Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i don't really care but i saw a book with that title and now you all have seen it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what if we re-wrote the constitution in rust?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

most of learning rust is figuring out how to work with the borrow checker/lifetimes and generics

the community and docs have been really good comparatively to other experiences learning computer crap so idk seems fine

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

what if we re-wrote the constitution in rust?

imagine the dependency nightmare with this court

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

Share Bear posted:

most of learning rust is figuring out how to work with the borrow checker/lifetimes and generics

the community and docs have been really good comparatively to other experiences learning computer crap so idk seems fine

the strings are a bit confusing too. the first time I tried to do some linux stuff with file names I was very lost with str / String / OsStr / Path / PathBuf. oh and then because they're generally utf8 generally you can't index into them like a char string in other langs

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Share Bear posted:

genetics?

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

cowboy beepboop posted:

the strings are a bit confusing too. the first time I tried to do some linux stuff with file names I was very lost with str / String / OsStr / Path / PathBuf. oh and then because they're generally utf8 generally you can't index into them like a char string in other langs

yeah this still gets me pretty often

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

https://doc.rust-lang.org/book/ch10-00-generics.html this chapter explains it better than i can

i work with java and python and most of the java code i work with doesn't care about generics so it's new stuff to me

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

i just call them little angle bracket thingys

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
rust the language seems fine I guess but the community is insufferable.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

The Management posted:

rust the language seems fine I guess but the community is insufferable.

now enough about the french

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

rust is a newly designed language without dictionary literals.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
the number of rusturbators that zerg rush every single thing and suggest we should do it in rust has been spiking in the last year. I’m amendable to rust for some things, I have even suggested it for some things, but holy gently caress these people are religious zealots.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i've been enjoying it but basically my will to program outside of work these days is zero

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Share Bear posted:

i've been enjoying it but basically my will to program outside of work these days is zero

:same: on both counts

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

im a zig pig

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

rust is a newly designed language without dictionary literals.

technically it doesn't even have an array literal, vec! is a macro. but you can use hashmap! if you use this crate here: https://docs.rs/maplit/1.0.2/maplit/ (or https://docs.rs/velcro/latest/velcro/)

def one of the neat things about rust is safe macros like that allow you to extend the language on the same level as the built in types. although that sort of means the syntax everywhere isn't terrific.

it feels like between swift and rust there's a really outstanding language in there somewhere

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

The Management posted:

the number of rusturbators that zerg rush every single thing and suggest we should do it in rust has been spiking in the last year. I’m amendable to rust for some things, I have even suggested it for some things, but holy gently caress these people are religious zealots.

rust: the python of a new age

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

The Management posted:

how’s their economy?

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine
the true believer rust people are admittedly pretty annoying, but preferable to the golang clown troupe

at least they are pushing something half-decent

N.Z.'s Champion
Jun 8, 2003

Yam Slacker
i only borrow money from non-rustaceans

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
what do they got - a lot of sand?
we got a hot rustacean band

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

rust is good op

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Bloody posted:

rust is good op

actually it’s a POS

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Bloody posted:

rust is good op

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Bloody posted:

rust is good op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i wrote a little website in rust last year w/ actix web. seemed alright

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

my homie dhall posted:

the true believer rust people are admittedly pretty annoying, but preferable to the golang clown troupe

at least they are pushing something half-decent

go seems very bad but it’s attracted some cool projects like charm.sh, like it’s quite bad but also quite cool? idk

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

a rust guy started at my work and lives round the corner from me, i’m helping him organise a rust users group meet in the office

his name is tim mcnamara and he wrote a book on rust

that’s my rust story

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

fart simpson posted:

i wrote a little website in rust last year w/ actix web. seemed alright

why would you do this when asp.net core exists?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

mostly just to try out rust on a little project i guess

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

a rust guy started at my work and lives round the corner from me, i’m helping him organise a rust users group meet in the office

that’s my rust story

let him kn ow that the word is cursed but the art for the book is cute tyvm

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

Gentle Autist posted:

that’s my rust story

he did good

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

that’s my rust story

tell him he's a loser and he should learn a real language

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Gentle Autist posted:

that’s my rust story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ4LjNK8w_E

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

great now all these fukkin crabs are following me around the internet

https://twitter.com/Ray__March/status/1554115149312790529

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

rusty.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016