Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Nobody Interesting posted:

I'm not the greatest Tolkien scholar on the planet, but... isn't it?

It's feudal, Rohan is quite clearly Saxon influenced, probably some other stuff...

It depends quite a bit on your definition of medieval as well, it's a vague term that means different things to different people. It originally meant whenever Rome went away (in your area, which differs a lot) to the Early Modern Period, circa 1450, but now that Late Antiquity is stretching later and later in Western European studies, Medieval seems to mean 1000 onwards. Which still includes most of this stuff mind you.

That said I agree with you, and I have no idea what that person is trying to argue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
Something like this perhaps:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the travel through middle earth is basically a trip backwards through English history, starting in the quaint Regency, moving back through Elrond'd high medieval House, then the dark ages of Moria, weird Celtic elves, Saxon Rohirrim, and Minas Tirith as Roman Britain on the verge of fall.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Szmitten posted:

I'd like to see other shows numbers for completion rates since I think you'd be very surprised at how often people don't finish things. I think expecting half the audience to finish anything is impossible for any show or any medium (eg video game metrics always have completion rates of less than 10%)

Bit late to this discussion but I saw this posted on the WoT subreddit a while ago. I don't know how to actually verify it but it doesn't exactly surprise me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoTshow/comments/12dktht/wot_viewership_retention_rate_vs_rop_per_digitali/

sitchensis
Mar 4, 2009

I think the biggest issue you could have with the costuming is that if you are laying the groundwork for a sprawling fantasy land, the costumes/armor should logically emerge from whatever rules you’ve set for the cultures and societies present and their respective level of technological advancement. Rings of Power doesn’t really do this.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

sitchensis posted:

I think the biggest issue you could have with the costuming is that if you are laying the groundwork for a sprawling fantasy land, the costumes/armor should logically emerge from whatever rules you’ve set for the cultures and societies present and their respective level of technological advancement. Rings of Power doesn’t really do this.
You're putting far more thought into this than the producers ever did.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

pik_d posted:

Bit late to this discussion but I saw this posted on the WoT subreddit a while ago. I don't know how to actually verify it but it doesn't exactly surprise me.

https://www.reddit.com/r/WoTshow/comments/12dktht/wot_viewership_retention_rate_vs_rop_per_digitali/

The prospect of WoT outperforming a LotR property in a global setting regardless of anything but name alone and the continuing lack of a source for either dataset makes this utterly absurd to me.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

didn't think this show could get worse, but lol

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1654217853212532736

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
We all remember the Tolkien deep lore where Elrond hosts the ill fated talk show, Numenor Nightly.

Vishass
Feb 1, 2004

I am so excited to watch season 2 even more high than season 1

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

"I have to go now, my planet needs me"

"Wait, Celebrimbor was from a different planet?"

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
And now another Morgoth Minute, brought to you by me, Sauron! But first, an ad break -- do you suffer from dry skin and ears? Well, it might be that the time of the elves is at an end, but our Mount Doomscrub Loofah is guaranteed to make you shine like the finest mithril. Our artisan hordes shape each loofah by hand from the mineral rich volcanic rocks of our new home. Use offer code "Not Gandalf" for 15% off your first order.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gollum (yes, he's in the show now, no you don't get an explanation) hates potatoes.... but he loves Sherry's Berries, yes he does, Precious!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

didn't think this show could get worse, but lol

Are you sure that THIS show... With THESE show runners... Would be WORSE?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

This is happening with most productions that were midway through when the strike was announced. RoP is faring better than most, given that they only have 19 days left in a roughly 300 day shoot. Many other shows will be shot entirely without the writers present.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
So what's the deal with improvisation? Is there a legal cap on how much an actor is allowed to do before they become classified as a writer? Are they allowed to do anything now that the writers aren't present?

And I assume the suits will still try and guide the narrative construction process in their own way too.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
HOTD is also continuing without writers, but I imagine both project will get shut down as other sectors of the entertainment industry go on strike too, not just writers.

