Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Netflix is 100% gonna take that as "okay we're greenlighting season 2, but rewrite it so it becomes more bingeable."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

Netflix is 100% gonna take that as "okay we're greenlighting season 2, but rewrite it so it becomes more bingeable."

To be fair, apart from the one-shots in Dream Country and Fables & Reflections, the upcoming storylines (Season of Mists, A Game of You, Brief Lives etc.) are a lot more coherent and streamlined plot-wise than Preludes and Nocturnes was.

Dave Syndrome fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 23, 2022

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Netflix: drop Dream Country and Fables & Reflections

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007
Look, Bernard. Bernard, look. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Look. Bernard. Bernard. Bernard! Bernard. Bernard. Look, Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard! Look! Bernard! Bernard. Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Look, Bernard! Bernard! Bernard, look! Look! Bern

My Lovely Horse posted:

Netflix: drop Dream Country and Fables & Reflections

Noooooo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Netflix: okay so Emperor Norton was Alexander Burgess all along, good writing there, Neil. we need a huge twist at the end of S2 or people won't binge it. how about after their sword fight, Dream learns that Desire is Burgess' father too and has engineered his entrapment from the start, and re-traps him!
Neil Gaiman through gritted teeth: stories are mutable. stories are mutable. stories are mutable

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Netflix are apparently looking into dropping the binge model because turns out it does lead to more engagement for an individual series if it's released on a weekly basis, unless it's insanely huge like Squid Game or something.

I'd gather this is why they've been doing more Part 1/Part 2 poo poo recently as well. Hopefully that factors into their considerations but who loving knows, the whole thing is a gamble.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

Netflix: okay so Emperor Norton was Alexander Burgess all along, good writing there, Neil. we need a huge twist at the end of S2 or people won't binge it. how about after their sword fight, Dream learns that Desire is Burgess' father too and has engineered his entrapment from the start, and re-traps him!
Neil Gaiman through gritted teeth: stories are mutable. stories are mutable. stories are mutable

Needs more giant mechanical spiders

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Hakkesshu posted:

Netflix are apparently looking into dropping the binge model because turns out it does lead to more engagement for an individual series if it's released on a weekly basis, unless it's insanely huge like Squid Game or something.

I'd gather this is why they've been doing more Part 1/Part 2 poo poo recently as well. Hopefully that factors into their considerations but who loving knows, the whole thing is a gamble.

Squid Games proves the problem with binging, because the tug-of-war episode ends on the most perfectly executed cliffhanger in TV history, and people would have gone loving insane online and around the water cooler if they had to wait a whole week to see its resolution.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

My Lovely Horse posted:

"p..pinkie pie?"

"ugghhhhh..princess barbara, ack dying ack, equestria.... needs.... you"

*pinkie draws black xs over her eyelids then flops onto her back holding up a calla lily*

*upbeat pop music begins to play*

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I have a sneaking suspicion they are saving the announcement for their big circle-jerk TUDUM event at the end of the month.

This just in, the whole event passed without a single mention of Sandman :negative:

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Hakkesshu posted:

This just in, the whole event passed without a single mention of Sandman :negative:

I am putting on my clown makeup for thinking this as we speak.

AStrangeDuelist
Nov 27, 2013

My Lovely Horse posted:

I hope they take it as: release one episode a week, because GODDAMN this show was good.

Dave Syndrome
Jan 11, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

looks like I can buy the full boxed paperback set for $225, new

what is the magic incantation to buy this on the used market, for half the price, please

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
There’s plenty used for like $15/volume on eBay

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

They released a new publication of the whole run of the comics to tie into the show that comes in four (with a fifth on the way with Dream Hunters/Endless Nights) books that are like 20-30 dollars each. They are pretty nice tpb editions that are easy to collect without spending hundreds of dollars.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
If people want more Sandman; the audiobook for Act III just dropped; sadly no BRIAN BLESSED for Destruction

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

achillesforever6 posted:

If people want more Sandman; the audiobook for Act III just dropped

They cast KJ Apa in a role -- not the one you blanked out -- loving wild lmao.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Hadlock posted:

looks like I can buy the full boxed paperback set for $225, new

what is the magic incantation to buy this on the used market, for half the price, please

Here in Brazil, the local publisher re-released the whole Sandman collection in 2011, "now in classic horror Black&White style", for over double the price of any similar book.

Meaning basically "We save money by printing without color and get to rip off nerds who missed the original run."

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I picked up vol 1-3 for $30 shipped on ebay, arrived yesterday, thanks. Looks like they are unread color trade paperbacks from... looks like 1995? That is the latest copyright date I see on there, but it says 11th printing so might be early 2000s on the back says "one of 2000's top ten adult novels for young adults"

Didn't realize there's like 11 volumes, I thought this was more like The Watchmen. This is more like Bone where you have 1000 pages

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Yeah it was a whole series, 75 issues I think, and there's even more supplemental material and spin-offs that came out later.

speaking of which I recently read Overture for the first time and, if you like Sandman and you haven't, you're gonna want to.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

The Voice of Labor posted:

"p..pinkie pie?"

