Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Writers who are actually as talented as the S1 writers think they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

After a whole season of Sauron/Halbrand a) showing up inexplicably on the raft, b) bantering with randos in the streets of Numenor, c) pickpocketing and getting in stupid fist-fights, d) having occasional desultory conversations with Galadriel about I don't even remember what, the puzzle-box reveal at the end and the insane rush to get the rings forged all in the final episode with some "uhhhh put it the mithril in a circle, it will make the hyper encabulator flux through the spatial distortion field" babble felt about as organic as the BSG writers throwing darts to pick the Final Five.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

The goodbye scene was such a slavish cargo-cult recreation of the RotK ending it was just excruciating to watch, like a kid struggling to sound out a word

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

If they think they're being clever and teasing that he's someone other than Gandalf all through S2 and then in the final episode have him definitely be Gandalf,

... I won't be surprised :geno:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I must say I have no idea where half a billion dollars is getting spent.

As mentioned, yeah Numenor looks fuckin rad, but how much of a differentiator is that really? I just watched the latest Mandalorian which is a silly goof on a throwaway planet and there's a scene where they travel in a train over a cityscape that is every bit as detailed as the overhead shot of Armenelos that we're supposed to ooh and aah over.

These days where literally every movie has lavish CGI backdrops, I often find myself trying to identify what even makes a movie look distinctive; like what does it take in order for you to be able to see a single still shot of a landscape or establishing shot and go "Oh, that's Dune" or "oh, that's Avengers" or "oh, that's Storks". In so many cases they're all made up of so much wild frenetic action in endless chase scenes full of moving characters and flailing atmospheric elements that there's no telling. But — the harder I pay attention, the more it really doesn't all just blend together. You CAN tell one movie from another usually, and that's a big point in their favor because it takes a lot of work to establish and consistently execute a particular look and feel.

So where is that in RoP? I would have thought that if nothing else all that budget would have gone into huge, immersive visual spectacles. But instead we get things like:

*shot of video-gamey tower in Eregion, camera slowly orbiting it; we hear a boom and there's a massive explosion that blows out the windows*
*cut to interior of the tower; Celebrimbor is walking around looking worried, a bit of dust falls from the ceiling*

Like, can we get a little more effort here?

There's more interesting prop design and CGI work in Hello Tomorrow.

My assumption is that enormous budget all goes toward payroll, and it means you can have absolutely massive casts and crew handling filmmaking feats that have never been attempted before out of sheer unfeasibility. But there's nothing in RoP that seems groundbreaking or even cutting-edge really. Where did all that money go?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Bugblatter posted:

Yeah, it pioneered the use of live digital backdrops in a volume that Disney+ now uses for all its shows. It's sort of a modern equivalent of rear projection. It's great tech if used well but is prone to the same issues of keyed backdrops if not. Most of Disney's productions have used it in a lazy way, where they do very little in terms of physical prop work and just do everything with the volume. So you wind up with the same issue of the SW prequels where the actors are clearly in a 20m space with little in the fore-to-mid-ground. Like in Willow, whether the characters were in forests or mountains, the 20-meter area around them always has level ground with very few props, and the characters can never interact with the world. Action that requires vertical movement is very limited because that requires going outside. You can never have more characters than fit in the limited space.

Ahh, so they've invented the holodeck :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

covidstomper58 posted:

You are incorrect sir, nevar forget the twirly whirlies.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cuu1SKxSqOg

Am I hearing not one but two Wilhelm screams in there??

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Hobo Clown posted:

The only Hobbit movie I saw in theaters was the first one, and the only thing I remember about it was hating HFR

Have the studios stopped doing HFR? I haven't heard word one about it since the Hobbit movies, not even in the context of people arguing over whether it's good or bad. Only explanation I can think of is that they gave up and pretended it never happened

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Same but RoP :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

It's well known that in 1960, Tolkien went back and tried to rewrite The Hobbit in the more "grown-up" and "serious" tone of LotR.

He got as far as the Trolls scene and showed it to a friend who said "Uhhhhh... it's ... nice? But it's not The Hobbit"

So he gave up. And probably just as well

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe they'll make a prequel to Andor

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I mean it's one thing if it's transformation. But I guess the way I interpreted the reports of it was that they'd just straight up replaced the giant spider in the cave with a sexy lady, sitting in the dark in like ... a haunted mansion to seduce you on your way through Cirith Ungol

(don't tell me if that's what it actually is)

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Asgerd posted:

Based on how the first season went, a lot of people are going to spend season 2 insisting that the show couldn’t possibly be doing Plot Point X because of how stupid and obvious it would be. The show will then proceed to do it without a hint of irony. This will happen over and over again.

Corey Olsen will polish off at least a couple more of those jugs of rum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Maybe they've decided he wasn't Gandalf after all, everybody stop asking, blue wizard blue wizard *waving hands*