Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

MLSM posted:

The new GoT show looks much better than this LOTR show tbh. Costumes, casting, cinematography, CGI just looks much more competent.

make sure you start getting your hopes way up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ishamael posted:

make sure you start getting your hopes way up

I plan to let my guard down for a brief second for BOTH shows!

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Guys guys what if it's

good?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'm sure it will be adequately good and they'll make back their billion dollar whatever investment but that's all. Amazon are now basically content creators and it will just end up being more content to fill out their streaming library.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

The show could be absolute dogshit(which tbh is looking possible) and still be a success for Amazon because who doesn't have Prime for the shipping?

That also speaks to the problem of the streaming model where theres no real incentive to actually be great because all these streaming services make the vast majority of their money through their monthly subscribers. With traditional theatrical releases, there was an incentive to be great because better movies usually do better through positive buzz for a bigger opening weekend and longer legs through word of mouth. TV shows on cable made their money though commercials and advertising so there definitely was an incentive there to be great so people would keep watching the show.

All and all I love streaming and haven't owned a cable subscription in well over 10 years, I just wish the streaming services actually somehow took a hit every time they put out lovely content and not just get away with hoarding lovely libraries of content thats merely good enough for the normies to keep paying.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Entertainment Tonight has a brief interview with the showrunners and cast. There's some new footage that contains a few interesting details.

This shot's in the SDCC trailer, but there it was only a fraction of a second, so I didn't see the werewolf scars all over Finrod, which is a cool detail.

I think this is new. Galadriel meeting Elendil.

The first clear shot of The Stranger that I can recall.

A glowing box with Marcellus Wallace's soul a ring of power in it.

The Oath of Feanor clip goes on a second longer in the ET footage, and you can see another guy! The guy on the left, with short reddish brown hair. Amrod/Amras/Maedhros?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

jesus christ the numenorean armor looks like cheap plastic

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

elendil looks like the guy from nickelback

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 28, 2022

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

e:

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 08:55 on Aug 28, 2022

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

use the edit button next time instead of making 2 posts you lazy oval office

Omon Ra
Nov 1, 2020
peanus

William Bear posted:

Entertainment Tonight has a brief interview with the showrunners and cast. There's some new footage that contains a few interesting details.

This shot's in the SDCC trailer, but there it was only a fraction of a second, so I didn't see the werewolf scars all over Finrod, which is a cool detail.

I think this is new. Galadriel meeting Elendil.

The first clear shot of The Stranger that I can recall.

A glowing box with Marcellus Wallace's soul a ring of power in it.

The Oath of Feanor clip goes on a second longer in the ET footage, and you can see another guy! The guy on the left, with short reddish brown hair. Amrod/Amras/Maedhros?

This looking stunning and Epic. I''m trying to not get my hopes up, but it could be better than the Wheel of Times, guys. Amazon Studios is on a ROLL!

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I just hope it tells a good and compelling story.

I don’t tell people to watch a TV show because “the costumes look really expensive”

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

Data Graham posted:

I don’t tell people to watch a TV show because “the costumes look really expensive”

The crazy thing is that the costumes don't even look expensive in the footage and stills released though. A lot of them basically look like what you would expect from a TV-budget LotR spinoff--even though the show has a movie budget.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Data Graham posted:

A lot of them look great, the numenorean armor has all looked like poo poo. It's like it's a separate guy doing it. Those breastplate don't fit correctly, and look like literal slabs of plastic and it catches the eye immediately. Same for the ones that took like scale mail but I guess are supposed to be decorated. They look like they were all made out of the same injection mold

2nd level spells
Apr 3, 2022
Wouldn't it be funny if The Stranger was young, hip Gandalf

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

2nd level spells posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if The Stranger was young, hip Gandalf

They have two other Istari they can use without really ripping up the canon so there’s no way it’s him.

