Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I rewatched this over christmas and it was good imo

I've since listened to the Ringerverse podcasts for all 8 episodes, they liked it also, good podcast to follow with those two.

And apparently a bunch of season 2 details got leaked, the one ring has a list: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/01/18/117354-spy-report-suggests-an-unhinged-season-2-of-the-rings-of-power/ or it might just be a hoax, who knows!

The biggest is that they got either the rights to use stories from the Silmarillion or use expanded parts of the Silmarillion instead of skirting some things or not using specific names as they did in season 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Men on youtube are mad because they cast an Indian guy as Annatar

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

keep punching joe posted:

Men on youtube are mad because they cast an Indian guy as Annatar

good

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Oh man, a few of those rumors sound neat but Jesus christ they're just doubling down on the dumbest poo poo from season one.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

lmao

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ctrl-F for Ungoliant
match 1 of 4

....fine, you get ONE more chance, Rings of Power....

shirunei
Sep 7, 2018

I tried to run away. To take the easy way out. I'll live through the suffering. When I die, I want to feel like I did my best.

Jerusalem posted:

Ctrl-F for Ungoliant
match 1 of 4

....fine, you get ONE more chance, Rings of Power....

I don't know why you want a sexy spider lady but i guess you do you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

On some level I don't mind Galadriel as Invincible Sword Princess but she's also so... dumb all the time.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

shirunei posted:

I don't know why you want a sexy spider lady but i guess you do you.

No no, you're thinking of her daughter. THAT was the unfathomable eldritch horror in spider-form that was represented by a big-titty Goth girlfriend in the videogame! Ungoliant's human form looks more like Anne Ramsey.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

i will continue to defend Sexy Shelob as not being a big deal at all. If Sauron can be a werewolf Shelob can change shape too.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's one thing if it's transformation. But I guess the way I interpreted the reports of it was that they'd just straight up replaced the giant spider in the cave with a sexy lady, sitting in the dark in like ... a haunted mansion to seduce you on your way through Cirith Ungol

(don't tell me if that's what it actually is)

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Sexy Shelob is certainly no carbon copy fellowship trailing an hour behind the real fellowship and kills the Watcher or that same fellowship teaming up with Gandalf to kilk the Balrog when it comes to weird video game decisions.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 19, 2024

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot
I'm looking forward to the clumsy Trump metaphors shoehorned into the Fall of Numenor.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

my god this sounds stupid lol

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

I mean it's one thing if it's transformation. But I guess the way I interpreted the reports of it was that they'd just straight up replaced the giant spider in the cave with a sexy lady, sitting in the dark in like ... a haunted mansion to seduce you on your way through Cirith Ungol

She transforms, the game just treats her as another Maiar instead of being a spider and only a spider and considering Tolkien never even explains what Ungoliante even is, a game that also posits the Helm Hammerhand is a Nazgul is hardly out of bounds. It plays with the story the same way God of War plays with mythology. the game rules.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Data Graham posted:

If it's a transformation, isn't that just like where, in Fantastic Beasts, you find out Voldemort's snake Nagini used to be a sexy lady? And I just went...alright. What could this possibly add to the story?

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

The answer is boners. It adds boners to the story.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

the only sexy part of shelob's portrayal is she shows leg sometimes. the only way the game can be interpreted as horny is if you are a 1950s guy who calls them "gams"

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

WoodrowSkillson posted:

... a game that also posits the Helm Hammerhand is a Nazgul
I'd say that a series of stories about how the Nazgul fell to Sauron would have been very interesting. Maybe taking a Boromir slant on some of them and having others just be power-mad bastards.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Sexy Shelob is certainly no carbon copy fellowship trailing an hour behind the real fellowship and kills the Watcher or that same fellowship teaming up with Gandalf to kilk the Balrog when it comes to weird video game decisions.

It's funny that the cast of that game is in literal shouting distance - and they're ostensibly there to find Boromir - several times but nothing happens. Also the elf likes the main Gondor guy and even kisses him but she says 'wait we can't' and that's it. Thanks for playing. Also you get to fight Sauron at his most searchlight.

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

drunkill posted:

I rewatched this over christmas and it was good imo

I've since listened to the Ringerverse podcasts for all 8 episodes, they liked it also, good podcast to follow with those two.

And apparently a bunch of season 2 details got leaked, the one ring has a list: https://www.theonering.net/torwp/2024/01/18/117354-spy-report-suggests-an-unhinged-season-2-of-the-rings-of-power/ or it might just be a hoax, who knows!

The biggest is that they got either the rights to use stories from the Silmarillion or use expanded parts of the Silmarillion instead of skirting some things or not using specific names as they did in season 1.

oh noo

ohhh nooooo

please leave Tom out of it

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

thrawn527 posted:

If it's a transformation, isn't that just like where, in Fantastic Beasts, you find out Voldemort's snake Nagini used to be a sexy lady? And I just went...alright. What could this possibly add to the story?

No, because she's trying to convince the main character that while she's not trustworthy they have aligned goals at the moment. That's harder if you're a giant bloated spider.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the only sexy part of shelob's portrayal is she shows leg sometimes. the only way the game can be interpreted as horny is if you are a 1950s guy who calls them "gams"

Whether she's showing leg or spider-leg, Pollyanna McIntosh is a stone-cold fox.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...
Spider gams, spider gams
Does whatever a maia can
Killing trees, any size
Crushing elves between her thighs

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

AndyElusive posted:

Whether she's showing leg or spider-leg, Pollyanna McIntosh is a stone-cold fox.

100%

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Dear god if these rumors are even half-true this is diabolically poo poo.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

my bony fealty posted:

oh noo

ohhh nooooo

please leave Tom out of it

And making him and Goldberry be the ultimate source of all evil and a spider demon powerful enough to scare him is just wrong on so many levels.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

drunkill posted:

!

The way I read this is that they specifically only got Silmarillion rights for one story.

Ainulindalae

And it's the only thing that I am excited about after reading all of that.

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer
Based on how the first season went, a lot of people are going to spend season 2 insisting that the show couldn’t possibly be doing Plot Point X because of how stupid and obvious it would be. The show will then proceed to do it without a hint of irony. This will happen over and over again.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I would watch the show if there was a running gag every episode where Sauron disguises himself as a different celebrity to gently caress with the elves.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Asgerd posted:

Based on how the first season went, a lot of people are going to spend season 2 insisting that the show couldn’t possibly be doing Plot Point X because of how stupid and obvious it would be. The show will then proceed to do it without a hint of irony. This will happen over and over again.

Corey Olsen will polish off at least a couple more of those jugs of rum

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
You know what the series needs: airships.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Buttchocks posted:

The Professor would agree, I'm sure.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Vingilot exists

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Buttchocks posted:

Eärendil erasure in this post.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Imagine spending ungodly millions to finally license the silmarillion and then once you do tying it to your albatross of an in progress mostly unrelated series. It's so stupid that it becomes plausible.

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Vingilot exists

jfc the internet has broken me because for a hot second I thought this was an AI generated image.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Tom Bombadil sex scene please

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

CLAM DOWN posted:

Tom Bombadil sex scene please

unironically id rather have that than mealymouthed poo poo. if you are gonna change poo poo go big or go home. that's why i liked shadow of war, they just went for it. this show is changing is writers and produces that think they know better than the "nerds" changing poo poo to be more marketable. its uninspired and boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.
An entire village of Beorns with laser beams strapped to their backs.