"ugghhhhh..princess barbara, ack dying ack, equestria.... needs.... you"

*pinkie draws black xs over her eyelids then flops onto her back holding up a calla lily*

*upbeat pop music begins to play*
you know what, I'm actually kinda down with that, it keeps the same general vibe of "little girl fantasy" but it would be removed far enough from the comic to avoid all the "they didn't do that bit right" baggage.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

look, there's only two ways this can play out: 100% exact word for word panel for panel fidelity with the source material or...

*smiles and taps giant mechanical spider*

Soysaucebeast
Mar 4, 2008

My Lovely Horse posted:

Yeah it was a whole series, 75 issues I think, and there's even more supplemental material and spin-offs that came out later.

speaking of which I recently read Overture for the first time and, if you like Sandman and you haven't, you're gonna want to.

I really recommend Lucifer too. It's a fantastic series and nothing like the dumb TV show of the same name.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Was the death spinoff comic any good?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Was the death spinoff comic any good?

The High Cost of Living is excellent. The other one I forget the name of, and that sums it up really.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Soysaucebeast posted:

I really recommend Lucifer too. It's a fantastic series and nothing like the dumb TV show of the same name.

Seconding this, Lucifer was loving incredible and I was so excited when they made a TV series of it. And then it was just a cop procedural. Bizarre choice.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The High Cost of Living was my introduction to The Sandman/Gaiman and it was definitely great. Actually, I should read it again since it's been probably over 10 years since I did.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Soysaucebeast posted:

This may be construed as heresy, but as great as Sandman is with hindsight I rate Lucifer more highly. Gaiman could not have got The Thunder Sermon to land the way it did, for a start.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Jedit posted:

This may be construed as heresy, but as great as Sandman is with hindsight I rate Lucifer more highly. Gaiman could not have got The Thunder Sermon to land the way it did, for a start.

I think Sandman is objectively a more impressive artistic work, but I've reread Lucifer several more times than the former. It's a great series.

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
Lucifer is really great and perhaps even has a greater overall scope than Sandman, but there some artistic styles that I just plain don't like. Sandman has less of those. Also Sandman has more emotional weight to me, even though I have mad father issues.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Jedit posted:

I agree. Sandman walked so Lucifer could run.
(Lucifer absolutely couldn't exist without Sandman doing some very heavy lifting in the 90s, but I adore Lucifer in a way that Sandman can't quite compare to. I also think Carey's The Unwritten manages to nail the "Story About Stories" thing in a way Gaiman never quite could)

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
Wait, that Lucifer TV show is loosely based on the graphic novel, which is based on The Sandman's version of the character?

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

happyhippy posted:

Wait, that Lucifer TV show is loosely based on the graphic novel, which is based on The Sandman's version of the character?

The show Lucifer borrows the basic ideas presented in Sandman, that (comics spoilers and :siren: stuff not in the show yet :siren:) Lucifer decides to give his father a big middle finger, retire from ruling Hell, has Dream cut his wings off and hands Dream the Key to Hell (hijinks ensue in Sandman), and Lucifer goes to Earth. This is where the comic book run Lucifer roughly picks up. The TV show Lucifer takes some names from the Lucifer comic like his club and Amenadiel etc., but that's about the extent to which the TV show Lucifer is related to anything in either comic book run.

Whew.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Also Gaiman has a cameo in one episode.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Thanks, and mind blown.
I know the Sandman series, seen bits and pieces of the show, but just didn't connect the dots.

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

cptn_dr posted:

I agree. Sandman walked so Lucifer could run.
(Lucifer absolutely couldn't exist without Sandman doing some very heavy lifting in the 90s, but I adore Lucifer in a way that Sandman can't quite compare to. I also think Carey's The Unwritten manages to nail the "Story About Stories" thing in a way Gaiman never quite could)

On that note, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is also definitely worth reading if anyone liked The Sandman, it's basically proto-sandman.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

Rappaport posted:

The show Lucifer borrows the basic ideas presented in Sandman, that (comics spoilers and :siren: stuff not in the show yet :siren:) Lucifer decides to give his father a big middle finger, retire from ruling Hell, has Dream cut his wings off and hands Dream the Key to Hell (hijinks ensue in Sandman), and Lucifer goes to Earth. This is where the comic book run Lucifer roughly picks up. The TV show Lucifer takes some names from the Lucifer comic like his club and Amenadiel etc., but that's about the extent to which the TV show Lucifer is related to anything in either comic book run.

Whew.

I know it's not a faithful adaptation of the comics, but I've always been fond of Lucifer because Tom Ellis is just so drat charming as Lucifer. It being set up initially as a police procedural show is weird but also a product of it being on network TV I think, since those are the most popular TV dramas (Law and Order, NCIS, CSI, all that jazz)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

I know it's not a faithful adaptation of the comics, but I've always been fond of Lucifer because Tom Ellis is just so drat charming as Lucifer.

At the same time, having the Lucifer being charming is one of the biggest cliches. I liked how the comic Lucifer is an rear end in a top hat and while he won't go out of his way to kill you he won't be sad if you die either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila25
May 12, 2001
Ask me about tapioca.

Joe Chill posted:

On that note, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing is also definitely worth reading if anyone liked The Sandman, it's basically proto-sandman.

Totally seconding this. There’s even a filler issue where they visit a part of the Dreaming with an appearance from Cain and Abel.