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

A lot of them look great, the numenorean armor has all looked like poo poo. It's like it's a separate guy doing it. Those breastplate don't fit correctly, and look like literal slabs of plastic and it catches the eye immediately. Same for the ones that took like scale mail but I guess are supposed to be decorated. They look like they were all made out of the same injection mold
Reminds me of how The Witcher Season 1 had possibly the ugliest nonsensical organic-looking black armor designs for the Nilfgaardian guys. It looked like wrinkled skin.
Season 2 seemed to completely retcon them out and they looked way more like standard metal armor.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Also the weird half vambrace thing that has the metal on the wrong side is dumb as poo poo and makes no sense whatsoever. The LOTR movies have some of the best movie armor ever done, and this is tremendous step back. Numenor is supposed to be more advanced than Gondor, not less, and they look like pseudo greek hoplites, harkening to older, less advanced times.

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth

WoodrowSkillson posted:

hey, it’s a good match with the painted scale armor, okay? what’s your problem with consistency in quality?

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

I said that looked like poo poo too and that it looks like it's intended to be solid steel made to look like scale which is weird but a theme across multiple costumes. what's your point

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon

2nd level spells posted:

Wouldn't it be funny if The Stranger was young, hip GandalfRadagast

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.
We've a new scene:

https://twitter.com/FellowshipFans/status/1555049507787792384

I don't know why the guy cited for his fieriness creates ice crystals with water, but it seems like they've at least aped the cadence and style of writing in the dialogue.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

why do they think elves are supposed to sound like that

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021
This poo poo looks giga cringe and its promotional videos on youtube have hundreds of thousands of dislikes. I will watch it cause it's either going to be a trainwreck and good for a laugh or genuinely good and crow will be served to many.

it's a win/win

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Galadriel looks hot I guess.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

she sounds like a voiceover for a videogame intro movie

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
It sounds just like the movies? I dunno, I'm not seeing the "giga cringe" from that clip, looks fine.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I don't know if it counts as nitpicking or if nitpicking is justified in this if nothing else, but

It uhhhh kinda sounded like she said Sauron like "dinosaur"

If Jackson had not gotten all the pronunciations right I would esteem the movies about 1/10th as highly

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Data Graham posted:

I don't know if it counts as nitpicking or if nitpicking is justified in this if nothing else, but

It uhhhh kinda sounded like she said Sauron like "dinosaur"

If Jackson had not gotten all the pronunciations right I would esteem the movies about 1/10th as highly

Nah, she definitely says Sauron (not Sore-on), but she rolls the R in a way that they didn't in the Jackson movies

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

Data Graham posted:

I was under the impression that Isengard, per Tolkien's pronunciation guides, should be Ee-sen-gard, not eye-zen-gard

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Nope, Isen is an English word (archaic root of Iron). It doesn’t follow the sensible rules of the synthetic languages.

I made the same assumption on first reading and had to train myself out of it.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Modern German's Eisen still means iron, and is pronounced like Isengard in the movies.

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.
Yeah, it's one of Tolkien's "translations" that we never got the "real" Old Westron name of as far as I recall. It's mentioned as being a Rohirric translation of the Sindarin "Angrenost," but unlike the Hobbits' names or the Brandywine River, Tolkien never gave us the "original."

"Orthanc" is also an Old English word that means "skillful or clever work," but apparently Tolkien liked that word so much he lifted it directly into Sindarin where it translates as "tower of fangs."

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost
What would happen if an orc got a ring of power?

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Also the weird half vambrace thing that has the metal on the wrong side is dumb as poo poo and makes no sense whatsoever. The LOTR movies have some of the best movie armor ever done, and this is tremendous step back. Numenor is supposed to be more advanced than Gondor, not less, and they look like pseudo greek hoplites, harkening to older, less advanced times.

This disparity here is jarring given that Numenor is supposed to be much more advanced than Gondor

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

sticksy posted:

What would happen if an orc got a ring of power?

Probably about the same that would happen to a human who got one of the Nine; it would extend their lifespans, let them turn invisible, allow them to view the Unseen world, bind them even more tightly to Sauron's control than they already were, and eventually they would degenerate into wraiths.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gresh posted:

This disparity here is jarring given that Numenor is supposed to be much more advanced than Gondor

You're comparing marines/sailors to heavy infantry/cavalry.

Gresh
Jan 12, 2019

CommonShore posted:

You're comparing marines/sailors to heavy infantry/cavalry.

Fair point. But even then:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

so they invented kevlar