who may or may not be eating like kings maybe just leave it be until it actually does blow up. it'll be a lot funnier by that point anyway. if you think this might be a good goon scam saga you're doing yourself a disservice trying to kill it before it really begins.

You're right that pretty much everyone is aware that they are signing up for something with 0 transparency. But, still pretty weird.

And a billion red flags.

Why is he allegedly paying thousands of dollars in taxes out of his own pocket instead of just filing to be a real charity for $225?

I guess it is better to be up front about the lack of transparency and promises to pay back what they take out of the fund than to do it under false pretenses. Not great, but better.

:shrug:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Cuttlefush posted:

idk have you tried asking the guy?

Yeah, he said his lawyer friend was going to help him do it two years ago and then yelled at people about how much work he does for the fund when someone asked for an update a year ago.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Depending on his other taxable income and state, that means if he really is taking all the money through a personal patreon and then distributing it, then he would have paid ~$20,000 out of pocket to cover taxes over the last 3 years because a $225 filing fee was too expensive.

The real answer is that he is almost certainly not paying taxes on it. Patreon doesn't even issue a 1099-K unless you have $20k sent to the same account in a year. But, it says that starting next year they will send a 1099-K for any account that makes more than $600 a month.

So, around February 2024 the IRS is going to get tipped off if they are still taking in at least 20% of what they do now.

Edit: The IRS says it is still backed up on audits from 2019 due to Covid and funding issues, so they may actually not be in real trouble for another year or two after that.

Leon Trotsky 2012 fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Oct 15, 2022

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Upgrade posted:

also the absolute craziest part of the Ukraine drama is that an admin was literally removed for genocide denial and those same posts that everyone was disgusted by are now allowed and encouraged

It's because the people doing the genocide denial in CSPAM and the gore/bloodlust posting in GBS are also the biggest whiners with posting cliques, so the mods and admin have been reluctant to do anything for a while because they were afraid of them throwing a fit. So, it all kind of escalated until it exploded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Heath posted:

Why does Fly Molo get so much leniency when he's objectively one of the worst posters on this web site

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

It's because the people doing the genocide denial in CSPAM and the gore/bloodlust posting in GBS are also the biggest whiners with posting cliques who post hundreds of posts per day, so the mods and admin have been reluctant to do anything for a while because they were afraid of them throwing a fit. So, it all kind of escalated until it exploded.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Antivehicular posted:

Is the Kerri Harris campaign the one where the CSPAM candidate got like 20% of the vote, or was that a different insane project

That was a different CSPAM election candidate from Delaware.

Jessica Scarane is the other Delaware Senate candidate that CSPAM raised thousands of dollars for and got 25% of the vote.

I believe CSPAM poster Nichael is literally a Delaware political operative and had people donating to the campaigns he ran.

He didn't hide it or anything, but that was why CSPAM kept sending thousands of dollars to candidates in Delaware who lost by over 50 points.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

always do your research before donating to a political candiate to make sure you are donating to someone who actually has a chance to win and not some loser who has no chance thats politics 101

The thread itself was pretty funny too. But, it is hundreds of pages long, I can only remember a few of the highlights, and I don't have time to look through it.

I remember Nichael bragged about how they decided to start the campaign based on cold-calling her via DMs on Facebook as if it were a good sign.

Nichael posted:

how the jess campaign started on september 4th, 2019

this literally started from some dms on facebook

The thread was also named "Jessica Scarane: The last bastion of the American Left in 2020" for a while.

And Nichael convinced her to hold a "CSPAM after Dark" fundraiser on Twitch to livestream with CSPAMers who donated over a $100.

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

Nichael also published art and a narrative comic about himself toppling the Delaware political establishment (Chris Coons specifically).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

There were also so many goons being creepy and horny over Jess Scarene that the official Something Awful Act Blue Link was "The Horny Toll"

https://secure.actblue.com/donate/hornytoll

And they had to post a warning about it periodically in the thread:

And tell goons not to be horny to her in their donors-only Twitch chats.

quote:

VITAL YOUNG FEMALE SENATOR

quote:

sex is a good thing :yaycat:

quote:

:nice: for the :nice: page

.....how many times have i done this?

:eyepop: :nice: :popeye: :nice: :eyepop: :nice: :popeye: :nice: :eyepop: :nice: :popeye: :nice: :eyepop:

quote:

lol they actually replied back to me a few days later and said they actually looked up scarane and said they would vote for her so the strat works! :yaycat:

quote:

Jess is a cutie!

quote:

Nice.

quote:

v nice

quote:

does Jess give flying elbows from the top rope?(horny)

quote:

this dossier talk is getting dangerously close to being horny

quote:

How do I get my mail ballot so I can get horny before I forget?

quote:

The horny toll successfully converted a person who was texting random dick fantasy stuff at me to someone who said they are committed to voting for Jess.

quote:

This horny is mandatory

quote:

jess's CM just now "It's not like a loving horny toll EZ Pass, every time you do a bad horny, you have to pay the toll."

quote:

im glad jess told me about her left arm tattoo WITHOUT having to pay the horny tax. shoutout to scarane as a friend to the people

quote:

so out of curiosity i went looking for the campaigns youtube channel... and all i found was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ddqqZBk-624

which, without getting too horny, was a let down the guys keep their shirts on

you might wanna setup a basic channel and stuff it with a few better interviews just to not-cede the top search results

quote:

Is having a thing for Jess prohibited? I understand horny is prohibited. Just looking to compliment her soups.