Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

watched a dude play pinball really well today, think i might get into that

aw frig aw dang it posted:

pinball is super fun

aw frig aw dang it posted:

pinball is super fun

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
pinballs a good hobby and I've been doing it for a good bit now

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i like playing pinball and it seems fun to build a table. but maintaining a pinball table sounds like a massive pain in the butt

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to have a pinball simulator on the amiga which was extremely excellent and cool graphics

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Achmed Jones posted:

i like playing pinball and it seems fun to build a table. but maintaining a pinball table sounds like a massive pain in the butt

it is a massive pain, but it's also hella fun for a certain type of mind.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

pinball fx3 is real good

pinball arcade is less good but it has black knight 2000

visual pinball tables are okay

the pinball hall of fame in vegas is really cool

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I should clarify: the Williams pinball recreations in FX3 are real good, I can't speak much to the original tables

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I like to play Funhouse because you get to torment a little wooden man

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

i like the space cadet game that came with windows xp

aw frig aw dang it
Jun 1, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

pinball fx3 is real good

pinball arcade is less good but it has black knight 2000

visual pinball tables are okay

the pinball hall of fame in vegas is really cool

pinball arcade used to be extremely good but then they lost the rights to a whole bunch of tables and now yeah it's not the best

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

i like the space cadet game that came with windows xp

i got so good at space cadet i probably have the high score on this forum if not the internet

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Silver Alicorn posted:

I like to play Funhouse because you get to torment a little wooden man

one of my favorite games. i'm really looking forward to playing a machine that's been upgraded to funhouse 2.0: https://www.pinballremakes.com/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roosevelt posted:

i got so good at space cadet i probably have the high score on this forum if not the internet

that gameo wns

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I was at a barcade with a friend and we just played pinball. I totally should just come here everyday.

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I was at a barcade with a friend and we just played pinball. I totally should just come here everyday.

that was my life before the pandemic -- lived in a tiny (210sqft) apartment and spent every evening in a barcade playing pinball. just before the pandemic i fortunately moved into a house, but now i never leave it.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Old friend of mine created the pinball map app way back in the day, wonder if it's still going.

One of my regular haunts back in SF had Medieval Madness for years and one of the funnest Fun Facts I know is that Tina Fey is the damsel in distress for it, basically just going "ahhhh!!". Was one of her first jobs back in Chicago before she had any money

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

medieval madness is my favorite table by a pretty wide margin. im glad to learn that fun fact :tipshat:

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

Fortaleza posted:

one of the funnest Fun Facts I know is that Tina Fey is the damsel in distress for it, basically just going "ahhhh!!". Was one of her first jobs back in Chicago before she had any money

she did a few of the princess voices. scott adsit (also on 30 rock) did a bunch of the male voices

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

she did a few of the princess voices. scott adsit (also on 30 rock) did a bunch of the male voices

Makes sense, they knew each other already back then via Second City iirc

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

One of my regular haunts back in SF had Medieval Madness for years and one of the funnest Fun Facts I know is that Tina Fey is the damsel in distress for it, basically just going "ahhhh!!". Was one of her first jobs back in Chicago before she had any money

That's really cool.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

I'm not oging touside my apartment. How do the pinball video games work? Do you have to buy the pinball tables within the game or does each one support some subset?

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

they're trash compared to the real thing.

a huge part of the joy of pinball is sliding the game six inches to the left to save a ball and marveling at the fact you only got a double danger out of it

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

pinball rocks, spent 3 hours today at an arcade bar playing pinball

outhole surfer
Mar 18, 2003

told you so

find more machines here: https://pinballmap.com/

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

nudgenudgetilt posted:

one of my favorite games. i'm really looking forward to playing a machine that's been upgraded to funhouse 2.0: https://www.pinballremakes.com/

they have it at the pinball hall of fame. I checked it out but was disappointed because I really like classic tables. also it ate a dollar

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Scud Hansen posted:

OP when my roommate got covid and I had to quarantine in the basement, I got really into the idea of aluminum sandcasting because of these books I found by a David Gingery.

It turns out you can pack sloppy wet sand around a form of some sort, crack it in half, and then pour aluminum from melted beer cans into the mold. The book series takes you through building a fully functioning metal lathe from beer cans and sand.

In the two weeks while everyone was sick I built the charcoal kiln for melting aluminum and a pair of metal tongs for lifting a crucible (that i bought online) out and pouring into muffin tins.

For two months I have scavenged every beverage can in sight to add to my hoard. The next non-rainy day, I am going to try to fire the kiln and melt them.

Hope this helps.

any update on this? v interested

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

started doing puzzles, pretty fun would recommend

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

AnimeIsTrash posted:

started doing puzzles, pretty fun would recommend

I sometimes do puzzles with a friend. i like it because when you can’t think of something to say you can just talk about the puzzle and how bullshit it is that all the goddamn pieces look similar.

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Should really spend more time on my hobbies as opposed to just sorta existing in a liminal state in my spare time.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InternetOfTwinks posted:

Should really spend more time on my hobbies as opposed to just sorta existing in a liminal state in my spare time.

same but that would require executive function and expense of energy, which, lmao

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
^^ this guy gets it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i’ll start doing something and the thought will pop into my head “ah I can’t be bothered” and just like that all motivation to carry on doing whatever instantly vanishes and then I kind of just sit there

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
Yeah gently caress it, I'm jamming tonight. Beats the neurotic bullshit cycle.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
good poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
try drugs OP

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

i’ll start doing something and the thought will pop into my head “ah I can’t be bothered” and just like that all motivation to carry on doing whatever instantly vanishes and then I kind of just sit there

do you think time is a limited resource? it’s endless, op