Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

covidstomper58 posted:

You don't have to incite hobbits to be thieves, they are as a species prone to thievery.

You forgot the biggest thieves of all
The Sackville-Bagginses' entire purpose in the books is to steal all of Bilbo's poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I have a theory about the sword hilt - someone (Waldreg, I think?) Said it has a connection to she shadow world/wraith world or something. It also seems to exhibit similar traits to the one ring.

I think Sauron is gonna melt that sword down to make the ring, maybe alloyed with some mithril for enhancement (cause mithril is now magical silmaril-lite)

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Abner Assington posted:

The One Ring is pretty explicitly mentioned as being made of gold.

Maybe it's just gold plated?
Or Sauron will use whatever magic is in the hilt to imbibe the gold in the ring. I'm fairly sure the hilt will be somehow involved in the forging.

Also fairly certain that the Stranger is Tilion. My 9yo wanted me to start the series over with him so I'm rewatching the first episodes and there's so many signs that point to that.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
So I keep seeing "50 episodes" thrown about casually by everyone. Also referenced to there being 5 seasons.
This made complete sense to me when I thought it was a normal 10 episode season, but it's 8?
Help me with this math please? :psyboom:

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

2nd level spells posted:

Fun trivia, Peter Jackson ripped that shot off from the Bakshi Lord of the Rings.

That still remains my favorite screen adaptation of Tolkien's work.

I also recently realized that my overwhelming fear of horses likely stems from watching it far too young, holy HELL are the nazgul horses in that terrifying!

So, this episode, with the GODDAMN FLAMING HORSE running around... Yeah, no.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Listen folks if Noah could fit every single animal on a single boat I think a few Numenorans and horsies can fit on three

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
A couple of thoughts:

I've seen multiple people go off about how there's not enough Kingdoms of Men to have fingers for the 9 rings. You know where I bet has a bunch of kingdoms, never written about?

Rhûn.

Also, I am going on the record stating I think the cultists are balrogs. They're evil, and have shown maiar-level powers.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Further thinking about who's going to get the Nine rings of Men - the poem says nothing about them going to kings, so they could just be, like - regular dudes.

I kind of expect one to go to Valandil, and Isildur gets so sad about that he names his son after his lost friend.

But maybe the poem is wrong? It starts with "Three for the elven kings under the sky"

Narya: Originally given to Gil-galad (Elven King) who then gave it to Cirdan (not a king) who then gave it to Gandalf (not an elf, not a king)

Nenya: Originally given to Galadriel (Not a king) (I am secretly wishing for someone next season to go up to Galadriel and go "Hey, what's that ring?" "Nenya." "Nenya?" "Nenya business!")

Vilya: originally given to Gil-galad (Elven King but the same one that got Narya), who then gave it to Elrond (not a king)

I think this poem has some continuity problems.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Saulbrand is the best

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Bongo Bill posted:

In Tolkien, the "fading" concept was a spiritual longing felt more strongly by elves the more of a connection they had to the heyday of Valinor. The greater their exposure to that unchanging paradise, the harder they would find it to stay in Middle-Earth, which was subject to change and permanently hosed up by evil.

The one thing that every screen adaptation of any of Tolkien's works have in common is taking any bit of subtlety or nuance from the original work, and smashing it to bits.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

YaketySass posted:

*insert my usual rant here that the best way to adapt the Silmarillion would be an Animatrix-style collection of shorts illustrating the highlights of the book in a variety of styles*

I came.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Bugblatter posted:

Exhume the corpses of Arthur Rankin and bring Jules Bass out of retirement to have them finish adapting Tolkien's published works.

Ralph Bakshi is still alive!

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
Y'all are missing something huge with the "follow your nose" line.

It has been said before, but not by Gandalf.

...the stranger is clearly Toucan Sam

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

YaketySass posted:

can't wait for the Rings of Power fanedits

Here's my fan edit, saved SO much time

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

WoodrowSkillson posted:

i just don't get how they managed to make it feel like the forging of the rings, the namesake of the show, was an afterthought that they had to squeeze in.

This right here. And they did it in such a way that I have no idea how they'll dig themselves out of this lovely writing hole to forge the rest of the rings, which are the ones that Sauron actually had a hand in forging. They could have drawn it out for two episodes and forged the others first but noooo gotta include the weird "mithril stops Elves from fading" bit.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Gresh posted:

The costuming was mostly terrible and got they got MAJOR lore things like the Numenoreans and the forging of the rings of power completely wrong.

I don't remember, what did they get wrong about the Numenoreans?

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I watched the first Hobbit movie in the theater on opening day.
It was poo poo. I didn't see the rest.

Recently, a friend told me about the Cardinal Cut, which takes footage from all 3 movies and trims out anything that deviates from the book.

It was still poo poo.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

Gresh posted:

The Elves looked like otherworldly ethereal beings(because thats what they are, they were born in Valinor which is essentially ME's Heaven)

Minor nitpicking but the Elves were awakened in Middle Earth. The Valar invited them all to Valinor and some of the Sindarin Elves stayed behind and never went to Valinor.
Some went to Valinor and came back.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

CLAM DOWN posted:

didn't think this show could get worse, but lol

Are you sure that THIS show... With THESE show runners... Would be WORSE?

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

my bony fealty posted:

oh noo

ohhh nooooo

please leave Tom out of it

And making him and Goldberry be the ultimate source of all evil and a spider demon powerful enough to scare him is just wrong on so many levels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY

drunkill posted:

!

The biggest is that they got either the rights to use stories from the Silmarillion or use expanded parts of the Silmarillion instead of skirting some things or not using specific names as they did in season 1.

The way I read this is that they specifically only got Silmarillion rights for one story.

Ainulindalae

And it's the only thing that I am excited about after reading all of that.