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Presumably they already have the scripts and will just have to read them without additional guidance or changes from the writers.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

drunkill posted:

HOTD is also continuing without writers, but I imagine both project will get shut down as other sectors of the entertainment industry go on strike too, not just writers.

HOTD's a special case since it's part of a franchise that's already centered around a writer that refuses to write

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

YaketySass posted:

HOTD's a special case since it's part of a franchise that's already centered around a writer that refuses to write

Maybe if the Jets finally have a winning season.

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

Open Source Idiom posted:

So what's the deal with improvisation?

They've gone full community theater:
"Give us a vegetable, a gemstone, and a king of Numenor. Ok, now here's a scene of a hobbit thief confusing a greengrocer with the royal vaults."

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

those producers sucked rear end that can only be an improvement

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

those producers sucked rear end that can only be an improvement

They still set up the show, and direction of the scripts, that they're shooting. All this means is that they can't do a rewrite on set if they find something is wrong.

Whether that rewrite would happen, or would be better or worse than the "problem" they'd find, is beside the point. It's not like this means they throw out the scripts and just wing it now. It's still the same show, just with no chance to "fix" any issues that come up.

But as some one earlier pointed out, they're almost done shooting anyway, so this likely won't make much of an impact anyway.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

thrawn527 posted:

They still set up the show, and direction of the scripts, that they're shooting. All this means is that they can't do a rewrite on set if they find something is wrong.

Whether that rewrite would happen, or would be better or worse than the "problem" they'd find, is beside the point. It's not like this means they throw out the scripts and just wing it now. It's still the same show, just with no chance to "fix" any issues that come up.

But as some one earlier pointed out, they're almost done shooting anyway, so this likely won't make much of an impact anyway.

it will impact post production and editing and all of that poo poo

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

WoodrowSkillson posted:

it will impact post production and editing and all of that poo poo

They’re still allowed to oversee post production. They aren’t allowed to participate in anything that would involve writing new lines or content, thus why they can’t be present for cameras rolling.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Dawgstar posted:

Maybe if the Jets finally have a winning season.

Now this is some fantasy writing.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bugblatter posted:

They’re still allowed to oversee post production. They aren’t allowed to participate in anything that would involve writing new lines or content, thus why they can’t be present for cameras rolling.

nevermind thought we got lucky

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

ROP will probably improve without writers present tbh

BoldFace
Feb 28, 2011
"I'm good"

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Hexel posted:

ROP will probably improve without writers present tbh

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

BoldFace posted:

"I'm good"

literally one of the best parts lmao

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

BoldFace posted:

"I'm good"

I tried to explain this moment to someone who gave up after the first episode, and could not get through it without laughing.

Is the magic man good or bad? I hope he tells us, we’ve been wondering.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

I mean they only have like a week left in production, so I imagine this isn't as bad as it could be.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

i think this is the only media property where i hope they really screw over all the writers

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Yeah, compared to Andor which will do its entire shoot without showrunners, RoP is in a relatively good position for the strike.

Shame because I really want Andor to match the quality of its first half… whereas I mostly watch RoP for the images and the writers being absent is just whatever.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, compared to Andor which will do its entire shoot without showrunners, RoP is in a relatively good position for the strike.

Shame because I really want Andor to match the quality of its first half… whereas I mostly watch RoP for the images and the writers being absent is just whatever.

Andor has been shooting for a few months now. I don't know how much more they have left to shoot, but they certainly will have had show runners for a good chunk of it.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

TheBigBudgetSequel posted:

Andor has been shooting for a few months now. I don't know how much more they have left to shoot, but they certainly will have had show runners for a good chunk of it.

Ah, you’re right. They started at the end of November with filming expected to conclude at the end of August. That’s still around half of the production without a show runner if the strike doesn’t end quickly.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Andor was pretty fun for a Star Wars show, but it’s made by Disney and that means the sequel is gonna suck.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe they'll make a prequel to Andor

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Data Graham posted:

Maybe they'll make a prequel to Andor

It's time for the story of Maarva

Adbot