Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I don't have any problem with the costumes. Ostentatious colourful fabrics are more accurate to the historical societies that are the loose basis for the Numenorians anyway. The popular vision of Greeks and Romans wearing white all the time only owes to eighteenth century people looking at statues that the paint flaked off of.

If anything Ar-Pharzon should be wearing a gently caress-off purple robe made from twice as much fabric.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

My reading of Elven age : power has always been in terms of accumulated wisdom and craft. A being that lives hundreds or thousands of years at a physical peak learns all kinds of tricks and subtleties and technical skills and philosophical insights that add up. Galadriel may not have more mana points or whatever, but she is a dedicated scholar and studious magician who has had thousands of years to refine her knowledge and application thereof. It's just a straightforward implication of elven immortality.

And especially because so often the boundary between Tolkien's "magic" and "skill" is fuzzy (consider lembas or the Elven ropes), the idea that the age of Elves gives them greater ability to shape the world around them just ... follows.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah keep in mind the greatest work of magic is the creation of the silmarils. Another one is the creation of the elven ropes and cloaks gifted to the fellowship. Magic shows up far more as a way to create something like weapons or tools that subsequently do magic things.

or "magic" in the Arthur C Clarke way. Remember, Feanor is a skilled smith, not a magician.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Gresh posted:

This disparity here is jarring given that Numenor is supposed to be much more advanced than Gondor

You're comparing marines/sailors to heavy infantry/cavalry.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

posts a picture of fifteenth century plate armour beside a napoleonic auxilliary's uniform "wtf I thought that the nineteenth century was supposed to be more technologically advanced there isn't even maille on that thing"

it's entirely possible that the show might suck, but this fad of posting a few production stills and crowing about this shows how bad the show obviously will be is stupid and tedious and probably in bad faith

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

feedmyleg posted:

I'll watch this show and hopefully enjoy it. But it's not what I want out of a legendarium adaptation. I want an Animatrix-style Silmarillion movie or show. Something that feels like mythology, not grounded history. I don't resent this show for not being that, but I must say that my heart isn't super into what it actually is. I hope it's a great version of that, though, and I hope I fall for it.

I think a lot of fans are hating this show more for what it isn't than what it is. Nitpicking about the armor and such is likely just many people struggling to articulate their dissatisfaction.

Criticism and suspicion are fine but much (not implicating you here) of the criticism and suspicion so far have so little depth and variety that they could be made into a YTMND

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

It's probably mosaic tile work not paint.

I'm digging the Hagia Sophia there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The shot from the back is reversed so the two statues have switched places (the points on the crowns are the giveaway) and now they're both holding their right arms up. You can see the back of the elbow of the left arm of the statue which is now on the right.

Neat! The whole landscape frame is flipped! Parse out the path of the river! In the top one it takes a hard turn to the left but in the bottom one that turn would have had to be to the right if looking out from the statues